Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Would You Stick With The Defensive Midfielder Way Of Play Next Season?

Read 6499 times
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Would You Stick With The Defensive Midfielder Way Of Play Next Season?
      Mar 04, 2011 03:05:41 pm
      Seems to be a reason Lucas is slated regularly, which is due to him not being a DM.

Would you buy a decent DM in the summer, or would you abandon it for a more pass and move attacking approach?

Thoughts peeps?

Does DM system work for you - do you appreciate it? or do you think it makes the way we play boring?

Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Re: Would You Stick With The Defensive Midfielder Way Of Play Next Season?
      Reply #1: Mar 04, 2011 03:10:18 pm
      I have no problem with that system providing we have the right personnel. It's a common misconception that such a system is too defensive when in fact, having a good holding midfielder means the rest of the team can afford to play more offensively.
      I love the idea of having a teeam full of attack-minded players but you would have to have the very best players available to pull that off. 
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #2: Mar 04, 2011 03:13:28 pm
      I think Lucas would be complimented well with a good sound defensive midfielder who is very good at breaking down the oppositions attacks.

Whether it be in a 4-3-3 or 3-5-2, I reckon a sound defensive midfielder would be a good signing.

I'd like to see Lucas be given a bit more freedom maybe. This stat of his pass completion, I wouldn't mind if that stat started to fall away a little bit in exchange for him being a little riskier.

Doesn't mean we can't play attacking, attractive football. Sign a good hard-working defensive midfielder, to get the ball back to our more attacking players. Jay Spearing could do this better than Poulsen until the end of the season maybe?
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #3: Mar 04, 2011 03:14:24 pm
      we could do with a midfielder who can attack and defend,a man who can instill fear in our opponents ,a man like that would be worth 10 lucas,10 coles.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #4: Mar 04, 2011 03:15:48 pm
      It's horses for causes, I don't see us sticking to one formation, so having one would be beneficial to the squad.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #5: Mar 04, 2011 03:16:26 pm
      A good defensive midfielder I feel is a staple of good attacking teams. It gives your attackers more freedom to focus on the other half of the pitch. Take Barcelona, for instance. Their attack is based largely on the efficiency of their fullbacks. What gives them the license to move so far forward? The fact that their defensive midfielder essentially becomes a 3rd centerback.

I think a true DM and a Left Back would solve a litany of problems next season.
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      Reply #6: Mar 04, 2011 03:19:07 pm
      we could do with a midfielder who can attack and defend,a man who can instill fear in our opponents ,a man like that would be worth 10 lucas,10 coles.

10 lucas? 10 coles? we need a hero.. a superhero, infact don't we already have one?

Not too sure about him as a DM though. ;) Sorry for the sarcasm mate.
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      Reply #7: Mar 04, 2011 03:20:38 pm
      But seriously who would be the best defensive midfielder to sign?

How has Lass Diarra been playing over in Madrid?
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #8: Mar 04, 2011 03:21:39 pm

10 lucas? 10 coles? we need a hero.. a superhero, infact don't we already have one?

Not too sure about him as a DM though. ;) Sorry for the sarcasm mate.
      superman looks like kuyt a little bit.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #9: Mar 04, 2011 03:25:24 pm
      Of course would every successful team employs one, we haven't had a proper one and why we have been so sh*te away from home this year
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #10: Mar 04, 2011 03:34:03 pm
      We badly need a midfielder who can stick some crunching tackles, dominate the centre of the park and pass the ball after winning it. That's not going to be cheap. Then we can move away from 5 at the back. We also need a less injury prone version of Dagger. When he is out we miss a defender that can play of defense. It's these constraints that have dictated our formation selection. That's without mentioning the left side issues
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #11: Mar 04, 2011 03:34:27 pm
      Not a proper defensive mid. Just one who plays deeper and still steps in to midfield and is part of our attack as well.

