Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Skrtel
      (33%)
      Wilson
      (6.1%)
      Suarez
      (16.5%)
      Carroll
      (0.9%)
      Reina
      (37.4%)
      Somebody else
      (6.1%)

West Brom 2-1 Liverpool - post match fury

Read 42494 times
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Re: West Brom 2-1 Liverpool - post match fury
      Reply #759: Apr 03, 2011 08:24:45 pm
      I'll agree with that too. Just can't see how Lucas was super at anything to be honest, bar giving some daft free kicks away.

Agree, was certainly not super in any way. The only thing I feel keeping me saying he was the worst is at least he tried to do something, he tried to stand up to the WBA midfield, granted he failed but he did more than Spearing + Meireles + Kuyt.

One example springs to mind of when WBA were on the attack, Lucas came back, won the ball with a brilliant tackle, but then fell over and WBA got the ball back. He tried but unfortunately it wasen't enough. 
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #760: Apr 03, 2011 08:25:47 pm
      Praise him for what along with Spearing he was awful, what he won a few tackles sure that is what he is the team for because he gives absolutely nothing to the team in an attacking sense.

The sooner we buy a proper defensive midfielder the better

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #761: Apr 03, 2011 08:31:27 pm
      I wasen't praising him, I was just crediting him for actually giving a sh*t. It probably sounds like praise, but I agree, he was piss poor.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #762: Apr 03, 2011 08:38:50 pm
      Praise him for what along with Spearing he was awful, what he won a few tackles sure that is what he is the team for because he gives absolutely nothing to the team in an attacking sense.

The sooner we buy a proper defensive midfielder the better

So you won't even credit him for what he did well then, because you obsessed with the (lack of) attacking options he creates - well the players who were meant to create were worse than Lucas yesterday, again not saying he was great, but tired of people focusing on Lucas when of the four poor performers across the middle of the park for us yesterday, he was probably the best - again not praise, because hey were sh*te, but if a certain aspect of a players game was good, in an other wise poor performance, I'll praise it, not dismiss it, like some have.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #763: Apr 03, 2011 08:53:13 pm
      ;D

Was just going to say the same.

Lucas was average.
      Yep he was average but his sweeping up(interceptions and clearences) in the second half were superb.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #764: Apr 03, 2011 08:54:43 pm

If you'd read my post, I stated he was useless going forward, but I will give him credit where it's due for the work he did defensively, unlike some.  Keep on stating he's a squad player at best, but I won't continually slate him, like a broken record, for failings everyone knows he has in his game, his midfield partner was far worse yesterday and the two injury enforced subs played a huge part yesterday, as both Lucas & Spearing had to drop deeper to help out the very slow pairing of Skrtel & Sotis. 
      This.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8544 
      Reply #765: Apr 03, 2011 09:00:56 pm
      Not one midfielder did. Our biggest problem on the pitch for the last 20 months.

Or more like since Mascherano left for Spain.

Even at times last season he and Lucas won midfield battles in games, the derby at Goodison last season, Man U at home etc.

As people said when it was predicted he would leave after Rafa left, our bite in midfield would go too!
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #766: Apr 03, 2011 09:02:14 pm
      Lucas is still not half the player of Mascherano

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #767: Apr 03, 2011 09:05:47 pm
      Or more like since Mascherano left for Spain.

Even at times last season he and Lucas won midfield battles in games, the derby at Goodison last season, Man U at home etc.

As people said when it was predicted he would leave after Rafa left, our bite in midfield would go too!

well, ya, ok. The 'bite' hasen't been the problem, but Lucas + Masch's problem was creativity.

The last 12 months so, the problem has been the dominance.

Who said he was?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8544 
      Reply #768: Apr 03, 2011 09:07:14 pm

That's not the point, take away the tigerish aspect of Mascherano's game, throw Spearing, Poulsen or even Meireles next to him and we see what happens.

