Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Help on buying a new mobile phone!!!

Read 4905 times
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Help on buying a new mobile phone!!!
      Aug 14, 2007 09:56:12 pm
      I'm already on a contract so all I need now is to buy a handset which allows Orange sim cards. I had the Samsung E900, being honest it looked nice but there was not too much to it, touch sensative buttons were a pain in the arse, anyway it broke but I don't know how  :happyspin:

I want to buy a new phone, so can any of you give me good advice on good phones?

I've got my eye on a couple of phones from the Carphone Warehouse.

£99.95

£79.95
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Re: Help on buying a new mobile phone!!!
      Reply #1: Aug 14, 2007 09:59:40 pm
      Ra Ra if your on a contract, couldn't you get a free upgrade instead of buying a new handset ??
      Or if your still in your tie-in period, claim on your phone insurance for a new phone.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #2: Aug 14, 2007 10:21:14 pm
      I didn't buy phone insurance and I've still got about another 10 months left on the contract. It was an 18 month contract.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #3: Aug 14, 2007 10:58:23 pm
      If your thinking about a new phone I recommend the Sony Ericcson S500i, its a lovely piece of kit, smart to look at and does the biz, check it out at the CPW. 
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #4: Aug 15, 2007 12:11:47 am
      A bit of personal advice from your friendly forum admin.  I hate Sony Ericsson phones. I had one - the little knob (oo er) became unresponsive. The charger stopped connecting to the little metally contacts - the phone slowed down painfully.

I think Nokia's are the best phones on the market.

You haven't told me what's most important in your phone - camera (Sony's are sh*te) or memory for MP3's etc (Sony's are good).  I've gone back to Nokia's - by far the most well built phones around.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #5: Aug 15, 2007 01:06:54 am
      I'll always stick to Nokia's. I've tried Sony Ericsson, Motorola and Samsung. Always found that Nokia's seem to be more quality and reliable in general.

All depends what you want to use it for really? Each to their own.

I've had a Nokia 6234 on pay as you go for ages now. Suits me down to the ground. Only thing I'd change it for is the sound quality on recording videos (picture quality is fantastic though) and the fact you can video call someone but there is only one camera lens on the back - so you wouldn't be able to see who you're talking to. I couldn't care about video calling though because it doesn't appeal to me.
      Other than that, it's a great model and a pretty old one at that. Still works like it's brand new - other manufacturers models would have conked by now!!
      I can imagine you'd get so much more on one of the latest models of Nokia.
      sell73out
      • Forum David Johnson

• 213 posts |
      Reply #6: Aug 15, 2007 07:30:21 am
      I had one - the little knob (oo er) became unresponsive. The charger stopped connecting to the little metally contacts - the phone slowed down painfully.

Ah... did you have a K750i too? The little joystick was notorious for breaking. On the bright side the W810 which Raf has pictured second cleared all those problems (the joystick is different, it doesn't slow down and the charger works better... battery lasts longer too!) - Mines still going after 13 months with no problems what-so-ever. It's a very good phone, although I have just upgraded so I can have a P1i :)
      JD - I always thought the camera's on SE's were quite good, always had good results from my last two SE phones (K750i and W810i) - I know they were terribly shabby before though, as the pictures from my old Z600 and T68 were awful.
      The top one Raf pictured is a bit plasticy IMO. I can whole heartedly recommend the W810 though.
      As a side thought, if you do like the Sony Ericsson's, have you looked at the new W880 - that is supposed to be fairly cheap...
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #7: Aug 15, 2007 06:26:04 pm
      I had a Samsung D900

Good points:
      Beautiful looking
      Very good camera
      Internal memory (80mb)

Bad points:
      Touch sensative (too sesative)
      Sound quality
      Very slow
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #8: Aug 15, 2007 06:26:40 pm
      Personally I'd go with a Sony, had two now with no problems, but my wife who had the same models as me, had the same problem as JD did with the "joyStick" and she had to get a new phone on the insurance. But still I'd go for a Sony, lots to do with them, far more themes which you can personalize. Just gotta treat them with a bit of TLC.
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #9: Aug 15, 2007 06:50:09 pm
      I've got a Nokia N93 - admittedly on a contract.  It's a chunky mother but it does everything (apart from the ironing).

Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #10: Aug 15, 2007 07:39:11 pm
      had the same problem as JD did with the "joyStick"

I have a Sony Ericsson K750i

Unfortunately I have the problem with the stick.  And so have three of my mates.

For me the phone is still in good nick, but the texting is a pain in the arse.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #11: Aug 16, 2007 06:32:04 pm
      So the joysticks on the Sonys are no good? I know that! I had a Sony Ericsson T630 and the joystick went... no insurance but I took it back with the reciept and they exchanged it!
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #12: Aug 17, 2007 03:55:17 pm
      My Sony Ericsson has done me for a fair old while. It's on it's last legs now, but I've had it for a year & a half. It's a w800i by the way.
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #13: Aug 17, 2007 06:23:23 pm
      Have you actually spoken to Orange about this?

I have a friend on Orange who didnt take insurance out on his new contract phone and he lost it, He phoned Orange and said the guy in the shop never said anything about insurance so he thought it was included in the price plan, but as they had no proof they gave him a new phone for a charge of 25 pound (no pound sign on this keybord!!?)

Might be worth trying to do something like that?
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #14: Aug 17, 2007 06:37:30 pm
      Yep I rang Orange up, they said it won't cost me nothing to get it repaired but I have to do it through Samsung and they agreed to take it away from me and either repair it if possible or replace it. I will get my phone back within 14 - 28 days.

Good eh? It's not insurance... its a one years warranty!

Quick Reply