Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

What makes a Red a Red.

Read 3210 times
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      What makes a Red a Red.
      Mar 21, 2011 08:23:47 pm
      What makes a Red a Red? Are some Reds more Red than others? Are all Reds considered equal, or are some Reds just more equal than the rest?
      Since the tumultuous reign of Hicks & Gillett ended the managerial career of Rafa Benitez; oversaw the rise to prominence of Christian Purslow and introduced a period in Liverpool history where every tabloid appeared to have free access to source inside scoop after inside scoop; there has been an ever increasing regularity to the "you are not a real Red" denouncement, "I'm more Red than thou!"
      And so, again, I feel this urge to ask the question, "what makes a Red a Red?"

You see, for me being a Red is a case of identity - not a simple concept at the best of times, but when speaking of the club I love, the club I know you love, it is best described, for me, as a sense of empathy.

If you want to cry when we lose and cheer when we score; you, to me, are a Red. When the outcome of your day can be defined by LFC's results on the pitch; you, in my mind, are a Red. When you seek out the company of other Reds for a sense of camaraderie, of belonging; surely, you are a bona-fide Red.

So how are you more Red than I, or I more Red than you; when we support the same team and our emotions crest and fall to the same highs and lows? And, perhaps, more importantly - why would I even want to make you feel as though you were any less of a Red?

Is there a hierarchy that we have not been made aware of; one based on memories, experiences or the number of games we attend? Is geography a consideration; does Red fade with distance, the way quality on a long distance call can sometimes degrade? Perhaps there is a test to be passed at induction; where rank will be assigned based on the players you can name and the era in which they played.
      If so, I didn't get that memo - and if I had, I think I would have sent it back unread.

You see, you could make the argument that distance makes the heart grow fonder; that it takes more dedication to be an overseas Red. One could put forward the view that tales of past endeavours, handed down through the generations create the mystique that results in a more awe-inspired younger Red.

When we speak of those who would make disheartening and taunting comments about Munich, we all can agree those are disillusioned and disappointing Reds. If you are asked why we do not buy the Sun and despise Kelvin MacKenzie by a Liverpool supporter, we know we have found an uninformed Red.

However, whilst we may react to the disappointing sect with contempt, confusion or derision; should we really attempt to disown and cast them out? When you find yourself explaining the Sun's role in desecrating the memories of Hillsborough, do we honestly think it is right to displace our anger onto those Reds that did not know?

Instead, are these not opportunities for education, enlightenment - to teach and help them find out, learn what is wrong and how Reds should conduct themselves? Does Liverpool FC not deserve our dedicated efforts to support and guide each other - surely that is what being a better Red should really be about?

We all probably have members of our own families that disappoint that leave the path of the straight and narrow or do so many different things that just serve to confound us. We have those members of the family who always ask questions; because they just didn't realise something or perhaps just want to know. But they remain members of the family, whether they are ignored, loved or never spoken about. They are linked to us genetically - part of our DNA regardless.

Because, as Shankly first taught us, and as his walking heir Dalglish is trying to remind us - we are all custodians of the fine traditions of this club, it does not belong to any one of us and we are strongest when we are united. So I ask again - why would we want to leave anyone feeling left out?

So when we interact with each other, perhaps it is time we remember - being a Red is about being that custodian, about linking the present and future to the past. We are all supposed to guide and support the newer and older supporters alike; lend a helping hand, be on hand to provide an answer or an informative fact. This is Liverpool FC, we have at times been proclaimed as the worlds greatest football fans. So should we not, perhaps, have a better idea than others of how we are meant to act?
      Remember - This is The Liverpool Way and no Red should ever be made to feel they walk alone.

Just a little Article i found good read.
      « Last Edit: Mar 21, 2011 08:35:02 pm by MsGerrard, Reason: Put it into paragraphs, making it easier to read. »
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Re: What makes a Red a Red.
      Reply #1: Mar 21, 2011 08:27:49 pm
      Can you put a link up to the article please? 

There are a few Topics already covering this, so this may well get locked.  Plenty to discuss, but plenty to start bickering about ie. OOT's etc.

Need to check first though.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2765 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #2: Mar 21, 2011 08:28:56 pm
      Paragraphs would be nice
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #3: Mar 21, 2011 08:33:00 pm
      Can you put a link up to the article please? 

There are a few Topics already covering this, so this may well get locked.  Plenty to discuss, but plenty to start bickering about ie. OOT's etc.

Need to check first though.

Sorry Smigger just took it of this site

http://www.liverpool-rumours.co.uk/
      poolio_54
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 376 posts | 11 
      Reply #4: Mar 21, 2011 10:06:45 pm
      For me a true red isn't just a supporter its someone who gets what the club stands for and that we are more than just a football club. If you understand and and feel the same way,  whether your from Liverpool or Timbuktu You'll Never Walk Alone
      Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #5: Mar 21, 2011 10:48:29 pm
      Among the supporters feeling ignored, left out and walking alone, you now know someone. Great article. I hope some will start changing their attitudes after reading this.
      SpionKop88
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 11 
      • We see things they'll NEVER see!!!
      Reply #6: Mar 21, 2011 10:59:06 pm
      Good article that, just shows that we are all one big family and look out for other Reds.

YNWA
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2765 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #7: Mar 22, 2011 08:37:57 am
      Be easier to say what "reds" arent proper reds

Those who continue to read the s*n. How any red doesn't know the score there is beyond me

Those who manage to get to a game and then sit there talking, taking photos, buy halfy half Liverpool/utd Liverpool/Everton scarves

Those who gladly pis* and moan at every little thing but aren't vocal in a positive manner at any point

The ooters who arrive on a jolly up with jester hats, scouse wigs etc telling everyone to calm down calm down

More then 1 thing makes a red a proper red
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #8: Mar 22, 2011 05:37:57 pm
      Great little read.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #9: Apr 02, 2011 09:25:29 am
       What makes a RED a RED,it is sticking with the club through the bad times as well as the good times,it is easy for some people to jump on the bandwagon when things are going well and it is easier for them to jump off when things go bad.Those that choose to jump on and off will never be true REDS in my opinion.I realise things have changed a lot in the game over the years in as much as we do not seem to have player loyalty these days due to contractual arrangements but that should not stop true REDS  being loyal to the club.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #10: Apr 02, 2011 11:39:41 pm
      I definitely think if Liverpool losing a game is a sure way of making you depressed, you clearly have your heart and mind in the club, and are a real Red!
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,126 posts | 1277 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #11: Apr 04, 2011 09:31:59 pm
      Heart. As simple as that.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #12: Apr 05, 2011 04:43:34 am
      being a decent human. understanding, remorse, the ability to put yourself in anothers shoes. patience. the signs of a red in my opinion. someone who encourages all to love the club and not to have petty hates for players or decisions or fans that act differently to you. someone that leads by example, someone like shankly.

Quick Reply