Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

The Offside Rule

Read 8331 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      The Offside Rule
      Apr 13, 2011 10:56:59 am
      Okay, I know what the offiside rule is but is the picture below considered an offside?

Hernandez's head was behind the last defender but his legs and body weren't. I know if a leg was behind, it's a definite offside but the head?

Commentator did mention that what causes a player to be offside is that a part of body that can score a goal is behind the last defender. What if someone scores with his arse cheek?  :lmao:

Also, we saw this in the 2008 European competition.

There is no doubt van Nistelrooy was behind nine Italian outfield players but he wasn't offside because he was played onside by the defender laying outside the pitch, beside the goal.

Is this all just luck to Chelsea and Netherlands or what? :laugh:
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Re: The Offside Rule
      Reply #1: Apr 13, 2011 11:10:36 am
      That first one isn't offside I think. What matters, or what should matter is where the feet are placed. But it's hard to see from this angle where his front foot is placed.

The Netherlands one isn't luck, it's actually in the rules. A player can't remove himself from the game, the ref has to whistle first.
      alexfrance
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 39 
      Reply #2: Apr 13, 2011 11:13:35 am
      Hernandez's head was behind the last defender but his legs and body weren't. I know if a leg was behind, it's a definite offside but the head?
      Yes he is offside, if any part of the body which can play the ball is beyond the last defender then the player is offside.
      If all is body apart from his arm was in front of the last defender they thats fine, because the arm can't play the ball.

There is no doubt van Nistelrooy was behind nine Italian outfield players but he wasn't offside because he was played onside by the defender laying outside the pitch, beside the goal.
      Any player who is off the pitch doesn't count, even if they are injured off the pitch the game carries on. I seem to remember in the Champions League that Drogba got "injured" and landed off the pitch, which he then decided to roll back on so he could stop the game and waste time for Chelsea.
      So by the player being off the pitch he is not involved in the game and van Nistelrooy is offside.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #3: Apr 13, 2011 11:16:53 am
      Ref gives it offside - it is; he doesn't - it's not. Them's the only 'rules' that matter sadly.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #4: Apr 13, 2011 11:24:00 am
      Any player who is off the pitch doesn't count, even if they are injured off the pitch the game carries on. I seem to remember in the Champions League that Drogba got "injured" and landed off the pitch, which he then decided to roll back on so he could stop the game and waste time for Chelsea.
      So by the player being off the pitch he is not involved in the game and van Nistelrooy is offside.
      No, that's not true. Ask the UEFA, they do make the rules afterall. I don't see how Drogba's example is even comparable. Refs always whistle for players who are injured on the pitch, simply because they interrupt gameplay, which they don't off the pitch.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #5: Apr 13, 2011 01:58:09 pm
      The update of the rule states that if any part of your body is closer to the opposition goal line than a defender when the ball is played then you are offside.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #6: Apr 14, 2011 08:12:34 am
      Ref gives it offside - it is; he doesn't - it's not. Them's the only 'rules' that matter sadly.
      Think this about sums it all up really
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #7: Apr 14, 2011 08:29:03 am
      The update of the rule states that if any part of your body is closer to the opposition goal line than a defender when the ball is played then you are offside.

Which is impossible for the linesman to determine hence we need technology.
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #8: Apr 14, 2011 10:21:17 am
      any ball playing part is deemed offside i think, not to sure could be any part of the body now. I think RVN is offiside as that player of the pitch isnt classed part off the game.
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #9: Apr 14, 2011 10:23:56 am
      Which is impossible for the linesman to determine hence we need technology.

no we dont, we just need to accept that linesmen & refs make mistakes just like players & managers.

yes we would all like evrything to be right 100% but its not & thats part of life as well as the game we love.

technology eh? so when do you stop the game to look? who deciedes that? after every little thing, once the balls in the net? where will it end & what if plays brought back only to find nothing wrong when it could have gone on resuklting in a goal....?

its a minefield.

just get on with iot, this is football------------------------not cricket
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #10: Apr 14, 2011 11:00:34 am
      Okay, I know what the offiside rule is but is the picture below considered an offside?

obviously not!
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #11: Apr 14, 2011 11:08:45 am

