Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Do players cheat the club and fans

Read 7146 times
      5fingersOFfowler
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 28 posts |
      Do players cheat the club and fans
      Mar 11, 2011 07:41:23 pm
      After another great result beating united, we then go and play very poorly against weak opposition. Just as we did after the Chelsea win. Now some of you will think it's too strong to call it cheating but what else can it be when it happens over and over again?

We have many average players in the squad but even they raise their game a few notches in the big games only to nose dive into mediocrity as soon as we play lower placed teams.

And that's why we cant win the league. Even under Rafa the year we finished 2nd we had terrible results to the lower sides yet beat all the top sides only to draw at the likes of Wigan and get beat at other average sides. And until the players mentality changes it will continue.
      « Last Edit: Mar 11, 2011 09:17:24 pm by redkenny, Reason: Added capital letters, full stops and tidied post up »
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Re: Do players cheat the club and fans .
      Reply #1: Mar 11, 2011 08:45:21 pm
      So the fact that we were missing Gerrard and Suarez had no bearing on the result on Thursday ?  Two key players.

Since Kenny took over, we have made excellent progression, so your statement is really another knee-jerk reaction.  You watch, next season we will be playing for CL and the Premiership title.

So in answer to your question, no, I don't think the players cheat the club and the fans.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #2: Mar 11, 2011 08:50:47 pm
      Depends what you mean by "cheat", bit of a random topic altogether.

If you mean disappoint, then yes, they do disappoint us sometimes.

If you mean underachieve, then that would be equally correct, at times.

But when you say "cheat", for me it implies that there is intent from the players not to succeed, and I don't believe that for a second.

There are simply too many different factors and changes from the 2008/09 season up to yesterday's game to make such a sweeping statement.

You should probably make your point a bit clearer or else this topic will end up getting locked.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,913 posts | 4980 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #3: Mar 11, 2011 09:07:24 pm
      After another great result beating united we then go and play very poorly against weak opposition just as we did after the chelsea win,now some of you will think its too strong to call it cheating but what else can it be when it happens over and over again ,we have many average players in the squad but even they raise there game a few notches in the big games only to nose dive into mediocrity as soon as we play lower placed teams and thats why we cant win the league ,even under rafa the year we finished 2nd we had terrible results to the lower sides yet beat all the top sides only to draw at the likes of wigan and get beat at other average sides and until the players mentality changes it will continue.
      What Bollocks you spout my friend, like Smigger said you are guilty of knee-jerking of the highest order, FF's fella thats just the way it goes sometimes, you cant expect to win every single game going, we had 3 of our top players missing on Thursday in Agger, Gerrard and Suarez, you could argue that is our spine and pivotal in any mans army, you have to have faith my friend, ive been watching Liverpool for 34 yrs and believe me ive seen games where i thought F**k me 'was that really a performance to be proud of', stick with it mate, its lfe, get used to it.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #4: Mar 11, 2011 09:27:59 pm
      Yeah.. Bit of a knee-jerk-chicken post really.. Understandable after such a dry-ass game but to be honest, there's way to many variables in football that I'd concentrate on before I'd consider this argument..
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Re: Do players cheat the club and fans
      Reply #5: Mar 11, 2011 09:32:36 pm
      I agree with Ayrton.

I don't think footballers actually step onto the pitch with the intention not to succeed.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #6: Mar 11, 2011 09:35:38 pm
      By cheat I think he means not putting the same effort and commitment in that they do in the "big" games. I think to an extent thats probably true. I doubt its deliberate though, I just think its harder for players (especially our foreign players)to get themselves "up" for some games.Play the mancs, Chelsea or a big CL game and its easy, play Wigan away when you have no chance of winning the league anyway and it becomes harder. 

When the fans can't get themselves up for some games, how do you expect the players to?

I don't believe every time we have a bad game its because the players arn't trying, but I think sometimes they perhaps coast a little looking for others (Gerrard) to provide the inspiration rather than giving everything they have themselves.