Sort of the role Lucas played against Chelsea. It worked wonders for the whole team having someone who was there to shut the opponent but still pick a moment to burst forward and not just sit back and wait for the opponent to get the ball back before he is needed again.
      MaxC
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 504 posts | 15 
      Reply #12: Mar 04, 2011 03:35:04 pm
      Thats would cost 100 million pounds my friend.
      MaxC
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 504 posts | 15 
      Reply #13: Mar 04, 2011 03:38:13 pm
      Next season i would like the team to play more as a unit. That is to defend and attack together like clockwork. And i wouldn't mind Mexes as a free transfer.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #14: Mar 04, 2011 03:39:53 pm
      Our midfielder has clearly not worked away from hoe this season so something has to give. To often our midfield has been dominated by so called weaker teams midfield
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #15: Mar 04, 2011 03:53:58 pm
      If we go buy one yeah no problem. If we dont buy one then drop the idea and play 2 central lads who can play ball and put a shift in

Lucas is not a defensive midfielder though he is trying. Him aside what other options are there (please dont say donkey boy Poulsen) Spearing? Ask Stevie to do it? CAnt see him not wanting to play further on.

Buy or dont set up that system for me so
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #16: Mar 04, 2011 05:19:25 pm
      In the system like the 4-3-3 one, which I would like Liverpool to use next season as it really is the way forward. A 2 man centre midfield really relies on both midfielders being comfortable attacking and defending. Both must have plenty of energy, drive and passion and have a very good understand with each other and have brilliant positioning. This system only works against teams playing with 4 in midfield as it obvious in football that 3 CM's will piss all over 2. They will simply pass them out of it. I don't think Stevie or Raul have the required attributes to succeed in this system, in their positioning and tackling.

As for Liverpool, I would try employ a defensive midfielder in a 3 man midfield system. But not someone who can just break up the play with great tackling and covering a la Masch or Sissoko, but someone who can tackle, cover but also actually pass the ball forward to our more creative players. Even if it only 5-10 yards away, it is still forward thinking, creative. Someone who does this brilliantly is Busquets, in my eyes he is a better version of Lucas. No offence to Lucas or anythin, not putting him down or calling him sh*t but he just is a better version of him.

One thing that having a 3 man midfield can offer is the speed at how the play can be switched from side to side. If you think about it, our right back has the ball and cant pass directly pass to the right wing area. He has a choice, lump it forward in hope, or pass it inside to this holding midfielder. This holding midfielder can quickly distribute the ball to the left hand side of the pitch, due to 2 advantages. 1, because the ball was on the right hand side of the pitch just a few seconds ago, the marking will be loose on both the left back but also the left wing area. 2 as he is the holding player in a 3 man midfield,the other 2 midfielders will be marked, thus giving him more space and time to pass the ball. This quickness in switching play really does help unlock defenses due to the scrambling of defenders to cover ground. 
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #17: Mar 04, 2011 05:44:11 pm
       I would say the problems are when we play the top 4/5 teams, we must compete very hard or dominate the mid-field to have a chance of beating them, I think the Chelsea game was a good example due to there bad tactics and KK clever tactics we were able to control most of the mid-field play and won the game
       Now when we play lesser teams you do not have to worry about the oppositions players as much and we should and be more attack minded, let them worry about us.
       We need defensive tactics at time but we have mid-field player can play attacking football when need be. I am sure KK will make LFC a much more forward thinking team next year
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #18: Mar 04, 2011 07:05:16 pm
      I remember when we had Mash and Alonso as our two deepest central midfielders and thinking we had the 2 important things, Tackling ability to be able to win the ball and technical ability to out pass our opponents. With Lucas being our only deep laying midfielder we have neither, he is an okay tackler and he's an okay passer but nothing that'll set the world alight. I think we should try to get 2 centre mid's and copy the Alonso Mash partner ship, we could easily get M'villa to do the Mash role but I don't think we could get anyone in to do the Alonso role, closest player to Alonso ATM is Sahin and we couldn't bring him here. I think it would be best to get a player who can do both but mainly used for his technical ability. Meireles is the most technical midfielder we have, I don't think Gerrard as that technical, I see him as a more engine, goalscorer midfielder.

I would love us to try to get 2 midfielders who are very good technically and also who can get there foot stuck in when the going gets tough (sadly Meireles has not done that so far), I would try getting Benega and Martinez, both technically top class and can get stuck in when need be. You can sell Poulson, Spearing, Cole and possible keep Lucas because he works 110% every game and is attitude is second to none and would probably play better knowing he's not under as much pressure.

