Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Hard Disk Corrupted

Read 4801 times
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Re: Hard Disk Corrupted
      Reply #23: Apr 07, 2011 10:48:19 pm
      The hard drive on the PS3 is the same as a standard PC/Laptop HD. When it gets knocked around or jarred the platters can shift and then the info becomes corrupted. As long as their is no physical damage to the drive it can be wiped and the OS can be reloaded. The HD is made up of a stack of Platters much like cd's. When they get jammed or dropped they can rub. As funny as it sounds the post above about putting in the freezer is an old PC tech trick which does work.  It will give you enough time to get the data off the drive. The cold causes the platters on the HD to shrink enough so they will spin and the data can be retrieved.  However, best bet...replace the drive with a new one. All the work to try and fix the old drive will probably be pointless.

If you want to copy the info get a USB to SATA/IDE 2.5" transfer kit. You can get them on ebay.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #24: Apr 07, 2011 11:30:30 pm
      The hard drive on the PS3 is the same as a standard PC/Laptop HD. When it gets knocked around or jarred the platters can shift and then the info becomes corrupted. As long as their is no physical damage to the drive it can be wiped and the OS can be reloaded. The HD is made up of a stack of Platters much like cd's. When they get jammed or dropped they can rub. As funny as it sounds the post above about putting in the freezer is an old PC tech trick which does work.  It will give you enough time to get the data off the drive. The cold causes the platters on the HD to shrink enough so they will spin and the data can be retrieved.  However, best bet...replace the drive with a new one. All the work to try and fix the old drive will probably be pointless.

If you want to copy the info get a USB to SATA/IDE 2.5" transfer kit. You can get them on ebay.
      Put the whole PS3 in freezer?
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #25: Apr 07, 2011 11:36:20 pm
      I think you have to put it in the freezer then thaw it out in the microwave !
      Hownowbrowncow?
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #26: Apr 07, 2011 11:44:24 pm
      After you put it in the freezer, wrap it in a towel and put it somewhere warm, I had the same problem and did the same with mine and put it on the radiator.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #27: Apr 07, 2011 11:46:18 pm
      I think you have to put it in the freezer then thaw it out in the microwave !

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #28: Apr 08, 2011 01:42:23 am
      How nice, so many people signed up to help PGlynn with his PS3.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #29: Apr 08, 2011 01:44:45 am
      There is a lot of sound advice here, the consensus is that you should either cook or wash it.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #30: Apr 08, 2011 02:06:50 am
      Don't just flush it. Pee on it first, then flush it.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #31: Apr 08, 2011 02:39:32 am
      I'm getting it fixed for €60 :D

Won't be pissing on it haha :)
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #32: Apr 08, 2011 03:49:19 pm
      No.....You will want to open the PS3 and put the Hardrive only in the freezer.   However that may not always correct the problem.  It does work for certain failures, and second you do that if you want to get the old data off of it. Once it is cold enough the platters shrink and then the arms which sweep across the platters to read the data can move back and forth. But after awhile the platters will warm up and may become stuck again.

I know it sucks but I think you may want to look at replacing the HD. You can get used ones from Ebay.

If you need some links for all the tools you need let me know.  I do PC and Laptop repairs on the side and I could help you out if you want.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #33: Apr 08, 2011 06:32:46 pm
      Don't just flush it. Pee on it first, then flush it.

This.

Quick Reply