Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

U2 or Sex Pistols

Read 22731 times
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Re: U2 or Sex Pistols
      Reply #69: Apr 08, 2013 12:07:05 am
      Saw the Sex Pistols live, and they were sh*t, couldn't even play, never mind sing! U2 all the way for me, outstanding live band.
      Friend of mine saw Bon Jovi Live, he said they could really sing and play and he wishes they hadn't
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #70: Apr 08, 2013 12:11:05 am
      Friend of mine saw Bon Jovi Live, he said they could really sing and play and he wishes they hadn't

Very good. ;D

I F***ing hate Bon Jovi.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #71: Apr 08, 2013 12:22:51 am

A lot of people can sing and play live but not all can perform or either have the music to back up their singing and playing talents. U2 do. I don't think it takes much to act like a fool on stage and not know how to play your instruments (Sex Pistols). Never seen the attraction of that and never will. Will always see the attraction of the ability to perform as a unit backed up by the ability to sing and play. Oh and the ability to write timeless tunes...like below! Got to say only bought the concert below on dvd, put it on one afternoon and my mind was blown. Changed my opinion of live music and U2 for ever.

U2 - Running To Stand Still & Where The Streets Have No Name (Zoo TV Live From Sydney)

U2 - Until The End Of The World & New Year's Day (ZOO TV Live From Sydney)(HIGH QUALITY)

If there's one moment in music history I could take a time machine to it would most definitely be Zoo TV Sydney 1993!
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #72: Apr 08, 2013 01:55:13 am
      Sex Pistols At Randy's Rodeo-New York-Sid Hits Guy With Bass.

Sex Pistols - Roadrunner

I am not disputing U2 but many years and countless dosh to put on a show only makes it less accessible and obfuscates what your really trying to say. WHich is I am out of ideas so I'll make a really big show
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #73: Apr 12, 2013 12:30:36 am
      I was a huge U2 fan but when Rattle and Hum and Achtung Baby came out and Bono became "The Fly"....I lost interest. Bono turned into a douche and they completely got away from what made them a great band.

I never liked the Pistols, I listened to Punk and Hardcore but hated the Pistols. I liked The Exploited and Cockney Rejects and GBH but could not get into the Pistols and I dont know why.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #74: Apr 12, 2013 12:49:19 am
      I was a huge U2 fan but when Rattle and Hum and Achtung Baby came out and Bono became "The Fly"....I lost interest. Bono turned into a douche and they completely got away from what made them a great band.

I never liked the Pistols, I listened to Punk and Hardcore but hated the Pistols. I liked The Exploited and Cockney Rejects and GBH but could not get into the Pistols and I dont know why.

I have recently came back to them. It is the strength of the songs they made that gets me.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #75: Apr 12, 2013 03:06:30 pm
      Sex Pistols At Randy's Rodeo-New York-Sid Hits Guy With Bass.

Sex Pistols - Roadrunner

I am not disputing U2 but many years and countless dosh to put on a show only makes it less accessible and obfuscates what your really trying to say. WHich is I am out of ideas so I'll make a really big show

Not saying anything about Zoo TV other than looking back on it, the tour was a culturally sophisticated piece of brilliant satire that mocked the televisual obsession of the early 90s.  Nothing to do with 'we've run out of ideas so we'll play to big audiences'. U2 were already playing to massive audiences before Zoo TV only this time they made a statement with it. Quite frankly it was a case of 'been there, done that' with regards to playing to small audiences with U2, clearly evident in their early period.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #76: Apr 12, 2013 09:09:36 pm
      Not saying anything about Zoo TV other than looking back on it, the tour was a culturally sophisticated piece of brilliant satire that mocked the televisual obsession of the early 90s.  Nothing to do with 'we've run out of ideas so we'll play to big audiences'. U2 were already playing to massive audiences before Zoo TV only this time they made a statement with it. Quite frankly it was a case of 'been there, done that' with regards to playing to small audiences with U2, clearly evident in their early period.
      I saw the Zoo TV tour in NY at Yankee Stadium and it was a HUGE production but when Bono was doing "The Fly" and it was all tongue in cheek he overplayed it and actually started to become that guy.

I know bands grow and change etc,etc... but, for me I cant listen to anything after Joshua Tree.  For me, U2 will be that band that played Red Rocks when Bono came out during Sunday Bloody Sunday and planted the flag in the crowd. That was an iconic rock moment. That was U2.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #77: Apr 12, 2013 10:19:52 pm
      I saw the Zoo TV tour in NY at Yankee Stadium and it was a HUGE production but when Bono was doing "The Fly" and it was all tongue in cheek he overplayed it and actually started to become that guy.

I know bands grow and change etc,etc... but, for me I cant listen to anything after Joshua Tree.  For me, U2 will be that band that played Red Rocks when Bono came out during Sunday Bloody Sunday and planted the flag in the crowd. That was an iconic rock moment. That was U2.

Granted that it's hard to distinguish between The Fly and the Bono of today (!) and I too absolutely love that performance from Red Rocks but for me it just shows how diverse, creative and progressive a band they became. It's hard to believe Zoo TV was the same band 10 years on but I really think it was a mark of how great a band they are at the same time. If U2 had ended after War then they would be cited as one of the best post punk bands of the era, on that record alone. The annoying thing is that very few of those bands had the guts or the nous to take a completely different approach to things and radically transform themselves. U2 did though and the end product was a band that is vastly different from the one that performed at Red Rocks and despite all the years and the records that have come and gone, still a band that can hold intrigue and interest within the contemporary era without having to fall back on decades old songs. There still very much a band of the present era and that's a big testament to them.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #78: Apr 23, 2013 09:46:52 am
      Seems the talent of a band / artist is measured in the size of their UK audiences and fan base nowadays.
      All hail Westlife.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #79: May 02, 2020 03:34:15 pm
      Pistols 100%.Only one album but what an album,all the reformed stuff nah,u2 commercial pap.

Quick Reply