Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Gael Clichy (Arsenal)

Read 43489 times
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Re: Gael Clichy (Arsenal)
      Reply #23: Mar 06, 2011 02:45:32 am
      He's a good player but always injured. I think its going to be our most trickiest position to sort out during the summer, a b***ard of a position to sort out really.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2765 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #24: Mar 06, 2011 10:19:53 am
      He wont sign a new contract, were looking for a left back so 1 + 1 = 11. Would love to see him here as hes a fine left back but I dont see it happening
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #25: Mar 06, 2011 12:16:58 pm
      If he isn't signing a new contract we should definitely go in for him, he's quality left back proven in the Premiership. Yes please.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #26: Mar 06, 2011 12:20:45 pm
      Look, I'd love to have Clichy at Left Back. But I highly doubt it'd happen (at least in favorable circumstances for us). Wenger wouldn't be willing to sell him to another club in the Premier League, let alone another club from the "Big Four", and even if he were to sell him, you'd have to think it'd be at an inflated price well beyond what Clichy is truly worth.

He sold Ashley Cole to Chelsea.
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #27: Mar 06, 2011 03:50:08 pm
      i really hope this happens would be a great signing with our new form of ATTACKING football
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #28: Mar 06, 2011 03:53:44 pm
      Not a big fan but he's a good player. Can't see this happening though.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #29: Mar 06, 2011 04:04:11 pm
      Fantastic player. Would be immense if we got him.
      Carroll9
      • Banned

• 324 posts |
      Reply #30: Mar 06, 2011 04:51:38 pm
      Clichy is F***ing class cant actually believe i seen a comment somebody doesnt rate him. The lad is a boss player.

He is boss for arsenal though because he fits in to how they play football. We play football a totally different way and im not sure if he would be as good of a left back for us.

Id still love to see him at anfield though, would be over the moon with this.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #31: Mar 06, 2011 04:57:31 pm
      He can't defend, Arsenal's weakest link and he doesn't make up for it offensively. Just because he plays for a good team doesn't mean he's a good.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #32: Mar 07, 2011 02:38:02 am
      Gael "Onside" Clichy? Meh. I'd look elsewhere.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #33: Mar 07, 2011 02:42:16 am
      At least he would compliment David N'offside :D
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,480 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #34: Apr 26, 2011 09:56:42 am
      LFC plan ambitious ÂŁ9m Arsenal star bid
      Liverpool are reportedly planning an ambitious move to sign Arsenal left-back Gael Clichy.

Contract talks between the French international and the North London club have broken down and with one year left year on his Gunners deal Anfield director of football Damien Comolli is hoping to lure the 25-year-old to Merseyside.

The left-back area has been something of a problem this season with Paul Konchesky starting the season as first choice before being loaned out to Nottingham Forest after failing to impress. Emiliano Insua is also out on loan and injury to Fabio Aurelio has led to the emergence of teenager Jack Robinson as a player with a great deal of potential. However, Kenny Dalglish is still looking for a player to fill the hole.

After eight years at Arsenal Clichy is reportedly considering his future and given that Arsene Wenger has ready made replacements in England international Kieran Gibbs and Armand Traore the French boss may be willing to allow the former Cannes man to leave.

Liverpool may find it hard to convince Clichy to move to a club unlikely to offer Champions League football for next term but having seen the sharp upturn in fortunes under Dalglish and the fact that the club is under new ownership, seemingly eager to bring in big names, a move to Anfield may tempt the Toulouse born full-back.

Liverpool will be looking to strengthen their squad following the big-money signings of Luis Suarez and Andy Carroll in January and a fee for Clichy would be significantly decreased by the fact that in one year he could leave for nothing.

Source: Caughtoffside.com

This story has been reproduced from today's media. It does not necessarily represent the position of Liverpool Football Club.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/media-watch/lfc-plan-ambitious-9m-arsenal-star-bid
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #35: Apr 26, 2011 10:21:15 am
      Used to really want him here but now I'm not sure.

Would like Nasri, though!
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #36: Apr 26, 2011 10:37:14 am
      Weak link - plays in a good team but not top quality - doesnt offer much going forward - fits in with Arsenals play but not ours......FFS how critical are people getting on here.... :mad:

This is the type of player we SHOULD be looking to sign be it from Arsenal or anyone else. He is a decent defender with much needed pace and a very good technical player and would improve our left side 100%.

