Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Skrtel
      (33%)
      Wilson
      (6.1%)
      Suarez
      (16.5%)
      Carroll
      (0.9%)
      Reina
      (37.4%)
      Somebody else
      (6.1%)

West Brom 2-1 Liverpool - post match fury

Read 42508 times
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Re: West Brom 2-1 Liverpool - post match fury
      Reply #736: Apr 03, 2011 01:14:43 pm
      It always has been a problem for Liverpool either it Rafa, Hodgson or Kenny;our generousity when it comes to relegation battle teams.

Maybe fatigue could be a factor as most of our players were in friendlies or qualifying but not West Brom's. they did have enough rest. A just maybe opinion but it didn't hide the fact that we couldn't cope with their great pace and tremendous speed play. Our midfield were easily overrun and dominated. The fact that we didn't have a good and proper playmaker when Gerrard didn't play did hurt us badly. Plus yesterday's game proved to us one thing;we played according to who our targetman was. Remember when Carroll didn't play? We played absolutely good attacking play with harmonious flow of movement but entered Carroll suddenly all hoof,hoof,hoof.

Our midfield sat way back when attacking and defending. There's hardly any Liverpool players reacting to any rebound balls.It's all West Brom's. Kenny's tactic was good but at least he should try to assimilate Rafa's tactical approach;push the defensive line upwards near the midfield area. It's just a suggestion but I think it can be achievable as they constrict the opponent's ability to play any good passings.

There's still hope but they have to stay mentally strong and physically great and we have to do what we do best;Cheer!

This maybe a bit too old but...
      http://www.thisisanfield.com/2010/10/the-new-submissive-liverpool-fc-under-roy-hodgson/
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #737: Apr 03, 2011 01:28:40 pm
      Dunno if anyone noticed but everytime Agger doesn't play at the back we allways go back to hoofing the ball up from the back. Reason is that Soto, Carra and Skitles panic with the ball at his feet !

We need good ball players at the back.

albertared
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts | 11 
      Reply #738: Apr 03, 2011 01:36:30 pm
      The team we had out today may not have been our strongest team, but everyone of our players are stonger than those of West Brom. It's clear that there is a problem with the players attitudes when up against "weaker teams "
      The players seem to find it hard to raise themselves for these games, I don't understand why playing for Liverpool in the premier league isn't enough to get these guys motivated, regardles of the opposition.

I completely agree. It has been like this for years. Our squad needs a complete overhaul to clear out the "attitude" issues. To be honest I think Gerrard is a big part of the problem. I know it is shocking to say so but I think we should have sold him years ago.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #739: Apr 03, 2011 01:37:35 pm
      Width width width width width.

If you don't have it, you can be pretty easy to defend. Example, our game vs Chelsea.

We don't have any. Don't think Suarez and Carroll are quite on the same wavelength just yet. Hopefully that'll come.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #740: Apr 03, 2011 02:19:14 pm
      If you have a centre midfield pairing of Lucas and Spearing as well you'll have a massive problem no matter who you have wide
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #741: Apr 03, 2011 02:28:40 pm
      Dunno if anyone noticed but everytime Agger doesn't play at the back we allways go back to hoofing the ball up from the back. Reason is that Soto, Carra and Skitles panic with the ball at his feet !

We need good ball players at the back.

Skrtel doesn't just hoof, look at his chalkboard, some long balls but most are not
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #742: Apr 03, 2011 02:30:33 pm
      I think the biggest hoofers are Carra and Wilson. I think Skrtel generally looks for someone with a long ball.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #743: Apr 03, 2011 02:32:58 pm
      I'm not even bothered about the result to be honest, I just keep telling myself this season if the lingering remenants of the H&G and Purslow era and that things will be better next season.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #744: Apr 03, 2011 02:43:41 pm
      If you have a centre midfield pairing of Lucas and Spearing as well you'll have a massive problem no matter who you have wide

But if you've got no wingers & that central pairing, you're truly fu**ed. As hard as it is to say for some, Lucas' defensive role yesterday, in the second half, sweeping up in front of the back four was superb (apart from one mishit clearance).  Both he & Spearing dropped deeper as soon as Kyrgiakos came on the pitch, because Skrtel & Sotis aren't known for their pace.  He made 4-5 great interceptions around the age of the box, a great tackle in the box and shepherded the opposition into less dangerous areas, for others to tackle.  Offered nothing in the first half or going forward, during the whole game, whatsoever, but did stuff people used to praise the sh*t out of Mascherano for in the second half.

Carragher offered little at right back, no aid for the depressingly poor Kuyt, and I don't remember anything apart from one block.  Wilson did the defensive side of his job adequately enough, but his distribution was abysmal, gave it away far too easily, far too often.  Skrtel is starting to look like the pre-injury Skrtel, not the shirt-tugging, foul making liability he was earlier in the season, whereas Sotis is just a liability.  Spearing was woeful, didn't offer anything all game, not even the dynamism that won him plaudits, from some corners, in the previous game. Was Miereles on the pitch, largely anonymous for me and fairly wasteful in possession, though I will cut him some slack, he was out of position and definitely looked it.

Suarez impressed again, when he actually got the ball, but Carroll was bullied out of it and I hate to say, at times, looked disinterested and sulky.  

