Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Jonas Gutierrez (Newcastle)

Read 2623 times
      anfieldroad
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 582 posts | 18 
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Re: Jonas Gutierrez (Newcastle)
      Reply #1: Jun 15, 2011 11:58:47 pm
      Hahaha he is sh*te and caughtoffside equals ridiculous site!

Lock this up!
      anfieldroad
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 582 posts | 18 
      Reply #2: Jun 16, 2011 12:09:21 am
      F***ing laughable being linked with him
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #3: Jun 16, 2011 12:09:39 am
      :lmao:
      jonnylfc88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 265 posts |
      Reply #4: Jun 16, 2011 12:10:48 am
      ......... :/
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #5: Jun 16, 2011 12:13:05 am
      caughtoffside caught making stuff up again.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #6: Jun 16, 2011 12:14:15 am
      I love this type of journalism.  The one Newcastle player we haven't been linked in the last two windows was the only one we actually bought. It's like left backs and Liverpool.  The president of one club somewhere in the world has said his LB would be open to offers possibly from the Premier League and before thinking about it somewhat logically one of aloadofw**k/goal/caughtoffside's writers has quickly throw Liverpool's name and posted it online.

To be fair, Gutierrez isn't that bad.  It's only the "journalism" that is.

edit: Let me make that clear, I don't believe we should make a move for him, but it's not as if it's so unrealistic that it could never happen.  He'd be a half-decent squad option at a knockdown price, but we don't really need more squad options nor would he come at a low price.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #7: Jun 16, 2011 12:14:31 am
      Would be a brilliant signing.

Ok you got me, I am taking the piss.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #8: Jun 16, 2011 12:14:54 am
      If this happens ill  :f_wah:
      RedsTillIDie
      • Banned

• 127 posts |
      • Open my veins I'm red to the core
      Reply #9: Jun 16, 2011 12:16:08 am
      Worst possible source this should be locked
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #10: Jun 16, 2011 12:18:15 am
      Bad source. Bad signing.
      redsnake
      • Banned

• 128 posts |
      Reply #11: Jun 16, 2011 01:37:52 pm
      better than Mata and sanchez put together!
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #12: Jun 16, 2011 01:45:04 pm
      The Jonas Gutierrez story by Chris Bascombe

Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

20th May 2003 - Latest News

LFC To Go

Chris Bascombe wonders when Argentinian youngster Jonas Gutierrez is going to stop making noises about a possible transfer to Liverpool in the summer...

Liverpool's sponsors Carlsberg have a perceptive and amusing advert doing the rounds at the moment.

It charts the meteoric raise of a mediocre footballer. In one shot you see him mis-kick in front of an open goal for a Sunday league team. In the next, newspaper headlines are proclaiming him the greatest player since Pele and he's about to sign for the European Champions (it's a bit like the Neil Webb story 15 years too late).

The slogan at the end acclaims 'probably the best football agent in the world'.

The advertisers may be aware just how close to reality this tale is, especially if they have knowledge of the case of Argentinian 'wonderkid' and Planet Football columnist Jonas Gutierrez.

Gutierrez, you may recall, spent a few days on trial at Liverpool recently. It would have been a week but the Reds thought two days was more than enough.

In the course of his spell in England, Jonas managed to build an entire career. Depending on what you read, he was going to put his love for Everton to one side, sign for Liverpool, become the next Ryan Giggs and solve Houllier's width problems before moving to Real Madrid. All this thanks to a few training sessions in a pair of white boots

You may have thought this sounded too good to be true. You'd be right.

Even his arrival was heralded far too excitedly. One Sunday paper had laughingly described the player as 'Gerard Houllier's first big summer signing'.

Had it not been for the player's agent - and the fact he signed more autographs in a day than Michael Owen does in a year - Gutierrez would have flown in an out without anyone noticing he'd been here, just like the other half dozen or so triallists who pass through the Melwood gates each season.

Unfortunately, the unnecessary excitement surrounding the Argentinian made Mr Nobody from Nowhere a potential superstar for a week.

Triallists are hardly worth such attention. In some cases, the coaching staff haven't even heard of the players'. They agree to look at them out of courtesy because their representative is pushy enough, works for someone else who the club could be interested in at a later date, or are even prepared to pay a ludicrous amount of cash just to

have their man have the experience of training with the first team.

In the Gutierrez case, the last option explained his presence on Merseyside. His agent paid for the privilege. Houllier had no intention of signing the lad unless he could prove he was some kind of South American phenomenon. He wasn't.

That didn't stop the campaign to get him noticed going into overdrive with a series of 'interviews' appearing from the same sources which gave Gutierrez far more credibility than he deserved.

"I'm a bit like Ryan Giggs," was the first gem. To be fair, maybe something was lost in translation. What Jonas probably really said was: "I flew here on Ryan Air."

If that wasn't enough, this was followed with..."It will be funny playing for Liverpool because I'm an Everton fan." As own goals go, it was the biggest since I decided to take that mini-break in Baghdad last January. Had our white-booted, floppy fringed Argentinian friend finished? Not yet. "I want to play in Spain but England will do for now."

We're honoured by your presence Jonas. Liverpool will be delighted to be your 'stepping stone' to Madrid. If he was that good, why did he need a trial?

As it turned out, Jonas was 'no Maradona', as one observer close to the action put it. Liverpool didn't want him. When the wonderkid was told not to come back for his last day's training, the PR machine needed re-oiling.

Speaking on his behalf, Jonas' agent informed the nearest website: "Liverpool were impressed but they need someone to go straight into the team."

That's one way of putting it. Another would be 'he wasn't even as good as some of the kids playing on Stanley Park and we told him it wasn't worth him coming back tomorrow'.

Then the newspaper which claimed he would be the first summer signing needed to backtrack. "Houllier has suffered a major blow because Gutierrez was not as good as he thought he was," claimed the story.

Wrong! Gutierrez wasn't the player he thought he was. He left and we thought that was the end of it. The 15 minutes of fame had expired.

Until...yes. Jonas was at it again this week. It seems he hasn't given up on his dream move to Spain (via a few years in Liverpool). "I would like very much the chance to play for Liverpool. I was satisfied with what I did. I gave the best of myself. Now I only have to wait and see what happens. If something will be done, it will happen in June," he said.

Can this lad take a hint or what?

Listen Jonas, or your agent, or your contact at Planet Football, can you get the message? It ain't gonna happen. Please stop.

The case of Jonas Gutierrez is proof the truth isn't always as strange as the fiction - but sometimes it's funnier.

Please note this is an old article from the Echo..... well before Bascombe joined the NOTW.
      Kop_it
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 373 posts | 13 
      Reply #13: Jun 16, 2011 02:29:07 pm
      ...And a week later we end up signing him :lmao:
      The Last King of Scotland
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #14: Jun 16, 2011 02:36:56 pm
      I quite like Gutierrez. He's a lot like Kuyt in his work rate and tackling and he's quite tidy on the ball.
      uncleRico
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 287 posts |
      Reply #15: Jun 16, 2011 03:17:29 pm
      Would be a decent squad player, nowhere near first 11 though.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #16: Jun 16, 2011 03:20:39 pm
      The Jonas Gutierrez story by Chris Bascombe

Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

"I'm a bit like Ryan Giggs," was the first gem.

What, he's been ploughing his brother's wife as well?

Quick Reply