Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Pepe Reina
      (0%)
      Fabio Aurelio
      (0%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (0.4%)
      Jamie Carragher
      (0%)
      John Flanagan
      (14.3%)
      Raul Meireles
      (0.9%)
      Lucas Leiva
      (2.7%)
      Jay Spearing
      (11.2%)
      Dirk Kuyt
      (26.9%)
      Luis Suarez
      (7.6%)
      Andy Carroll
      (35.9%)

Liverpool 3-0 Man City: In game and Post Match buzzing

Read 44505 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Liverpool 3-0 Man City: In game and Post Match buzzing
      Reply #529: Apr 12, 2011 12:02:16 pm
      I think the big difference between the two sides yesterday was that Liverpool played as a team,  Citeh played like 11 expensive individuals. 

I think Kuyt covered more ground than the entire Citeh forward line put together , Suarez was making runs left right and centre, while Carroll totally dominated the Citeh back line scoring two excellent goals.

In midfield where I had expected us to struggle we passed the ball quickly and effectively...... FORWARD. Not allowing the Citeh players to out muscle and dominate as they had last time we met. Spearing had a great game.

I would give Kuyt m.o.t.m. his hard work was overshadowed for once by his excellent linkup play with Suarez and a well taken goal was the icing on the cake.

Our defence coped easily with what little threat Citeh had to offer, and Reina could have watched a movie on his ipod while keep goal in the first half.

Flanagan looked calm and composed, passed and tackled well, followed the run of players and had a very impressive debut. 
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #530: Apr 12, 2011 12:22:38 pm
      Gave my man of the match vote to young John Flanagan. Making his first team debut against the same team responsible for probably our worst performance of the season at Eastlands. Knowing he was going up against Johnson, Silva and Milner. Yet he put in a performance that must have Kelly and Johnson more than a little nervous. Can you imagine the nerves that lad was feeling? Yet he took his chance where so many before him have failed, and looked far from out of place in that team! Well in lad keep it up!

Realistically though anyone who played last night has a just claim for motm! Reina kept a clean sheep and pulled off a very good save from Toure late on to keep it that way, yet he hasn't got 1 vote (yet).

Either has Aurelio who came back and put in a great wind display and looked like he'd never been out.

Skrtel and Carragher kept one of the most expensive attacks in world football quiet for nearly the whole match, yet Skrtel (so far) has1 vote and none for Carragher who showed why he's vice captain too!

Meireles is starting to adapt to his role on the left and put in a fine cross for Carrolls second. He was alert, involved in the build up play and strung a few quality passes together to open up City a bit more.

Lucas and Spearing against Toure and Barry? Potentially our undoing last nnight, but these two lads really stepped up and put it to City's central midfield. Their work rate and determination to get the ball back is the reason we had the chances we did!

Kuyt again showed us the Dirk Kuyt can can grab over 15 goals a season if he plays like that. Energetic as ever put with that ruthless mentality that screams attack. Another goal for himself as well which means he's level on goals this season with Torres and alot more likely to pass him out.

Suarez was seriously unlucky not to score, and he showed a work rate that even Kuyt struggled to compete with.  Great link up play, great pace, great passing and with a little bit more luck I would be saying great finishing! Showed that he's here for the team last night and that is as valuable as any goal for me.

And of course Carroll. Needless to say really, 2 goals, one belter, one pure determination to stick his head onto. Showing us that his fittness is on the up and god help every defence from now until the end of the season because this lad wants more!

And now for me to bring the mood down. 3-0 against City is only worth celebrating if we build on it! Its Arsenal next and I want to see the same huger and determination, because if we do then we're walking home with another 3 points and another handful of goals!
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #531: Apr 12, 2011 12:57:33 pm
      Great performance,selection,atmosphere.All round truly a night to savour. Now let's carry it on to Sunday and beyond. A strong finish to the season will bode well for the push next season and send out the message to the rest of the league that we mean business more than ever.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #532: Apr 12, 2011 01:01:39 pm
      Realistically though anyone who played last night has a just claim for motm! Reina kept a clean sheep and pulled off a very good save from Toure late on to keep it that way, yet he hasn't got 1 vote (yet).