If we had 2 players like them 2 I think we would then be able to able get our pass and move game going and would be able to get the ball to the front men more often. What is happening at the moment is when the defender receives the ball and passes it to the deep midfielder (Lucas for example), opposing players just presses everyone in front of the ball and it forces us to hoof it up field or back to the defender or forces a player to come deep to receive the ball (Gerrard numerous times against West ham for example)

Against West ham Meireles had very little defense duties that game and Gerrard just was to lazy to get back or whatever, give him the benefit of the doubt because he was coming back from injury but I've seen it from him all season. Remember Parker's goal, Lucas was on his own against a couple players and they did a one-two to get past him and Parker did that fantastic flick. If we had 2 midfielders who just sat from a deeper position we probably would have not conceded because they wouldn't of been allowed to do that one-two.

Anyway I think we should play 3 in the middle but with 2 starting from deep positions and the other 1 given full license to attack. If Meireles can start putting his foot in I can see him as a deeper midfielder, like he's played for Portugal, I don't think its his best position but I don't think it benefits the team to have 2 attacking midfielders who just attack wondrously and doesn't help defensively. If we did that I think we would starting leaking more goals.
      « Last Edit: Mar 04, 2011 07:22:16 pm by lfc_ynwa »
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,352 posts | 1631 
      Reply #19: Mar 04, 2011 07:22:51 pm
      Well i remember when we had Case and Souness and there wasn,t many a better tackler than him ,and we battered teams all round the park, had enough of this defensive midfielder bollox , that just negates the team and takes a player out if that is solely his job , surely to fck we can get a player who can pass the ball and put in his fair shift in tackles around the park.

As the great man once said make your players work and your workers play . Then we will have a team.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #20: Mar 04, 2011 07:50:20 pm
      If we bought a defensive midfielder, then I dont think Lucas would be a starter.

Do we really need one? I think Lucas can do a job behind 2 other midfielders.

We need a centre back, left back and two wingers.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #21: Mar 04, 2011 07:58:12 pm
      Can he because he hasn't done it very well in 90 % of our away games, were our midfield has been outbattled easily by the opposition midfield. Clear as day we need a defensive midfielder
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #22: Mar 04, 2011 08:23:15 pm
      I think we should stick with a defensive mid, although get somebody in, in the summer. We need options and depth in our squad and this is a way of doing that
      Don77

• 6,540 posts | 1091 
      Reply #23: Mar 04, 2011 09:03:26 pm
      I like the 4-3-3 or 4-1-2-3 formation so a good defensive player is very important for me and we do not have a player good enough for the role at the moment.

So a defensive player in the summer along with a cb, a lb and an attacking midfielder would be very nice indeed !!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #24: Mar 04, 2011 09:06:25 pm
      I'd love us to play 4-1-2-3. We need three key first team players in the summer to make it work
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #25: Mar 04, 2011 09:17:21 pm
      There is nothing worng wit the Defensive midfielder approach aslong as you have the right players to maintain the balance in the starting XI as proven by 08/09 season.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #26: Mar 04, 2011 09:22:04 pm
      No matter what formation we play next season I do think we need a proper defensive midfielder. He doesn't have to be just a ball winner, just a player who knows the position, can break up play and also get the ball moving.

I also feel this player is important for our full backs and Glen Johnson in particular. One thing I always noticed when Mascherano was here was how quickly he got into position and covered Glen when he attacked. All the teams that play with attacking full backs have at least one midfield player who fills in and covers the attack of either full back.

If we buy a midfielder such as M'Vila, Banega, Diarra and possibly have Aquilani back then a midfield squad of Gerrard, Lucas Meireles, M'Vila, Aquilani and Shelvey for example looks very strong with plenty of options.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #27: Mar 04, 2011 09:31:21 pm
      This is kinda a difficult situation for us.

I think we probably need one who really, just, sits deep to stop opposition attacks. All he has to do is just break up play using his strength and tackling qualities to win the ball from the centre and either sides, gives the ball to a more qualified playmaker (something which we've been lacking since Alonso's departure) and occasionally get that odd goal.

Before Mascherano left, I felt his loss would be nothing compared to that of Alonso's but I have to admit I'm wrong. We're far more exposed easily now that we were last season.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #28: Mar 04, 2011 09:31:46 pm
       It depends on who we've got playing for us. One thing is certain though IMHO, if you want to challenge for the top honours we'll need much better midfielders to be first team regulars than Lucas. It doesn't matter how many chalkboards people produce, he isn't good enough.   
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #29: Mar 04, 2011 10:19:53 pm
      It depends on who we've got playing for us. One thing is certain though IMHO, if you want to challenge for the top honours we'll need much better midfielders to be first team regulars than Lucas. It doesn't matter how many chalkboards people produce, he isn't good enough.   
      Man United are top of the table with a very average performing Fletcher this season.

