Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 11th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Have you ever been burgled?

Read 3476 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Have you ever been burgled?
      Mar 14, 2011 05:36:35 pm
      Early this morning I had the great displeasure of having had my flat broken into and burgled. Amongst the stolen items was my laptop and many other possessions most of which belonged to my sister who currently shares the flat my mum and dad own. The worst thing was it all happened while I slept and yet metres away some goon had snuck in to the flat and raided the living room. Admittedly I did hear something and moments later I was alerted by a light, left on by the thief, shining under my bedroom door. It was then I investigated and saw the front door fully ajar and the living room alighted with our possessions gone. It left me deeply shocked and unsettled. I dealt with it cooly and calmly but it has left me seething inside and even a bit vulnerable as well. Has anyone else been the victim of a burglary and how did you deal with it? Your responses would be greatly appreciated.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Re: Have you ever been burgled?
      Reply #1: Mar 14, 2011 05:41:58 pm
      Yes. Buy my druggie aunt and uncle of all people. One of my dads mates went round to theirs and washed their car with paint stripper.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #2: Mar 14, 2011 05:44:19 pm
      I have been, but I wasn't at home thankfully. And I was in the proces of moving, so there wasn't much stuff left. Most stuff that was still there was already packed aswell. They only stole my cd collection, I had at least 200 albums. Really sucked, because I know I'll never hear some of that music again. And I did feel violated.

Your case is much worse though. I think first of all you need to be able to feel safe again in your own home. Some good locks probably help. Take care mate.
      « Last Edit: Mar 15, 2011 01:52:07 pm by Dexter »
      MsGerrard
      Reply #3: Mar 14, 2011 05:48:57 pm
      First of all Frankly, Mr Shankly, I'm really sorry to hear of your news, I've never been burgled fortunately, the thought of someone in your house rummaging round your personal belongings is dreadful, and would be very unsettling, I'd be thinking they might come back  :o

I don't think losing things like a tv would bother me, it would be personal stuff that you can't replace, photo's etc.

I hope you and your family weren't hurt in any way, and get some good strong mortice locks on the door, an alarm if you haven't already got one, be aware of what's happening around you.

How did they get in? Did they do a lot of damage? What did the Police say? Has anyone else in the flats around you been burgled?

Good luck with getting your Sisters and your possessions back.

Take care.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #4: Mar 14, 2011 05:50:59 pm
      Sorry to hear that, FMS. I think your feeling of vulnerability is a common one following burglaries and I know a lot of people find that even the possessions left behind can feel 'dirty' in some way.
      Fortunately I've never been burgled. Somebody did try when I was about 19 and sharing a house with 4 other lads. It was around 3am and they obviously didn't realise we were in another room, quietly playing cards. We heard the glass smash on our kitchen door and paused silently. After a few seconds we ran through to the kitchen to find 2 smackheads making their way to the dining room. We managed to corner them and gave them a pretty good kicking. We'd learned from previous events that getting the police involved was a waste of time (in our situation, not yours) so dealt with it ourselves. We all pretty much expected some kind of repercussions later on, at least a brick through the window but no, nothing ever came of it and we were never bothered again.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5: Mar 14, 2011 05:59:53 pm
      MsGerrard - we were ok and not hurt. The thief somehow got in through the front door which I was sure was locked but now I have my doubts. I'm hoping that it was just my incompetence in forgetting to check it was locked (literally the one night neither me or my sister properly checked and that's what happens!) because I don't like the thought of them having picked their way in or somehow taken a master key. We'll be getting the Crime Prevention Survey in to see what improvements can be made to security. But living in a city environment there is always that high risk.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,672 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #6: Mar 14, 2011 06:03:29 pm
      Can you not get an apartment alarm? Not much good for what has happened, but you could put it on even when you are at home for peace of mind
      MsGerrard
      Reply #7: Mar 14, 2011 06:46:16 pm
      MsGerrard - we were ok and not hurt. The thief somehow got in through the front door which I was sure was locked but now I have my doubts. I'm hoping that it was just my incompetence in forgetting to check it was locked (literally the one night neither me or my sister properly checked and that's what happens!) because I don't like the thought of them having picked their way in or somehow taken a master key. We'll be getting the Crime Prevention Survey in to see what improvements can be made to security. But living in a city environment there is always that high risk.

