Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Would You Stick With The Defensive Midfielder Way Of Play Next Season?

Read 6500 times
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,540 posts | 1091 
      Re: Would You Stick With The Defensive Midfielder Way Of Play Next Season?
      Reply #23: Mar 04, 2011 09:03:26 pm
      I like the 4-3-3 or 4-1-2-3 formation so a good defensive player is very important for me and we do not have a player good enough for the role at the moment.

So a defensive player in the summer along with a cb, a lb and an attacking midfielder would be very nice indeed !!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #24: Mar 04, 2011 09:06:25 pm
      I'd love us to play 4-1-2-3. We need three key first team players in the summer to make it work
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #25: Mar 04, 2011 09:17:21 pm
      There is nothing worng wit the Defensive midfielder approach aslong as you have the right players to maintain the balance in the starting XI as proven by 08/09 season.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #26: Mar 04, 2011 09:22:04 pm
      No matter what formation we play next season I do think we need a proper defensive midfielder. He doesn't have to be just a ball winner, just a player who knows the position, can break up play and also get the ball moving.

I also feel this player is important for our full backs and Glen Johnson in particular. One thing I always noticed when Mascherano was here was how quickly he got into position and covered Glen when he attacked. All the teams that play with attacking full backs have at least one midfield player who fills in and covers the attack of either full back.

If we buy a midfielder such as M'Vila, Banega, Diarra and possibly have Aquilani back then a midfield squad of Gerrard, Lucas Meireles, M'Vila, Aquilani and Shelvey for example looks very strong with plenty of options.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #27: Mar 04, 2011 09:31:21 pm
      This is kinda a difficult situation for us.

I think we probably need one who really, just, sits deep to stop opposition attacks. All he has to do is just break up play using his strength and tackling qualities to win the ball from the centre and either sides, gives the ball to a more qualified playmaker (something which we've been lacking since Alonso's departure) and occasionally get that odd goal.

Before Mascherano left, I felt his loss would be nothing compared to that of Alonso's but I have to admit I'm wrong. We're far more exposed easily now that we were last season.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #28: Mar 04, 2011 09:31:46 pm
       It depends on who we've got playing for us. One thing is certain though IMHO, if you want to challenge for the top honours we'll need much better midfielders to be first team regulars than Lucas. It doesn't matter how many chalkboards people produce, he isn't good enough.   
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #29: Mar 04, 2011 10:19:53 pm
      It depends on who we've got playing for us. One thing is certain though IMHO, if you want to challenge for the top honours we'll need much better midfielders to be first team regulars than Lucas. It doesn't matter how many chalkboards people produce, he isn't good enough.   
      Man United are top of the table with a very average performing Fletcher this season.

I think Lucas is definitely good enough to be a Liverpool player.

Maybe not first team every week, but he was superb away at Chelsea and has been one of our best performers in the last year.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #30: Mar 04, 2011 11:12:48 pm
      This is going to turn in to a Lucas thread again. I'm running :)

4-1-2-3 would be great. Think that might suit us almost perfectly going forward.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #31: Mar 04, 2011 11:30:10 pm
      Yes I think a top quality defensive midfielder is the way to go. If we ever get two world class centre backs we could perhaps manage without one but imo its easier to find and buy a top defensive midfielder than 2 world class centrebacks.

4-1-2-3 or 4-1-3-2 would both suit our top players (apart from maybe Johnson who I feel benefits more from 3 at the back.) We could even play 4-2-3-1 when the occasion demands it with Suarez playing behind Carroll.

