Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Aaron Lennon (Tottenham)

Read 27205 times
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: Aaron Lennon (Tottenham)
      Reply #115: Jun 26, 2011 01:45:26 pm
      Mata or Lennon for the same price now that is a hard one
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #116: Jun 26, 2011 01:48:29 pm
      Lennon or Walcott, I don't really care either one is far better than what we have at the moment, that is, no speed at the wings and the poor quality of crosses. In spite of what was stated about Lennon's poor quality of crosses I'm sure Kenny and Steve will be more than able to work on that. If it's not either one, I'm sure we'll get 2 quality wingers one on each side, it's a matter of who and when and not will it be. We have Big Andy so we can't live without wingers. We have been flirting with far too many so called potential wingers for the last 5 years and none came good. I hope the club will put the issue to rest, at least for the next 5 years and settle for some quality players at both wings. I prefer Walcott slightly ahead of Lennon if what was being said about him being a Liverpool fan, but I doubt arse will sell him to us.   
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #117: Jun 26, 2011 01:54:59 pm
      The guy is violently quick.. I've come to accept that every player world class or not will be purchased with the intention to make even better.. So with regards to the "final ball" concerns, I reckon Kk and co would iron this out..

That is one of the most obvious statements i've ever seen and there are only so many things Kenny can do to improve a player.
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #118: Jun 26, 2011 01:55:04 pm

Are you actually on the same planet as everybody else mate or you just a tad clueless? We need somebody that can cross a ball not somebody like Young but on the opposite side but drifts in far too much and never seems to provide even 1 decent cross, I think you are forgetting that we have Carroll up top who needs crosses in the air more often than he does get them therefore Lennon would be a poor buy and £20m? f**k that!

So he makes it into the England squad and cant cross....yeah whatever. He is a world class player and worth 20m, if you dont like my opinion fine I guess you are right I am clueless, Capello is clueless [maybe] and KK is clueless., piss off!!
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #119: Jun 26, 2011 01:55:28 pm
      Really like him and Carroll would also love him ;). Get him in.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #120: Jun 26, 2011 01:58:28 pm
      Never seems to raise his crosses off the ground, extremely erratic crosser has gone backwards in the last couple of seasons
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #121: Jun 26, 2011 02:03:52 pm
      Whoever we get in at both the wings, I'm sure they'll scorch down the lanes like the ghost rider, that I'm sure Kenny will be looking forward to this kind of players to recruit, no more slow mo players.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #122: Jun 26, 2011 02:16:13 pm
      Lighting pace but wouldnt be my top choice have to watch the price as Spurs will try to milk it.

Still dont know why we havent tapped up Zog. Not english, been around long enough to be.

I think Mata/Luis/Carroll/Zog is a more frightening prospect that adding Lennon/Downing instead. Just my op.
      Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 59 
      Reply #123: Jun 26, 2011 02:18:30 pm
      I'd personally be happy to have lennon on the wing... he's exactly the sort of player we have needed for a while... a proper pacey winger.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #124: Jun 26, 2011 02:24:14 pm
      So he makes it into the England squad and cant cross....yeah whatever. He is a world class player and worth 20m, if you dont like my opinion fine I guess you are right I am clueless, Capello is clueless [maybe] and KK is clueless., piss off!!

Just because he makes it into the England team it doesn't mean he can cross mate, you really are starting to show the intelligence of a baby. Don't start being childish and telling me to piss off it doesn't make you look big sunshine!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #125: Jun 26, 2011 02:26:09 pm
      An anorexic having a dump has more of an end product than Lennon. 

I still stick by this.  Nothing more than a modern Tony Daley. 
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #126: Jun 26, 2011 02:30:13 pm
      Pennant with more pace
      Fowler kop hero
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      Reply #127: Jun 26, 2011 02:48:23 pm
      not his biggest fan for 20 million big no, downing alll day before him tbh.
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #128: Jun 26, 2011 03:44:37 pm
      Not for me.
      HoyaRed
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 629 posts | 26 
      • YNWA
      Reply #129: Jun 26, 2011 03:48:43 pm
      The lad's got a lot of pace, but that's about it. One trick pony, so it's a NO.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #130: Jun 26, 2011 03:59:36 pm
      Cisse's cousin. ?

