Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Favourite Musical Lyrics

Read 80876 times
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Re: Favourite Musical Lyrics
      Reply #161: Jul 10, 2011 11:23:37 pm
      I agree that this thread should be full of one or two lines from a song - not the full song.

With all due respect mate, who died and made you God?.

Take Chop Suey as an example. System Of A Down are Armenian Americans. The whole song tells a story, it's about man's suffering, particularly the Armenian genocide that occured in 1915 at the hands of the Turks and which was covered up. It's also about the suffering of Jesus and how he was betrayed and his sacrifice for the human race. Most of their songs are about religion and the Armenian genocide, they are highly intelligent and powerful lyrics. They relate to how people hide what is going on inside themselves by enhancing their external persona. Based on fact and not fiction.

The whole song tells a story so it would be unfair to quote a couple of lines as the whole lyrical content carries great power and meaning. Music is a very powerful media, in fact i'd say it is the most powerful media there is, they use this media as a platform to make people aware of what happened to their descendants, nearly 100 years on. Respect to them for that.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #162: Jul 10, 2011 11:28:30 pm

Take Chop Suey as an example. System Of A Down are Armenian Americans. The whole song tells a story, it's about man's suffering, particularly the Armenian genocide that occured in 1915 at the hands of the Turks and which was covered up. It's also about the suffering of Jesus and how he was betrayed and his sacrifice for the human race. Most of their songs are about religion and the Armenian genocide, they are highly intelligent and powerful lyrics. They relate to how people hide what is going on inside themselves by enhancing their external persona. Based on fact and not fiction.

The whole song tells a story so it would be unfair to quote a couple of lines as the whole lyrical content carries great power and meaning. Music is a very powerful media, in fact I'd say it is the most powerful media there is, they use this media as a platform to make people aware of what happened to their descendants, nearly 100 years on. Respect to them for that.

I agree hardcore and I think I've posted a couple of full songs as you only get the context of the lyric in the full song or the full song is one of your favourite lyrics.

My first post was a full song, The Smiths Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want, as it is the full song which is one of my favourite lyrics not just one part of it.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #163: Jul 11, 2011 01:33:09 am
      Chop Suey. What a song. Oh and yes sometimes the whole song is needed for context. Like all my Pearl Jam mentions ;)
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #164: Jul 11, 2011 02:13:34 am

The whole song tells a story so it would be unfair to quote a couple of lines as the whole lyrical content carries great power and meaning. Music is a very powerful media, in fact i'd say it is the most powerful media there is, they use this media as a platform to make people aware of what happened to their descendants, nearly 100 years on. Respect to them for that.

First of all mate, I never said "F**k off with all these full songs, I'm god of this thread and I say it must all be 2 or 3 lines from a song"
      I'm actually agreeing with what a few people have already said in this thread if you read back through the pages. Why don't you have a go at them aswell for having the same opinion as me? Just my opinion, if I'm allowed to give it without being accused of acting god-like.

Secondly, I wasn't pointing a finger at anyone in particular. I swear I've skimmed through all the pages without looking at and members names who posted full songs.

And you don't have to preach to me about the lyrics of that song. I never said that all of the lyrics from a song aren't important. I've never even heard that song to have that opinion about it.

I understand and apologise if I sounded as if I was having a go at any people. Just agreeing with anyone else who's pointed out that they prefer to see a few lines of lyrics too. I don't think there was any need in your opening comment of that post that I've highlighted in bold.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #165: Jul 11, 2011 02:29:56 am

Mate, when I started the thread, that is actually what I mean, for people to pot tjeir favourite 3/4 lines from a particular song. Just any lyric that had any significance to any feeling they had at the time. I didn't mind wharsoever peopple posting full song lyrics at all as obviously people coulde reate to the lyrics of a song fully.

To be honest, I think any lyrics you feel attribute to you personally should be posted here, be it 3 lines or 30 lines. As long  as they mean something to you.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      Reply #166: Jul 11, 2011 09:09:42 am
      First of all mate, I never said "f**k off with all these full songs, I'm god of this thread and I say it must all be 2 or 3 lines from a song"
      I'm actually agreeing with what a few people have already said in this thread if you read back through the pages. Why don't you have a go at them aswell for having the same opinion as me? Just my opinion, if I'm allowed to give it without being accused of acting god-like.

