Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who was your man of the match today?

Luis Suarez
      56 (48.7%)
      Daniel Agger
      19 (16.5%)
      Jay Spearing
      35 (30.4%)
      Dirk Kuyt
      3 (2.6%)
      Andy Carroll
      0 (0%)
      Martin Skrtel
      2 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Sunderland 0-2 Liverpool - post match delight

Read 48180 times
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Re: Sunderland 0-2 Liverpool - post match delight
      Reply #575: Mar 21, 2011 02:26:10 am
      think luis is going to have a big impact every game he plays. think he can match torres goal total in his first year.he has immense football skills and can turn a game on its head. he is a work horse. and he brings other players games up to a new level not seen before. hope it can get us into 4 th place
      Always aways
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts |
      Reply #576: Mar 21, 2011 03:28:34 am
      What a brilliant display..albeit after we converted the pen(as everyones noted,it's only justice after last years bulls***!)is when we finally got into our stride.Dagger was defo great and a welcome site in defense,but my MOTM goes to Skrtel-Can't believe I chose him 'cause usually I run him down.A close 2nd is Sammy Lee,,,oh sorry,I mean the New Sammy Lee:Jay Spearing.That lad will give his final breath on the pitch for LFC(note that this summer please,KK,he's a keeper.).A good team performance by all-get back in centre of field Meireles;you,re more out of place than damn Babel on the left.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #577: Mar 21, 2011 08:23:28 am
      Sunderland 0 Liverpool 2: match report

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/7944144/Sunderland-0-Liverpool-2-match-report.html

The Liverpool owner, John W Henry, has joined Kenny Dalglish in remaining defiantly coy about the future because “it’s the Liverpool Way” but everything he said is pointing towards his manager being in charge of first-team affairs for the long haul.

In a rare public utterance, the American refused to discuss Dalglish’s future, but after taking in his first game outside Merseyside he delivered a ringing endorsement of the Scot after it emerged that the pair had opened talks on life at Anfield beyond this season.

“What is going on in that regard is private,” Henry said. “It is something called the Liverpool Way and you do these things behind closed doors. I am not going to talk about these things. He has done very well.” Henry had a veiled dig at Dalglish’s predecessor, Roy Hodgson, when asked if there had been a change in mood since his takeover. “Absolutely, it’s all very positive,” he added. “Someone was saying that people weren’t happy here. But I think since that person left, people are happier.”

Henry, 61, was speaking after Dalglish masterminded an impressive victory — his sixth in 10 games – that came courtesy of Dirk Kuyt’s controversial penalty and a Luis Suárez belter. “It was a great goal,” Henry observed. “He is a heck of a player.” Victory enabled Liverpool to close the gap on Tottenham, but Henry acknowledged it will take some doing to finish fifth.

“We are working on the future,” Henry said. “We will have to have a lot of days like today to do that (finish fifth). This was a big three points, because this is a tough place.

“Tottenham are fifth and look very good, so we will have to play extraordinarily well. We will have to win when they come to Anfield to have a shot at that.”

Later Dalglish — only contracted to Liverpool until the end of this term – sidestepped questions over his future. “I’ve seen in the papers I’ve asked for four years, but I don’t know who I’m supposed to have asked. I saw that I was offered two, but I don’t know who sent that in,” he said.

“Somebody asked if I’d spoken to the owners. Of course I have, I speak to them every week. They’re fantastic and supportive, but there’s been no detailed discussions about next year.

“Until there’s something to be said we can’t make it up for you, until then, there’s nothing. The club has always been the most important thing. There’s no pressure on anyone.”

They say what goes around comes around and that adage certainly rang true here. Some 18 months after Sunderland beat Liverpool courtesy of a beach-ball, the wheel of fortune turned full circle. Last season Dalglish watched from the directors’ box when Darren Bent’s winner was incorrectly allowed to stand after he scored with the help of an inflatable, so there was a sense of karma when Kuyt converted an unjust penalty.

