Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Last orders!

Read 8682 times
      Xabi1309
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 340 posts |
      Last orders!
      Aug 12, 2007 03:27:11 pm
      With the transfer window nearing closure who would you like to see Rafa sign?

With the exception of Heinze is are there any other players you would like to see join us?

Do you think we need to strengthen further?

Lets have one final transfer debate before we can relax and concentrate on bringing the 19th title home!
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Re: Last orders!
      Reply #1: Aug 12, 2007 06:10:15 pm
      Simple....Quaresma.
      LFC 4 LYF
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 52 posts | -1 
      Reply #2: Aug 12, 2007 06:12:39 pm
      I agree mate, sign Quaresma!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #3: Aug 12, 2007 06:25:42 pm
      I'm still smarting we lost on Malouda to be honest.

I think he would have been a great acquisition. Scored two already. I know it was down to him prefering Chelsea and not that we 'lost out' per se but think he would have been a good un.

Who else?

Another centre back as cover - for when JC misses a few games after handling balls in the box (oo er).  I wouldn't say no to Berbatov either.
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #4: Aug 12, 2007 07:09:37 pm
      Id really like to see Daniel Alves sign for us but recent reports show skumsea to be leading the race to his signature but we'll have to wait and see what Rafa has up is sleeve

I wouldn't say no to Berbatov either.

Yea and I'll back you on that one he looks sh*t hot right now what a season he'll have if he gets picked enough
      « Last Edit: Aug 12, 2007 07:12:35 pm by AJ »
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #5: Aug 12, 2007 10:43:06 pm
      Giorgio Chiellini - He looks big and tough and he can also play good football for a young player. He plays LB
      Ricardo Quaresma - Simple, he can beat two players without much trouble.. we've lacked this kind of player for years now
      camara14
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 157 posts | -3 
      Reply #6: Aug 13, 2007 04:34:54 pm
      vincent kompany
      Xabi1309
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 340 posts |
      Reply #7: Aug 13, 2007 07:24:19 pm
      Who on earth is Vincent Kompany??

Surely a windup.

You will be saying next that there would have been a UTube vid but he was too busy.......(had company)!
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #8: Aug 14, 2007 12:39:39 am
      Hello there.

I'll have a nice cold pint of Heinze.  Thankyou very much :D

Surely a windup.

You will be saying next that there would have been a UTube vid but he was too busy.......(had company)!

It's not a wind up.  I always sign this guy on FM!  He's a phenominal CB (on the game!)
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,729 posts | 6714 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #9: Aug 14, 2007 10:42:19 am
      JD, spot on mate...Malouda....he's scored two good goals already, big, strong and quick...I know they play different positions but when Babel missed that goal...I was thinking if that was Malouda it would have been in the back of the net.....to have each of them on the wings would have been absolutely fantastic.

I'll probably get slated for this but as for Berbatov, I just think he's pure class, got silky skills and knows how to put it in the back of the net.  Don't get me wrong I love Dirk Kuyt and his work ethic but when we got Dirk for 9.5 million, Berbatov went for 10 million around the same time to the Spurs. In hindsight, I think for an extra 500K, I would have preferred Berbatov, just because he can create a goal out of nowhere. The deal is done and Dirk is a Red, I'll never knock him and love him as RED...just sometimes I think   What IF?
      « Last Edit: Aug 14, 2007 10:45:26 am by AussieRed »
      Stu503
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 111 posts |
      Reply #10: Aug 14, 2007 10:56:32 am

Surely a windup.

Belgian international central defender.  Started off at Anderlecht, think hes been at Hamburg for the last 3 seasons.  He's about 24-25 years old and has played a fair number of champions league games i think.  Anyone add to that?

I can only see us signing a defender now as i think the manager has all the options he wants in midfield.  Suppose Hienze fits the bill because he can cover two positions and he is very experienced.  Hopefully Aurelio will come back and find form but i don't think anyone has much faith in Paletta
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #11: Aug 14, 2007 11:23:32 am
      JD, spot on mate...Malouda....he's scored two good goals already, big, strong and quick...I know they play different positions but when Babel missed that goal...I was thinking if that was Malouda it would have been in the back of the net.....to have each of them on the wings would have been absolutely fantastic.