I'm very glad you weren't hurt at all, so was there any kind of force or damage to the front door? Get your locks changed in case they stole a key, and yes, a good idea to get some info from the Crime officer, good luck with it all.

What part of the country do you live in?
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #8: Mar 14, 2011 07:28:31 pm
      Was broken into years ago, twice. The first time I was in bed and was woken b y a noise, went downstairs with a baseball bat firmly in hand but they ran off without taking anything.

About 2-3 weeks later they came back when no-one was at home. Tbh, I didn't have much to steal from then. They took the tv, stereo & a couple of other things.

Moved out of there immediately after that. It was a pretty sickening feeling at the time and couldn't bare to stay there another night.

Sorry to hear that this has happened to you FMS. It is a traumatic and un-nerving thing knowing someone has been in your home and will no doubt take some time to get over.

Not sure what advice I could give you though as I guess it's different for everyone. As I said, I was fortunate enough to be in a position to easily move out, as I was only renting at the time and a friend owned a flat that was empty, so could move right in that night. Get the place made as secure as you can though mate, locks and bolts on windows and doors and an alarm if you can. Not cheap though but, it will give you some piece of mind which is invaluable.

Anyway, sorry to hear that and hope you can put this behind you as quick as possible.

Let's hope the scum responsible has some really bad karma as they are the lowest of the low.

Good luck with it all mate.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #9: Mar 14, 2011 07:29:58 pm
      I'm very glad you weren't hurt at all, so was there any kind of force or damage to the front door? Get your locks changed in case they stole a key, and yes, a good idea to get some info from the Crime officer, good luck with it all.

What part of the country do you live in?

There was no sign of force or damage at all. Oh and I live in Glasgow so it's not really that uncommon!
      « Last Edit: Mar 14, 2011 07:35:42 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #10: Mar 14, 2011 07:39:32 pm
      Sorry to hear your bad news FMS, and I hope you get your belongings back.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,908 posts | 6832 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #11: Mar 14, 2011 08:05:12 pm
      Sorry to hear that FMS. Totally F***ing sucks. I have fortunately never had it happened to me and I pray it doesn't but I can only imagine how violated you and your family feel. I hope you can get over it soon but what I think really will help you get over it quickly is either yourself or the coppers finding this pr**k,getting your stuff back and locking the arse hole up or having the sh*t beat out of him.

Take care mate.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,672 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #12: Mar 14, 2011 08:15:10 pm
      The laptop and wedding presents were stolen out of my girlfriends car from infront of my house. We never caught who did it. I have an idea as there is a family down the road who are wearing all the clothes I put in our bins, in black sacks. Freaks me out whenever I see them
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #13: Mar 14, 2011 08:31:48 pm
      My sister was once, luckily they caught him though. Was a 16 year old.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,765 posts | 7184 
      Reply #14: Mar 14, 2011 08:37:12 pm
      Sorry to heat about that. I have 21 stone of Dogs and an angry missus so no need for an Alarm.it can happen anywhere at anytime these days regardless of your postcode.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #15: Mar 14, 2011 08:50:05 pm
      Sorry to hear of your break in FMS, are you insured ? regarding burglaries I've been unfortunate to have been a victim twice !
      First time was in Sept '94 when I was with my 1st wife, we'd just moved to a new house in a nice village in South yorkshire and the kids had got friendly with the local kids who attended a rough school in the neighbouring village of Grimethorpe.
      The kids we're into the bragging stage, we've got TWO Sega mega drives, a new PC and my dads got a massive record and CD collection. you know what kids are like !
      anyway I'd just spent £125 on 45's and 78's (old style records for you young 'uns!) and was busy in the garage cum workshop that was behind the property collating my collection of records.
      went in the house at midnight and inadvertantly left the garage door open which was visable from the main road even though we live in a cul de sac.
      Anyway the next mornng I noticed the garage door open so went to investigate, three mountain bikes missing, 5 holdhalls, 2 megasdrives, a pc and my CD's gone 400 of the bas**rds !
      They left the £125 of records because they're worthless to the every day punter in preference to the cd's !

