Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Nigerian Defender Olubayo Adefemi Killed in Car Crash

Read 1242 times
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Nigerian Defender Olubayo Adefemi Killed in Car Crash
      Apr 18, 2011 08:29:47 pm
      Nigeria's Olubayo Adefemi dies in Greece car accident

Nigeria international defender Olubayo Adefemi has died in a car accident, Greek police said on Monday.

The 25-year-old, who played for Skoda Xanthi, lost control of his car on the Egnatia motorway before the crash.

Adefemi was driving from Xanthi to Salonika in the Kavala region of northern Greece.

The former Rapid Bucharest player was on his way to Nigeria to finalise details of his wedding when the accident happened, police said.

"The Super League and the entire Greek football family would like to express its deepest condolences and sympathy for the family of Olubayo Adefemi who died tragically in a car accident," league organisers said in a statement on Monday.

Adefemi's Zambian team-mate and friend Chris Katongo says Xanthi players were in shock when they heard news of the death of the popular player.

"It was a good day and all the players were laughing and joking when the manager came in and broke the news. Everyone is in shock," Katongo told BBC Sport.

"Even as I am speaking I am thinking it is a joke but it is true. I can't believe this.

"He was a good person, he likes to joke and likes to laugh. It is the reason why he got along with everyone and was well liked.

"He was like a brother to me because we shared the same room during team camping. It is a big loss to me and the entire Xanthi team."

Adefemi's car skidded off the highway in Kavala in bad weather conditions before crashing into a barrier, killing him instantly.

"For the past three of four days in that part of Greece the weather has been terrible and unfamiliar with the country," Greek sports journalist Christos Sotirakopoulos told BBC Sport.

"The road has been slippery with heavy rains and in some cases heavy snow which is quite unusual for Greece."

Meanwhile, Skoda Xanthi will organise a friendly match in the memory of the Nigerian defender to raise fund to support his family.

"His team have already said that they will organise a game in his memory to send some money to his family in Africa," Sotirakopoulos

Adefemi signed for Xanthi last summer and made 24 appearances for the club, scoring twice.

He has also played five times for Nigeria.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/9461573.stm
      « Last Edit: Apr 19, 2011 05:13:38 am by ayrton77, Reason: Took the Skoda Xanthi bit out of the title since it was the name of his club, not another person who died »
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Re: Skoda Xanthi and Nigerian Defender Olubayo Adefemi Killed in Car Crash
      Reply #1: Apr 18, 2011 08:49:45 pm
      Just saw this.

Thoughts are with his family and friends.

YNWA.
      Timi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 608 posts |
      Re: Nigerian Defender Olubayo Adefemi Killed in Car Crash
      Reply #2: Apr 20, 2011 12:50:33 am
      This was really tragic news. May his family and friends find the fortitude to bear what must be a shocking loss.
      (Thank you Dmasta for posting)
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #3: Apr 20, 2011 10:49:50 am
      The former Rapid Bucharest player was on his way to Nigeria to finalise details of his wedding when the accident happened, police said.

Thoughts to his family, friends and the girl he was to marry.

RIP
      MsGerrard
      Reply #4: Apr 20, 2011 12:36:03 pm
      That's absolutely tragic....so very very sad.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #5: Apr 20, 2011 12:54:32 pm
      RIP

Tragic.

Quick Reply