Obviously there are games like against Braga when its more about the quality of the players missing than about players not being up for the game, but I certainly think there are others where we see less than 100% effort from some players.

I
      5fingersOFfowler
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 28 posts |
      Reply #7: Mar 11, 2011 09:38:28 pm
      We miss gerrard cos lucas and poulson are very poor and we have no xabi or masch to fill in anymore as for agger he is as reliable as aurillio and needs to go ,the fact is the squad is very poor and thats why we struggle when the odd class player we have like stevie we struggle, no doubt our no 19 is just around the corner with the likes of maxi,lucas aurillio,poulson and skrtel fergie will be bricking it . :roll:
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #8: Mar 11, 2011 09:44:55 pm
      No don't think so, If we play that team away again I will put money on with anyone we will lose
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #9: Mar 11, 2011 10:20:26 pm
      When the fans can't get themselves up for some games, how do you expect the players to? 

Err.....£100,000 a week would get me up for the game any day, any week.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,913 posts | 4980 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #10: Mar 11, 2011 10:26:10 pm
      We miss gerrard cos lucas and poulson are very poor and we have no xabi or masch to fill in anymore as for agger he is as reliable as aurillio and needs to go ,the fact is the squad is very poor and thats why we struggle when the odd class player we have like stevie we struggle, no doubt our no 19 is just around the corner with the likes of maxi,lucas aurillio,poulson and skrtel fergie will be bricking it . :roll:
      hey fella, give it up will ya, i'm starting to think your a WUM, Agger needs to go, the squad is very poor, we miss Gerrard because Lucas and Poulsen are poor, your right about Poulsen but the rest is just sheer and utter sh*te, the 19th could arrive next season so will better players, i'm glad you dont have F**k all to do with LFC you would have Kenny sacked in April.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #11: Mar 11, 2011 10:49:19 pm
      Am i the only one who thought we did enough to deserve a draw on thursday? Braga are no push overs, and unless i'm mistaken they've played champions league football in recent seasons. The squad isn't as strong as i would like, but any team without so many first team players would struggle to get a result there.

Since Kenny took charge, the player's attitude's have greatly improved, so i don't think we are being cheated.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #12: Mar 11, 2011 11:08:06 pm
      Err.....£100,000 a week would get me up for the game any day, any week.

Just to wear the red jersey and play at anfield would get me up!

As for the question to thread i think they only cheat on the wag's! Facht!. ;D
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #13: Mar 11, 2011 11:08:13 pm
      I get more nervous about games we're expected to win as I fear the (supposed underdog) spirit from the opposition and complacency from our own players. On the flip-side, if we play against teams that might pose a very tough game to get all three points from, then we step it up.

Sadly, I don't think we have enough proven quality in the squad attacking wise, to be truly confident of going out there and beating anyone we come up against. Having that consistency. Until we do, there'll be a good bit of inconsistency in games I think.

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #14: Mar 11, 2011 11:09:42 pm
      I get more nervous about games we're expected to win as I fear the (supposed underdog) spirit from the opposition and complacency from our own players. On the flip-side, if we play against teams that might pose a very tough game to get all three points from, then we step it up.

Sadly, I don't think we have enough proven quality in the squad attacking wise, to be truly confident of going out there and beating anyone we come up against. Having that consistency. Until we do, there'll be a good bit of inconsistency in games I think.

I know exactly what you are saying...I feel much better when we play one of the big boys and are in the underdog role then being the supposed favorites.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2766 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #15: Mar 11, 2011 11:27:31 pm
      I think I know what the fella is trying to get at

We beat the defending league champions 3 1 on Sunday and its a comfortable win. That is a follow on from a disgraceful performance at west ham and is followed by a performance, especially in the first hour, which was on a par with the west ham one. How does this happen?

The original poster equates it to players cheating the fans. And if you search your heart deep down you have to say yes they are. How can a Liverpool team destroy there biggest rivals with ease in between being pi*s poor against 2 far lower opponents? Dont use Suarez as an excuse because he was there against west ham. Dont use Gerrard as an excuse because hes nowhere near his best and we cant depend on him to pull us out all the time.

