Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Rafa to chelsea?

Read 9742 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Rafa to chelsea?
      Apr 23, 2011 11:43:02 am
      Rafael Benítez ready to step into Carlo Ancelotti's Chelsea boots
      Rafael Benítez will express an interest in managing Chelsea if Roman Abramovich, as anticipated, opts to part company with Carlo Ancelotti this summer.

The Spaniard, who spent six years at Liverpool and claimed the 2005 European Cup, has been out of work since being sacked by Internazionale in December after a disappointing six-month spell at San Siro. He has since returned to live on Merseyside and last week publicly expressed an interest in returning to management in the Premier League.

Chelsea would offer him an attractive opportunity at a club competing in the Champions League – the Londoners still harbour some hopes of retaining their league title – and the 51-year-old is understood to be keen to be considered should Ancelotti's two-year period in charge end next month. Abramovich and the club's chief executive, Ron Gourlay, will be aware of his interest but will not make a decision on the Italian's future before the end of the current campaign.

Benítez would represent a high-calibre candidate for the position given his availability and desire to work in England – "If I have good offers from abroad it will be OK, but my priority is to return to the Premier league," he said earlier this month – with his relationship with Fernando Torres, whom he originally signed for Liverpool from Atlético Madrid, being a further attraction. The pair remain in contact, with Benítez having suggested recently that the £50m forward, who has yet to score for Chelsea, would benefit from working with a Spanish manager.

Whether the Londoners' supporters would take as keenly to Benítez's potential candidature is more open to question given the fractious nature of games between Chelsea, particularly under José Mourinho, and Liverpool during his time on Merseyside. Yet Abramovich may consider the Spaniard's record in Europe – he also won a Uefa Cup with Valencia and lost to Ancelotti's Milan in the final of the 2007 Champions League – as compelling.

The lack of credible candidates to replace Ancelotti, particularly with Guus Hiddink unlikely to be considered for the managerial position, could yet lead to the Italian seeing out the final year of his contract at Stamford Bridge. The incumbent would like to remain at the club and his prospects would be enhanced should Chelsea extend their recent form.

Ancelotti, whose team entertain West Ham United tomorrow evening, remains only cautiously optimistic that the Premier League title can still be retained despite a run of six wins in seven matches that has seen Chelsea vault Arsenal into second place, albeit still six points from the summit. The Londoners are still to visit Old Trafford and will hope that United may yet be distracted by their imminent participation in the Champion League semi-finals against Schalke, and potentially a subsequent final, though Ancelotti is realistic.

"If we want to have a chance we have to think that we have to win every game," Ancelotti said. "We have to be honest with ourselves. I would like to be in United's position, six points ahead, because if they do not lose total control they will win [the title]. The title is in their hands – we have to be honest about that – but we also have to believe that we can win every game left, including at Old Trafford like we did last year.

"And our moment is good. It has been in the league, but also in the last 16 of the Champions League against Copenhagen it was good. We could have done better against United (in the quarter-finals), and we were close to doing better. But the team started to play well when we recovered our important players. When they came back to be fit, the team has started playing well again."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/apr/22/chelsea-rafael-benitez-carlo-ancelotti
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Re: Rafa to chelsea?
      Reply #1: Apr 23, 2011 07:39:13 pm
      Would be upset if he did this, but can't expect him to put his life on hold till a suitable position becomes available at Anfield.  I wish him well if this is what he decides, love Rafa and nothing will change that.
      JoeyLFC
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 520 posts |
      Reply #2: Apr 23, 2011 07:43:16 pm
      He has always had respect for us, so I don't personally see it happening, but if it did, I wouldn't hold it against him. He will always respect us whenever we meet, so it doesn't worry me.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,974 posts | 237 
      Reply #3: Apr 23, 2011 07:48:54 pm
      If he did , he will bring the best out of el ninny. I can see him rebuilding a Chelski around El basterdo..
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #4: Apr 23, 2011 07:57:13 pm
      Bets of luck to him if he does, My opinion of the man will not change one iota.

The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #5: Apr 23, 2011 07:59:53 pm
      The Chavs wouldn't have him, they love their "fat Spanish waiter" chant. Plus Rafa has shown he won't put up with owners interfering with his business! But if Abromovich wants the Champions League then thee's no better man.
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #6: Apr 23, 2011 08:04:16 pm
      Wouldn't last two minutes.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #7: Apr 23, 2011 09:02:20 pm
      Why would people be disapointed? He has a life beyond Liverpool, like Liverpool has a life beyond him. He would be very good at Chelsea if Roman backs him and stays the F**k out of team affairs.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2766 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #8: Apr 23, 2011 09:48:44 pm
      How would him taking the Chelsea job be disrespectful to us?
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #9: Apr 23, 2011 09:54:41 pm
      Best of luck to him if he does take the jon. After all, he is a football manager and managing is his job. My opinion of him won't change.