I got paid out in full but like Dexter commented there are certain cd's you know you won't get replaced and even now there's albums and singles that make you think, I'm SURE I had that or this !

The second time (Nov '99) was just after my ex-wife took off and left me with her kids and newly born Grandaughter (theres another story, but it can wait !).

I Got up one morning for work, door wide open, Daughters car missing, new HIFI, and a brand new Elvis Presley 50cd box set of CD's that the wife had bought me from the catalogue for my birthday before she fu**ed off ! daughters new Puffa jacket gone.
      I'm sure in my own mind it was the ex wife who did it but had no proof, she denied it but then she would, they're was no sign of a break in, the car keys we're on the side so I had to claim of the insurance !
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #16: Mar 14, 2011 09:05:28 pm
      So sorry to hear your bad news FMS it's a horrible feeling.

I've not had my house burgled but myself and some friends had our tents burgled when on holiday in the Pyrenees and yes we were in the tents sleeping at the time.

Fortunately for me they only took my mobile as all my belongings were in my rucksack which I was using as a pillow.  My friends however had their passports, kayaking equipment (not the boats), video equipment and all their money taken.

The ba**ards had unpegged the tents to gain access without using the zips.  It was very freaky to think that somebody had been rummaging around me with only my sleeping bag as protection.  Still makes my skin crawl to think they might have touched us in the process.

With regards to your future security my parents were advised when they were burgled to have bolts put on the outside of every internal door so that if anyone gets in they can only burgle that room.  Also to make sure that spare bedroom curtains were closed every evening so people don't know if they are occupied or not.  

They had broken into a spare bedroom, gone into the living room and taken the weeks takings from their business.  They went out through the front door and that's when my Dad woke up.  He went after them but didn't catch them thankfully as the police found a 12 inch kitchen knife on the drive.

Nothing else was touched or taken, so the police thought they had been watching the house and their movements.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #17: Mar 14, 2011 09:31:22 pm
      Sorry to hear of your stress mate. Happened years ago at my Mum's. My Dad heard them and ran downstairs in his knack. He must have a big scary fat penis though as they ran away with nowt!

It did leave us feeling violated and vulnerable. It'll pass though mate!
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #18: Mar 14, 2011 09:34:57 pm
      Will be unsettling, been done four times myself. Hope you were insured if you was check what exactly has gone before you claim. For instance when you decide to go away in the summer and look for you camera....... Oops that went and you didn't claim for it.

On another point was probably opportunist thief so they won't be back, well not for a while anyway as they stole what they wanted.

Invest in good locks, and don't let the bas**rds get you down.

Ynwa
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #19: Mar 14, 2011 11:42:24 pm
      Been done once and they destroyed all the doors in the house as well, kicked them all in.  Took my laptop, PS and loads of my DVDs and more depressingly some antique photo frames, hand-me-downs and the very personal photos they held.  I was out of the house for 55 minutes that day.  The cheekiest part though, the bas**rds nicked my suitcase to put it all in.  I wasn't insured either.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #20: Mar 14, 2011 11:51:24 pm
      There is never no burgalries where I live infact I can only remember one when I was about fifteen, A lad broke into an old womans house, two days later he was thrown in a car and took up the garages at the very top of my street, he had all his fingers broken and both his arms to serve as a warning to any one else who got ideas about shitting on their own doorstep.
      Brooklyn Red
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #21: Mar 15, 2011 12:30:34 am
      Ugh, sorry to hear that FMS. I've never had the displeasure and I hope I never do. That must be very unsettling, especially seeing how you were home. I hope it gets sorted for you and you find some peace of mind, pal.

My Dad heard them and ran downstairs in his knack. He must have a big scary fat penis though as they ran away with nowt!

F***ing Gow! :lmao:
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #22: Mar 15, 2011 12:35:10 am
      That must be awful getting burgled. I've never been burgled but that must be an awful and scary feeling when everything that you've worked for has been stolen. I hope everything works out for you.

Quick Reply