Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Wayne Rooney given 2 game ban

Read 1616 times
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,302 posts | 943 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Wayne Rooney given 2 game ban
      Apr 05, 2011 10:06:19 pm
      Wayne Rooney has been given a 2 game ban for his foul mouthed celebration against West Ham. To me for this offence the punishment seems harsh, but what i can't understand is, why this punishment hasn't been dished out for all the foul mouthed rants he has dished out to Referee's. I thought the BBC were very crafty showing the incident again on the Sunday programme, perhaps a dig back at Ferguson.
      « Last Edit: Apr 05, 2011 10:23:20 pm by MsGerrard, Reason: Corrected spellings. »
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Re: Wayne Rooney given 2 game ban
      Reply #1: Apr 05, 2011 10:13:31 pm
      The rules in game with these things are when a referee actually has seen the offense, regardless of what it is, and doesn't give a card for it because he doesn't regard it worthy of it then the FA or whoever don't do anything about it afterwards. If the ref hasn't seen the offense however then the FA can take action afterwards. At least that's how it works here in Holland, and I think all rules in Europe are fairly the same. Haven't seen what Rooney did against West Ham, but sounds like this applies to that? Obviously this can be a bit of a slipper slope.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #2: Apr 05, 2011 10:15:57 pm
      The rules in game with these things are when a referee actually has seen the offense, regardless of what it is, and he doesn't give a card for it then the FA or whoever don't do anything about it. If the ref hasn't seen the offense however then the FA can take action afterwards. At least that's how it works here in Holland, and I think all rules in Europe are fairly the same. Haven't seen what Rooney did against West Ham, but sounds liek this applies to that?

The ref couldn't do anything about the swearing really. Especially if it was only to the camera.

Ref had no input on this decision unlike the elbow he did a few weeks back.

2 game ban is silly IMO but he's due to be banned anyway.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #3: Apr 05, 2011 10:19:11 pm
      Yeah, exactly, but that's my point. If Rooney rants against a ref and the ref doesn't do anything about it then the FA can't either afterwards. But in this case they can.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #4: Apr 05, 2011 10:23:27 pm
      It's about time the FA had some balls with this type of behaviour.  I may be old fashioned but I hate the way some players behave and will continue to, until there is a proper clamp down on it.

It's no surprise that since "the respect" campaign started, behaviour has got worse.

I hope, now he's appealed, that he get's another game or two added to the original ban.

The Ref told the FA if he'd heard it he would have given him a straight red.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #5: Apr 06, 2011 12:54:20 am
      If you look at what he did then the ban is fair, he had a choice of choosing the words in front of the camera.

Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,711 posts | 896 
      Reply #6: Apr 06, 2011 04:27:15 am
      what did he say?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #7: Apr 06, 2011 01:57:30 pm
      Karma striking again!!
      chap
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 672 posts | 35 
      Reply #8: Apr 06, 2011 06:05:51 pm
      The troll should be given a permanent ban
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #9: Apr 08, 2011 05:55:13 pm
      Sir Alex Ferguson slams policeman for comments about Wayne Rooney

Sir Alex Ferguson has accused Superintendent Mark Payne of "needing to be noticed" after the policeman made pointed comments about Wayne Rooney on his blog.

Payne, who is responsible for managing responses to crime and operations in Wolverhampton, said he would have expected his officers to have arrested Rooney if the Manchester United striker had produced a four-letter outburst, similar to the one he produced at Upton Park last Saturday, in a public place. The suggestion brought a withering response from Ferguson.

"Everyone has an opinion today," the United manager said. "There is an issue in the modern world of a need to be noticed. There is a wee guy, sitting down there in the Midlands, probably never been recognised in his life, managed to elevate himself to whatever it is in the police force. Have you ever seen Wolverhampton on a Saturday night? Do police ever arrest anyone for swearing on a Saturday night? Dearie me. That is a good one."

Payne, writing on his blog, on policing, said: "If Rooney had behaved like that in Wolverhampton on Saturday night, I would have expected my officers to lock him up. People in positions of influence have an obligation to behave like human beings. It is not a lot to ask. I have seen a thousand Rooneys, and I am sure most police officers will have. The same aggressive stance, the bulging eyes, the foul-mouthed rant, fists clenched, surrounded by his mates, all cheering him on. I have seen this on Friday and Saturday nights, as young men (and more often young ladies) engage in a 'good night out'.

"My officers will face more Rooneys over the weekend, no doubt somebody will be injured in some meaningless fight. An officer will have to go and tell a parent that their son or daughter is in hospital as a result."

In their immediate reactions on Thursday to Rooney's two-match suspension being confirmed by the Football Association, United and the player made their displeasure known.

"I don't know if you can use the word 'fair' any longer," Ferguson said, recalling that his use of that word at Chelsea last month led to him receiving a five-game touchline ban. "We put an appeal in. The lad has apologised for swearing but I don't think we expected to get a result. It will bring us together. It is a plus for us.

"But the one I feel sorry for is [the referee] Lee Mason [who was an duty at Upton Park]. He has put himself in a terrible position. He has been put under pressure. There is no doubt about that. It is hard to imagine the referee would send a player off for scoring a hat-trick.

"But he has now put himself in the spotlight. If he doesn't send a player off for swearing the question will be: 'Has he got double standards?' It is a very difficult position the lad is in. I feel for him. I really do. I don't know where his career is going to go now. I think he was put under pressure."

The former Manchester United defender Gary Neville said: "The FA are very reactive and very inconsistent with their reactions. There is no rule in place that says swearing on camera brings you a two-match ban. This week, they have created one. Now they must make sure they continue that moving forward. Everybody caught swearing on camera will have to be banned for two matches."

Neville, who will become a Sky Sports pundit next season, added: "For the last 20 years my grandma has told me that she has caught me swearing on camera. It happens 20 times in every match. I cannot understand why this time makes a difference. You cannot take the emotion out of football. The spur of the moment. The instinct. The release. The reaction. That is life.

"Some people cry, some people kiss, some people scowl. With most, if they are scoring a goal in the last minute to win a match, they have no idea how they are going to react. You can't remove the human element and the passion and emotion. [The FA] wants football players to remember their working-class roots, then when they show some level of emotion that means that they care, they get knocked for it. That is the bit I could never understand."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/apr/08/sir-alex-ferguson-wayne-rooney
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #10: Apr 08, 2011 06:38:33 pm
      They are all throwing their toys out of the pram about this one :lmao:
      MsGerrard
      Reply #11: Apr 09, 2011 10:27:09 am
      Sir Alex Ferguson slams policeman for comments about Wayne Rooney

Fergiescum would blame his own Mother if he thought it would do any good....why the hell can't he see Rooney for what he really is, a spoilt little brat, and one of the biggest thugs in English Football.

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #12: Apr 09, 2011 12:35:22 pm
      Why do people fall for the old cu*ts tricks he is hardly bright yet he keeps on spewing out this tripe. Rooney is a little runt a nark and God knows what he will do when he finishes playing he may as well top himself as he will never be part of the human race.

Quick Reply