Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Vote for your man of the match.

Pepe Reina
      (16.8%)
      Jack Robinson
      (7.1%)
      Lucas Leiva
      (37.6%)
      Jay Spearing
      (34%)
      Dirk Kuyt
      (4.6%)

Arsenal 1-1 Liverpool: Post-match astonishment

Read 38767 times
      Andrei
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 149 posts |
      • I'll think about something.
      Re: Arsenal 1-1 Liverpool: Post-match astonishment
      Reply #552: Apr 17, 2011 09:13:47 pm
      Many lads deserved today's MOTM but I awarded mine to Pepe. Extremely important performance for our goalie.
      Too bad we lost our backs but it's also good to see the youngsters catching the first 11.
      Come on, redmen!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #553: Apr 17, 2011 09:23:20 pm
      No complaints from me today. Thought we went out with the right attitude and apart from some misplaced passes, the team done well.

Suarez wasn't his usual excellent self but he is only human. Thought his work rate was boss. Lucas was my man of the match though. He was like a fly in the ointment for Arsenal.

Wenger couldn't have any complaints in the latter stages of the game. Other than that flea in his ear from the King!
      Fowler kop hero
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      Reply #554: Apr 17, 2011 09:27:37 pm
      It feels weird not to see Suarez in the poll for motm. Didnt have his best day for sure but still he will shine the next day
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #555: Apr 17, 2011 09:38:45 pm
      To be honest we were lucky today. Arsenal should've took all 3 points and we rode our luck a little bit. However, if we look at it from OUR point of view, apart from Barcelona I can't think of a team that go to The Emirates and don't play counter attacking football. We defended well and Pepe had a good game. Flannagan and Robinson were smashing, two players to look out for in the years to come.

The midfield were good at breaking Arsenal down, credit to Lucas and my MOTM Spearing who I thought was great and Kuyt battled well, what a penalty he scored! Meireles wasn't great, but he's been fantastic in the run up to the game today so no worries there.

Upfront Suarez just had an off day, but he's in the same boat as Meireles. I still think we'll see the best from Carroll once we get wingers to cross balls in for him so until then I think he's made the most of the high balls. Hopefully his leg's alright, I scrunched up when I seen it.

Overall, a great result considering the youth we had in the squad. The main thing to take from today was how well the youngsters played, I'll be looking for those names in years to come! Well done lads!
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #556: Apr 17, 2011 09:39:09 pm
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #557: Apr 17, 2011 09:40:16 pm
      I thought we were comfortable, wouldn't say we were lucky barring 1 chance in the second half Arsenal created nothing. I thought for a team going for the title they were extremely poor
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #558: Apr 17, 2011 09:45:06 pm
      I thought we were comfortable, wouldn't say we were lucky barring 1 chance in the second half Arsenal created nothing. I thought for a team going for the title they were extremely poor

They were awful. We went there without our talismanic captain and played most of the game with 3rd choice, teenage full-backs.  They didn't get at them at all, many of their supposed stars were anonymous. They created very, very little the whole match.

Draw was the right result.
      welshy7777
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 155 posts |
      Reply #559: Apr 17, 2011 10:01:46 pm
      quality kenny mate ...''it was a pentalty..piss off'' av that arse ne your getting as bad as the Cnut down the 62 still i hope you stop the Manc T**TS
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #560: Apr 17, 2011 10:06:16 pm
      One thing's for sure. If NESV sign Kenny, the good times won't be long in coming back!
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #561: Apr 17, 2011 10:07:11 pm
      Wow, what a finish :) 1st half wasn't great. Thought the Arse shaded it. Last 15 mins though anyone could've snatched it. Equalising in the 100th minute is a new one on me! Class finish from Dirk (glad Suarez didn't take it).
      Thought our defense and midfield were excellent. Up front we misfired. Carroll wasn't really in the game and Suarez was wasteful of possession and chances, though he never shirks looking for the ball.
      Spearing was my MOTM. Even though he gave away the penalty, he was biting in all day. Really impressed with how he has come on. We've missed the Masch type in the middle but he's putting in some good shifts now. Lucas did really we too. Reina also made some important saves and was solid under crosses. Rookie fullbacks did themselves no harm.
      Hope Carra is OK. Only home, so haven't heard any news, or read back over this topic. The players looked concerned at the time, but did hear he was concious in the dressing room.
      And what about KK. Putting Wenger, the flouncing little tw*t, in his place. This man HAS to be the manager next year.
      And poor old Fabio. Can't see him at the club next season. Too many injury problems, I like him and think he could be a really good defender for us, but  he can't stay fit long enough to pin down a regular place.
      It was a draw that felt like a win :)
      Red Kenny
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 384 posts | 13 
      Reply #562: Apr 17, 2011 10:22:49 pm
      Great spirit from the lads today, to think that for a lot of the game, we had a left-back of 17 and right-back of 18 keeping Arsenal out was impressive. But have to say Spearing and Lucas put in some shift today, my heart went out to Jay when he conceded the penalty. But in the end justice was done, well in boys.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #563: Apr 17, 2011 10:23:24 pm
      Best game of the season. Was so nervous all throughout that. Deserved the draw.