Sorry ... Lennon does not impress.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #131: Jun 26, 2011 04:00:12 pm

And even less end product I'm afraid.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #132: Jun 26, 2011 04:14:32 pm
      That is one of the most obvious statements I've ever seen and there are only so many things Kenny can do to improve a player.

Its such an obvious statement you overlooked the point? Very smart..

This boy would beat most players in world football out on the wing and although I don't agree with this whole idea that one of Englands best wingers cant cross, I'm sure Kenny would improve that area in his game regardless..

So basically you must think either Lennon is beyond any improvement at 24 years of age Or you not confident in KK's ability to improve a player from good to world class..?

Not fancying him is one thing but don't second guess a players potential to improve at 24 yrs old, especially under KK..

I agree that to be a world class winger you'd need pace AND a final ball but this lad is so far ahead of most with regard to violent pace (with good close control) you'd have to have a gander at him..
      Sort this apparent "final ball" issue out and you have the real deal imo...

I think you can never have too many players who strike fear into opponents..
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #133: Jun 26, 2011 04:21:41 pm
      Not for me, rather give young Sterling a chance.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #134: Jun 26, 2011 04:41:09 pm
      I understand most people's reasons why he would be poor buy, simply because his final ball is not up to scratch.

Aaron Lennon is a very pacey lad, I'd put money on it he's within the top 2/3 fastest players in the league. What is the only thing we haven't got? Pace and width, this guy offers us it, in large abundance. Another thing I like about Aaron Lennon is that he hugs the touch line. Every winger we've used this season Kuyt, Jovaovic, Maxi, Cole and Meireles (at times), they don't do this. The natural element of their game is to go towards the ball which means they drift towards the central area. That's one reason why we've struggled this season. At times there were about 5/6 players within 20-25 yards of each other because everyone looks to go in the middle. We need at least one player who hugs the touchline which will give us an outlet option (cross into the box) and it also gives the other players more space to play in through the central area. We struggle to break down teams at times, it's fairly easy to defend against us IMO, all opposing teams do is just flood the central area and we just don't have any space to play in. How many times have I read on this forum, "We can't keep the ball", "we can't pass today". The main reason is because we haven't got an outlet ball and space to play him. And a wide player like Lennon would give us that.

His final ball is poor to say the least. He doesn't have any accuracy with his crossing. Although I do believe that Dalglish would help Lennon work on his final ball, training with players with fantastic delivery such as Gerrard will increase his accuracy. If he does improve his final ball, not to a Gerrard standard but to a consistent standard then we will have a top class winger on our hands. His pace and skill is unmatched in the league IMO. Walcott is similar in terms of pace and final ball but he doesn't have the skill Lennon has and he doesn't offer width like Lennon does, Walcott does get more goals though.

My favorite winger in the league Valencia, I think Lennon play a very similar style to him. A player who hugs the touchline, and all he does is whenever he gets the ball, he just runs down the wing and crosses. Also Valencia's crosses are exactly the same quality and style, so the receiver in the box should have a pretty good idea on what's coming into the box. All he goes is float it into the box for a player to head in. United get a lot of goals like that, and they haven't got any decent headers of the ball, imagine Carroll getting onto those crosses.

So he has the skill and pace to become a top class winger, if he improves his final ball then I think he would be an excellent player.
      « Last Edit: Jun 26, 2011 08:46:25 pm by lfc_ynwa »
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #135: Jun 26, 2011 06:11:12 pm
      Lennon is the kind of player we need, if Kenny can get him to play descent crosses into the box. The boy's great when it comes to taking on players, cutting inside and flying down the line and using this pace to scare defenders. However the one thing I've rarely see him do is play a game where he's delivered crosses that are nightmares for defenders to deal with. If Kenny can get him to that, then we've got a great player on our wing.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #136: Jun 26, 2011 06:51:05 pm

in all fairness,Pennant could cross... Lennon will not give us natural width - and will not deliver a concistant performance, ask any spurs fan...
      redsnake
      • Banned

• 128 posts |
      Reply #137: Jun 26, 2011 08:21:07 pm
      No end product waste of time.

Quick Reply