Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

The Europa League 2010-11: Hands up who's excited?

Read 25922 times
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,860 posts | 165 
      Re: The Europa League 2010-11: Hands up who's excited?
      Reply #253: Mar 14, 2011 11:05:12 pm
      There not rewarded by just been finalists, its the fact the other team are also in the Champions league so give up there qualifying spot to the runners-up !

So Stoke could be relegated yet be in Europe because they made a final? Should be down to league finish.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #254: Mar 15, 2011 05:17:58 pm
      So Stoke could be relegated yet be in Europe because they made a final? Should be down to league finish.
      Technically you could be playing in League 1 and win the FA Cup and thus qualify for the Europa League.

I actually like that. In theory I'd love the Europa League to be just for cup winners, as a different competition, not just a 2nd rate Champions League like it is now, but as a Europa Cup, only knock out games. But unfortunately that can't be put into practice since everybody who qualifies for the Champions League won't play in it, so it would still be a 2nd rate competition.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #255: Mar 15, 2011 05:49:11 pm
      Technically you could be playing in League 1 and win the FA Cup and thus qualify for the Europa League.

I actually like that. In theory I'd love the Europa League to be just for cup winners, as a different competition, not just a 2nd rate Champions League like it is now, but as a Europa Cup, only knock out games. But unfortunately that can't be put into practice since everybody who qualifies for the Champions League won't play in it, so it would still be a 2nd rate competition.
      Not sure of your age dexter but there used to be  a third European Competition called the Cup Winners Cup solely for winners of cup competitions,  a pity they disbanded it it would stop all this confusion for a start !
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #256: Mar 15, 2011 07:29:52 pm
      Could a League 1 team realty get into the Europa League tho? I know this is only me being technical but won't they have to pass some test first to see if they are eligible like ground capacity and security?
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #257: Mar 15, 2011 08:02:48 pm
      Could a League 1 team realty get into the Europa League tho? I know this is only me being technical but won't they have to pass some test first to see if they are eligible like ground capacity and security?
      If their own ground didn't meet the nesessary criteria, they would be allowed to use another teams stadium, if they recieved permission in advance.

Anyway, the way i see it, if we aren't good enough to win the compitition this season, then we have only ourselves to blame for not being in it next year. ( Although i suppose Woy screwed us too!)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,950 posts | 8458 
      Reply #258: Mar 15, 2011 08:07:02 pm
      If their own ground didn't meet the nesessary criteria, they would be allowed to use another teams stadium, if they recieved permission in advance.

Anyway, the way i see it, if we aren't good enough to win the compitition this season, then we have only ourselves to blame for not being in it next year. ( Although i suppose Woy screwed us too!)

I don't see a problem especially when you see some of the smaller European club's grounds in this competition.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #259: Mar 15, 2011 08:48:50 pm
      I don't see a problem especially when you see some of the smaller European club's grounds in this competition.

Agreed
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #260: Mar 15, 2011 10:15:05 pm
      Not sure of your age dexter but there used to be  a third European Competition called the Cup Winners Cup solely for winners of cup competitions,  a pity they disbanded it it would stop all this confusion for a start !
      Yeah mate, I actually remember but had forgotten the details. In dutch we used to call it Europacup 1(Champions League) and Europacup 2(Cup Winner's Cup), and then the UEFA Cup(Europa League). The Cup Winner's Cup was more prestigious than the UEFA Cup. Would very happily switch today's Europa League for that Cup Winner's Cup.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #261: Mar 18, 2011 02:30:40 am
      Was anyone really excited?

I wasn't. Just felt like a competition we should never have been in against teams who it was hard to get excited or interested in about playing. Every away game felt like a slow death and every home game was just sh*te no mark teams coming and parking the bus, occasionally they'd bring some fans for entertainment. At least last season we actually got to play against proper football clubs.

Straight to the Champions League for the 2012/13 season.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #262: Mar 18, 2011 11:20:26 am
      Why shouldn't we have been in it ? we aren't the English League champions and neither we're we good enough to finish in the top 4, we we're the SEVENTH best team in the English premiership last season thats why we we're in it !
      If any club thinks a tournament is not worth entering (ala Scumchester and the F.A.Cup) then there team is not worth following in my opinion.
      I mentioned in another thread I'm excited For my team WHATEVER competition they play in, GET BEHIND YOUR TEAM OR F**k OFF ! 
      part time supporters comes to mind if you can only be interested in your team if its chasing the C.L. or P.L. !

Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #263: Mar 18, 2011 12:50:12 pm
      Il be honest here, it never really had my attention, or excitment for that matter.

I remmember being close to tears when we were knocked out of the CL. Last night, I pretty much said "Ah well".
      « Last Edit: Mar 18, 2011 12:58:56 pm by Dannylfc »

Quick Reply