I think Lucas is definitely good enough to be a Liverpool player.

Maybe not first team every week, but he was superb away at Chelsea and has been one of our best performers in the last year.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #30: Mar 04, 2011 11:12:48 pm
      This is going to turn in to a Lucas thread again. I'm running :)

4-1-2-3 would be great. Think that might suit us almost perfectly going forward.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #31: Mar 04, 2011 11:30:10 pm
      Yes I think a top quality defensive midfielder is the way to go. If we ever get two world class centre backs we could perhaps manage without one but imo its easier to find and buy a top defensive midfielder than 2 world class centrebacks.

4-1-2-3 or 4-1-3-2 would both suit our top players (apart from maybe Johnson who I feel benefits more from 3 at the back.) We could even play 4-2-3-1 when the occasion demands it with Suarez playing behind Carroll.

I am not as familiar with most of the foreign players as most of you seem to be so I won't suggest anyone, just that we could do with someone better than Lucas.     
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #32: Mar 04, 2011 11:35:47 pm
      Posted this in the Lucas thread on this subject:

What I would like to see happening to our central midfield this summer is the following. Ofcourse this all depends on what kind of formation you prefer. But currently our central midfield is a bit of a mess, while it's the backbone of the team. We should always try to fill positions with one class player and a good backup player/upcoming talent. We have Poulsen, Spearing, Cole, Lucas, Gerrard, Meireles, Suso and Shelvey. I say, get rid of Poulsen, Spearing, and Cole. Get a class DM in, make him battle it out with Lucas. Get a class CM playmaker in, make Shelvey backup. Gerrard and Meireles for the AMC position. And Suso should be given time in CM and AMC next season in cup games etc. That should do the trick in my opinion.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #33: Mar 04, 2011 11:42:02 pm
      Posted this in the Lucas thread on this subject:

More or less how I see it Dexter. Also the CM playmaker you talk about could be Aquilani if we could get him back which would leave us money to strengthen other areas such as LB and the wide players.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #34: Mar 05, 2011 12:16:57 am
      I actually agree with Dexter.

I think what is basically needed is to replace the void left by Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano to bring back that three midfielders in the centre which worked so well for us back in 2007-2009.

I can't think of anyone who'd fit those two positions (other than Alonso and Masch themselves ;D), though.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #35: Mar 05, 2011 01:18:50 pm
      I would sign Nuri Sahin; a good Dm who is goodd technically and can go forward.
      -Stick with a 4-3-3 buy a LB and two AM/wingers (walcott/Turan)

I trust Kenny and I'm SURE he'll do what is the best
      YNWA
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #36: Mar 05, 2011 01:43:18 pm
      To be honest I'd go back back in for Masch, although some hate him, just remember he left under a cloud that cloud being Hicks & Gillett, Purslow, Broughton & Roy Rub My Chin Hodgson.

Think about it, Masch said the club did not do anything to keep the players, think Purslow putting Clauses in both Nando's and Pepe's contracts, what could he have told Masch ?

Bear in mind for a moment that the money from Masch's sale resulted in the club having a negative transfer budet again.(Epic Swindle)

Now if we were to get Masch on the cheap too, I'd also go after Banega two players who would compliment each other as Masch is Masch and Banega is as close as your going to get for Alonso in terms of a deep lying play maker, the plus side is they also play together for Argentina, so they will already have some form of understanding and probably wouldnt take as long to gel.

Aguero Messi anyone.  :f_whistle:

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #37: Mar 05, 2011 01:46:58 pm
      To be honest I'd go back back in for Masch, although some hate him, just remember he left under a cloud that cloud being Hicks & Gillett, Purslow, Broughton & Roy Rub My Chin Hodgson.

Think about it, Masch said the club did not do anything to keep the players, think Purslow putting Clauses in both Nando's and Pepe's contracts, what could he have told Masch ?

Bear in mind for a moment that the money from Masch's sale resulted in the club having a negative transfer budet again.(Epic Swindle)

Now if we were to get Masch on the cheap too, I'd also go after Banega two players who would compliment each other as Masch is Masch and Banega is as close as your going to get for Alonso in terms of a deep lying play maker, the plus side is they also play together for Argentina, so they will already have some form of understanding and probably wouldnt take as long to gel.

