Read 10258 times
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Do we need a Left Back
      Apr 18, 2011 12:54:46 pm
      Having Johnson at Left Back would mean we would save money for bigger players and doesnt block the youth. It would work out well With Flanogan and Robinson as back ups. I think this league is to strong for Aurelio regarding injuries too tough on his body. If you think we need a proper left back i would pick Baines or Wendt only because Wendt is free and doesnt look bad. Im not to sure what to do with Johnson if we get a proper left back, do we sell him or keep him. Tough one. :mad:
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Re: Can Johnson do the Job as left back
      Reply #1: Apr 18, 2011 12:58:11 pm
      He can do the job, undoubtedly. But can someone else do a better job, I think so.
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Re: Can Johnson do the Job as left back
      Reply #2: Apr 18, 2011 01:01:58 pm
      Would prefer Johnson out of position at LB over Wendt, don't see how people rate him.
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Do we need a Left Back
      Reply #3: Apr 18, 2011 09:27:08 pm
      Lately we have seen two young players play as full back. Flanagan and Robinson. I think we should keep Johnson at Left back, sell Aurelio and have those two as back up would save us so much on more quality players e.g Sanchez, Hazard.
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Do we need a Left Back
      Reply #4: Apr 18, 2011 09:30:50 pm
      Quite Simply Yes we do.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #5: Apr 18, 2011 09:34:26 pm
      Absolutely we do!  The kids can't be expected to play every week yet.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #6: Apr 18, 2011 09:34:40 pm
      http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php?topic=37513.0

Is this not basically the same topic?  ???
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #7: Apr 18, 2011 09:46:18 pm
      Absolutely we do!  The kids can't be expected to play every week yet.

Settled then.  We need a new left footed LB :)
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #8: Apr 18, 2011 09:50:29 pm
      I think we do, but it will be harsh on the two of them. I think Johnson and Kelly will be ahead of Flanno and a new LB will be ahead of Robbo.

Will create good competition though.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #9: Apr 18, 2011 10:01:51 pm
      Yes, we do. Robinson and Flanagan, although impressive in their previous appearances, are not ready for regular first team football.

We need a solid LB to take the pressure of Robinson and allow him to come through in due course.
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #10: Apr 18, 2011 10:11:04 pm
      Wont we be blocking Flanagans chances. I guess when Johnson is 30 Flanagan would be around 21 ready for second choice. I just cant see us having 2 quality RB unless Kelly moved into CB role.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,201 posts | 3391 
      Reply #11: Apr 18, 2011 10:29:19 pm
      Aurelio and Robinson or one of the following Kelly, Johnson, Wilson, Agger and push come to shove Carra. Fair enough four natural centre halves and one natural right back as your options to play left back aren't ideal but it is one position we have plenty of cover in, especially considering Insua, though his contract is up this summer I think, returns from loan at the end of the season.

Going with NESV's belief in youth and Kenny's promotion of youth players, the young Argentine could find himself back in the pecking order as well.

So basically, I don't think we should be overspending on a left back and ensuring we buy one shouldn't be the difference between us signing a top class winger and another ordinary one. Left winger is a bigger priority than left back at the minute as is the right wing and for me so is a good dependable centre forward to come in when injuries hit Carroll or Suarez. If a good enough left back becomes available for a decent price, fair enough but lets not be stupid and splash like 15 million out on a pretty average full back.

As it is, I'd keep Johnson on the left and Kelly on the right. Think it's when we've played our best football this year and keep Flanno (Kelly) and Robbo (Johnson) as back up.

But I'm sure Kenny has already started thinking about who we need and where we need to strengthen so we'll see come the summer. Until then, we've got a handful of games left to go out and win and for certain players to further enhance their chances of getting more games next year regardless of signings.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #12: Apr 19, 2011 12:16:19 am
      Aurelio and Robinson or one of the following Kelly, Johnson, Wilson, Agger and push come to shove Carra. Fair enough four natural centre halves and one natural right back as your options to play left back aren't ideal but it is one position we have plenty of cover in, especially considering Insua, though his contract is up this summer I think, returns from loan at the end of the season.

Going with NESV's belief in youth and Kenny's promotion of youth players, the young Argentine could find himself back in the pecking order as well.

So basically, I don't think we should be overspending on a left back and ensuring we buy one shouldn't be the difference between us signing a top class winger and another ordinary one. Left winger is a bigger priority than left back at the minute as is the right wing and for me so is a good dependable centre forward to come in when injuries hit Carroll or Suarez. If a good enough left back becomes available for a decent price, fair enough but lets not be stupid and splash like 15 million out on a pretty average full back.

As it is, I'd keep Johnson on the left and Kelly on the right. Think it's when we've played our best football this year and keep Flanno (Kelly) and Robbo (Johnson) as back up.

