Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Basketball star LeBron James joins forces with Fenway

Read 45719 times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Basketball star LeBron James joins forces with Fenway
      Reply #437: Oct 15, 2011 12:54:02 am
      City centre obviously!!

Wonder if he came through Edge Lane from Manny or from Speke?
      God help coming through Speke.

Mind you Edge Lane has had road works on for time now. F***ing murder trying to get from Dunning Rd to Holt Rd, so he might of had a wait coming that way if the road works are as bad as they are down Kenny way.

;)

This one is my favourite. It's comical yet quite sad at the same time.

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #438: Oct 15, 2011 01:33:16 am

That you in your Noggsy pajama bottoms in the background then mate? ;D
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #439: Oct 15, 2011 01:46:21 am
      Shankly Is Bigger Than Anyone. 

Facht  .....   Bro !
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #440: Oct 15, 2011 02:00:25 am
      Shankly Is Bigger Than Anyone. 

Facht  .....   Bro !

Mmmhmm. No arguments from anyone here.

Your point? :D
      JoeyLFC
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 520 posts |
      Reply #441: Oct 15, 2011 06:59:47 am
      I still don't understand why people need to be so sour about all of this.

What difference does it really make to you all? So he gets 1%, a 1% that would normally be held by NESV right? And he takes up 1 seat at Anfield right? His presence in that one seat will no doubt make a bigger impact than almost any other single presence in the stadium on a global scale.

If we win today and in a news package over in the United States, it shows clips of the goals, plus LeBron in the stands clapping, and standing next to a top with his name printed on it, I guarantee it will sell hundreds of tops almost immediately.

It's only positive. Stop being so negative over everything, because at the end of the day, it doesn't affect ANYTHING on the pitch, at all. If anything, it will increase the morale of the squad knowing that they are elite athletes, with an affiliation to other world wide sport stars.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #442: Oct 15, 2011 07:17:38 am
      I still don't understand why people need to be so sour about all of this.

What difference does it really make to you all? So he gets 1%, a 1% that would normally be held by NESV right? And he takes up 1 seat at Anfield right? His presence in that one seat will no doubt make a bigger impact than almost any other single presence in the stadium on a global scale.

If we win today and in a news package over in the United States, it shows clips of the goals, plus LeBron in the stands clapping, and standing next to a top with his name printed on it, I guarantee it will sell hundreds of tops almost immediately.

It's only positive. Stop being so negative over everything, because at the end of the day, it doesn't affect ANYTHING on the pitch, at all. If anything, it will increase the morale of the squad knowing that they are elite athletes, with an affiliation to other world wide sport stars.
      You did forget one thing.  It will matter to who he is sitting in front of.  They won't be able to see a thing :P
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #443: Oct 15, 2011 08:43:43 am
       It is funny how I am Negative for for saying I don't like it when part of my club is sold for someone image rights.

Lots of people were called Negative for saying we are not the best team in the EPL

Yet nobody says JH is negative when he states we are years behind Man U

I suppose he is just a realist

Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #444: Oct 15, 2011 10:46:30 am
      Saturday 15 October - 07.50

LeBron James is up early. After eating out in Liverpool city centre last night, the Miami Heat star is having breakfast in the Hillbark Hotel on the Wirral and talking to fellow fans about what to expect from his first ever match at Anfield. He visited the stadium yesterday and took a tour of the dressing rooms, tunnel area and museum but today he knows, with 45,000 fans present, it's going to be a completely different experience.

On his @KingJames Twitter account, he tweets: 'The locals here in Liverpool are so excited about today's game. I am as well! It's going to be AMAZING!'