Obviously not to the picture or to me knowing the rule?
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #12: Apr 14, 2011 11:37:33 am
      Obviously not to the picture or to me knowing the rule?

knowing the rule
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #13: Apr 14, 2011 12:02:04 pm
      I think RVN is offiside as that player of the pitch isnt classed part off the game.
      Actually, the UEFA does consider him part of the game. Otherwise defenders could just step off the pitch to put players offside.

technology eh? so when do you stop the game to look? who deciedes that? after every little thing, once the balls in the net? where will it end & what if plays brought back only to find nothing wrong when it could have gone on resuklting in a goal....?

its a minefield.

just get on with iot, this is football------------------------not cricket
      Easy, when in doubt let them finish their chance and then look.
      « Last Edit: Apr 14, 2011 12:08:45 pm by Dexter »
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #14: Apr 14, 2011 12:08:05 pm
      Hernandez' upperbody is also behind the defender. So i'd say definitely offside
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,480 posts | 2862 
      Reply #15: Apr 14, 2011 12:09:04 pm
      We really need to simplify the rules.

Scrap the interfering with play thing, if you are in an offside position during an attack (regardless of whether you are involved in the attack itself) the flag should go up. Because the fact is you are interfering because the odds are that a defender is tracking you.

As for the two you brought up. Hernandez is offside. Head is past the line of the defender. Flag should go up. And the second one is baffling but still onside because if you said that defender wasn't involved in play then strikers would be off the pitch and just walk on to finish the chances (since they wouldn't be offside?)
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #16: Apr 14, 2011 12:14:18 pm
      Well, I've said it before, I think they should consider scratching the offside rule alltogether.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #17: Apr 14, 2011 12:20:41 pm
      Well, I've said it before, I think they should consider scratching the offside rule alltogether.

You want to go into a bit more depth on that?

Surely the game would be a complete mess if they got rid of it?

For set pieces like corners I could understand, it has no worth, but in open play I think it's really important.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #18: Apr 14, 2011 12:44:07 pm
      It would probably be a bit chaotic at first for everybody, but I don't think it will be once players and managers have adjusted. It will change the game to some extend, but I don't think in a bad way. I've heard people say before it will encourage hoofing, but I don't think that's the case. I actually think it would stretch the teams and create more space and give more attractive football, also more goals.
      « Last Edit: Apr 14, 2011 12:49:33 pm by Dexter »
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #19: Apr 14, 2011 12:47:51 pm
      Easy, when in doubt let them finish their chance and then look.

not so sure it is that easy, perhaps yes for when a goals scored & its been given on or off wrongly. are we saying its just for offsides? what about if it isnt still clear cut you dont agree with the 3rd official?

should offsides only be given (or not) once the balls in the back of the net then? what about phases of play that might have happened after the event being effected
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #20: Apr 14, 2011 12:48:56 pm

are you mike parry ;D

interesting concept. more space
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #21: Apr 14, 2011 01:03:16 pm
      not so sure it is that easy, perhaps yes for when a goals scored & its been given on or off wrongly. are we saying its just for offsides? what about if it isnt still clear cut you dont agree with the 3rd official?

should offsides only be given (or not) once the balls in the back of the net then? what about phases of play that might have happened after the event being effected
      Well, I guess you could also use it to check whether a goal actuallly when into the goal or not, or maybe to check if something is a penalty or not. But let's keep it on the offside subject for the sake of the argument. There will still be mistakes, it'll just tighten the margin alot.

And no, like I said, only use it in when in doubt. If the linesref is sure it's offside then he can call it right away like he does now. When in doubt he let's the ref and 4th official know. Let a 4th official watch the footage and and let him decide. With all the technology this would take seconds for the ref to know. Can't be that many phases of play after a few seconds. So I was wrong in saying to just wait untill the goal goes in, although in some cases this would be the case within a few seconds, the ref should stop the game as soon as he hears it was offside, unless by that time the opposition has the ball and the advantage is gone.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #22: Apr 15, 2011 11:46:48 am

Would it help encourage more women to watch football? :f_tongueincheek:

*sits back and waits for abuse from female forumites*

;)

Quick Reply