I always feel it's important to keep your sheep clean  :lmao:
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,004 posts | 3351 
      Reply #533: Apr 12, 2011 01:04:44 pm
      These two goals for Carroll will of done him the world good, not only because he's finally off the mark but going into a game against Arsenal full of confidence. For all of Arsenal's pretty play, they can't win a header for sh*t at the back and a confident Carroll should have a field day in North London.

Still buzzing after yesterday's result as well. Haven't stopped talking about it with me boss all day. Not only did we F**k them over, but we proved we're not a one man team because we did it without our skipper. Not comparing Jay to Stevie, but I do think Spearing really stepped up to the plate to be the all round central midfielder yesterday. He was F***ing everywhere and destroying anything that got in his way.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #534: Apr 12, 2011 01:17:55 pm
      I always feel it's important to keep your sheep clean  :lmao:

Well now don't I feel like an idiot!  :lmao: Maybe thats why no one has voted him as motm yet? Poor sheep farming skills!
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #535: Apr 12, 2011 01:22:45 pm
      Still Buzzin now, a win like that makes the journey home all the sweeter.

Fantastic performance and atmosphere last night. Respect to the city Fans for the respect they showed both in their applause and silence for the fallen.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #536: Apr 12, 2011 01:29:27 pm
      Think I said it before, but Flanno, Spearing, Kuyt, Suarez and Carroll epitomised everything that Man City lacked. They fought for everything, worked hard and kept their discipline. The polar opposite of the City back line, who had no shape, desire or discipline.

You did us proud Redmen
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #537: Apr 12, 2011 01:54:40 pm
      Just say tough. Those cockney bas**rds ruined the day me mam was born in 71 by beating us in the FA Cup final. Charlie f**king George the little tw*t. So it's only right we ruin your missus' day.
      I was too young to remember the 65 final so the 71 was my first big final talk about heartbroken. When Steve Heighway scored we thought that was that.what people dont understand is back then the FA Cup was as big as the CL is now.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #538: Apr 12, 2011 01:54:48 pm
      Got this completely wrong, great team performance, it shows how important attitude and desire is these days. The strike partnership has excellant potential.

Gave Kuyt my man of the man he was tiresome and gave Flanagan the protection he needed, saying that Flanagan didn't put a foot wrong
      LFCkl
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 365 posts |
      Reply #539: Apr 12, 2011 02:01:46 pm
      Brilliant performance! Very happy for Carroll
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #540: Apr 12, 2011 02:01:51 pm
      I was too young to remember the 65 final so the 71 was my first big final talk about heartbroken. When Steve Heighway scored we thought that was that.what people dont understand is back then the FA Cup was as big as the CL is now.

Remember blarting like a fool that day.

God I remember the build ups to the cup they were very good, if you couldn't get a ticket deciding which channel you would watch BBC or ITV, the comic on the bus etc etc good old days.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,004 posts | 3351 
      Reply #541: Apr 12, 2011 02:08:29 pm

Not to worry though mate, cos Stevie Heighway scored again in 74 in another FA Cup final and that time we won it. Commentators words of Heighway one, Keegan two, Liverpool three, Newcastle none still makes me laugh every time I hear it.

Speaking of three nil wins with ex Newcastle players scoring twice - how about last night? That was a F***ing beast. ;D
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #542: Apr 12, 2011 02:12:28 pm
      Very impressed with Flannagan
      Andy did what he does best
      Midfield bossed
      Kuyt was the usual Duracell bunny
      Luis was all over the pitch and created havoc in Citys defenders.