Saturday October 15 - 09:45

He may possibly be one of the greatest basketball players ever but with a ball in his hand, he looks nervous. LeBron James is at an LFC Community event at the Respect 4 All centre in south Liverpool with 20 local children with severe mental or physical disabilities and he's just watched one youngster shoot a hoop fully blindfolded. Now it's his turn and with a blindfold over his eyes, he waits to hear one of the coaches tap the edge of the rim with a pole to indicate where he needs to aim. 'Damn, this looks hard,' he admits before starting his run up. With everyone watching and waiting - the children, their parents, the coaches, club staff and his girlfriend and friends - he bounces the basketball twice, runs and... misses! He tries again and misses again. He sees the funny side and admits this isn't about him today - it's about supporting the children who are growing up less fortunate than himself.

He spends an hour at the centre, playing with the children, pushing their wheelchairs, holding their hands as the blind children dribble a football towards a goal and posing for pictures.

"I'm happy to be here to lend my support to these kids who have challenging lives," he said. "Sport makes a difference in everyone's life, and especially in these kids' lives. These kids get an opportunity to forget what's going on in their personal lives and have sport around them. They have soccer, they have basketball and other sports around them, and they have these great people around them who help them forget what may be going on in their own personal lives, so sport plays a big part and you can see the smiles on these kids' faces."

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #445: Oct 15, 2011 11:33:16 am
      Mmmhmm. No arguments from anyone here.

Your point? :D

The Statue.

The only Hero to worship and head and shoulders above all.
      JoeyLFC
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 520 posts |
      Reply #446: Oct 18, 2011 04:25:27 am
      LeBron James donates $10,000 to club’s Foundation
      AMERICAN basketball superstar LeBron James donated $10,000 to Liverpool FC’s Foundation during his first visit to the city.

The 26-year-old Miami Heat forward, who attended Saturday’s 1-1 draw with Manchester United at Anfield, made the donation while at St Margaret’s School which is the club’s Respect 4 All centre.

The centre hosts football coaching sessions with local children with severe physical or mental disabilities and is currently oversubscribed.

James’ donation has kick-started a fundraising campaign to open a second centre in north Liverpool.

“I am honoured and humbled to be a part of Liverpool FC and especially proud to help the club’s charitable efforts,” James said.

“My foundation has always focused on giving kids the support they need to be successful.

“I’m excited to give this gift on my first trip and to start participating in the amazing work being done by Liverpool FC in the community.”

Liverpool FC’s foundation director Gary Adlen added: “It’s been a real pleasure having LeBron here.

“We are extremely grateful for his donation which will contribute significantly to opening a second Respect 4 All centre and support even more local children in north Liverpool.”

During his 48-hour stay in Liverpool, James also met the players at Melwood and had a tour of the stadium and museum prior to taking his seat in the directors box for Saturday’s game.

It was the first match he has attended since he became a minority shareholder in the Reds back in April.

James was handed a small stake in Fenway Sports Group in return for granting Liverpool’s owners the right to become his exclusive global marketing representative.

The NBA star clearly enjoyed the clash with United as he tweeted to his 2.6million followers: “One of the single best experiences of my life! The excitement that these fans have is like no other. Extremely loud start/finish.”
      http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2011/10/17/liverpool-fc-lebron-james-donates-10-000-to-club-s-foundation-100252-29606293/2/

...Still yet to see a single negative effect of this deal.
      alexfrance
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 39 
      Reply #447: Oct 18, 2011 04:36:37 am
      Still yet to see a single negative effect of this deal.
      Well he seems like a nicer guy that we had heard from Americans when he first signed the deal. Fair play to the guy for giving to the cause, a real nice thing to do.

One thing that the article says is that James was given a percentage of FSG as part of the deal, it doesn't say a part of Liverpool FC which people have been saying on here. Anybody know for certain which he owns a percentage of?
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #448: Oct 18, 2011 05:41:27 am
      true there is nothing "bad" to come out of this yet but remember to stay on guard... not because they are american but because they are human... we have to be careful that we keep respectful and our name isn't tarnished by these people overseas that may seem to be investing and embracing but maybe not accepting the real way this club operates.
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,184 posts | 527 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #449: Oct 21, 2011 07:37:33 pm
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #450: Oct 21, 2011 08:27:03 pm

No matter what people think of him as a person, LeBron James is one of the biggest marketing figures in the world of sports, and his involvement in our club will bring us financial benefits.

