Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Would You Stick With The Defensive Midfielder Way Of Play Next Season?

Read 6501 times
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Re: Would You Stick With The Defensive Midfielder Way Of Play Next Season?
      Reply #46: Mar 05, 2011 02:40:44 pm
      Mascherano, no thanks. We're acting like there aren't any other good DMs out there. He wanted to leave for a reason, what has changed?
      Let him rot on Barca's bench.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #47: Mar 05, 2011 02:42:58 pm
      I hate Diouf, and watching the old-firm the other night only confirmed that for me. I actually thought of him too when thinking of players to come back to the club and do something good for us.

Obviously is Masch did come back, I would support him. After all he is playing for Liverpool but it would very hard to sing his name, especially after some of the things I've said about him.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #48: Mar 05, 2011 02:46:09 pm

If we signed El Hadji Diouf for 20m and he scored his only goal of the season to win the last game of the season and win us the title, we'd still be opposed to the signing wouldn't we?

I'd always be opposed to Diuof, not because of the manner he left but because of the manner of his persona, he's a vile disgusting person and epitomises everything that is wrong with the modern footballer.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,352 posts | 1631 
      Reply #49: Mar 05, 2011 02:48:19 pm
      The ability to forgive and forget is a great human trait, even more so if you get him back cheap and he's part of a title winning team.
      Too true the ability to forgive and forget is a trait ,but so is the ability to harbour grudges , life is way to short to harbour grudges it dont get you anywhere , the cloud that hangs over Masch is the same cloud that blew away when the two fckwits were ousted and everything that happened in that period should be put to bed with it .We are in a new era lets look forward and smile ,none of us know what was really going on behind the scenes at that time except for rape and pillage but its gone and so are the things that went with it ,so perhaps we should give him another chance .

If and its a big if , he wanted to come back sure he could do a job for us ,while i dont particularly like a one dimensional player perhaps Kenny could get more out of him .
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,352 posts | 1631 
      Reply #50: Mar 05, 2011 02:50:20 pm
      Obviously, but a pretty far fetched way of looking at it.

If we signed El Hadji Diouf for 20m and he scored his only goal of the season to win the last game of the season and win us the title, we'd still be opposed to the signing wouldn't we?
      I wouldn,t even let that c**t come into anfield let alone re sign the fcker oh no no no. one horrible mother fcker.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #51: Mar 05, 2011 05:22:09 pm
      Masch back at Anfield? no f***in way, as much as i admired Masch when he was in his pomp, since Rafa went he no longer had the desire to give his all for LFC, he nailed his colours to the mast, so F**k him, whether his attitude was down to Roy's negs or Purslimes clauses are irrelevant, he was contracted to the club, ie; we payed his wages, he should have given 100% regardless, he didn't and got petulant and refused to play for the club, thats inforgivable in my book, he being a so called professional sportsman should know better and acted in a more civil and dignified manner, made his feelings known to the Manager, his peers, the owners and handed in a transfer request, or, see out the remainder of the season and then act accordingly, he left leaving a lot of mis feeling and that still lingers around like a old fart, thanks but no thanks, we want and need players you can trust to give 100% every game not just when they feel like it.
      MaxC
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 504 posts | 15 
      Reply #52: Mar 05, 2011 05:48:36 pm
      If he will help improve our position in the table i have no problem with him coming back. good players attract good players and Masch is a great player and at the right age. Although i don't see him returning because of the speculations linking busquets to Machester united.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #53: Mar 06, 2011 07:32:48 am
      Toulalan. 4-4-2

Toulanlan
      Gerrard.              Ashley young
                    Meireles
               Suarez. Carroll

Gerrard and young to primarily play on their designated wings but with license to interchange. Toulalan can tackle and pick a pass, the answer to our DM issue