I'll probably get slated for this but as for Berbatov, I just think he's pure class, got silky skills and knows how to put it in the back of the net.  Don't get me wrong I love Dirk Kuyt and his work ethic but when we got Dirk for 9.5 million, Berbatov went for 10 million around the same time to the Spurs. In hindsight, I think for an extra 500K, I would have preferred Berbatov, just because he can create a goal out of nowhere. The deal is done and Dirk is a Red, I'll never knock him and love him as RED...just sometimes I think   What IF?

Well, rumour had it that in that summer, Benitez had a 3 man wishlist for striker.
      1. berbatov, 2. obi martins (newcastle), 3. kuyt.

Imagine Berbs or Obi here instead of Kuyt...a real goalscorer....while kuyt seems to have lost his goalscoring touch from feyenoord.
      Wellzy
      • Forum John Barnes

• 422 posts |
      • Sports Journalist
      Reply #12: Aug 14, 2007 11:44:48 am
      I wouldnt trade Dirk for Oba Martins never. Nor would I trade him for Berbatov, he works hard, loves the club. Worthy red i say.

Id love to see Quaresma here.
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #13: Aug 14, 2007 11:58:42 am
      okay honestly, I like Kuyt, and he is a Red....but if we had the opportunity to trade him straight up for either striker, I'd take it in a heartbeat.
      Martins is 22, and already a better goal-poacher than Kuyt.
      And if you hadn't realised, LFC desperately need someone who can capitalise on chances; we had a terrible goals:shots ratio last year, and Crouch and Torres are both ideally holding strikers.
      Then, Berbatov is probably the best striker in England at the moment...Need I say more?
      Wellzy
      • Forum John Barnes

• 422 posts |
      • Sports Journalist
      Reply #14: Aug 14, 2007 12:01:00 pm
      Martins scored 11 last season, Kuyt scored 12, and Kuyt doesnt right up top. I know who i'd rather have.
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #15: Aug 14, 2007 12:02:33 pm
      Martins- 17/44 in all competitions, Kuyt 14/48....
      And Martins is 22....and started this season with 2 goals.....
      Xabi1309
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 340 posts |
      Reply #16: Aug 15, 2007 10:34:14 am
      Belgian international central defender.  Started off at Anderlecht, think hes been at Hamburg for the last 3 seasons.  He's about 24-25 years old and has played a fair number of champions league games I think.  Anyone add to that?

I can only see us signing a defender now as I think the manager has all the options he wants in midfield.  Suppose Hienze fits the bill because he can cover two positions and he is very experienced.  Hopefully Aurelio will come back and find form but I don't think anyone has much faith in Paletta

Thanks!
      moz273
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 38 posts | -1 
      Reply #17: Aug 15, 2007 05:13:24 pm
      Unless the Heinze deal goes through, I think we're done for the summer. Benitez says he isn't looking at any other left backs and I think after what we've already spent, Quaresma would be too expensive - no matter how much I'd like us to get him.

Someone mentioned Chiellini before and I'd prefer him over Heinze. He is younger, quicker, and plays in both positions Heinze can.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #18: Aug 17, 2007 10:28:44 am
      Hawar Mohammed. Gun left midfielder
      Boot
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #19: Aug 17, 2007 11:19:41 am
      I remember being told by hicks & Gillet that we will all be very excited by some of the siginings we are going to make.  Maybe its me, but I was expecting to go for some truly world class players in the mould of Messi, Kaka, ronaldinho (By the way i'm not saying one of those players)

Don't get me wrong I think Torres and Babel are good, but one of the best players in the world.  I'm not to sure. 

Do you think anyone apart from Gerrard will win European player of the year?  I can't see it.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #20: Aug 18, 2007 03:21:59 am
      Parry said they havnt stopped looking either so maybe a late big transfer could happen. I doubt it though.
      We still need a back and a classy specialty winger not a CM who can play out wide.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #21: Aug 24, 2007 08:22:11 pm
      Seven days left! We better buck our idea's up before its too late!

I only expect a defender in who can play central defense or maybe on the left aswell. I can't see us buying another winger, not until next summer when Kewell leaves.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #22: Aug 25, 2007 02:07:29 am
      Another Budweiser please
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #23: Aug 25, 2007 02:36:57 am
      Seven days left! We better buck our idea's up before its too late!