Good overall performance, id give a minimum of 7 to every player
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #543: Apr 12, 2011 02:27:21 pm
      kuyt was MON - not only was he his usual 110% self he also showed nice touches, a few tricks & of course got that all important 2nd goal

carroll at last showed us what he can do - still some touches that fred west would be proud of though - hopefully he casn iron those out

flanegan - what a fantastic debut - gutted he isnt a left back! typical

& of course saurez once again showed his class

spearing prob worth a mention, not great going forward but had plenty of bite alongside lucas
      Lfcred92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 972 posts |
      Reply #544: Apr 12, 2011 03:27:29 pm
      absolutely brilliant game, so glad to see carroll get thoose goals, will lift some pressure off the lad
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #545: Apr 12, 2011 03:40:11 pm
      Well, what an unbelievable performance. Every single player looked like they were willing to pull their tripe out for the badge and we got exactly what we deserved.

Got to admit, I had my reservations about Flanagan starting but not because I was doubting his ability but because of what it may do to his confidence if he plays poorly. The lad never looked worried, not even once.  Carra warmed up separately with him which probably did alot to calm his nerves, not that he ever looked like he had any. So well played John, was gutted that the rest of the Kop didn't pick up on a few of us signing his name at one point.

I also think Fabio Aurelio was outstanding, hardly ever looked for that long ball thats been so wasteful recently, was a calm head and tried to play it short almost every single time.

Jay Spearing and Lucas were also outstanding, snapping into every tackle and showing the £200,000+ a week Yaya Toure that desire can go a long way to winning football matches.  Jay was my man of the match but there were many contenders, and to be fair anyone of the players could have warranted getting it.

Luis Suarez, what a player. With the powerful Carroll at the side of him winning everything it is indeed a formidable partnership. Definitely worth another mention that with our fullbacks trying to play it short and on the ground as much as possible it allowed the likes of Kuyt and Suarez to get in behind Man City time and time again. Mickey Scouse we have got Jack Robinson who many rate higher than Flanagan.

Its also great to see the opposition losing the plot, Milner crying off and Balotelli coming on as a sub and getting subbed, fantastic.

If we go out with that attitude week in week out we will win every single game until the end of the season and we will get 5th. Fantastic performance throughout, bring on the Arsenal.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #546: Apr 12, 2011 03:56:54 pm
      I couldn't watch it live but I got the 1st half in the replay. Had to go to sleep during half time though, as it was nearly 3 am then. But from what I saw, it was a fantastic performance indeed. Andy Carroll is a real target man, he has strengths Crouch can only dream about, to compare him with a player we recently had. His 2nd goal was an amazing header, from someone who really knows how to find the net with his head, different of Crouch who really infuriated me at times with his weak attempts in goal. I think it's pretty clear Suarez is a better player than Carroll but Andy could be extremely effective for us, not as great to watch but what a combination we have in our hands, a genius with the number 7 and a potent, powerful striker with the number 9. Happy days ahead.

And Dirk Kuyt showed again why I love him, he was everywhere.
      kornwall02
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 97 posts |
      Reply #547: Apr 12, 2011 04:03:09 pm
      i wanna watch that game again ;D wish i didnt delete it now.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #548: Apr 12, 2011 04:11:16 pm
      i wanna watch that game again ;D wish i didnt delete it now.

... Why would you delete it?
      Lethal Legacy
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts |
      Reply #549: Apr 12, 2011 04:45:59 pm
      Come on the lads!
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #550: Apr 12, 2011 04:46:36 pm
      Mickey Scouse we have got Jack Robinson who many rate higher than Flanagan.

ive seen many players rated & do well at lower levels. ive not seen many debut like flanagan. if robinson can perform like that then happy days. indeed if he is as good as some say then why hasnt he been given a chance yet? do you think we will see him this season?
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #551: Apr 12, 2011 04:54:33 pm
      Like Ive said in another post ..that was number 3 of the "top 4" since Kenny has been on board.
      So bring on the Arse. Lets make it no. 4.

Quick Reply