Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Gael Clichy (Arsenal)

Read 43491 times
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,143 posts | 257 
      Re: Gael Clichy (Arsenal)
      Reply #414: Jul 01, 2011 06:51:28 am
      As many have said before,myself included,if the like's of Clichy says he want's a move to us then get's his head turned by the shilling's of City,then let him go. Won't lose sleep over it. It's just greed that's a motivation for that type of player and that we don't need.
      I'm sorry mate but IMO it's difficult or maybe impossible to make our title winner team full of players who just play for us because they just love LFC, except anyone can make Gerrard and Carragher accept a 20,000 ponds/week contract this summer. If we want any top quality player we just have to pay them proper wage, or see them play for other team, it's a real world and of course I also hate to see football go this way.
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #415: Jul 01, 2011 06:55:02 am
      Don't City also have Wayne Bridge and Jerome Boateng?

Bridge will be gone this summer mate and Boateng has confirmed he is going to Bayern Munich this summer.

City are trying to create the Arsenal team from a few years ago! Pity that the Arsenal team they're buying from hasn't won a thing for 5/6 years.
      lerpwl_am_byth
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 566 posts |
      Reply #416: Jul 01, 2011 08:23:23 am
      Unfortunately it seems City have all but signed Clichy for £7million - four year deal. I hate to say it but that's a bargain... But then, with JWH's tweets, how do we know we were even interested? This is the most confusing and stressful window I've followed...
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #417: Jul 01, 2011 09:54:51 am

City set sights on signing of Gaël Clichy before turning thoughts to Samir Nasri

James Ducker, Tony Barrett

Manchester City are close to completing the £7 million signing of Gaël Clichy, the Arsenal left back, and could launch a second raid on their embattled rivals as they weigh up a move for the much-coveted Samir Nasri.

Although claims yesterday that City had made a £20 million bid for Nasri were quickly retracted and no talks have taken place at any significant level, the club have identified the France midfield player as a potential target and are considering a challenge to Manchester United for the player.

Nasri has entered the final year of his contract at the Emirates Stadium and it remains to be seen if Arsène Wenger opts to cash in on the 24-year-old should he fail to persuade him to sign a new deal or risk letting the player go for nothing next summer.

The idea of losing Nasri at a time when Clichy and Cesc Fàbregas, the captain, seem bound to leave must seem unthinkable to Wenger, but if a sale proves largely unavoidable, the prospect of offloading the player to City may be slightly more palatable to the Arsenal manager than watching him join United, to whom he has stated publicly he will not sell Nasri.

Barcelona are in advanced talks to sign Fàbregas, with Arsenal holding out for at least £40 million for the Spain midfield player, but Clichy is likely to be the first out of the exit door. Although Liverpool are understood to have matched City’s £7 million offer after having an initial bid of £5 million rejected, the France player has expressed a desire to move to Manchester, making him the seventh player already this summer to have escaped the Anfield club’s clutches.

Wenger claimed yesterday that he will be “more active at the end of July when we will really need to strengthen the team”, but even with a £10.5 million deal for Gervinho, the Lille forward, expected to be announced next week and moves afoot to sign Gary Cahill, the Bolton Wanderers defender, the pressure is mounting on the Arsenal manager. Without a trophy for the past six seasons, Arsenal’s position in the top four may come under serious threat next season if they lose Nasri, Fàbregas and Clichy and do not make serious headway in the transfer market.

City are also interested in signing Stefan Savic, the Montenegro defender, but are trying to drive down Partizan Belgrade’s £9 million asking price. Talks are also continuing with Fiorentina regarding Alessio Cerci, a winger.

Clichy’s decision is another blow for Liverpool, who are enduring a frustrating summer in the transfer market. The Arsenal defender joins Connor Wickham, Phil Jones, Ashley Young, Sylvain Marveaux, Brad Friedel and Alexander Doni on the list of players to have turned down a move to Anfield, dashing Kenny Dalglish’s hopes of making significant improvements to his squad before pre-season preparations begin on Monday.