Were rebuilding people, were not Man City who can pump ÂŁ40m quid on a defender - this lad would be a great purchase if we can get him.
      LFC_Stuart_1988
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,089 posts | 45 
      Reply #37: Jun 09, 2011 09:25:03 pm
      Times reporting that we have made a bid for the fella. Hope not.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #38: Jun 09, 2011 09:29:08 pm
      He's ok. Has pace, but isn't the fastest thinker, seems to miss offside traps. Then again, Arsenal's defense is so sh*t they're pretty much all weak links.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #39: Jun 09, 2011 09:30:57 pm
      Think he's a bit better than people credit him for. Steve Clarke? Yeah, he's a genius, I'd trust him with anyone.

Especially a lad with the ability of Clichy.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2765 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #40: Jun 09, 2011 09:31:20 pm
      but they said it was a player not previouly linked?  :f_doh:
      Iano92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 958 posts |
      Reply #41: Jun 09, 2011 09:32:07 pm
      DC brought him to Arsenal.
      LFCreds4life
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      Reply #42: Jun 09, 2011 09:32:25 pm
      Yep good player I'm hearing they have put in a 5 million bid in for him
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #43: Jun 09, 2011 09:33:40 pm
      I'd be happy enough with Clichy to be honest, both him and Glen up and down the wing supporting the wide men would be good fodder for Carroll.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #44: Jun 09, 2011 09:36:28 pm
      I'd be happy enough with Clichy to be honest, both him and Glen up and down the wing supporting the wide men would be good fodder for Carroll.

I agree. We've talked about needing pace, well there you go. And Steve Clarke could turn Clichy into a reliable defender, I'd bet on that.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #45: Jun 09, 2011 09:36:51 pm
      I'm gonna break the bank and pay ÂŁ1

Liverpool have made their second statement of intent in a matter of days by launching an attempt to sign GaĂŤl Clichy from Arsenal.

Less than 48 hours after a deal valued at about ÂŁ20 million was agreed with Sunderland for Jordan Henderson, Liverpool made an offer in the region of ÂŁ5 million for Clichy, who has just entered the final year of his contract with the North London club.

With Clichy having shown no willingness to sign a new deal with Arsenal, Arsène Wenger, the manager, has become resigned to the probability that the left back will leave this summer. But the expectation was that he would move to a team on the Continent rather than rivals in the Barclays Premier League.

However, Liverpool’s determination to rejoin English football’s elite has led to them making an ambitious move for the 25-year-old and the early indications are that Clichy would be willing to make the switch to Anfield if the clubs can agree a fee.

From being a summer in which they were expected to show their own ambitions in the transfer market, Arsenal now run the risk of losing two key players to domestic rivals, with Samir Nasri, the attacking midfield player, continuing to interest Manchester United.

Wenger has vowed to keep Nasri out of Sir Alex Ferguson’s clutches, insisting that he will not countenance the departure of one of his star players to the champions. But the Arsenal manager is aware that Clichy’s exit seems inevitable and Liverpool have attempted to steal a march on their rivals for his signature by lodging a bid to which Arsenal will have to give due consideration, because the France defender would be eligible to leave on a free transfer next summer.

One attraction that Liverpool can boast is the presence of Damien Comolli, the director of football. Clichy’s potential was first spotted by Comolli when he was working as an Arsenal scout and it was on his recommendation that Wenger signed Clichy as an 18-year-old from Cannes.

He became the youngest player to win a Premier League medal as a member of Arsenal’s “Invincibles”, who went unbeaten throughout the 2003-04 season.

Clichy has since gone on to establish himself as Wenger’s first-choice left back after Ashley Cole’s transfer to Chelsea in August 2006, but he has recently become disaffected to such an extent that his readiness to leave has been an open secret for some time.

Given Liverpool’s failure to qualify for European competition, a move to Anfield from a club who are expecting to participate in the Champions League would represent something of a surprise.

But it would also be a coup for Liverpool and would support the assertion of Kenny Dalglish, the manager, that the club’s stature is such that they can still attract international players even if they are not in a position to promise them European football.

Henderson has already become the symbol of Liverpool’s desire to re-establish themselves, having all but completed his move from Sunderland. The capture of the 20-year-old midfield player is expected to be the first of many, with Clichy being joined on a lengthy wanted list by Charlie Adam, the Blackpool midfield player, Stewart Downing, the Aston Villa winger, and Connor Wickham, the Ipswich Town forward, among others.

Their transfer strategy is built around a concerted effort to recruit players who are predominantly under 26. Fenway Sports Group, Liverpool’s owner, has determined that it wants a youthful team to be constructed, one who can challenge for honours for several years and who are constantly bolstered by graduates from the club’s academy, the work of which has been praised by Pep Guardiola. In an interview with Catalan Radio, the Barc

Quick Reply