Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Aaron Lennon (Tottenham)

Read 27326 times
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Re: Aaron Lennon (Tottenham)
      Reply #138: Jun 26, 2011 08:42:05 pm
      I understand most people's reasons why he would be poor buy, simply because his final ball is not up to scratch.

Aaron Lennon is a very pacey lad, I'd put money on it he's within the top 2/3 fastest players in the league. What is the only thing we haven't got? Pace and width, this guy offers us it, in large abundance. Another thing I like about Aaron Lennon is that he hugs the tough line. Every winger we've used this season Kuyt, Jovaovic, Maxi, Cole and Meireles (at times), they don't do this. The natural element of their game is to go towards the ball which means they drift towards the central area. That's one reason why we've struggled this season. At times there were about 5/6 players within 20-25 yards of each other because everyone looks to go in the middle. We need at least one player who hugs the touchline which will give us an outlet option (cross into the box) and it also gives the other players more space to play in through the central area. We struggle to break down teams at times, it's fairly easy to defend against us IMO, all opposing teams do is just flood the central area and we just don't have any space to play in. How many times have I read on this forum, "We can't keep the ball", "we can't pass today". The main reason is because we haven't got an outlet ball and space to play him. And a wide player like Lennon would give us that.

His final ball is poor to say the least. He doesn't have any accuracy with his crossing. Although I do believe that Dalglish would help Lennon work on his final ball, training with players with fantastic delivery such as Gerrard will increase his accuracy. If he does improve his final ball, not to a Gerrard standard but to a consistent standard then we will have a top class winger on our hands. His pace and skill is unmatched in the league IMO. Walcott is similar in terms of pace and final ball but he doesn't have the skill Lennon has and he doesn't offer width like Lennon does, Walcott does get more goals though.

My favorite winger in the league Valencia, I think Lennon play a very similar style to him. A player who hugs the touchline, and all he does is whenever he gets the ball, he just runs down the wing and crosses. Also Valencia's crosses are exactly the same quality and style, so the receiver in the box should have a pretty good idea on what's coming into the box. All he goes is float it into the box for a player to head in. United get a lot of goals like that, and they haven't got any decent headers of the ball, imagine Carroll getting onto those crosses.

So he has the skill and pace to become a top class winger, if he improves his final ball then I think he would be an excellent player.

This.
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #139: Jun 26, 2011 08:48:23 pm
      No end product can not cross the ball for love nor money.Would be a waste of 20 million.think its just bullshit anyway.
      sirignano
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 307 posts |
      Reply #140: Jun 26, 2011 11:07:56 pm
      would have him and johnson as our wingers all day long
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #141: Jun 26, 2011 11:13:24 pm
      Could have sworn Lennon signed some massive contract extension - surely his buyout would be huge?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #142: Jun 26, 2011 11:21:04 pm
      Not worth £20million, would add pace but little else. No final ball, not much brain, and not who I was hoping for on the opposite wing to Downing (if we get Downing).

I think Kenny may be going for a Blackburn style team with two reasonably orthodox wingers as his plan "A", hopefully he will have a plan "B" and possibly a plan "C" as well.

Happy with Downing, not so happy with Lennon....

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #143: Jun 26, 2011 11:23:18 pm
      Not a fan.

He has pace to burn that's not in question but not sure his all round game is anywhere near as good as the likes of Downing or N'Zogbia.

If true would be interested to see what Kenny could do with him to add the football ability to his pace.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #144: Jun 26, 2011 11:27:44 pm
      Could have sworn Lennon signed some massive contract extension - surely his buyout would be huge?

Players in England don't have buy out clauses and secondly he signed a new contract in 2009, which ends in 2014.

I think it was Bale who you were thinking off who signed a contract extension in May which ends in 2015.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #145: Jun 26, 2011 11:29:58 pm
      Players in England don't have buy out clauses and secondly he signed a new contract in 2009, which ends in 2014.

A longer contract does increase their value in the transfer market though. Aaron Lennon with 1 year on his contract should in theory cost much less than the same player with 4 or 5 years on a contract so signing a new contract effectively increases any players buy out value.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #146: Jun 26, 2011 11:51:09 pm
      Still don't believe for one minute that this rumour has any real legs in it but must admit i'm a bit surprised at how much flak Lennon (or the thought of getting him) is getting on here. He's a good player and much better than anything we have got at the moment in wide areas. If I had to choose between Lennon and Downing it would be the Tottenham man for me. The two things we really lack going forward are pace and the ability to take players on. Suarez is the only one who offers any real threat going at players. Lennon brings both to the table, maybe his final ball isn't  as good as Downing's, i'm no expert although i doubt every poster in here has really watched and studied Lennon's game to be quite so definitive with their opinions of the lad in this area.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #147: Jun 26, 2011 11:54:55 pm
      ^ Great post. And spot on.
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #148: Jun 26, 2011 11:57:35 pm
      I did state a while ago about Lennon joining us, he is keen on the move i know, but like some of the other posters, i have my concerns about him.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #149: Jun 26, 2011 11:59:53 pm
      Still don't believe for one minute that this rumour has any real legs in it but must admit I'm a bit surprised at how much flak Lennon (or the thought of getting him) is getting on here. He's a good player and much better than anything we have got at the moment in wide areas. If I had to choose between Lennon and Downing it would be the Tottenham man for me.