I am not as familiar with most of the foreign players as most of you seem to be so I won't suggest anyone, just that we could do with someone better than Lucas.     
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #32: Mar 04, 2011 11:35:47 pm
      Posted this in the Lucas thread on this subject:

What I would like to see happening to our central midfield this summer is the following. Ofcourse this all depends on what kind of formation you prefer. But currently our central midfield is a bit of a mess, while it's the backbone of the team. We should always try to fill positions with one class player and a good backup player/upcoming talent. We have Poulsen, Spearing, Cole, Lucas, Gerrard, Meireles, Suso and Shelvey. I say, get rid of Poulsen, Spearing, and Cole. Get a class DM in, make him battle it out with Lucas. Get a class CM playmaker in, make Shelvey backup. Gerrard and Meireles for the AMC position. And Suso should be given time in CM and AMC next season in cup games etc. That should do the trick in my opinion.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #33: Mar 04, 2011 11:42:02 pm
      Posted this in the Lucas thread on this subject:

More or less how I see it Dexter. Also the CM playmaker you talk about could be Aquilani if we could get him back which would leave us money to strengthen other areas such as LB and the wide players.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #34: Mar 05, 2011 12:16:57 am
      I actually agree with Dexter.

I think what is basically needed is to replace the void left by Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano to bring back that three midfielders in the centre which worked so well for us back in 2007-2009.

I can't think of anyone who'd fit those two positions (other than Alonso and Masch themselves ;D), though.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #35: Mar 05, 2011 01:18:50 pm
      I would sign Nuri Sahin; a good Dm who is goodd technically and can go forward.
      -Stick with a 4-3-3 buy a LB and two AM/wingers (walcott/Turan)

I trust Kenny and I'm SURE he'll do what is the best
      YNWA
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #36: Mar 05, 2011 01:43:18 pm
      To be honest I'd go back back in for Masch, although some hate him, just remember he left under a cloud that cloud being Hicks & Gillett, Purslow, Broughton & Roy Rub My Chin Hodgson.

Think about it, Masch said the club did not do anything to keep the players, think Purslow putting Clauses in both Nando's and Pepe's contracts, what could he have told Masch ?

Bear in mind for a moment that the money from Masch's sale resulted in the club having a negative transfer budet again.(Epic Swindle)

Now if we were to get Masch on the cheap too, I'd also go after Banega two players who would compliment each other as Masch is Masch and Banega is as close as your going to get for Alonso in terms of a deep lying play maker, the plus side is they also play together for Argentina, so they will already have some form of understanding and probably wouldnt take as long to gel.

Aguero Messi anyone.  :f_whistle:
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #37: Mar 05, 2011 01:46:58 pm
      To be honest I'd go back back in for Masch, although some hate him, just remember he left under a cloud that cloud being Hicks & Gillett, Purslow, Broughton & Roy Rub My Chin Hodgson.

Think about it, Masch said the club did not do anything to keep the players, think Purslow putting Clauses in both Nando's and Pepe's contracts, what could he have told Masch ?

Bear in mind for a moment that the money from Masch's sale resulted in the club having a negative transfer budet again.(Epic Swindle)

Now if we were to get Masch on the cheap too, I'd also go after Banega two players who would compliment each other as Masch is Masch and Banega is as close as your going to get for Alonso in terms of a deep lying play maker, the plus side is they also play together for Argentina, so they will already have some form of understanding and probably wouldnt take as long to gel.

Aguero Messi anyone.  :f_whistle:

Still refused to pull on the jersey and play for the club. One of the most dis-respective things you can do the club.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #38: Mar 05, 2011 01:49:18 pm

Aguero Messi anyone.  :f_whistle:

To be fair to Mascherano, he was told he was allowed to leave after last season, didn't he?

The only trouble with him was that he refused to play against Man City - showing a distinch lack of respect to Roy Hodgson and the club.

I don't hate him but felt he was unprofessional to refuse playing but it looks really funny that he's always on the bench after trying so hard to leave England.

I agree with you, though. We should try Messi and Aguero as well and play this :laugh:

Suarez       Carroll         Messi

Aguero

In a 4-2-4 formation :lmao:
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #39: Mar 05, 2011 01:56:46 pm
      Still refused to pull on the jersey and play for the club. One of the most dis-respective things you can do the club.

