Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Why do so many....

Read 1718 times
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Why do so many....
      Jul 31, 2007 02:01:24 pm
      of are local past and present players supported the blues when they were kids? i noticed that Robbie therwall (dont know how to spell) supported the blues along with carra, michael owen etc.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Re: Why do so many....
      Reply #1: Jul 31, 2007 02:46:41 pm
      Possibly because they were a better team in them days, growing up in the 80s they were are only real rivals
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2: Jul 31, 2007 03:57:56 pm
      I didn't know that Carra did until just now, started reading Michael Owen's autobiography!! :o :o
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #3: Jul 31, 2007 05:19:25 pm
      of are local past and present players supported the blues when they were kids? I noticed that Robbie therwall (dont know how to spell) supported the blues along with carra, michael owen etc.

they were kids and didnt know any better !!  Soon come to their senses though  ;D
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #4: Jul 31, 2007 07:36:23 pm
      Brained washed by there dads luckly they saw the light as they got older and wiser.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #5: Jul 31, 2007 09:27:00 pm
      The thing is when you are born in Liverpool, you either support Liverpool or Liverpool Reserves or everton, I was born in Bootle, and all my family were Reds so I was brought up to be a Red as well, thank god.

Where as I now live in Leicestershire and they all just support whoever is at the top for that season, there's no real loyalty, people say to me "you live here now, you should support Leicester", but I could never do that and will always continue to support Liverpool even if we were at the bottom of division 2

Like Aldo, once a Red always a Red.  In fact I probably feel a need to support them more strongly because I don't live there anymore....more's the pity.

Liverpool Scouse through and through, and I'm proud of where I come from. :)
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #6: Aug 08, 2007 09:28:09 pm
      Where as I now live in Leicestershire and they all just support whoever is at the top for that season, there's no real loyalty
      Cardiff have that same problem, glory supporters, needs sorting :( Lots of "lower league" teams have the problem. F***ing sucks.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #7: Aug 13, 2007 12:26:07 am
      started reading Michael Owen's autobiography!! :o :o

So he's actually released a book then.  Wow that went unnoticed.

When you get to the bit when he was leaving Liverpool for Real Madrid let me know!  I want to know what was going through his mind at that time!

But anyway back on topic.  (I've got a knack for going off topic recently  ::)

God knows why we get more scouse Evertonians.  They couldn't support Everton that much if they play for Liverpool, thats what I always say ;)
      « Last Edit: Aug 13, 2007 12:29:29 am by Court LFC »
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #8: Aug 13, 2007 12:46:09 am
      If they were "real" everton fans, then they wouldn't play for Liverpool in my opinion.

Take MsGerrard for instance. Have a look at her post above. There's no way you could see her putting on a blue shirt is there? And it's the same for me. Not a chance. If when I was growing up and I was the best player in the world (and I was by the way, but got involved with women and drink  ;)) and Everton were the biggest and best team in England (hang on while I control my laughter....), there is still no way at all I could play for them.

Other people might think differently, but all the money and opportunities in the world, wouldn't make me change my mind. I wouldn't go near everton.

It speaks volumes when you have great players who might have been edging to the blue half when they were kids, but end up being reds.....
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #9: Aug 13, 2007 08:17:07 am
      Personnally I think its all propaganda when you hear that about a Liverpool player supporting the blue sh*te. Media hype to milk a bit of controversy out of the situation and too breed even more contempt between the two sets of supporters. Oh cockneys make me laugh when they try and do that they think they are sooo clever. Little do they relize the set in which families in Liverpool have blues and reds in em and you can have blue and red shirts sat in either ends of the grounds without any problem what so ever.

The only problem being is the blue sh*te are bitter and sit in the dark waiting for salvation, but as far as the players go! Personnally I think being a profesional player goes beyond local rivalries. As a pro they must serve the club they are employed by and being pros do that in the best manner they can and to the best of their ability. For example could you imagine Jamie handballing to give the blue sh*te a penalty allbeit deliberately!!!
      Umm I dont think that would happen.... As far the players go personal feelings doesnt come into it you will find (allbeit with some exceptions take note Cisse) that most pros especially at Liverpool are "TEAM" men team team team is always mentioned in interviews and although some autobiographys and media articles mention them supporting the local rivals, I really think that most of that is down to adding a bit of spice to the book or article in order to sell it more to the people who dont live in Liverpool or really understand the local mentality.

Quick Reply