John W. Henry, Liverpool’s principal owner, insists that the multiple setbacks have not been caused by a lack of desire on the club’s part but rather the feeling that the English market is inflated. It is a belief that is likely to lead to a change of direction in transfer strategy, with the focus shifting to Europe.

Henry reiterated his eagerness to ensure that Liverpool will live within their means. “We are determined to build,” he said. “As long as we stay within the parameters Uefa has set forth under its Financial Fair Play rules, we will have flexibility.”

Liverpool’s appeal has been diminished by their exile from the Champions League, with Clichy, Jones and Young rejecting a move to Anfield primarily for that reason.

Liverpool’s players return to training on Monday and among them will be Alberto Aquilani, Philipp Degen and Nabil El Zhar, whom they had hoped to have sold by this point. The failure to move out those players has exacerbated Liverpool’s lack of power in the transfer market, with the club’s owners keen to see a bloated wage bill reduced.

(The Times)

Clichy ramps up his wages at Manchester City after Wenger’s refusal to pay

By Ian Herbert, Northern Football Correspondent
      Friday, 1 July 2011

Arsenal's Gael Clichy will hugely increase his wages with a move to Manchester City but has also resolved to leave north London because he doubts Arsène Wenger's desire to keep him.

As The Independent revealed yesterday, City are close to concluding a four-year deal – possibly rising to £10m – for Clichy, gazumping Liverpool and enabling the Frenchman to increase his weekly wage from the current £58,000, excluding bonuses, to over £90,000 at Eastlands.

The transfer north, which is unlikely to be in the next two days because the Frenchman remains out of the country, moved closer yesterday with talks progressing well. City are happy with the price and package they are being asked to pay but their awareness of other clubs' interest in the left back is making them guarded about the deal.

Publicly, Wenger has said he wants to keep Clichy. But Arsenal are unwilling to be held to ransom by players who find themselves contemplating more lucrative offers elsewhere and Clichy's desire to see Arsenal match the £4m annual salary he was being offered by Liverpool, who initially bid £5m for him, has already received short shrift.

Wenger also has Kieron Gibbs waiting in the wings, reluctant to be Clichy's understudy for another year, and Clichy's awareness of this is driving his desire to accept City's offer. Clichy also feels he needs a change after eight years at Arsenal – a club where he is currently the longest serving player – but the salary is a huge attraction. Liverpool are now relying on the powers of persuasion of Liverpool's director of football Damien Comolli, who helped bring Clichy to Arsenal in 2003 when he scouted for Wenger, but Clichy's heart is set on City.

City are continuing to move players on. Bolton have renewed their interest in Shaun Wright-Phillips, for whom a loan bid fell through last winter because the club would not agree to a buy clause. The 29-year-old's desire to play regular first-team football may see him take a cut in his £60,000-a-week wages. The fee is around £4m. Wigan Athletic are also interested in Wright-Phillips. City are no nearer securing the £5m sale of Shay Given to Aston Villa.

City's move for 25-year-old Clichy, which calls into question the future of last summer's £16m buy Aleksandar Kolarov, is likely to deliver their first summer breakthrough. The pursuit of Fiorentina's Alessio Cerci is part of Roberto Mancini's desire to invest in players for the future, who also include Partizan Belgrade's Stefan Savic.

Reports in Italy suggesting an imminent deal for Cerci are inaccurate and seemingly part of a strategy to push the pace of a deal, but there are ongoing discussions on what could be a £7m transfer. Cerci's arrival would bring City another Italian with a colourful background. Though less controversial than Mario Balotelli, the 23-year-old striker has clashed with fans of Fiorentina, accusing them of scapegoating him last season because Roman-born players are not popular in Fiorentina.