Lucas isn't that bad a player, when he has a good destroyer next to him, neither of the other three could be described as that. Same can be said for Raul as well, decent passer, can get goals, but hasn't got the same fight in him. It's what our midfield now misses.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #769: Apr 03, 2011 09:07:20 pm
      Sorry just reminiscing when we had a proper midfield Mascherano and Alonso
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8544 
      Reply #770: Apr 03, 2011 09:11:04 pm
      The last 12 months so, the problem has been the dominance.

With Gerrard ahead of the pair of them.

Creativity, bite and goals.

Gerrard acting as the heartbeat, Mascherano gives you the balls and Alonso the brain.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 2811 
      Reply #771: Apr 03, 2011 11:25:52 pm

Gerrard acting as the heartbeat, Mascherano gives you the balls and Alonso the brain.

That was by far the best central midfield league at the time.

Decent cover for Torres and we would have won the title.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #772: Apr 03, 2011 11:47:17 pm
      A picture paints a thousand words.

RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #773: Apr 04, 2011 12:10:12 am

Realistically,we now have none of those.Gerrard is conspicuous by his absence,and even when he's played this season,honestly,it,s been average.The formation that Rafa built around Mascher,was to compensate the quality of the back 4.Lucas is not and never will be that type of player,and should not be criticised for attempting to fill that role.Kenny will rectify that in the summer.As for Alonso,whatever the pro or anti Rafa brigades say,that was his biggest mistake.He sacrificed Xabi,to undermine Gerrards influence in the dressing room.L:et's hope that table turns soon.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1767 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #774: Apr 04, 2011 08:44:17 am
      how did wilson play guys, Ive only watched highlights on MOTD & goals on sunday, never showed much of him.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #775: Apr 04, 2011 08:55:59 am
      I agree with you Ian,I am only glad that the match was delayed coverage here and I did not have to stay awake half the night to watch that rubbish.After watching the thuggery from the West Brom players especially Ollsen I got to wishing we had a young Tommy Smith playing for us,Suarez and Carroll are getting the same treatment as Torres was getting and he needs some protection from the referees.It is not acceptable to be throwing away 3 points to these mediocre teams our standards are higher than that anI believe Kenny will have a good clear out over the summer and put us back were we belong-At THE TOP and feared by every other club.
      I do not know what happened to my post,it just disappeared but it was still there when i hit the quote button so I will resubmit it.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #776: Apr 04, 2011 08:56:37 am
      Don't think Woy ever managed to get 2 pens in a game when he was in charge.

Just a general query - how many penalties have we given away this season - seems an awful lot.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #777: Apr 04, 2011 09:01:12 am
      I havent read any of the other 25 pages so what I am about to say may have been covered already but I still have to get my frustrations out about Saturday.

The much maligned Roy Hodgson, The Owl or any other name he has been called totally out thought Kenny and Steve tactically and his team fully derserved their win. Roys team had width, movement and most importantly a desire to win.

Their full backs always pushed on while ours sat still.
      Their midfield always had options and ran off the ball into space while ours sat still.

We were out thought tactically, outfought on the pitch and outplayed.

Sure we could have a scraped a draw but from where I was sitting we were under the cosh for most of the game and without Suarez we would have struggled to hit the target. He was our one bright spark from all our attacking players on the pitch.

And Kenny what the F**k was the point in bringing on Joe Cole with 3 minutes to go, if you want to win the game and fancy him then give him 15 at least.

To quote "Big Mick" from another thread...too many average players mean we will continue to see sh*te performances as the norm rather than the exception.

Rant over.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #778: Apr 04, 2011 09:03:33 am
      how did wilson play guys, Ive only watched highlights on MOTD & goals on sunday, never showed much of him.

He still looks nervous but he did okay.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #779: Apr 04, 2011 09:22:50 am

Defensively very good, considering, but nothing going forward - understandably
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1767 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #780: Apr 04, 2011 09:26:40 am
      cheers guys.  ;)
      I can't Remember wilson having a bad game since Northampton. Right now ID play him before soto, he is giving away too many penners for my liking, but we need a fukin fit LB !
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,288 posts | 763 
      Reply #781: Apr 04, 2011 09:28:12 pm
      I was very disappointed to hear the final score when I arrived home from work on Saturday. This makes qualifying for Europe even more difficult now.

Quick Reply