Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Gael Clichy (Arsenal)

Read 43530 times
      *LFC 4EVA*
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 805 posts |
      • *LFC 4LIFE*
      Gael Clichy (Arsenal)
      Mar 05, 2011 11:37:50 am
      i would love him here i rate this lad and he has pace
      Clichy could force through LFC move
      5th Mar 2011 - Transfer Gossip  
      4 CommentsEmailPrintShare ArchiveLFC To Go
      Gael Clichy could attempt to force through a controversial move to Arsenal's bitter local rivals Spurs or Liverpool amid rumours that talks over a new contract have broken down.

The talented French full-back is rumoured to be a target for several clubs in Europe as well - including Spanish giants Real Madrid and Barcelona - after speculation over the failed negotiations leaked out.

Clichy's contract is due to expire in the summer of 2012.

But with England international Kieron Gibbs showing signs of developing into a long-term successor on the left-side of defence, manager Arsene Wenger may let Clichy go rather than lose him on a free transfer in 15 months' time.

The 25-year-old's agent is said to have walked away from the negotiating table after becoming frustrated at Arsenal's lack of movement over wages.

As a result, he could either try to force the club's hand by initiating preliminary talks with both Spurs and Liverpool - or even try to set up a permanent move in what would be a contentious development.

Although the majority of Arsenal fans would not have been overly concerned by Clichy's departure this time last season, he has shown signs of developing into a top-class marauding full-back in the current campaign.

And it would be particularly galling to lose one of their more experienced players to a rival - especially if it were their north London neighbours, who are in need of a replacement for the much-maligned Benoit Assou-Ekotto.

Liverpool, too, are said to be monitoring a number of options at left-back with right-sided player Glen Johnson currently playing as a makeshift player on the opposite flank.

If Clichy does leave Arsenal for another club in the capital, he would not be the first to do so in recent years.

William Gallas has become something of a hate figure at the Emirates Stadium since joining Spurs, with Samir Nasri refusing to shake his French international team-mate's hand at the north London derby last November.

Ashley Cole is also fervently disliked by Gooners after he snubbed a new deal at the club to cross the capital and join west London rivals Chelsea.

Source: Metro

This story has been reproduced from today's media. It does not necessarily represent the position of Liverpool Football Club.

Author: Metro

« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2011 02:37:45 pm by Reslivo »
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Re: Gael clichy (Arsenal)
      Reply #1: Mar 05, 2011 11:42:20 am
      Probably one of the better left backs in the Premier League.

And don't think Samir Nasri's refusal to shake William Gallas' hand had anything to do with the latter moving across London. I think it was some personal issue during a French training or something.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2: Mar 05, 2011 11:49:55 am
      Definitely wouldn't say no.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #3: Mar 05, 2011 11:55:57 am
      I think Possibly they might let him leave if they recieve a decent offer especiall with Gibbs coming through. Maybe they might include him in a bid for Reina
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,352 posts | 2818 
      Reply #4: Mar 05, 2011 11:58:54 am
      I don't rate him one bit.

Gibbs will be far better than this lad.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #5: Mar 05, 2011 11:59:14 am
      £20M plus Clichy if so.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #6: Mar 05, 2011 12:03:37 pm
      Not going to happen though Anny when there is a £20 million buy out clause in Reina contract
      njny_scouser
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 791 posts |
      Reply #7: Mar 05, 2011 12:29:15 pm
      Look, I'd love to have Clichy at Left Back. But I highly doubt it'd happen (at least in favorable circumstances for us). Wenger wouldn't be willing to sell him to another club in the Premier League, let alone another club from the "Big Four", and even if he were to sell him, you'd have to think it'd be at an inflated price well beyond what Clichy is truly worth.
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #8: Mar 05, 2011 12:31:55 pm
      The ever reliable Metro.

Awful excuse for a newspaper. I know its free, but they should be pay us to read it.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #9: Mar 05, 2011 12:32:11 pm
      Not going to happen though Anny when there is a £20 million buy out clause in Reina contract

Oh yeah, so can't see any deal involving Reina then really. Though he could still be used in a sweetner in any deal perhaps.

As it is, I don't think Clichy will leave Arsenal. I think he is stalling to see if there is a better offer on the table at Arse.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #10: Mar 05, 2011 12:33:37 pm
      The ever reliable Metro.

Awful excuse for a newspaper. I know its free, but they should be pay us to read it.

Awwww.... I dunno, I've always found it to be worth every penny.
      njny_scouser
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 791 posts |
      Reply #11: Mar 05, 2011 12:35:23 pm
      Awwww.... I dunno, I've always found it to be worth every penny.

That as a reputable news source or a comedy piece?
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #12: Mar 05, 2011 12:39:24 pm
      It's free, anyway doubt this will happen but think he's a good player.
      njny_scouser
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 791 posts |
      Reply #13: Mar 05, 2011 12:49:31 pm
      It's free, anyway doubt this will happen but think he's a good player.

Same. Even if he were to come here, I doubt we'd pay a reasonable price for him.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #14: Mar 05, 2011 12:55:18 pm
      I'd rather get Gibbs, not coz he's better than Clichy at the moment but a better prospect and would cost cheaper I think.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #15: Mar 05, 2011 02:21:41 pm

Both.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #16: Mar 05, 2011 02:31:43 pm
      Look, I'd love to have Clichy at Left Back. But I highly doubt it'd happen (at least in favorable circumstances for us). Wenger wouldn't be willing to sell him to another club in the Premier League, let alone another club from the "Big Four", and even if he were to sell him, you'd have to think it'd be at an inflated price well beyond what Clichy is truly worth.

Wenger has already said that he will sell players to ANY club :-  "If I feel that a player should go, or could go, why not sell him to one of the other top four?"

I think Clichy would be a great signing at the right price, but I agree Arsenal will probably want more than we wish to pay.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #17: Mar 05, 2011 02:32:21 pm
      we'll get linked to about 2 hundred players from now until the summer and we'll sign four or five if were lucky, I'll wait and see what happens but I'd take Clichy in a heart beat.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #18: Mar 05, 2011 02:38:06 pm
      I wonder if Arsenal will become a "laughing stock" of the league if they sell to a rival club :roll:

I would take the lad to be honest, depending on the price. Don't want to be held to ransom like.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Re: Gael Clichy (Arsenal)
      Reply #19: Mar 06, 2011 01:48:47 am
      Comical. Glichy isn't coming here.

Would take him though.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #20: Mar 06, 2011 02:30:27 am
      Would definitely take him.

Isent as good as many people think. Don't think he fulfilled his potential from a few years back but he is still in the top 5 or 6 in the league probably.

Doubt he would leave Arsenal and champions League football for Europa League though.

Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #21: Mar 06, 2011 02:41:46 am
      Probably way more expensive than he should be. He's a good player, but I'm not all too impressed with his positioning when it comes to the offside trap, he's a serious liability when it comes to that.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #22: Mar 06, 2011 02:42:25 am
      I'd pay £10million. No more.

Quick Reply