I only expect a defender in who can play central defense or maybe on the left aswell. I can't see us buying another winger, not until next summer when Kewell leaves.

Same here. If there is going to be any last orders, then it should really be of the central defense kind. Although someone who can play left back as well as centre back would be a bonus. Other than that I think we're pretty much done until the January transfer window.

You've had one too many.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #24: Aug 25, 2007 05:50:17 pm
      Same here. If there is going to be any last orders, then it should really be of the central defense kind. Although someone who can play left back as well as centre back would be a bonus. Other than that I think we're pretty much done until the January transfer window.

You've had one too many.

One too many Stella's eh Kenny! :D

You must of predicted what we needed for cover last night - and got it right.

I think it's time to bring in Micah Richards Rafa!!!!!
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #25: Aug 25, 2007 05:53:53 pm
      Micah Richards? Come on, he's a class defender but it'll attract a bidding war which will overshadow Rio's £29m price tag I'm very sure of that!

We should look to get a quality centre back in though, still think Agger needs to mature first, he struggles a lot.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #26: Aug 25, 2007 05:57:50 pm
      Micah Richards? Come on, he's a class defender but it'll attract a bidding war which will overshadow Rio's £29m price tag I'm very sure of that!

We should look to get a quality centre back in though, still think Agger needs to mature first, he struggles a lot.

I'd give it a go like.  Make an enquiry first.  We would never know until we tried eh!

While Carragher is out, we need the class to replace him.  Agger is improving every season, to me at the moment he has a permanent place in the starting 11.

Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #27: Aug 25, 2007 06:00:47 pm
      Agger is improving every season, to me at the moment he has a permanent place in the starting 11.

Only because we've got an ageing Hyypia as the other centre back. If we had say Gab Milito do you think Agger would get many games then? I don't.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #28: Aug 25, 2007 06:17:32 pm
      Only because we've got an ageing Hyypia as the other centre back. If we had say Gab Milito do you think Agger would get many games then? I don't.

Milito from Zaragota?  TBH I haven't seen anything of him.  So I can't make any opinion on him, but on the other hand I think Micah Richards is an excellent talent.  Bear in mind he is only 19.  I can see what you're saying with the price being over hyped.  But an enquiry would clear everything up.  It might put teams off, might want to make them buy him.

I wouldn't mind giving it a try!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8544 
      Reply #29: Aug 25, 2007 06:25:14 pm
      I thought Milito had signed for barcelona, plus I think Ra Ra Rafa has got a point about Richards attracting a bidding war - then there is also the fact of sven not actually wanting to sell him.

I still think Arbeloa will be able to fill in alongside Agger, I don't think Sami will be out for long but we'll have to wait and see about carra
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #30: Aug 25, 2007 06:40:24 pm
      Which Milito are we talking about.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #31: Aug 25, 2007 06:59:11 pm
      Which Milito are we talking about.

I already said! Gab Milito... (Gabriel Milito!) :)
      TINHEAD14
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 117 posts |
      Reply #32: Aug 27, 2007 03:11:05 pm
      I think it'll be interesting to see which, if any, players the 'big 4' draft in over the next 4 days.  I think we need a centre back, proven if carra & sami get injured were a short of cover, i'd like to see Richards purchased, but probably be from south america or spain
      LFC 4 LYF
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 52 posts | -1 
      Reply #33: Aug 27, 2007 03:53:17 pm
      sign micah richards! we need a new defender urgently, so i think richards would be an ideal purchase he's been playing exceptionally well recently for man city and england so long term he would be great! ;)
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,150 posts | 2780 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #34: Aug 27, 2007 07:52:08 pm
      whats in the local papers over there today fellas? any rumours on a defender coming in?

I think talking about micah richards is a bit unrealistic to be honest but he does look quality
      shikhark
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts |
      Reply #35: Aug 28, 2007 01:05:03 pm
      whats in the local papers over there today fellas? any rumours on a defender coming in?