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #54: Mar 06, 2011 11:07:37 am
      I think lucas is o.k. as a player, just not top drawer. When he played further up the pitch he looked more capable but as a defensive player, he just aint powerfull enough and get's pushed around to easily. If you have top quality technically gifted players in mid field, the opposition are more often on the back foot so the defensive qualities are not quite so important in the middle, although you then need quality defenders who just don't hoof the ball. Just a willingness to work and give 100 % all round makes a huge difference.
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,266 posts | 281 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #55: Mar 06, 2011 04:13:13 pm
      i honestly think the defensive midfielder player is a myth as it showed today and all you need is 2 good centre midfielders that are disaplined and can play together and if you keep the ball more and press forward breeds less negativitity
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #56: Mar 06, 2011 04:38:47 pm
      If i didn't explain myself clear before, today was the perfect example of how i'd play, especially at home.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #57: Mar 06, 2011 04:46:43 pm
      Gerrard dint get much of a mention but he was very very disciplined today and that is a huge credit to him.He could play like that for another 5 years or more.Letting Raul push forward to support the strikers is brilliant. kenny is such a clever manager isn't he.
      HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      • If I'm not back in 15 minutes.....wait longer
      Reply #58: Mar 06, 2011 04:50:50 pm
      We are playing fluid football with the midfield interchanging going forward and getting back as a unit. Cant be arsed with Rigid Roy formations. Just let them express themselves
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #59: Mar 06, 2011 04:53:18 pm
      i honestly think the defensive midfielder player is a myth as it showed today and all you need is 2 good centre midfielders that are disaplined and can play together and if you keep the ball more and press forward breeds less negativitity
      Obviously there isn't just one succesful way to play football, there isn't one ultimate formation. The key is to have a good balance, whether that be with 2 central box to box type midfielders or with 1 DM and 1 more creative playmaker type midfielder. And it's not just those 2 positions that matter either.
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,266 posts | 281 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #60: Mar 06, 2011 05:05:02 pm
      Yea true mate but that doesnt mean a change in formation means youve GOT to have a DM

When you got less of the ball 1 of your central midfielders drops deeper when the time calls for it
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,332 posts | 183 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #61: Mar 06, 2011 06:03:46 pm
      I honestly think the defensive midfielder player is a myth as it showed today and all you need is 2 good centre midfielders that are disaplined and can play together and if you keep the ball more and press forward breeds less negativitity

That's kind of a post-match opinion, really. I know we won 3-1 but you have to admit at times we just couldn't put pressure on them in the midfield and showed no way to get the ball back without needing one of the back four to get involved, which means we we're recovering the ball way too deep into our half.

It's not about negativity, it's about being realistic. I think that if Liverpool wants to keep going forward, we need to have tactical flexibility. TBH, MU harldy has a bulldozer-like midfield with Scholes and Carrick not really being phisycally impressive, but look at how we got bullied at Upton Park. We can do with this formation with more free-flowing attacking teams but sometimes you need to get messy and our midfield as it is doesn't seem up to it IMHO.
      craglad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,009 posts | 25 
      Reply #62: Mar 06, 2011 10:44:30 pm
      Maybe Didi will resign?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #63: Mar 06, 2011 10:52:19 pm
      Kenny's idea is fluidity.

However many central midfielders play, they all must be able to do some tackling, pass and only move up to join attacks. We won't sign a Masch style player under Kenny I don't think. It will be someone who can offer more, a proper central midfielder. Gerrard did his role much better today and we ended up winning (not saying it was solely down to him by the way). If Lucas pushed up then Gerrard held position and I remember Steven pushing up in the second half once and Raul had dropped to cover.

So next season, I doubt we will have a sole defensive midfielder. They all must be more complete. We need to improve on how it works away from home though.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #64: Mar 06, 2011 10:58:38 pm
      Gerrard did his role much better today and we ended up winning (not saying it was solely down to him by the way). If Lucas pushed up then Gerrard held position and I remember Steven pushing up in the second half once and Raul had dropped to cover.

I think this point is important one Chats as like you I thought Gerrard was excellent today and we have not always seen him or Raul for that matter do this often enough this season.

Agree that Kenny seems to prefer a fluid midfield but someone will have to do the defensive side of the game and many times this season it has tended to be Lucas as he has been the one to show the most responsibility even if it is not the strongest part of his game.

I feel that even in Kenny's fluid midfield we still need a defensively minded player but like you say one that can offer a whole lot more as well.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #65: Mar 06, 2011 11:09:50 pm
      gerrard played well today ,he managed well enough to get back and defend for johnson ,and had a couple of swipes at goal what more could we ask for except a top class anchorman
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #66: Mar 06, 2011 11:52:29 pm
      Correct me if im wrong but i think Lucas is great in the role of holding or defensive mid.

He is a ever improving defender and has the silky passing and temperament to play safe but smart balls out of our half.

I like him back there getting the balls nearly 100 % of the time to the better creative players rather then getting the ball in a advanced position and having to be forced to play the killer pass.

Quick Reply