Liverpool owner John W Henry has insisted that the club would not be rushed into spending over the odds on players and clearly believes the market for English-based players offer poor value. Henry's Fenway Sports Group are not impressed by the inflated prices which have been paid for English players this summer and believe that better value is to be located abroad, now that the pursuit of Ashley Young, Connor Wickham and Phil Jones have come to nothing. "We are determined to build," Henry said. "As long as we stay within the parameters Uefa has set forth under its Financial Fair Play rules, we will have flexibility."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/clichy-ramps-up-his-wages-at-manchester-city-after-wengerrsquos-refusal-to-pay-2305083.html
      ozgooner
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 697 posts |
      • P-38 W-26 D-12 L-0 'Victoria Concordia Crescit'
      Reply #418: Jul 01, 2011 10:09:10 am
      Look i love Clichy , got his name on the back of the last shirt i bought a few years ago . He was voted best left back in the Premiership a few years ago and served us well . But really he has had an ordinary last 2 seasons .
      Get the cash for him , buy Samba and Cahill , move Vermalaen to left back ....... oh hang on , we live in the fucken real world and Arsenal will buy F**k all ...... ggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrr
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #419: Jul 01, 2011 10:18:32 am
      Look I love Clichy , got his name on the back of the last shirt I bought a few years ago . He was voted best left back in the Premiership a few years ago and served us well . But really he has had an ordinary last 2 seasons .
      Get the cash for him , buy Samba and Cahill , move Vermalaen to left back ....... oh hang on , we live in the fucken real world and Arsenal will buy f**k all ...... ggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrr

What about us? Think we'll be better off with Enrique or throwing money at Cissokho?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #420: Jul 01, 2011 12:20:08 pm
      Tony Barret said on the 9th that we offered 5 million for him. Now on the 30th June City are close to signing him for 7 million. I doubt that we weren't willing to negotiate up to 7 million. Something tells me that we might have spoken to his agent and he wanted stupid wages, and maybe City came in and offered him what he wanted.

The most logical explanation.  Not to mention, sadly, the pull of CL football...
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #421: Jul 01, 2011 12:32:21 pm
      Tony Barret said on the 9th that we offered 5 million for him. Now on the 30th June City are close to signing him for 7 million. I doubt that we weren't willing to negotiate up to 7 million. Something tells me that we might have spoken to his agent and he wanted stupid wages, and maybe City came in and offered him what he wanted.

If you look at those reports from The Times and Independent above, you will see that we've offered £5 million transfer fee to Arsenal, and £80,000 per week wages to Clichy ... City have offered £7 million transfer fee to Arsenal, and £90,000 per week wages to Clichy ... Just like in the case of Wickham, we have been out-bid, but not at stupid prices ...
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #422: Jul 01, 2011 12:37:41 pm
      Clichy ramps up his wages at Manchester City after Wenger’s refusal to pay

By Ian Herbert, Northern Football Correspondent
      Friday, 1 July 2011
      As The Independent revealed yesterday, City are close to concluding a four-year deal – possibly rising to £10m – for Clichy, gazumping Liverpool and enabling the Frenchman to increase his weekly wage from the current £58,000, excluding bonuses, to over £90,000 at Eastlands.

I'm setting the Gazump-o-meter up. Already read this word used three times in reference to deals other clubs have made with our rumoured targets.

Sadly, with a lack of CL football to offer this season, the Gazump-o-meter will probably be quite busy until next year. :-\
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #423: Jul 01, 2011 12:41:28 pm
      If you look at those reports from The Times and Independent above, you will see that we've offered £5 million transfer fee to Arsenal, and £80,000 per week wages to Clichy ... City have offered £7 million transfer fee to Arsenal, and £90,000 per week wages to Clichy ... Just like in the case of Wickham, we have been out-bid, but not at stupid prices ...

Maybe they are wrong? Weren't they the same newspapers that said Downing and Adam would be signed by the end of the last weekend

Maybe we spoke to his agent and he wanted champions league football. Point is, you shouldn't take news articles like its nothing but the truth.
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #424: Jul 01, 2011 12:45:11 pm
      F***ing city throwing money around,Dont mind them taking utds targets but F**k off away from ours. :f_steam: :f_steam:
      robbieisgod23/9
      Reply #425: Jul 01, 2011 12:53:49 pm
      F**k city... If they have to do it this way then let them...
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #426: Jul 01, 2011 01:25:06 pm
      Probably stay there for a season or two, move abroad & play for average sides until the rest of his career.

Or

He could come here and help build on a side that will do BETTER than City next season, & the season after that, and after that.

