Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea)

Read 8545 times
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Re: Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea)
      Reply #46: Jun 14, 2011 05:38:14 pm
      Like we can complain about the price being too expensive after what we asked from Chelsea :lmao:

If I were Abramovich, I'd be setting the price even higher just to spite the bas**rds that took £50m from me, then again I'd probably do all sorts of other crazy things like letting my manager make his own signings.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #47: Jun 14, 2011 05:39:41 pm
      He will want to play more than what I want to see us offer him so no

oh plus hes blue scum
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #48: Jun 14, 2011 05:40:16 pm
      Like we can complain about the price being too expensive after what we asked from Chelsea :lmao:

If I were Abramovich, I'd be setting the price even higher just to spite the bas**rds that took £50m from me, then again I'd probably do all sorts of other crazy things like letting my manager make his own signings.

I know it's a bit cheeky mate but I'm just thinking back. Mind you if we'd done the deal at 40 mill plus Sturridge counted as 10, we'd have been up in court for daylight robbery. As it is we took the piss even at what we did get.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #49: Jun 14, 2011 05:45:14 pm

I know it's a bit cheeky mate but I'm just thinking back. Mind you if we'd done the deal at 40 mill plus Sturridge counted as 10, we'd have been up in court for daylight robbery. As it is we took the piss even at what we did get.

I'd prefer less cash + player rather than larger amount of money.  Newcastle knew full well we had £50m in the kitty, they might have let Carroll go for £25m or £30m if they knew we only got £40m cash from the sale.

Did we not accept a deal involving Sturridge but he rejected us or was that another player I'm thinking of.  No question we got the better deal, any which way you want to spin it - if it was £40m + Sturridge or £50m straight cash, we won.

Didn't Sturridge only really hit the ground running after that deal was completed though?  He left for Bolton last day of the window, didn't he?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #50: Jun 14, 2011 05:48:48 pm
      Didn't Sturridge only really hit the ground running after that deal was completed though?  He left for Bolton last day of the window, didn't he?

Yes there was only really Owen Coyle who was madly keen on him, most of the Chelsea fans were underwhelmed by what they'd seen. Once he got there though he did really well and looked like a good player.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #51: Jun 14, 2011 06:02:34 pm
      Yes there was only really Owen Coyle who was madly keen on him, most of the Chelsea fans were underwhelmed by what they'd seen. Once he got there though he did really well and looked like a good player.

I actually think N'Gog could have been similar but we were in an unfortunate position at the time because he had 18 months left on his contract and a bit of a striker shortage.

I can't help but shake the feeling that Sturridge's form has been a little bit reactionary to the whole Torres transfer saga.  I reckon, next year will be his defining year and we'll get a clear picture of where he stands either at Chelsea or wherever he ends up.  If he keeps that sort of form going, we would have obviously missed the boat.
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #52: Jun 14, 2011 06:04:36 pm
      We should've told Chelsea £45million and Daniel Sturridge for the the Iberian Prancer. I bet they would've agreed to it.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #53: Jun 14, 2011 06:06:50 pm
      £20 million is at  least twice the value this lad should have on him but then the big factor he is English
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #54: Jun 14, 2011 06:07:52 pm
      Well i dont think anyone can knock the lads form since bolton took him on loan,he seems to have blossomed with owen coyles guidance,and some of that big time charlie attitude seems to have gone aswell.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #55: Jun 14, 2011 06:15:21 pm
      I'm pretty sure Chelsea offered us Sturridge as a part exchange but for whatever reason it was rejected (I don't know if Sturridge rejected us or if we rejected the chance to sign him - IIRC, he was on quite substantial wages for a player effectively similar to what N'Gog was for us and his wages were astronomically higher, guessing we probably didn't want any part of that - £60k a week maybe?).

edit: Credit to the lad for doing what he's done at Bolton, will be an interesting year for him next year.  We'll surely get a clearer picture if we missed the boat or not.  The more I think about it, I not convinced we did miss the boat but time will tell.
      Scottbot

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #56: Jun 14, 2011 06:19:22 pm
      in hindsight it looks like we dropped the ball on Sturridge. Who knows the genuine numbers but i'm pretty sure most reports had him potentially involved in the Torres deal for around the £5 million mark. I very much doubt we'll be back in for the lad now that his value has apparently quadrupled! Having said that, I reckon he'll still struggle to get a regular game at Chelsea and i wouldn't be surprised to see him sold to someone like Villa for £10-12 mill come the start of the season.
      PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Reply #57: Jun 14, 2011 06:20:45 pm
      Personally, he's massively overated, don't see him making it for a champions league club
      Scottbot

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #58: Jun 14, 2011 06:30:30 pm
      Personally, he's massively overated, don't see him making it for a champions league club

he's young, he's English and he's just had half a decent season, course he's overated!!!
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #59: Jun 14, 2011 06:32:57 pm

Yeah that's why he succeeded with Bolton.

He has talent but I would rather have Wickham tbh.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,202 posts | 2799 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #60: Jun 14, 2011 06:33:14 pm
      Rather Wickham at 10 million

Oh and Tottenham  :lmao:
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #61: Jun 14, 2011 07:35:58 pm
      Its a shame he is stuck at Chelsea, I think he could be quite a good player. It is hard to tell if he could cut it at a big club but he did extremely well at Bolton in the second half of the season with them.

Quick Reply