Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

The Power of the Premier League

Read 1954 times
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      The Power of the Premier League
      Apr 18, 2011 02:09:31 am
      Today I was checking into rumours of Tottenham preparing a 40m pounds joint bid for Falcao and Hulk. It's from talkaloadofbull.com and though I know it's not a reliable site, it got me thinking... They actually could do it. Top clubs like United, Chelsea, Real or Barça don't need these players, and among the clubs that could really use them I think only Premier League ones have the financial power to sign them.

It's one thing when we lose our players to clubs like United or Real Madrid, but to know that a club like Tottenham can truly obliterate us in terms of financial power is depressing. With all the respect to Tottenham, which is a club I appreciate a lot, they're nowhere near us in terms of history, pedigree, even stadium capacity and much probably fan base size. Yet they benefit immensely of playing in the most wealthy league in the world. It's a more attractive league to play in, and they can pay A LOT better than us. Back in 2003 they took us Postiga, our most promising player (which eventually developed into nothing, but it hurt at the time).

Football has changed immensely in Europe in the past two decades, and with it's growth as a business, clubs from smaller countries like Holland or Portugal (which beyond small is poor) are left without a chance to compete, not because of the size of the clubs, but because of the size of the leagues they're in. Never again will Benfica or Ajax dominate Europe transiently like they've done so well in the past. These are historical giants, until recently not significantly smaller than United (take your overseas growth out of the equation and I guess Benfica has about the same number of fans as United). Yet they'll never be at the top again. A blink of magic like 2004 can always (well...) happen, but it will soon be followed by a cleansing of our squad.

Nowadays you get kids who support Chelsea or Real Madrid in Portugal. In Portugal, ffs, like if our football isn't good enough for them to support. "I support Benfica and Chelsea" said my little brother once. This is ridiculous to me.

In 1987 Porto won the Champions League with a squad almost exclusively composed of Portuguese players. Same did Benfica in the 60's, and in their 88 and 90 lost finals. Nowadays, to have competitive squads we have to travel to Argentina and poach players from clubs like River Plate or Boca Juniors. And their fans probably felt the same way when they lost Falcao to us, as I will when I lose him to Tottenham or Manchester City. This because our top home product are long gone.

I'll never see a player spend his whole career in Porto, and I still caught a few examples of this when I first started following football. No one will ever be good enough to spend the whole career here but not good enough to not give a further step up.

It's just not doable. Not when a giant club like Benfica wins 20 million Euros per year in TV revenue, or when Ajax can't hold their best players more than a couple of seasons. We have to live in a constant leverage of buying young talent and selling them more expensive 3 years later, it's the only way of simultaneously having a team capable of reaching the final 16 of the CL and not going bankrupt in the process. But it's risky as hell, if for 3 years we're unlucky enough that none of our new talents adapts, for example, we're doomed. It never happened, and Porto is probably the best managed club in the world under these harsh conditions. Hence I'm immensely proud of them. We achieved a lot so far, it was an immense task to fight our country bias towards Benfica and becoming the dominating force internally, let alone our European success. Next year we're in pot 1 of the Champions League draw, a prize for our consistency on the past 5 seasons, and a remarkable feat.

But that's as high as we'll ever reach. And though on the average day I despise them, I actually feel sorry for Benfica now, who's definitely one of the biggest clubs of the world but will never again be able to show it on the pitch. No more Eusebios, he'd be gone at 22 years old if he arrived here today.

Pretty much a pointless rant here, just echoing my depression with the end of the season nearing and the probable departure of our best jewels on the pitch. I started thinking about it when someone created a thread about the hypothetical Super League. How much I'd love that, how much it would increase our revenues - if clubs like Porto, Benfica or Ajax got their place in it, I have no doubt they would grow again, with the huge fan support they have allied to the football-loving nature of their countries. Football would again become about the clubs, and not about the leagues they're in.

Ah well. The end. I'm feeling better already.

I took this from a Porto fan on RedCafe but it is a fantastic post and opened my eyes a lot!
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Re: The Power of the Premier League
      Reply #1: Apr 18, 2011 02:47:01 am
      Yes, great post. A bit sad to read, as I understand his sentiment.  :-\

And we ARE heading to a Super League in the next 8-15 years in my opinion. Every sports league around the world revolves around money -- how to get it, and how to make more. And no money pot will ever be bigger than a league where Man U, Liverpool, Milan, Bayern Munich, etc. are going head to head every week.

The Champions League and Europa League are bloated with too many teams and too many matches that no one pays attention to. I think we'll see a Super League of 20 teams and a Europa League competition for the best of the rest. I'm not saying it's a good idea -- I think the domestic leagues will be harmed. But money wins...so a Super League is inevitable.   
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #2: Apr 18, 2011 03:09:28 am
      Nothing there I didn't already know. When you look at a team like Ajax for instance, if Ajax would be able to keep their players like most top teams can then they could have a team right now consisting of players like Seedorf, Van der Vaart, Sneijder, Stekelenburg, Van der Wiel, Suarez, Huntelaar, Vertonghen, Vermaelen, Ibrahimovic, Eriksen, Nigel de Jong, Pienaar, Chivu, Maxwell, Maduro etc. They'd consistently be a European top team. But teams in the Dutch league can't compete financially.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #3: Apr 18, 2011 05:49:51 pm
      If there was a Super League, we would have around 16 top clubs!

Not the four or five, we have now.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #4: Apr 18, 2011 05:54:59 pm
      I do have some sympathy for clubs such as Ajax. They have a fantastic setup and real history to the club. I'd love to see them competing at the very top of European football again but it's hard to see how that could happen when their squad is constantly raped by richer clubs.

Not that I'm complaining about us taking Suarez from them, of course  :f_whistle:
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #5: Apr 18, 2011 09:26:19 pm
      I do have some sympathy for clubs such as Ajax. They have a fantastic setup and real history to the club. I'd love to see them competing at the very top of European football again but it's hard to see how that could happen when their squad is constantly raped by richer clubs.

Not that I'm complaining about us taking Suarez from them, of course  :f_whistle:

I agree 100%.

I assume if they ever built a Super League that it would somehow include the top club or two from Portugal, Netherlands, etc. And the domestic league of that country would determine somehow which club gets in.

Right now there are 76 (!!!) teams in the Champions League, and 160 (!!!) in Europa, some of which filter down from CL. So somewhere north of 200 teams are in these competitions, and you and I both know that only 50 or so have a realistic shot to get to the semis in either.

Maybe a 40 team Super League. Play each club once. Rotate the home games each season...
      England 5
      Italy 5
      Spain 5
      Germany 4
      France 2
      Netherlands 2
      Portugal 2
      Russia 2
      Turkey 2
      Scotland 2
      and 9 others...

Also, make an improved Europa League of just 64 teams. Put the rest (the ones who can only dream of winning CL or EL now) in a lower level competition of another 64 teams (Europa 2?).

Quick Reply