Aguero Messi anyone.  :f_whistle:

Still refused to pull on the jersey and play for the club. One of the most dis-respective things you can do the club.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #38: Mar 05, 2011 01:49:18 pm

Aguero Messi anyone.  :f_whistle:

To be fair to Mascherano, he was told he was allowed to leave after last season, didn't he?

The only trouble with him was that he refused to play against Man City - showing a distinch lack of respect to Roy Hodgson and the club.

I don't hate him but felt he was unprofessional to refuse playing but it looks really funny that he's always on the bench after trying so hard to leave England.

I agree with you, though. We should try Messi and Aguero as well and play this :laugh:

Suarez       Carroll         Messi

Aguero

In a 4-2-4 formation :lmao:
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #39: Mar 05, 2011 01:56:46 pm
      Still refused to pull on the jersey and play for the club. One of the most dis-respective things you can do the club.

Thats what I'm saying though, Mascherano was told he could leave that much we know is true, then the club played hardball almost scuppering the move he had been promised.

Purslow inserted clauses in Torres and Reina's contract stating they could not leave whilst the sale was in process, did he say the same to Masch leaving him no alternative but to force through the move ?

I for one would not rule out the possibility of real quality returning to the club if it helps us to progress, Masch knows the league inside out and the club inside out, has friendhsips with players who are here, so he wouldn't take a season or so to get used to the league that most foreign imports need.

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #40: Mar 05, 2011 02:02:37 pm
      Thats what I'm saying though, Mascherano was told he could leave that much we know is true, then the club played hardball almost scuppering the move he had been promised.

Purslow inserted clauses in Torres and Reina's contract stating they could not leave whilst the sale was in process, did he say the same to Masch leaving him no alternative but to force through the move ?

I for one would not rule out the possibility of real quality returning to the club if it helps us to progress, Masch knows the league inside out and the club inside out, has friendhsips with players who are here, so he wouldn't take a season or so to get used to the league that most foreign imports need.

You could say he was forced out, but he still did it in a such undignified way. A week before that City game, he played against Arsenal and was brilliant, as if there was nothing wrong with the lad. Then a week later he won't play, wants to leave immediately. Was it Purslow showing him the door or was it something else?

Why promise a player they could leave the club? Why not say, 12 months of top quality football, give your all and we'll grant you the move. Look at the dignified fashion Alonso left the club and even he handed in a transfer request. He wanted the move but he acted professional and stuck by his word, hell even Ronaldo did it.

If Masch had played that City game, gave his all then signed for Barca the morning after, I think alot of people would have a different opinion of him, me included. You just can't refuse to play and expect to play. Also his quotes about us there a few months back didn't help.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #41: Mar 05, 2011 02:11:47 pm

If Masch had played that City game, gave his all then signed for Barca the morning after, I think alot of people would have a different opinion of him, me included. You just can't refuse to play and expect to play. Also his quotes about us there a few months back didn't help.

The ability to forgive and forget is a great human trait, even more so if you get him back cheap and he's part of a title winning team.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #42: Mar 05, 2011 02:15:46 pm
      I feel he burnt his bridges when he moved and how he acted both during and after he signed for Barcelona. Also claiming Torres finally got a move to a 'big club' that he dreamed of was a kick in a pants.

I wouldn't want him back. Good player, but F**k him with that attitude.

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #43: Mar 05, 2011 02:23:51 pm
      The ability to forgive and forget is a great human trait, even more so if you get him back cheap and he's part of a title winning team.

True, it is a great human trait but as the great Bill Shankly once said “Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.”

Fowler was forced out when he left, but he remained dignified and was welcomed back with very open arms. (what a day that was :)) They way Masch talked about us after he left was like kicking us while we were down. There was 2 things he really did wrong when leaving and when he left. If it was only the one, well then it would have been easier to forgive and forget.

Get his missus to do a naked lap of Anfield and it may sweeten the return ;D
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #44: Mar 05, 2011 02:24:38 pm
      I feel he burnt his bridges when he moved and how he acted both during and after he signed for Barcelona. Also claiming Torres finally got a move to a 'big club' that he dreamed of was a kick in a pants.

I wouldn't want him back. Good player, but F**k him with that attitude.