Secondly, I wasn't pointing a finger at anyone in particular. I swear I've skimmed through all the pages without looking at and members names who posted full songs.

And you don't have to preach to me about the lyrics of that song. I never said that all of the lyrics from a song aren't important. I've never even heard that song to have that opinion about it.

I understand and apologise if I sounded as if I was having a go at any people. Just agreeing with anyone else who's pointed out that they prefer to see a few lines of lyrics too. I don't think there was any need in your opening comment of that post that I've highlighted in bold.

Mate, when I started the thread, that is actually what I mean, for people to pot tjeir favourite 3/4 lines from a particular song. Just any lyric that had any significance to any feeling they had at the time. I didn't mind wharsoever peopple posting full song lyrics at all as obviously people coulde reate to the lyrics of a song fully.

To be honest, I think any lyrics you feel attribute to you personally should be posted here, be it 3 lines or 30 lines. As long  as they mean something to you.

Listen lads, we obviously have different viewpoints on this topic and that is fair enough. I find that a complete song means something to me as opposed to a few lines of lyrics from any particular song. I can honestly say that i couldn't exactly pinpoint a single verse from any song that i like because the songs i like tell a story through a multitude of verses, not just one.

I couldn't really quote a verse from Chop Suey as it would mean nothing without the other verses and chorus sections. It would be like buying a book and only reading one chapter to me.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      Reply #167: Jul 11, 2011 09:15:14 am
      I agree that this thread should be full of one or two lines from a song - not the full song.

First of all mate, I never said "f**k off with all these full songs, I'm god of this thread and I say it must all be 2 or 3 lines from a song"

www.confused.com  :-\

Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #168: Jul 11, 2011 09:30:16 am
      Oh and yes sometimes the whole song is needed for context.

Like this one, 'Unstable' by Life of Agony

Now I know the lyrics aren't exactly happy-go-lucky but they're about him sitting in a hospital waiting room as his wife/partner is with a consultant. I've always liked the part, It's hard to be the one who's strong, Who's always got a shoulder to cry on, Who's got a shoulder for me?

By posting the lyrics I'm probably killing the song for you but if you listen to it without reading ahead, as I once did, the last line is screamed out and it's a real choker.

This cancer is killing me
      As much as it's killing you
      If it takes you away from me
      I don't know what I would do
      Just try for some peace of mind
      But it's so hard to find
      It's so hard to just sit and wait
      And wait some more
      Staring at the door
      Skim through the magazines
      Pretend like everything's gonna be alright
      Although you know it won't be
      Unstable
      It's hard to be the one who's strong
      Who's always got a shoulder to cry on
      Who's got a shoulder for me?
      When I'm about to breakdown
      You're never around
      But maybe it's better that way
      You've got enough to worry about
      You've got your hands full don't you
      Don't you see?
      This cancer is killing me
      Like it's killing you
      Mentally
      Unstable
      And all I really want to know is if she's going to be alright

'cause she's been in there a long, long time
      And I've been out here losing my mind
      You're scared
      You're frightened
      You're so afraid of what he may say
      But you try and be brave
      For me sitting impatiently
      In the lobby of emergency
      You burst on through that door with this look on your face
      I've never seen before
      You explode into endless tears
      Whisper in my ear
      Baby
      Baby
      I've only got one more year
      Unstable

hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      Reply #169: Jul 11, 2011 09:55:27 am
      Agreed Rep. Very powerful lyrics they are and you have to hear them all to get the full story. Having lost relatives and friends to cancer i can really relate to that song myself. Reading them is slightly different to listening to them in a song with music, i will seek this song out so i can listen to it properly.

Like you said, even though those few lines you quoted had meaning, nobody can understand the complete meaning of those words unless they are accompanied by the rest of the lyrics, which tell the full harrowing story. And of course, the instruments. Music is so powerful.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #170: Jul 11, 2011 10:24:00 am
      Yeah I'm sure a lot of people could relate to the lyrics. It's the way they both try to be strong for each other. The words are ones that he wants to say to her, to tell her how much it's hurting him but he would never come out and say it for her sake, so he just pretends everything's ok and tries to be that shoulder for her. At the same time I think she's trying to hold it together and the whole charade falls to pieces at the end of the song when she breaks down an tells him she's only got one more year. Makes me wonder how he reacts beyond those lyrics and whether he can stay strong or break down with her.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      Reply #171: Jul 11, 2011 10:56:19 am

If you cant see a difference in those 2 quotes mate, I can't help you.