I am not the biggest fan of Downing, but his footballing ability is vastly superior, compared to that headless chicken from Tottenham ...
      « Last Edit: Jun 27, 2011 12:43:28 am by Macedonian_Red »
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #150: Jun 27, 2011 12:25:39 am
      Still don't believe for one minute that this rumour has any real legs in it but must admit I'm a bit surprised at how much flak Lennon (or the thought of getting him) is getting on here. He's a good player and much better than anything we have got at the moment in wide areas. If I had to choose between Lennon and Downing it would be the Tottenham man for me. The two things we really lack going forward are pace and the ability to take players on. Suarez is the only one who offers any real threat going at players. Lennon brings both to the table, maybe his final ball isn't  as good as Downing's, I'm no expert although I doubt every poster in here has really watched and studied Lennon's game to be quite so definitive with their opinions of the lad in this area.

I think this applies to most players from other clubs, and especially the ones from abroad mate. Doesn't stop usme having opinions on their game.

I have seen Lennon play quite a few times (on TV) and while I can understand the attraction of blistering pace, he never seems able to pick out the pass or make the telling cross at the end of his run. Like Babel/Cisse he seems to lack the footballing brain to go with his undoubted speed.  

My own view is Kenny always seemed to like intelligent footballers rather than atheletes, I would suggest Downing falls into that category..... Lennon doesn't imo.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #151: Jun 27, 2011 12:30:58 am
      I have major concerns over Lennon. Fast and can beat anyone....but what use is that when you can't convert?
      The Last King of Scotland
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #152: Jun 27, 2011 01:22:37 am
      Is he even the third best player at Spurs?
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #153: Jun 27, 2011 01:47:47 am
      Still don't believe for one minute that this rumour has any real legs in it but must admit I'm a bit surprised at how much flak Lennon (or the thought of getting him) is getting on here. He's a good player and much better than anything we have got at the moment in wide areas. If I had to choose between Lennon and Downing it would be the Tottenham man for me. The two things we really lack going forward are pace and the ability to take players on. Suarez is the only one who offers any real threat going at players. Lennon brings both to the table, maybe his final ball isn't  as good as Downing's, I'm no expert although I doubt every poster in here has really watched and studied Lennon's game to be quite so definitive with their opinions of the lad in this area.

Good post...

Is he even the third best player at Spurs?

Yes..
      The Last King of Scotland
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #154: Jun 27, 2011 01:54:26 am

Modric
      Bale
      Van Der Vaart
      Dawson

Not for me he's not.
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #155: Jun 27, 2011 02:59:00 am
      As much as i agree with some of the valuations on this dude , i still think our squad is lacking in pure pace. Maybe Lennon could provide us with that pace and width , would only buy him if the price was right.
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #156: Jun 28, 2011 01:19:51 pm
      As somebody else put it recently, Kenny wants somebody to supply goals, not Usain Bolt.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #157: Jun 28, 2011 01:41:29 pm
      err this was random pub talk created by caughtoffside, and so it shall remain. spurs, the rip off merchants that are the home of over-valuations, will not sell lennon to us, and especially at that price. would be a good signing though
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #158: Jun 28, 2011 03:25:40 pm
      I'm not Aaron Lennon's biggest fan as I think he lacks consistency - blows really hot and cold -, but I agree with those who think he's generally too underestimated round here. People say 'is Downing better than what we already have? So let's have him'. Well, Lennon is better than what we have for the wings as well. He offers a different option, as an impact sub at the very least, and would give us much needed pace.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,907 posts | 4972 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #159: Jun 28, 2011 04:29:49 pm
      Not for me i'm afraid,ye he is quick very quick but as other posters have mentioned,he can have all the pace you need but he cant deliver that killer cross, if you think about it he hardly makes Spuds starting 11 so therefore wont make ours either, he is perfect as a impact sub coming on around the 70min mark and has provided the odd decent cross, but certainly not consistent enough, i would rather have the young lad Albrighton from Villa, he too has lots of pace and can provide that killer cross much better than Lennon, only my opinion of course.

IKWT   YNWA
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #160: Jun 28, 2011 07:56:35 pm
      for me he is a good player going forward  ...he is better than what we have at the wings. ...and I think that they will not even consider selling him

Quick Reply