Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Matt Jarvis (Wolves)

Read 10975 times
      *LFC 4EVA*
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 805 posts |
      • *LFC 4LIFE*
      Matt Jarvis (Wolves)
      Mar 22, 2011 02:56:29 pm
      Jarvis on Reds' radar
      22nd Mar 2011 - Transfer Gossip  
      12 CommentsEmailPrintShare ArchiveLFC To Go

Liverpool and Newcastle scouts are expected to take a keen interest in England's newest squad member Matt Jarvis when he pushes for a place in the Euro 2012 qualifier with Wales this weekend.

Liverpool scout Jakob Friis-Hansen will be watching should Jarvis get any amount of game time, with Reds manager Kenny Dalglish notably looking for a winger to provide crosses to key front-man Andy Carroll.

The qualifier with Wales is an ideal time to see if the Jarvis-Carroll supply partnership could work, and with England boss Fabio Capello strongly supporting both the Wolves winger and Carroll, their quest for further glory looks imminent.

Jarvis' pace and delivery has been outstanding so far this season and he ranks amongst the Premier Leagues top 10 for key passes in a match.

The 24-year-old creates plenty chances and also ranks second in the league for crosses into the area behind Aston Villa's Stewart Downing.

Plush with transfer funds, Newcastle pose the biggest threat to Liverpool's chances of singing Jarvis, who in 2007 was worth just £600,000.

Source: Metro.co.uk

This story has been reproduced from today's media. It does not necessarily represent the position of Liverpool Football Club.

Author: Metro

yes please I think he is quality
      « Last Edit: Mar 22, 2011 02:58:35 pm by paulrobbo »
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: Matt Jarvis (Wolves)
      Reply #1: Mar 22, 2011 02:59:32 pm
      To be honest reminds me a bit of Pennant when he was with Birmingham
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2: Mar 22, 2011 03:02:10 pm
      Nothing wrong with a little squad depth. I'd take him in for the right price. Bonus that he's English.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #3: Mar 22, 2011 03:06:20 pm
      To be honest reminds me a bit of Pennant when he was with Birmingham

Maybe, I think he has better ball control than Pennant and a better delivery, though not quite as quick. Has a far better weak foot as well.

I wouldn't mind the signing, but I hope we can do better.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #4: Mar 22, 2011 03:20:37 pm
      I actually think they had similar delivery, think we should be aiming for better, this is the funny season, the media is guessing who we want
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #5: Mar 22, 2011 03:24:19 pm
      Pennant was great, problem was his attitude.  If Jarvis has got his in check, can't see how he wouldn't be a great addition to the squad.  In the words of that illustrious wheeling and dealing bellend, "I'd love to 'ave 'im at the club".
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #6: Mar 22, 2011 03:33:56 pm
      Not for me, decent player though, be interesting to see can he keep it up next season
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #7: Mar 22, 2011 05:21:07 pm
      Always liked him. Have been waiting for us to be linked with him!

Would be a great squad winger, but not a first choice one. Depends how much we could get him for. Would prefer him over Jeffren if it's for the same price.

We need depth, and he'd provide it.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #8: Mar 22, 2011 05:22:18 pm
      We need first 11 wide men rather than squad players, don't think Jarvis or Jeffren are the answer
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #9: Mar 22, 2011 05:23:28 pm
      We need first 11 wide men rather than squad players, don't think Jarvis or Jeffren are the answer

We'll still need squad players regardless. Can't just have two first class wingers with no back up.
      Iano92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 958 posts |
      Reply #10: Mar 22, 2011 05:29:34 pm
      We'll still need squad players regardless. Can't just have two first class wingers with no back up.

Players like Jarvis, N'Zogbia, etc have a buffer, that allows them to play inconsistent as they are playing in a poor team. Bring either of them here and they will struggle to make any impact as they will have a lot more scrutiny based on them. There is no point whatsoever buying width for the sake of it.
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #11: Mar 22, 2011 05:33:01 pm
      Really like this lad. Have been shouting for him for some time. Not flashy but he does a job - and does it very well. He'd find Carroll's head often.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #12: Mar 22, 2011 05:40:16 pm
      I also like him, but I just feel that the media hype, and the international call up will sky rocket his price similar to that of Andy Carroll.

Any more than £10M then I'd pass.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #13: Mar 22, 2011 05:41:58 pm
      I also like him, but I just feel that the media hype, and the international call up will sky rocket his price similar to that of Andy Carroll.

Any more than £10M then I'd pass.

Yeah, I can agree with that. Won't be as much as we paid for Carroll but before his call up he was going to be sold for under 10m, now it's probably over. If that's the case, I might pass me self even though I really like the lad.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #14: Mar 22, 2011 06:59:50 pm
      Remember he terrorised Carra when we played them last season. Since then he's been great.

To add depth maybe, but should be aiming higher for the first team.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,867 posts | 165 
      Reply #15: Mar 22, 2011 09:22:02 pm
      Bet his value has gone up, now he's in England squad.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #16: Mar 22, 2011 10:41:48 pm
      Nothing more than 10m and I'd take him. We do need back up players as well as a few first XI's.
      Cuttsy888
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 295 posts |
      Reply #17: Mar 23, 2011 05:35:22 am
      Ive watched every wolves match this year as my dad goes for him and he has all the attributes to be a star. Plays on the left wing with a right foot can go ether way but his crossing is average. However it might just be wolves have no body in the box.
      Id take him has he is an improvement of all the wingers we have here ATM. I hate it when you winge that he is only a squad player. Maxi is so much worse and he starts every match!!!
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #18: Mar 23, 2011 02:15:42 pm
      Always liked him. Have been waiting for us to be linked with him!

Would be a great squad winger, but not a first choice one. Depends how much we could get him for. Would prefer him over Jeffren if it's for the same price.

We need depth, and he'd provide it.
      Exactly mate. Have always liked this lad. He's better than all "wingers" we've got at the moment and I think he'll be very good coming from the bench when needed to freshen things up and a good understudy to Ashley Young  ;). Plus he's English and homegrown.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #19: Mar 23, 2011 02:52:21 pm
      Much better prospects being linked to us
      Carroll9
      • Banned

• 324 posts |
      Reply #20: Mar 23, 2011 04:09:09 pm
      Much better prospects being linked to us

This.

I doubt we will be making massive strides to challenge for 4th/the league by signing players like Jarvis.

Good player, just not sure if he's the standard we need or require. 
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #21: Mar 23, 2011 04:41:21 pm
      Is this another classic case of being over-hyped because of his nationality and because of the standard of club he si currently at?

As corbally said, there are better players available that would cost the same amount.
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #22: Mar 23, 2011 05:16:13 pm
      I guess I'm one of the only ones on here who really likes this kid.  It's not easy to thrive in a team like Wolves where you get very little support in attack, but for the last two years he has been consistently playing well for one of the weakest teams in England.  He is certainly not the best player on the market, but for a reasonable price he could prove to be a very shrewd purchase.  He works hard for his teammates, is relatively quick/fast, has a good delivery, and has proven he can play in the Prem.  I would certainly prefer him on the wing over any of our current options (Cole/Kuyt/Jova/Maxi), and if we get him in for a reasonable price we may actually be able to afford a marquee signing like Sanchez or Hazard!

Quick Reply