Even though they did dominate the possession they created very little, expect for the Van Persie chance in the second half. Everything else they did was from set plays. Surprisingly poor from Arsenal when we had our entire back 4 injured and we had Flanagan and Robinson as our full backs, who both did very well.

We defended brilliantly from start to finish and Spearing and Lucas covered the back 4 expertly. Although they didn't help the attack much but they did their job and support the back 4. One tiny thing I disliked about them both was that every time either one of them had possession they passed it back towards the defense who just hoofed it towards the front men. Never passed it forwards.

Reina was my man of the match. Intercepted every cross and corner and was a real rock which gave the back 4 confidence. And when we needed him most he did a brilliant double save.

I was disappointed with Meireles today. Didn't really get his foot stuck in like Lucas or Spearing did and he didn't really start any attacks. Felt like a passenger all game.

I was also disappointed with Suarez too. He had a poor game, which is allowed because he's been brilliant since he's arrived but he was very selfish at times today. A couple of times he could have squared a ball which would be been a big chance then taking an optimistic shot from an acute angle. If we had Suarez playing anywhere near his best then I feel we would have won.

Both penatly's were correctly given although we should of had one in the first half.

Hope Carroll and Carragher come back soon. Both suffered awful looking injuries and luckily it doesn't seem to bad.  

Oh Wenger, piss off!
      « Last Edit: Apr 17, 2011 10:43:03 pm by lfc_ynwa »
      CtrlX
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 72 posts |
      Reply #564: Apr 17, 2011 11:00:55 pm
      Arsenal fans abusing Lucas on twitter....calling him diver n sh*t....you loosers gooners
      We should all send our best wishes to Lucas
      Ju
      • Forum David Johnson

• 220 posts |
      Reply #565: Apr 17, 2011 11:15:02 pm
      felt like a win in the end - yes! Derserve that point so much hats of to the lads hard fought. I knew aresnal would be looking for a penalty at the end, they were so flat at the end.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #566: Apr 17, 2011 11:28:14 pm
      Missed the game due to work and the highlights didn't really show much but great to see the young lads get their chance and play well by all accounts.

Lee Dixon was full of praise for them and in particular Flanagan's positioning sense at FB for such a young player.

Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #567: Apr 17, 2011 11:39:14 pm
      Kenny Dalglish - Piss Off

Facebook page

Luis Suarez
      Final crazy match in where we have fought for the three points. Hugs and encouragement for Carragher, I hope you are well.

Final loco en un partido dónde siempre peleamos para llevarnos los tres puntos. Un abrazo y mucho ánimo para Carragher, espero y deseo que esté bien.

HUGS ! ;D
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #568: Apr 17, 2011 11:56:15 pm
      Only saw the highlights but from what I saw it looked like a pretty strong performance from the lads again.

King Kenny is proving to everyone that he is the man to bring us back to the top.

Some great performances from the young lads too, the grit, quality & confidence from them is quite amazing considering. They have been given a chance and are taking it very well indeed.

As for KK taking no sh*t from that cheese eating surrender monkey, brilliant! Don't know what Wenger was having a go at him for anyway, it was purely down to the ref who made the decision(s), what did he think Kenny did that was to blame?

Can't wait till next season. If other teams/managers are getting pissed off with the way we are playing and the results we have been getting since Kenny to charge, imagine how they're going to feel next season. ;D
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #569: Apr 18, 2011 12:04:02 am
      Just able to post, watched this in a pub with my Arsenal supporting mates, what a crazy finish, went mad when we scored the pen. A real fighting perfomance from the lads today, midfield were top quality. Lucas MOTM with Spearing a close second.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #570: Apr 18, 2011 12:22:32 am
      It's been a hell of a long time since I celebrated a draw like that.

To concede in the 96th minute and charge up the pitch and attack like that, it's quite something. I'd have even said Liverpool a month ago wouldn't have attacked with such grit. It's what the Dalglish effect does. Makes the team fight, dig deep and above all do it as a team.

Give that man a 5 year deal now, there is no one better in the world to get Liverpool back to the top.
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #571: Apr 18, 2011 03:23:56 am
      From what i saw on footytube saurez and pepe had good games also flanagan and robinson didnt look out of place. really sad about carroll getting injured he could be out for the season.but we done a good job in breaking our curse at the emirates. we never give up thats what got us a point.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #572: Apr 18, 2011 03:30:50 am
      From what I saw on footytube saurez and pepe had good games also flanagan and robinson didnt look out of place. really sad about carroll getting injured he could be out for the season.but we done a good job in breaking our curse at the emirates. we never give up thats what got us a point.

Carroll was taken off as precaution.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,332 posts | 183 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #573: Apr 18, 2011 05:31:11 am
      I think Suarez is most brilliant when he plays more in the center of the field, but tody I saw him getting lost on the wing wayyy too much. He ain't a winger. Plus Meireles job in the creating area was piss poor...

My MOTM goes for Speareina.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #574: Apr 18, 2011 05:47:47 am
      Can't remember last time we had three teenagers on the pitch in a league game.

Lucas MOTM for me - and Kuty must have ice in his veins taking a 101st minute penalty.

Quick Reply