Thats what I'm saying though, Mascherano was told he could leave that much we know is true, then the club played hardball almost scuppering the move he had been promised.

Purslow inserted clauses in Torres and Reina's contract stating they could not leave whilst the sale was in process, did he say the same to Masch leaving him no alternative but to force through the move ?

I for one would not rule out the possibility of real quality returning to the club if it helps us to progress, Masch knows the league inside out and the club inside out, has friendhsips with players who are here, so he wouldn't take a season or so to get used to the league that most foreign imports need.

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #40: Mar 05, 2011 02:02:37 pm
      Thats what I'm saying though, Mascherano was told he could leave that much we know is true, then the club played hardball almost scuppering the move he had been promised.

Purslow inserted clauses in Torres and Reina's contract stating they could not leave whilst the sale was in process, did he say the same to Masch leaving him no alternative but to force through the move ?

I for one would not rule out the possibility of real quality returning to the club if it helps us to progress, Masch knows the league inside out and the club inside out, has friendhsips with players who are here, so he wouldn't take a season or so to get used to the league that most foreign imports need.

You could say he was forced out, but he still did it in a such undignified way. A week before that City game, he played against Arsenal and was brilliant, as if there was nothing wrong with the lad. Then a week later he won't play, wants to leave immediately. Was it Purslow showing him the door or was it something else?

Why promise a player they could leave the club? Why not say, 12 months of top quality football, give your all and we'll grant you the move. Look at the dignified fashion Alonso left the club and even he handed in a transfer request. He wanted the move but he acted professional and stuck by his word, hell even Ronaldo did it.

If Masch had played that City game, gave his all then signed for Barca the morning after, I think alot of people would have a different opinion of him, me included. You just can't refuse to play and expect to play. Also his quotes about us there a few months back didn't help.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #41: Mar 05, 2011 02:11:47 pm

If Masch had played that City game, gave his all then signed for Barca the morning after, I think alot of people would have a different opinion of him, me included. You just can't refuse to play and expect to play. Also his quotes about us there a few months back didn't help.

The ability to forgive and forget is a great human trait, even more so if you get him back cheap and he's part of a title winning team.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #42: Mar 05, 2011 02:15:46 pm
      I feel he burnt his bridges when he moved and how he acted both during and after he signed for Barcelona. Also claiming Torres finally got a move to a 'big club' that he dreamed of was a kick in a pants.

I wouldn't want him back. Good player, but F**k him with that attitude.

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #43: Mar 05, 2011 02:23:51 pm
      The ability to forgive and forget is a great human trait, even more so if you get him back cheap and he's part of a title winning team.

True, it is a great human trait but as the great Bill Shankly once said “Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.”

Fowler was forced out when he left, but he remained dignified and was welcomed back with very open arms. (what a day that was :)) They way Masch talked about us after he left was like kicking us while we were down. There was 2 things he really did wrong when leaving and when he left. If it was only the one, well then it would have been easier to forgive and forget.

Get his missus to do a naked lap of Anfield and it may sweeten the return ;D
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #44: Mar 05, 2011 02:24:38 pm
      I feel he burnt his bridges when he moved and how he acted both during and after he signed for Barcelona. Also claiming Torres finally got a move to a 'big club' that he dreamed of was a kick in a pants.

I wouldn't want him back. Good player, but F**k him with that attitude.

I'm sure there will be many that will agree as there will be many that will disagree, but lets say for a moment it did become a reality and he helped us to win a league with some outstanding displays, would you forgive him ?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #45: Mar 05, 2011 02:36:30 pm
      I'm sure there will be many that will agree as there will be many that will disagree, but lets say for a moment it did become a reality and he helped us to win a league with some outstanding displays, would you forgive him ?

Obviously, but a pretty far fetched way of looking at it.

If we signed El Hadji Diouf for 20m and he scored his only goal of the season to win the last game of the season and win us the title, we'd still be opposed to the signing wouldn't we?

Quick Reply