Dalglish’s side were given a helping hand by referee Kevin Friend’s assistant, Billy Smallwood, who erred in telling his colleague — who initially awarded a free-kick – that John Mensah had felled the excellent Jay Spearing in the penalty box. Replays were unforgiving, as was Kuyt, who sent the ball one way while Simon Mignolet dived the other and put the visitors on track against a side who have only beaten Liverpool twice in 20 Premier League meetings.

Sunderland manager Steve Bruce, whose side have lost five of their last six games, demanded the introduction of TV replay technology after “one of those horrible afternoons”.

“Maybe it’s time for technology. We knew, and I knew and [fourth official] Martin Atkinson knew within five seconds it was outside the box,” Bruce said. “It’s a real key decision for someone 80 yards away to overturn the referee. If something was going to go wrong it did.”

Liverpool were head and shoulders above Sunderland and after several near misses Suárez sealed victory when, following Kuyt’s quick throw, he slipped past Lee Cattermole on the bye-line before thumping a shot past Mignolet from the tightest of angles to cap an outstanding performance.

Liverpool’s Pepe Reina did not have a save to make until the 86th minute, when Cattermole tried his luck from distance. The display had Dalglish championing Jamie Carragher and Spearing’s England credentials. “They might try to call Carragher back the way he played today, or wee Jay Spearing,” he added.

In mitigation, Sunderland were deprived of Sulley Muntari and Kieran Richardson through injury early in this increasingly one-sided contest, and had Mensah sent off late on for a professional foul on the mercurial Suárez whose nascent partnership with Andy Carroll promises much. “They showed a lot of very encouraging signs,” Dalglish said. “There’s a lot of enjoyable viewing to come as those two get to know each other.”
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,689 posts | 6692 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #578: Mar 21, 2011 08:33:44 am
      Get the F**k in. Nice win lads.

Should of have been 5-0 at least  :D

Suarez left foot rocket brilliantly saved by their keeper only for Carroll to head back straight to him.

Spearing's left foot corker that was brilliantly saved again by their keeper and

Andy's bullet header that was saved by the defenders thigh on the line.

Great result away from home, so happy for the lads and us the fans after a dissapointing week and once agin well in to the travelling fans who I could hear right throughout.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #579: Mar 21, 2011 08:51:20 am
      Fathead Bruce was giving it plenty in the post match interview about the disputed penalty conveniently neglecting to say that it was justice after the beach ball nonesense last time not foregoing the fact that Sunderland were very lucky to have come away with just a two goal deficit it should have been 4 or 5.
      When Carroll and Suarez click the potential is unbelievable both last night were untouchable, happy days beckon.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #580: Mar 21, 2011 09:26:43 am
      reina made his first save, a simple catch, in the 86th minute...bruce can go f**k himself.
      kornwall02
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 97 posts |
      Reply #581: Mar 21, 2011 09:42:51 am
      I have to admit that I was worried in that first half. we couldnt seem to get going or get into our stride and they had great teritory and possession (albeit they created nothing really)
      our boys just seemed to have no running left in their legs, like raul and andy (even kuyt). but then it seemed as though the goal acted as one big energy boost and low and behold we then looked comfortable.
      its great that we can beat these teams and come through while not having the energy to truly overwhelm teams like we did against man "I hate" u.
      credit to the boys for the continued effort in that match to get the 3 points
      redprint
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 636 posts | 23 
      Reply #582: Mar 21, 2011 09:49:40 am
      reina made his first save, a simple catch, in the 86th minute...bruce can go f**k himself.
      to be fair to Bruce, he did say that despite the penalty decision, his team were outplayed and beaten by a much better team.
      redprint
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 636 posts | 23 
      Reply #583: Mar 21, 2011 09:52:46 am
      I have to admit that I was worried in that first half. we couldnt seem to get going or get into our stride and they had great teritory and possession (albeit they created nothing really)
      our boys just seemed to have no running left in their legs, like raul and andy (even kuyt). but then it seemed as though the goal acted as one big energy boost and low and behold we then looked comfortable.
      its great that we can beat these teams and come through while not having the energy to truly overwhelm teams like we did against man "I hate" u.
      credit to the boys for the continued effort in that match to get the 3 points
      Carrol is still not fully match fit.  Wednesday was his first start since December.  It takes about 4 or 5 games to get that sharpness back.  I thought he was impressive for someone who is clearly not up to full fitness yet, and he'll improve with every game he starts.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,487 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #584: Mar 21, 2011 10:11:20 am
      Spearing had his best game for me.