But I'm sure Kenny has already started thinking about who we need and where we need to strengthen so we'll see come the summer. Until then, we've got a handful of games left to go out and win and for certain players to further enhance their chances of getting more games next year regardless of signings.
      About right Billy,first and second choices already nailed on.Spend the money where it's needed,width with pace in midfield,a top quality centre back,then a mother f*cker back up striker,assuming Stevie G is back,otherwise,break the bank to find a replacement
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #13: Apr 19, 2011 12:47:56 am
      This thread is about a left back so why does Flanagan's name keep being mentioned? To answer the thread question, of course we do, how is a 17 year old meant to perform week in, week out - would be unfair on the young lad and very unprofessional of the management team to expect him to do so especially with how injury prone Aurelio is. A new left back, let Aurelio go and have Robinson as second choice.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #14: Apr 19, 2011 12:51:14 am
      Yes. Aurelio is on the way out :( leaving Johnson, Insua and Robinson. None of them are experienced enough to last a strong season at a high enough standard at LB. Johnson is a right full.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #15: Apr 19, 2011 12:56:08 am
      We all seen what a difference playing week in and week out over the course of a full season can do to a youngster with Insua do we want to repeat that risk ?

Kelly/Johnson/Flanagan RB  New left back/Insua/Robinson left back.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #16: Apr 19, 2011 01:00:30 am
      Actually still think we need a new Left back unless Aurelio can promise he won't get injured!

Johnson/Kelly/Flanagan at right back is already good enough.

Aurelio/Insua/Robinson doesn't sound too bad but Aurelio gets injured often.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,516 posts | 2873 
      Reply #17: Apr 19, 2011 01:52:19 am
      We won't be buying a top class, young full back from Comolli's latest quotes.

So rule out someone like Cissokho or Baines. Maybe someone older who will eventually make way for Robinson.

IMO though, I'm now struggling to see a need for a left back.

Johnson should be first choice (was very good there), Insua and Robinson as back up.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #18: Apr 19, 2011 01:59:16 am
      Are we getting ahead of ourselves? Like Robinson has still played less than 90minutes first team football and we are saying that he will do as a squad player. He won't. Next season he will be on loan at best, and the season after again. He is 3 seasons off of first team football at Liverpool IMO. The lad is only 17 like! 

Yes we have to get a proper, good, experienced LB in. Just because Robinson had a great (proper) debut and has potential does not mean we should not be buying a new LB in the summer. I don't mean to be harsh on the guy but he came in because of an injury crisis.

some people need to get a grip. He is a few years away from first team football and buying a player for LB will not stunt his growth or slow him down. Why throw him in too deep too early.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #19: Apr 19, 2011 04:29:30 am
      Are we getting ahead of ourselves? Like Robinson has still played less than 90minutes first team football and we are saying that he will do as a squad player. He won't. Next season he will be on loan at best, and the season after again. He is 3 seasons off of first team football at Liverpool IMO. The lad is only 17 like! 

Yes we have to get a proper, good, experienced LB in. Just because Robinson had a great (proper) debut and has potential does not mean we should not be buying a new LB in the summer. I don't mean to be harsh on the guy but he came in because of an injury crisis.

some people need to get a grip. He is a few years away from first team football and buying a player for LB will not stunt his growth or slow him down. Why throw him in too deep too early.

Age doesn't matter IMO. Everyone should earn their spot from their performances regardless of their age. But I do feel he isn't ready yet. What I would do is resign Insua as backup LB and sign Enrique. Loan out Robinson to a lower Premiere league team for match experience.
      MaxC
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 504 posts | 15 
      Reply #20: Apr 19, 2011 06:24:29 am
      It depends on whether Robinson has the mentality. As everybody knows the top players mature very early and become household names by the time they are 19-20. Robinson surely has the pace and the defensive attributes and composure to make the left spot his own. But it will really come down to his mentality. And of course it also depends on the manager and if he has such faith on Robinson to do the job. On the evidence of the display against arguably the quickest albeit one dimension RW in the world Robbo does have some serious potential. Let him have the LB position for the rest of the season and then we shall see his mettle. But he does need a proper test against a really tricky winger with a decent delivery and theo walcott is not that RW.
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 761 posts | 40 
      Reply #21: Apr 19, 2011 08:50:04 am
      Yes we do!with all due respect to the young lad's, who have impressed me immensley by the way. We really do need a world class left back who can make the position for years to come.Johnson has done really well there and Aurelio is fine when fit but he can't seem to stay fit for more than two games at a time.In my opinion it is the most important position to sort out.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #22: Apr 19, 2011 09:16:36 am
       If Aurelio was not injury prone my answer would be no we do not need a left back but he is injury prone and that is the reason we let him go last season.As regards the young lads they cannot be expected to keep up the standards they have shown in the last couple of games and should be played on a horses for courses basis.I recall Houllier resting Stevie Gerrard when Stevie was younger because of injuries and to prevent burn out.

Quick Reply