There's a clear difference between me saying that I think it should be 2 or 3 lines etc, or me saying it must be like that.

Should and must obviously mean the same thing to you? I swear you're looking for an argument here.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      Reply #172: Jul 11, 2011 11:03:56 am
      I can honestly say that i couldn't exactly pinpoint a single verse from any song that i like because the songs i like tell a story through a multitude of verses, not just one.

I couldn't really quote a verse from Chop Suey as it would mean nothing without the other verses and chorus sections. It would be like buying a book and only reading one chapter to me.

I understand that you prefer lyrics that tell a full story, but that doesn't mean that every song is like that. I agree that for some songs, like the one you mention there, that is the case, but there are probably more songs consisting of random lyrics that don't tell a story, than there are songs that do. All the lyrics I've posted a few posts up are like that. The songs they come from are good songs, but they they are the standout lyrics from the song, and make sense without seeing the other lyrics.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #173: Jul 12, 2011 08:31:11 am
      for when I get in one of my depressed-shut-everyone-out-of-my-life moods.

RHCP - Under The Bridge

Sometimes I feel like I don't have a partner
      Sometimes I feel like my only friend

It's hard to believe that there's nobody out there
      It's hard to believe that I'm all alone
      ^ ^ ^ Ah, nothing like a song about Heroin addiction when your feeling down.  ;D

Ladies and gentlemen this beautiful offering:
      EverLast
      What It's Like lyrics

We've all seen the man at the liquor store beggin' for your change
      The hair on his face is dirty, dreadlocked and full of mange
      He ask the man for what he could spare with shame in his eyes
      Get a job you f***in' slob's all he replied

[CHORUS]
      God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in his shoes
      'Cause then you really might know what it's like to sing the blues
      Then you really might know what it's like [x4]

Mary got pregnant from a kid named Tom who said he was in love
      He said don't worry about a thing baby doll I'm the man you've been dreamin' of
      But three months later he said he won't date her or return her call
      And she sweared god damn if I find that man I'm cuttin' off his balls
      And then she heads for the clinic and she gets some static walkin' through the doors
      They call her a killer, and they call her a sinner, and they call her a whore

[CHORUS]
      God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in her shoes
      'Cause then you really might know what it's like to have to choose
      Then you really might know what it's like [x4]
      I've seen a rich man beg
      I've seen a good man sin
      I've seen a tough man cry
      I've seen a loser win
      And a sad man grin
      I heard an honest man lie
      I've seen the good side of bad
      And the down side of up
      And everything between
      I licked the silver spoon
      Drank from the golden cup
      Smoked the finest green
      I stroked the baddest dimes at least a couple of times
      Before I broke their heart
      You know where it ends
      Yo, it usually depends on where you start

I knew this kid named Max
      He used to get fat stacks out on the corner with drugs
      He liked to hang out late at night
      Liked to get sh*t faced
      And keep pace with thugs
      Until late one night there was a big gun fight
      Max lost his head
      He pulled out his chrome .45
      Talked some sh*t
      And wound up dead
      Now his wife and his kids are caught in the midst of all of his pain
      You know it crumbles that way
      At least that's what they say when you play the game

[CHORUS]
      God forbid you ever had to wake up to hear the news
      'Cause then you really might know what it's like to have to lose
      Then you really might know what it's like [x3]
      To have to lose...
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,183 posts | 526 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #174: Jul 12, 2011 08:56:23 pm
      HCS, I haven't heard this song in ages, thanks for posting it, brings up some great memories from the first time I heard this tune, a 16-17 year old me, on a gig with my friend, with these two college guys, oh great times, would go back to them without even thinking. Was looking for a CD of System of a down because of this particular song like crazy, till finally this friend of mine borrowed me his, couldn't stop listening to the song.

On topic,

Will those feet in modern times
      Walk on soles made in China?
      See the bright prosaic malls?
      Forgive me all my sins

The Verve - Love Is Noise

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #175: Jul 15, 2011 11:05:41 pm
      My favourite song from The Verve Velvet Morning.