I think talking about micah richards is a bit unrealistic to be honest but he does look quality

Various rumours about Baptista...seems we are about to offer 13.5m pounds for him.I really cant understand why we are going for another attacking midfielder instead of a central defender.Actually i think this is all a ploy by Madrid to generate interest in him so that other clubs (Milan ?)
      bid for him.

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_2690674,00.html
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #36: Aug 28, 2007 01:07:05 pm
      Yea sign Richards Rafa you know it makes sense ;)
      Xabi1309
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 340 posts |
      Reply #37: Aug 28, 2007 01:53:27 pm
      I totally agree with AJ.

It would mark the end of an amazing period of transfer activity if we signed Micah Richards.

He is a fantastic defender,versatile and full of energy.

Yes he would cost  a lot but with his signature he would fit in well for cover with Carra out and a long term prospect for the future.

Rafa....you know what to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      moz273
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 38 posts | -1 
      Reply #38: Aug 28, 2007 04:44:43 pm
      There is no way Richards will go for less than 25 million. City have money now and don't have to sell anymore (like they did with SWP), so it will take a massive bid not only to get him but to also outbid others teams.

Gabriel Milito has gone to Barca and for about 14 or 15 million I think it was for, which I don't think he was worth. He also wouldn't have played ahead of Carragher or Agger, and if you're paying that much for a centre back to sit on the bench it is too much.

I think Chiellini or Curtis Davis would be good signings, though if the prices being put around for Davis are correct (10 million plus) I don't think he is worth it. Both are good young defenders though.

And I can't see us going for Baptista. Apart the Carling Cup game when he showed up Palletta he was rubbish at Arsenal.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #39: Aug 28, 2007 05:15:47 pm
      I can only see a defender coming in now! Chiellini looks the only real possibilty, although Richards would be the best option!

I hope the Baptista rumours aren't true!
      samcharles
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 181 posts | -9 
      Reply #40: Aug 29, 2007 06:20:28 pm
      not many center backs are going to be on the move the best ones are at clubs tied to long term contracts madrid brought a very good defender at the right age and technical ability in metzelder the German international.

Richards would be my first choice because he is young but got prem experience and is also English which helps the communication in the back line.

hyypia is staying which is great any club that wants to win a trophy has to have x2 player for each position and keeping him and letting that piece of crap Pauletta go was great for the club.

carragher agger hyypia and a new center half and we are nearly there.. but who could or would it be..

Heinze would have been good but id rather a bit younger man to come in, Richards is to expensive, but i would pay the 20 mill for him.

if we need cheaper option and a guy who has international experience and a defender who can does what it says on the tin then i have a name that might surprise a few.

he recently hasn't signed his deal at a prem club and has bags of international experience and know -how he is tall fairly quick  he doesn't get injured much and his temperament is great along with his heading ability he would be good for a couple of years,,,

Melberg at villa ? what do you guys think..............
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #41: Aug 29, 2007 06:22:42 pm
      Not a bad shout at all actually sam, would only cost a couple of mill & would make good enough backup.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #42: Aug 30, 2007 12:18:12 pm
      Melberg at villa ? what do you guys think..............

Seconded there! That's a good option Sam! Prem experience, not a bad player and reasonably inexpensive! Whether he'd come or not is another story but if Liverpool came knocking, I don't see many players turning their noses up! ;)
      moz273
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 38 posts | -1 
      Reply #43: Aug 30, 2007 03:04:28 pm
      I read a rumour today in the Telegraph's sport section that linked up with a late bid for Curtis Davies at West Brom
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #44: Aug 30, 2007 03:06:41 pm
      Looks like there isn't going to be any more signings.
      From liverpoolfc.tv

RAFA NOT EXPECTING NEW ARRIVALS

Rafael Benitez today revealed it's unlikely there'll be any new arrivals at Anfield before tomorrow night's transfer deadline. 
      The Liverpool manager admitted he has scoured the market to assess what might be available, but has decided he's happy with the squad at his disposal.

Reserve striker Besian Idrizaj has today completed a season long loan deal with Crystal Palace, but Benitez insists there'll be no major activity to report before the window closes.

"We were checking some options for the first team squad yesterday, but it's very difficult to find the right players this late. I don't think we will be signing anyone now," he said.