Can't help shake the feeling that something's not right with Pepe. He's got things on his mind I think
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #585: Mar 21, 2011 10:45:15 am
      Btw Aldridge said on Radio City that after the match Henry came out on to the Sunderland pitch and was looking at the Stadium and its structure, not sure if theres anything in that.. But yeh!
      kornwall02
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 97 posts |
      Reply #586: Mar 21, 2011 11:13:49 am
      Carrol is still not fully match fit.  Wednesday was his first start since December.  It takes about 4 or 5 games to get that sharpness back.  I thought he was impressive for someone who is clearly not up to full fitness yet, and he'll improve with every game he starts.

deffinatly....i totally agree. which is why he was one of the ones i said had no running left in his legs. still not quite there yet, but it will take a months worth of games to get him there.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #587: Mar 21, 2011 03:54:26 pm
      Henry had a veiled dig at Dalglish’s predecessor, Roy Hodgson, when asked if there had been a change in mood since his takeover. “Absolutely, it’s all very positive,” he added. “Someone was saying that people weren’t happy here. But I think since that person left, people are happier.”

Was he talking about Roy or "Judas"??

Doesn't matter anyway it was a great win and I'm confident about the future.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #588: Mar 21, 2011 04:00:40 pm
      Henry had a veiled dig at Dalglish’s predecessor, Roy Hodgson, when asked if there had been a change in mood since his takeover. “Absolutely, it’s all very positive,” he added. “Someone was saying that people weren’t happy here. But I think since that person left, people are happier.”

Saw that Debs - I wondered the same and decided it was Judas and his flapping gums!
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #589: Mar 21, 2011 04:00:53 pm

El bastardio apprently.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #590: Mar 21, 2011 04:05:07 pm
      Judas is how I read it too guys.  Typical journo's!

ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #591: Mar 21, 2011 04:10:02 pm
      to be fair to Bruce, he did say that despite the penalty decision, his team were outplayed and beaten by a much better team.

i missed that, fair enough if that's the case. only negative from the game was that miereles struggled out of position. i can see kenny wants to play two holding midfielders in an away game and support the front two with the wingers, but miereles is not a winger. he's too talented to be sitting the bench too. it's a bit of a headache (but a nice headache)
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #592: Mar 21, 2011 04:14:33 pm
      Judas is how I read it too guys.  Typical journo's!

I read it as Purslow.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #593: Mar 21, 2011 04:27:44 pm

Ooh! didn't think of that one Daz.

Just shows how many bad influences we've had to contend with this season mate.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #594: Mar 21, 2011 04:28:51 pm

Torres without doubt.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #595: Mar 21, 2011 06:36:23 pm
      Btw Aldridge said on Radio City that after the match Henry came out on to the Sunderland pitch and was looking at the Stadium and its structure, not sure if theres anything in that.. But yeh!
      sounds good ,probably getting some ideas ,i read he was impressed with the way the stadium conducted the sound of the supporters.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #596: Mar 21, 2011 07:29:58 pm
      Debatable penalty. Yeah fine, but it was very similar to the one Reading got against us a few years back. The foul took place outside the box but because the ball was inside the box they said it was a brilliant call by the ref and was a penalty. Now its the other way round and its us getting that call they say it's wrong! If it is wrong then it makes up for the damn beach ball so i do not expect to here any Sunderland fans, players or anyone related to that club complaining. They were sh*t anyway ;)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #597: Mar 21, 2011 08:28:58 pm
      Two words for that penalty:

Beach ball.

Now F**k off, fat head.

Quick Reply