And now I'm trying to tell you
      About my life
      And my tongue is twisted
      And more dead than alive
      And my feelings
      They've always been betrayed
      And I was born a little damaged man
      And look what they made

I said, don't you find
      That it's lonely
      The corridor
      You walk there alone
      And life is a game
      You've tried
      And life is a game
      You're tired

The Verve - Velvet Morning
      Brooklyn Red

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #176: Jul 17, 2011 12:56:35 pm
      New Drink for the Old Drunk (aka the theme song for my 40th birthday  :f_tongueincheek: )

Would you try--
      could you buy a new drink for the old drunk
      It's no crime to resign misery with a bottle
      You walked into town without making a sound
      And you slipped and you slammed your face into the crowd
      As you tried to forget all the words that were said
      To deny all the things that you keep in your head

When you came you were new but today you're much older
      You were spent so you went to get used in the corner
      Where they kicked you around like a rodeo clown
      And it echoed through town they were beating you down
      And as they spread the word that you liked how it hurt
      All at once you were cause for a pitiful cure

Hours pass by half forgotten
      Night turns black cause it's rotten
      And we slide right to the bottom
      Our tongues made out of cotton

Eyes seal shut in a slumber
      Til we hear someone mumble
      Could you spare from the tumbler
      A new drink for the old drunk

Now you waste all your days in the dark in the corner
      Without light without grace where you wait for the slaughter
      Where they spit in your face as the hours grow late
      And they laugh as they lie and then seal up your fate
      And you cringe as you binge to forget how you hate
      All the doom in this pitiful room you create

Hours pass by half forgotten
      Night turns black cause it's rotten
      And we slide right to the bottom
      Our tongues made out of cotton
      Eyes seal shut in a slumber
      Til we hear someone mumble
      Could you spare from the tumbler
      A new drink for the old drunk

Crooked Fingers - New Drink for the Old Drunk
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #177: Jul 23, 2011 01:26:43 am
      The Smiths - I want the one I can't have

"On the day that your mentality decides to try and catch up with your biology..."
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #178: Jul 25, 2011 10:23:32 pm
      One of my favourite songs and while it's not very upbeat I really like this lyric

James Sit Down

Now I'm relieved to hear
      That you've been to some far out places
      It's hard to carry on
      When you feel all alone
      Now I've swung back down again
      It's worse than it was before
      If I hadn't seen such riches
      I could live with being poor

James - Sit Down (With Lyrics)

Brilliant song.
      derekm323f
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 81 posts |
      • Current Location: Newcastle, Australia
      Reply #179: Aug 10, 2011 01:42:15 am
      Sage Francis - The Best Of Times...

"Pyromaniac, kleptomaniac, couldn’t explain my desire to steal that fire.'
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,183 posts | 526 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #180: Aug 10, 2011 11:30:01 am
      Sometimes I feel like a little lost child
      Sometimes I feel like the chosen one
      Sometimes I wanna shout out 'til everything goes quiet
      Sometimes I wonder why I was ever born

And if I stop for a minute
      I think about things really I don't wanna know

Keane feat. K'naan - Stop For A Minute
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #181: Sep 24, 2011 11:50:56 pm
      I always loved this lyric

Words like violence
      Break the silence
      Come crashing in
      Into my little world
      Painful to me
      Pierce right through me
      Can't you understand
      Oh my little girl

All I ever wanted
      All I ever needed
      Is here in my arms
      Words are very unnecessary
      They can only do harm

Depeche Mode - Enjoy The Silence original (not live)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #182: Oct 05, 2011 10:59:59 pm
      The National - About Today

Tonight you just close your eyes
      and I just watch you
      slip away

How close am I to losing you

Warrior Soundtrack / The National - About today

It's also in the closing part of The Warrior which is an excellent film. Highly recommended.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #183: Oct 08, 2011 01:58:01 pm
      Someday you might find your hero
      Some say you might lose your mind
      I keeping my head down now for the summer
      I'm outta my mind let me pull the other
      I'm gonna take that tiger outside for a ride

What a life!
      What a life!

Keep on chasing down that rainbow
      You'll never know what you might find
      Over the sunset on the horizon
      Maybe you dream but it tastes like poison
      I'm gonna take that tiger outside for a ride

What a life!
      What a life!
      What a life!
      What a life!

What a life!
      What a life!
      What a life!
      What a life!

Someday you might find your hero
      Some say you might lose your mind
      Woo Hoo

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - AKA... What A Life!

Quick Reply