Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Music That Defined You Growing Up

Read 5082 times
      Brooklyn Red
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Re: Music That Defined You Growing Up
      Reply #23: Mar 17, 2011 11:49:59 am
      Growing up I often had the sound of Celtic folk music entering my ears...

Yeah, when I was a child my mother always had music on. If it wasn't traditional Irish, it was the showbands (who we always used to go see, too). There was also a good amount of old country music and AM radio fare (think Reservoir Dogs soundtrack).

My father generally just listened to whatever my mother had on, but he was also into doo-wop.

I guess I should have put this into my original post as my mother's tastes definitely affected me. I'm still crazy for Irish (not so much the showbands) and old country music.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #24: Mar 17, 2011 01:21:03 pm
      Brilliant thread this! Can't believe I missed this before. Very interesting read aswell.

My mother loved soul music. Sam Cooke, Sam & Dave, Marvin Gaye etc. But my favourite by far was Otis Redding, what a voice. Still absolutely love his music. My father listened to old rock mostly, The Who, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones.

Know exactly where you are coming from, my mum was exactly the same into a lot of soul and Motown music. Definitely picked up a liking for Queen and Ultravox from my dad as well as the occasional Genesis song too!

The only band my dad was into I couldn't stand was Yes, my younger brother got more into them, even went to see them live with my dad and my uncle.  

Really started liking the likes of Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin as I got older, even got an appreciation for Nirvana now, although I hated them when as at school.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #25: Mar 17, 2011 01:54:42 pm
      Being a mod in my teens it was Wilson Picket,Sam & Dave,Aretha Franklin,Marvyn Gaye,Joe Tex,Percy Sledge,The Temptations and of course The Small Faces and the Kinks who I saw in a college concert with Long John Baldry there were so many but the top man,the ultimate soul man was Otis Redding-I was devo'd when he tragically died.
      In the late teen period it was Jimi Hendrix,Led Zep,Floyd,Fleetwood mac-the early years.
      Know what you're saying HR about Yes some people thought they were ultra cool ??? Used to bore me shitless.

« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2011 02:04:10 pm by stuey »
      bradders
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts |
      • since I was knee high to a grasshopper!
      Reply #26: Mar 18, 2011 04:35:34 am
      My dad loves his music (I take after him) and I was introduced to the works of Elvis, The Everly Brothers, Dusty Springfield, the original Fleetwood Mac and the Doors.  Later on I developed a liking for Bay City Rollers, Donny Osmond, Queen, Blondie, Gary Numan, Bruce Springsteen and U2.  I'm very proud of the fact that I got my dad interested in U2  :laugh:  I still listen to their stuff as well as Peter Green and the Splinter group, Eva Cassidy, Jamie Cullum, Scissor Sisters, Manic Street Preachers, Katie Melua, Guns 'n' roses, Cheap Trick, Michael Jackson etc.  Oh and who can forget Liverpool FC's Anfield Rap ? :lmao: :couch:
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #27: Mar 19, 2011 04:37:26 am
      My dad was way in to Pink Floyd growing up, and so was I. Collera and My early mid 20s have been all about The Smiths, The Cure, New Order, and the Psychedelic Furs.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #28: Mar 19, 2011 09:43:55 pm
      « Last Edit: Mar 20, 2011 05:53:46 pm by stuey »
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #29: Mar 24, 2011 11:49:45 pm
      Couldn't name any group as such but, the late great John Peel really influenced what I listened to when growing up and as such, many styles of music from far and wide, were listened to by myself while growing up. Something which continues to this day.

I have so much to thank that guy for as, I always loved music for as long as I can remember but, without his radio show, I would probably never have heard of half of the music I did.

Quick Reply