All in all though, this game was like an instant shot of Karma, we saw how losing two players disrupted Sunderland and today we were on the receiving end and coped as well as Sunderland did.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #745: Apr 03, 2011 02:47:39 pm
      Nothing superb about Lucas performannce yesterday and it is indicitive that people have come to accept average performances like that from Liverpool midfielders.

I was Xabi and Mascherano biggest fan on here so I'm not going to buy I can't see Lucas qualities
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 760 posts | 38 
      Reply #746: Apr 03, 2011 02:57:29 pm
      Disappointed, thats all i have to say.!!!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #747: Apr 03, 2011 03:05:46 pm
      Nothing superb about Lucas performannce yesterday and it is indicitive that people have come to accept average performances like that from Liverpool midfielders.

I was Xabi and Mascherano biggest fan on here so I'm not going to buy I can't see Lucas qualities

But second half, in the defensive aspects he was, clearances, interceptions etc, I didn't say overall play, but to say he didn't do the defensive aspects of his job is completely misguided.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #748: Apr 03, 2011 03:34:14 pm

Just watched this again. It's unbelievable, SG has had so many brilliant moments. And I remember others not there (I though this was one of his best games - Liverpool Vs Newcastle).
      Didn't see the match, or the highlights yet, but can imagine how it went, last 2 years have hardened the old senses :(
      The SG videos are great to watch, but show how far SG is ahead of the rest of the midfielders. Raul could be pretty decent if played in position, and the others will chip in with some good games, but if you cobbled together highlights from the whole lot of them, you wouldn't make a vid half as good as SG on his own.
      Midfield is were KK needs to work on first in the summer. We need to somehow sign quality guys for the middle of the park, and wings. Suarez and Carroll are good players. Agger, Johnson, Carra, Skyrtel could be solid, though need to find some way to keep Agger fit. But a midfield with Lucas, Spearing, Shelvy, Maxi, Cole is not good enough for top4 given the way other teams have got stronger.
      Was a bit of a kick in the nuts yesterday, with the old chin rubber gettin one over on us. Big setback for this seasons run in. Think subconciously a lot of people (including some of the players by the look of it) already have their one eye on next season.
      At least we're not tearing our hair out in a relegation shitfest, gottas thank KK for that. If we'd stuck with Roy, God knows what kind of mess we'd be in. Its been a mad year.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #749: Apr 03, 2011 07:29:35 pm

His sweeping up was superb, if you deny that then I can't see why.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #750: Apr 03, 2011 07:31:34 pm
      Sweeping up what, was he playing sweeper, did he start any attacks, i'm not talking about assists.

Liverpool fans have come to accept mediocrity, i personally blame Hicks and Gillette for this
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #751: Apr 03, 2011 07:53:59 pm
      Sweeping up what, was he playing sweeper, did he start any attacks, I'm not talking about assists.

I think he meant sweeping up in the dressing room after the game mate :)
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #752: Apr 03, 2011 07:57:16 pm
      I think he meant sweeping up in the dressing room after the game mate :)

;D

Was just going to say the same.

Lucas was average.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #753: Apr 03, 2011 08:02:33 pm
      Thugs.

Is that how Roy sent them out? As thugs?

Is that the only way to beat us Woy?

Seems that penalties have been an issue in our games from when Kenny took over.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,344 posts | 2818 
      Reply #754: Apr 03, 2011 08:14:48 pm
      His sweeping up was superb, if you deny that then I can't see why.

I'll deny it.

Nothing in his game was superb. Not even close, he yet again failed to stamp his mark on a game away from Anfield.

Apart from Reina, Skrtel and, at times, Suarez no one deserves a 'superb' for yesterdays showing.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #755: Apr 03, 2011 08:16:44 pm
      Not even close, he yet again failed to stamp his mark on a game away from Anfield.

Not one midfielder did. Our biggest problem on the pitch for the last 20 months.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #756: Apr 03, 2011 08:18:10 pm
      Sweeping up what, was he playing sweeper, did he start any attacks, i'm not talking about assists.

Liverpool fans have come to accept mediocrity, i personally blame Hicks and Gillette for this

If you'd read my post, I stated he was useless going forward, but I will give him credit where it's due for the work he did defensively, unlike some.  Keep on stating he's a squad player at best, but I won't continually slate him, like a broken record, for failings everyone knows he has in his game, his midfield partner was far worse yesterday and the two injury enforced subs played a huge part yesterday, as both Lucas & Spearing had to drop deeper to help out the very slow pairing of Skrtel & Sotis.  
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,344 posts | 2818 
      Reply #757: Apr 03, 2011 08:18:37 pm
      Not one midfielder did. Our biggest problem on the pitch for the last 20 months.

I'll agree with that too. Just can't see how Lucas was super at anything to be honest, bar giving some daft free kicks away.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #758: Apr 03, 2011 08:19:29 pm
      I'll deny it.

Nothing in his game was superb. Not even close, he yet again failed to stamp his mark on a game away from Anfield.

Apart from Reina, Skrtel and, at times, Suarez no one deserves a 'superb' for yesterdays showing.

That aspect of his game was though, other aspects were sh*te or worse, but at least praise him for what he DID do well.

Quick Reply