If he's a fickle £££ grabber, then good luck to him. I'm sure Insua if he comes back in to the side will develop more of a player than he ever was. & We'd of saved £6 - £7 million and spent it in a more worthwile position.
      robbieisgod23/9
      Reply #427: Jul 01, 2011 01:41:54 pm
      I always respected city fans in the past but you hear more and more on radio phone INS turning into Chelsea fans now.. If they wants to do it like this let them.. I'm more comfortable the way we are doing things.. Ideally I want 3-4 more new signings this window but not ones that are happy following the money and only playing a 3rd of the season.. I don't want to stop our youth coming through by signing those type of players.. I feel Robinson could become a great left back, yes he doesn't need over playing right now but city certainly won't have a Robinson come through when they have a clichy, kolorov, bridge all picking upwards of 80 grand a week from them playing 20 games a season..
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #428: Jul 01, 2011 01:57:12 pm
      Maybe they are wrong? Weren't they the same newspapers that said Downing and Adam would be signed by the end of the last weekend

I don't remember Tony Barrett ever claiming anything like that, and he is usually the most reliable source amongst the journos ...
      The Last King of Scotland
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #429: Jul 01, 2011 02:02:42 pm
      I don't blame Clichy if he goes to City. CL footy, mega rich owners, he has the belief in his ability he won't be replaced.

As for City fans, they've forgotten who they were and are now little better than those United fans they hate.

New money eh.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,288 posts | 2806 
      Reply #430: Jul 01, 2011 07:19:27 pm
      Not fussed, don't rate him.

Rather have Enrique.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #431: Jul 01, 2011 07:47:17 pm
      I actually rate him, think he's a decent player, but I'm not too bothered if he goes to City, plenty more fish in the sea and all that.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #432: Jul 03, 2011 02:07:34 am

Clichy takes off as Emirates departure lounge fills

By Steve Skerry
      Sunday, 3 July 2011

Gaël Clichy looks certain to join Manchester City tomorrow, in a move that could see the left-back become the first of several star players to leave Arsenal this summer. The Ivory Coast striker Gervinho will, however, arrive on the same day, from Lille.

Clichy's representatives were busy completing the formalities of a £7 million deal over the weekend, with the Frenchman agreeing a four-year deal at City after refusing to sign a new contract at the Emirates Stadium. His move to one of Arsenal's biggest Premier League rivals represents a damaging development for the club and things could be about to get a lot worse, as several other players look to be on their way. Gervinho's £11m arrival is expected to be confirmed tomorrow. Gervinho was not a regular starter for Lille in Ligue 1 last season, but it was his performances in last year's World Cup that attracted Arsène Wengerto the 24-year-old, who can also operate on the wing.

City are also targeting the mid-fielder Samir Nasri, who like Clichy is in the final year of his contract. He rejected a new five-year deal, worth £90,000-a-week, towards the end of last season. The Arsenal manager will not want to see a player for whom he paid £15.8m three years ago leave for nothing in 2012, so it seems likely that he will sanction a deal. Manchester United have also been linked with Nasri and Chelsea, under their new manager, Andre Villas-Boas, joined the race to sign the 24-year-old France midfielder on Friday.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/clichy-takes-off-as-emirates-departure-lounge-fills-2305957.html
      lfcwils
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts |
      Reply #433: Jul 03, 2011 08:03:45 am
      This kid's days are over. Kenny please go for Juan Vargas
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #434: Jul 03, 2011 11:59:54 am
      Money-grabber. That's the only thing I can think of if a player would choose Citeh over Liverpool.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #435: Jul 03, 2011 12:13:44 pm
      Money-grabber. That's the only thing I can think of if a player would choose Citeh over Liverpool.

Well, if that makes you feel better, then OK ... In reality, he is getting only £10,000 per week more at City, but also the chance to continue playing in the Champions League ...
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #436: Jul 03, 2011 12:21:03 pm
      Well, if that makes you feel better, then OK ... In reality, he is getting only £10,000 per week more at City, but also the chance to continue playing in the Champions League ...

It's all about the ££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

They'll have just showed him what he'll be earning, probably in the same way they did with Gareth Barry!!

Quick Reply