I'm sure there will be many that will agree as there will be many that will disagree, but lets say for a moment it did become a reality and he helped us to win a league with some outstanding displays, would you forgive him ?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #45: Mar 05, 2011 02:36:30 pm
      I'm sure there will be many that will agree as there will be many that will disagree, but lets say for a moment it did become a reality and he helped us to win a league with some outstanding displays, would you forgive him ?

Obviously, but a pretty far fetched way of looking at it.

If we signed El Hadji Diouf for 20m and he scored his only goal of the season to win the last game of the season and win us the title, we'd still be opposed to the signing wouldn't we?
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #46: Mar 05, 2011 02:40:44 pm
      Mascherano, no thanks. We're acting like there aren't any other good DMs out there. He wanted to leave for a reason, what has changed?
      Let him rot on Barca's bench.

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #47: Mar 05, 2011 02:42:58 pm
      I hate Diouf, and watching the old-firm the other night only confirmed that for me. I actually thought of him too when thinking of players to come back to the club and do something good for us.

Obviously is Masch did come back, I would support him. After all he is playing for Liverpool but it would very hard to sing his name, especially after some of the things I've said about him.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #48: Mar 05, 2011 02:46:09 pm

If we signed El Hadji Diouf for 20m and he scored his only goal of the season to win the last game of the season and win us the title, we'd still be opposed to the signing wouldn't we?

I'd always be opposed to Diuof, not because of the manner he left but because of the manner of his persona, he's a vile disgusting person and epitomises everything that is wrong with the modern footballer.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,352 posts | 1631 
      Reply #49: Mar 05, 2011 02:48:19 pm
      Too true the ability to forgive and forget is a trait ,but so is the ability to harbour grudges , life is way to short to harbour grudges it dont get you anywhere , the cloud that hangs over Masch is the same cloud that blew away when the two fckwits were ousted and everything that happened in that period should be put to bed with it .We are in a new era lets look forward and smile ,none of us know what was really going on behind the scenes at that time except for rape and pillage but its gone and so are the things that went with it ,so perhaps we should give him another chance .

If and its a big if , he wanted to come back sure he could do a job for us ,while i dont particularly like a one dimensional player perhaps Kenny could get more out of him .
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,352 posts | 1631 
      Reply #50: Mar 05, 2011 02:50:20 pm
      Obviously, but a pretty far fetched way of looking at it.

I wouldn,t even let that c**t come into anfield let alone re sign the fcker oh no no no. one horrible mother fcker.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #51: Mar 05, 2011 05:22:09 pm
      Masch back at Anfield? no f***in way, as much as i admired Masch when he was in his pomp, since Rafa went he no longer had the desire to give his all for LFC, he nailed his colours to the mast, so F**k him, whether his attitude was down to Roy's negs or Purslimes clauses are irrelevant, he was contracted to the club, ie; we payed his wages, he should have given 100% regardless, he didn't and got petulant and refused to play for the club, thats inforgivable in my book, he being a so called professional sportsman should know better and acted in a more civil and dignified manner, made his feelings known to the Manager, his peers, the owners and handed in a transfer request, or, see out the remainder of the season and then act accordingly, he left leaving a lot of mis feeling and that still lingers around like a old fart, thanks but no thanks, we want and need players you can trust to give 100% every game not just when they feel like it.
      MaxC
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 504 posts | 15 
      Reply #52: Mar 05, 2011 05:48:36 pm
      If he will help improve our position in the table i have no problem with him coming back. good players attract good players and Masch is a great player and at the right age. Although i don't see him returning because of the speculations linking busquets to Machester united.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #53: Mar 06, 2011 07:32:48 am
      Toulalan. 4-4-2

Toulanlan
      Gerrard.              Ashley young
                    Meireles
               Suarez. Carroll

Gerrard and young to primarily play on their designated wings but with license to interchange. Toulalan can tackle and pick a pass, the answer to our DM issue