From a sporting point of view, I think that he has made a huge mistake by not joining the Chicago Bulls. Had he joined the Bulls (and brought Chris Bosh with him, like he did at Miami), with Rose, Noah and Deng already there, they would have easily created another dynasty. Still, I think that LeBron got scared of the shadow of Michael Jordan there, who remains the greatest player ever, and will probably never be overtaken by LeBron, or any other player of this generation.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #451: Oct 21, 2011 09:34:30 pm
      No matter what people think of him as a person, LeBron James is one of the biggest marketing figures in the world of sports, and his involvement in our club will bring us financial benefits.

From a sporting point of view, I think that he has made a huge mistake by not joining the Chicago Bulls. Had he joined the Bulls (and brought Chris Bosh with him, like he did at Miami), with Rose, Noah and Deng already there, they would have easily created another dynasty. Still, I think that LeBron got scared of the shadow of Michael Jordan there, who remains the greatest player ever, and will probably never be overtaken by LeBron, or any other player of this generation.

I doubt they would have been able to afford Bosh (in addition to Lebron) if they had kept Rose, Noah, and Deng.  I agree with you though, he made a big mistake.  Rose is the best point guard in the league.  Deng is among the best power forwards in the league.  Noah and Boozer give them plenty of inside presence, rebounds, and big man defensive ability - not to mention Lebron can guard pretty much anyone due to his size and athletic ability.  The Bulls also have plenty of solid role players like Korver, Gibson, Bogans, and Thomas.  Had he gone to the bulls, they would be the team to beat in the NBA. 

Unfortunately for Lebron, he chose to go to Miami.  With him, Bosh, and Wade all getting max contracts they don't have much space left under the salary cap to fill out the rest of the team with decent role players.  However, one thing that they do have going for them is the hope that experienced players might accept less money to play for Miami in hopes of winning a ring or two....
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,184 posts | 527 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #452: Apr 20, 2012 01:21:26 pm

Just saw this on facebook. Apparently it's from James' new  „Lebron 9 Low Liverpool Edition“. That thing on the top right is supposed to be our mutated Liverbird, and on the bottom right you have our 18 league cups. They should hit stores in May.

I don't like them at all.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #453: Apr 20, 2012 01:30:22 pm
      I don't like them as well.

Should have the original Liver bird instead.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #454: Apr 20, 2012 01:35:14 pm
      Why do they have 18 premier league trophies on the sole when we've never won it? At least use the old style of the trophy, the one we have won. They should use the Liverpool crest but I don't think they're allowed because of copyright.

Not for me.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #455: Apr 20, 2012 02:11:32 pm
      They're disgusting.

Surely if he's a shareholder he has a right to be using the Liverbird - or at least a modified style of it?
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #456: Apr 20, 2012 02:17:01 pm
      They're disgusting.

Surely if he's a shareholder he has a right to be using the Liverbird - or at least a modified style of it?

It's Nike making the shoes. They haven't got any legislation to use the Liverbird. That's my understand of it anyway.

Only Adidas, soon to be Warrior, have any rights to publish the Liverbird commercially.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #457: Apr 20, 2012 03:38:11 pm
      Liverbird, that looks more like a Griffin, who designed them GM?
      harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #458: Apr 20, 2012 04:01:48 pm
      The thing is that the people who will buy these will in all likelihood have no idea what any of the symbolism on them even means.  LBJ's basketball fans are the people who buy his shoes, and the vast majority of them do not care about or watch European footie. 

My personal opinion of these shoes is that they are hideous and the attempted marketing ploy for LFC will only have a minimal impact, if any at all.  However, I do respect the effort that the management team are making to try to branch out to a new audience. 
      I am Pater
      • Forum Youth Player

• 13 posts |
      • LFC fan in Texas
      Reply #459: Apr 20, 2012 04:50:42 pm
      I read that these shoes were not going to be sold commercially and that LeBron had them made for himself to wear.

Quick Reply