"Rick, Foster, Eduardo (Macia) and I looked at some options, but we decided we don't want to sign a player just for the sake of it. It has to be the right player and not for crazy money."

Despite continued speculation linking Peter Crouch with a last minute exit from Anfield, Benitez has once again reiterated he has no interest in selling his striker.

"There has been no bid for Crouch, certainly not before this morning anyway," said Benitez. "I have the same idea now as I've said before. I don't want to let anyone go. I've spoken to the player and he knows we need him." 

I hope this doesn't turn out to be true as I would like Rafa to sign M.Richards.

moz273
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 38 posts | -1 
      Reply #45: Aug 30, 2007 04:54:40 pm
      No matter how much everyone would like him, we're not going to sign Micah Richards during this transfer window or for the foreseeable future I think.

I wouldn't be surprised if he stays at City for the next few years.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #46: Aug 30, 2007 04:57:04 pm
      No matter how much everyone would like him, we're not going to sign Micah Richards during this transfer window or for the foreseeable future I think.

I wouldn't be surprised if he stays at City for the next few years.

I'd agree with that, it's a new era at the club, and most players would be willing to give that a chance. He may move a year or two down the line if it's still not working out, but I can't see it happening this year.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #47: Aug 31, 2007 12:15:56 am
      During Rick Parry's interview earlier after the CL draw, he said that transfer activity is over for this summer when asked about any further action in the market!

Bit gutted like but I feel our squad's improved so much more so I don't mind ;)
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,729 posts | 6714 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #48: Aug 31, 2007 12:25:24 am
      saw this in the newsnowliverpool site today...nearly fell of my chair.....surely not

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_2695659,00.html

Liverpool's desperation for a central defender has reportedly seen then turn to the comic figure of Jean-Alain Boumsong.

Italian newspaper Tuttosport claims that Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has made contact with Juventus about the former Newcastle 'defender'.

Liverpool are currently without the services of Jamie Carragher and have no cover beyond Daniel Agger and Sami Hyypia.

Boumsong is currently on the books of Juventus but has been made available for transfer after their promotion to Serie A.

WTF?
      « Last Edit: Aug 31, 2007 12:43:09 am by AussieRed »
      Xabi1309
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 340 posts |
      Reply #49: Aug 31, 2007 10:01:51 am
      Boumsong??????????

This must be a made up story by his agent to help an improved contract offer or a move out of the club.

I cannot see Rafa taking such a gamble on an ex barcode.

I say we call back Roque from his loan spell,he might be young and inexperienced but I am convinced he would shine if given his chance.
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #50: Aug 31, 2007 10:16:18 am
      Surley Jackie Hobbs would be better than Miki?

Boumsong is a complete joke I would hate it if we signed him, i reckon Bramble is better than him and thats saying something!!

« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2007 10:19:34 am by priesty10 »
      Vatnhamar
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts | -10 
      Reply #51: Aug 31, 2007 11:11:34 am
      I'm better that Boumsong.....my mom is betterthan him. This must not happend. We have to use our young players instead.
      moz273
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 38 posts | -1 
      Reply #52: Aug 31, 2007 12:06:51 pm
      Regarding the Boumsong story.......for the love of God no!!!

So glad that Rangers were prepared to give him loads more money than we were when he was available on a Bosman a few years back.

I suppose he could always try and blame Titus 'Defensive Shambles' Bramble for how bad he was at the 'Toon..........
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 2810 
      Reply #53: Aug 31, 2007 01:33:50 pm
      rafa says no more signings
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #54: Aug 31, 2007 04:09:38 pm
      I'm better that Boumsong.....my mom is betterthan him. This must not happend. We have to use our young players instead.

I've got a 4 year old nephew who tackles better than him! It must be an agent trick trying to get him on offer to lesser clubs who fancy snapping him up! No chance in hell! :-\
      LFC 4 LYF
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 52 posts | -1 
      Reply #55: Aug 31, 2007 04:56:45 pm
      I can only see a defender coming in now! Chiellini looks the only real possibilty, although Richards would be the best option!

I hope the Baptista rumours aren't true!

I agree, he was terrible at Arsenal apart from the carling cup match but that was because Palleta is rubbish!
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #56: Sep 01, 2007 10:52:50 am

Quick Reply