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #54: Mar 06, 2011 11:07:37 am
      I think lucas is o.k. as a player, just not top drawer. When he played further up the pitch he looked more capable but as a defensive player, he just aint powerfull enough and get's pushed around to easily. If you have top quality technically gifted players in mid field, the opposition are more often on the back foot so the defensive qualities are not quite so important in the middle, although you then need quality defenders who just don't hoof the ball. Just a willingness to work and give 100 % all round makes a huge difference.
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,266 posts | 281 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #55: Mar 06, 2011 04:13:13 pm
      i honestly think the defensive midfielder player is a myth as it showed today and all you need is 2 good centre midfielders that are disaplined and can play together and if you keep the ball more and press forward breeds less negativitity
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #56: Mar 06, 2011 04:38:47 pm
      If i didn't explain myself clear before, today was the perfect example of how i'd play, especially at home.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #57: Mar 06, 2011 04:46:43 pm
      Gerrard dint get much of a mention but he was very very disciplined today and that is a huge credit to him.He could play like that for another 5 years or more.Letting Raul push forward to support the strikers is brilliant. kenny is such a clever manager isn't he.
      HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      • If I'm not back in 15 minutes.....wait longer
      Reply #58: Mar 06, 2011 04:50:50 pm
      We are playing fluid football with the midfield interchanging going forward and getting back as a unit. Cant be arsed with Rigid Roy formations. Just let them express themselves
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #59: Mar 06, 2011 04:53:18 pm
      i honestly think the defensive midfielder player is a myth as it showed today and all you need is 2 good centre midfielders that are disaplined and can play together and if you keep the ball more and press forward breeds less negativitity
      Obviously there isn't just one succesful way to play football, there isn't one ultimate formation. The key is to have a good balance, whether that be with 2 central box to box type midfielders or with 1 DM and 1 more creative playmaker type midfielder. And it's not just those 2 positions that matter either.
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,266 posts | 281 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #60: Mar 06, 2011 05:05:02 pm
      Yea true mate but that doesnt mean a change in formation means youve GOT to have a DM

When you got less of the ball 1 of your central midfielders drops deeper when the time calls for it
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,332 posts | 183 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #61: Mar 06, 2011 06:03:46 pm
      I honestly think the defensive midfielder player is a myth as it showed today and all you need is 2 good centre midfielders that are disaplined and can play together and if you keep the ball more and press forward breeds less negativitity

That's kind of a post-match opinion, really. I know we won 3-1 but you have to admit at times we just couldn't put pressure on them in the midfield and showed no way to get the ball back without needing one of the back four to get involved, which means we we're recovering the ball way too deep into our half.

It's not about negativity, it's about being realistic. I think that if Liverpool wants to keep going forward, we need to have tactical flexibility. TBH, MU harldy has a bulldozer-like midfield with Scholes and Carrick not really being phisycally impressive, but look at how we got bullied at Upton Park. We can do with this formation with more free-flowing attacking teams but sometimes you need to get messy and our midfield as it is doesn't seem up to it IMHO.
      craglad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,009 posts | 25 
      Reply #62: Mar 06, 2011 10:44:30 pm
      Maybe Didi will resign?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #63: Mar 06, 2011 10:52:19 pm
      Kenny's idea is fluidity.

However many central midfielders play, they all must be able to do some tackling, pass and only move up to join attacks. We won't sign a Masch style player under Kenny I don't think. It will be someone who can offer more, a proper central midfielder. Gerrard did his role much better today and we ended up winning (not saying it was solely down to him by the way). If Lucas pushed up then Gerrard held position and I remember Steven pushing up in the second half once and Raul had dropped to cover.

So next season, I doubt we will have a sole defensive midfielder. They all must be more complete. We need to improve on how it works away from home though.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #64: Mar 06, 2011 10:58:38 pm
      Gerrard did his role much better today and we ended up winning (not saying it was solely down to him by the way). If Lucas pushed up then Gerrard held position and I remember Steven pushing up in the second half once and Raul had dropped to cover.

I think this point is important one Chats as like you I thought Gerrard was excellent today and we have not always seen him or Raul for that matter do this often enough this season.

Agree that Kenny seems to prefer a fluid midfield but someone will have to do the defensive side of the game and many times this season it has tended to be Lucas as he has been the one to show the most responsibility even if it is not the strongest part of his game.

I feel that even in Kenny's fluid midfield we still need a defensively minded player but like you say one that can offer a whole lot more as well.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #65: Mar 06, 2011 11:09:50 pm
      gerrard played well today ,he managed well enough to get back and defend for johnson ,and had a couple of swipes at goal what more could we ask for except a top class anchorman
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #66: Mar 06, 2011 11:52:29 pm
      Correct me if im wrong but i think Lucas is great in the role of holding or defensive mid.

He is a ever improving defender and has the silky passing and temperament to play safe but smart balls out of our half.

I like him back there getting the balls nearly 100 % of the time to the better creative players rather then getting the ball in a advanced position and having to be forced to play the killer pass.

Quick Reply