The sad truth is we have been handed 2 inept performances which thankfully had a super win sandwiched in between. Why? Players tired after utd? Ok probably worked there socks off that day but anyone that plays any sport will tell you a win like that is a morale booster for the next game no matter how soon so fook that excuse. And what was the excuse for the west ham performance?

Like it or not or how its worded this topic isn't a million miles from the truth. Yes the king has brought back a spark, how could he not. But he does not step on to the pitch with these boys. He can only do so much.  There is, in my head at least, a doubt that this squad have it in them to raise there game to a level as last Sunday week in week out against lesser sides. And that is a big problem
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #16: Mar 11, 2011 11:34:55 pm
      The simple answer is our squad is too weak to sustain a high level week in week out. Kelly, Suarez, Gerrard - not available. Carroll only got the second half. How big a difference would those four make fully fit and availale everytime. We need heavy investment. It is our previous owners that cheated the club and fans. Not investing and selling off top players. Here is the damage left behind. A threadbare squad full of grafters and cheap transfers. It's not their fault they're not good enough. The players themselves aren't deceiving us. It's just some of them aren't and never will be good enough. Roll on the summer, when maybe we'll be able to put knee jerk threads like this to rest
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #17: Mar 11, 2011 11:36:50 pm
      No.

They try their best.

Same as the coaching staff and the manager.

Do you question KK when he gets his tactics wrong?
      Is he also cheating us?

It's a bullshit thread as far as I'm concerned.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2766 
      Reply #18: Mar 11, 2011 11:40:42 pm
      The simple answer is our squad is too weak to sustain a high level week in week out. Kelly, Suarez, Gerrard - not available. Carroll only got the second half. How big a difference would those four make fully fit and availale everytime. We need heavy investment. It is our previous owners that cheated the club and fans. Not investing and selling off top players. Here is the damage left behind. A threadbare squad full of grafters and cheap transfers. It's not their fault they're not good enough. The players themselves aren't deceiving us. It's just some of them aren't and never will be good enough. Roll on the summer, when maybe we'll be able to put knee jerk threads like this to rest

Far weaker squads then ours with far less capable managers give better then what we got for an hour last night mate. I sometimes feel we too easily hide behind excuses. Fact is we had 10 full internationals on the pitch last night and we were handed a pile of sh*te far below what this club expects. Why? How can ye follow up Sunday with that? I can take a loss but I cant take what I got for the first 60 last night because I got nothing
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #19: Mar 11, 2011 11:43:39 pm
      I think to many of our players have to much ego. They play against a team who they should beat and they don't try. Our squad is thin most defiantly but I think it's the players egos more then anything. Even Kenny admitted to that in one of his interviews.

To many players expecting to win without trying!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2766 
      Reply #20: Mar 11, 2011 11:44:57 pm

Was last night there best? Are you telling me thats all they had. Are you telling me if thats a second leg tie or a bigger opponent or bigger competition that thats the performance we'd get? No your damn right its not so dont say thats them boys trying there best
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #21: Mar 11, 2011 11:51:45 pm
      Was last night there best? Are you telling me thats all they had. Are you telling me if thats a second leg tie or a bigger opponent or bigger competition that thats the performance we'd get? No your damn right its not so dont say thats them boys trying there best

There's a difference between TRYING their best and BEING at their best mate.

Perhaps the utd game really took it out of them, or GOD FORBID, the managers tactics might be wrong.

Either way, I fnd it hard to believe that they are not trying...
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #22: Mar 12, 2011 12:24:31 am
      Now some of you will think it's too strong to call it cheating but what else can it be when it happens over and over again?

We have many average players in the squad but even they raise their game a few notches in the big games only to nose dive into mediocrity as soon as we play lower placed teams.

Do you try with the same 100% strong effort every single day at your job?

Effort aside, is your performance better at your job some days more than others?

By your logic, you are cheating your company one or two days each week.

Quick Reply