He has Liverpool in his heart and I believe he will only never manage Manchester United and Everton.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #10: Apr 23, 2011 10:01:52 pm
      If he took the Chelsea job I would not lose any love or respect for him.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #11: Apr 23, 2011 10:04:50 pm
      If he took the Chelsea job I would not lose any love or respect for him.

Me neither you only have to look at the academy to see the parting gifts he left us.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #12: Apr 23, 2011 10:08:28 pm
      Have to say me neither, top man and top manager and I bet if he came back with Chelsea he would get a great reception
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #13: Apr 23, 2011 10:09:02 pm
      Have to say me neither, top man and top manager and I bet if he came back with Chelsea he would get a great reception

He would indeed. He would indeed.
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #14: Apr 23, 2011 10:51:47 pm
      All the best to him if he does go. The difference from Rafa and Torres is that Rafa didn't try to leave us in the sh*t, and still takes an interest in the club. No love lost to Rafa if he does go.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #15: Apr 23, 2011 10:58:08 pm
      Good luck to Rafa if he does get the job. He obviously wants to get back into management and I have a feeling he would do very well at Chelsea.

Bullsh*t. I'd bet my house that if he did get the job he would win a fair few trophies and maybe the European Cup Abramovich craves so much.

Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #16: Apr 23, 2011 11:14:04 pm
      No reason to think he wouldn't be interested. He's made it known, he would never go to Everton and United. Which is clear. If he went to Chelsea, he would be welcomed back at Anfield without a doubt.

Top man, top manager.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #17: Apr 24, 2011 12:05:44 am
      I'd wish him all the best, apart from the 180 minutes a year we meet in the league + any cup games.

The man had his flaws, which have been discussed to death, but he cared for this club and took the city to his heart.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #18: Apr 24, 2011 12:16:29 am
      Im sure mascherano was linked with chelsea too? Would be a potent reunion with rafa, torres and mascherano.

I wish the boss all the best if he does end up and the bridge and i bear no ill feeling in any shape or form to a man who has left kenny with a solid foundation to re build a team to mount an assault on the leauge next season.

On a seperate note when rafa got the reception he did at the hillsborough memorial last week the emotion he showed was a farewell to us and a closure for all concerned.

All i have is respect for an anfield managerial legend.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,689 posts | 6692 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #19: Apr 24, 2011 12:41:21 am
      Ih he does go there, I wouldn't hold it against him either.

One thing guaranteed is that he will get the backing financially that he has craved for so long, that he didn't get at Liverpool or Inter. Imagine what he'd do with funds to play with. Hang on, there's a whole topic on that question, isn't there?  ;)
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #20: Apr 24, 2011 12:42:32 am
      If he goes to Chelsea, I wish him all the best.

Which is at best a second place finish as Kenny and the Reds will be occupying first.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,689 posts | 6692 
      Reply #21: Apr 24, 2011 12:44:00 am
      Eem, of course we'd wish him all the best but we still want to do the double over them every season.  ;)
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #22: Apr 24, 2011 01:41:46 am
      We wish Rafa the best but Torres is a c**t for joining rivals??
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #23: Apr 24, 2011 01:44:16 am

It's the way Torres went about getting his dream move to a 'big club', not so much the club he went to for me.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #24: Apr 24, 2011 01:51:59 am

How can't you see the difference?!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #25: Apr 24, 2011 01:55:10 am
      How can't you see the difference?!

Are you saying rafa would be a c**t for joining chelsea?
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #26: Apr 24, 2011 02:30:18 am

Couple days left in the transfer window, handing in a request, leaving us in a bad position, talking bad about the club.

That's the difference, you must be joking though
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #27: Apr 24, 2011 02:41:23 am
      Im sure mascherano was linked with chelsea too? Would be a potent reunion with rafa, torres and mascherano.

I wish the boss all the best if he does end up and the bridge and I bear no ill feeling in any shape or form to a man who has left kenny with a solid foundation to re build a team to mount an assault on the leauge next season.

On a seperate note when rafa got the reception he did at the hillsborough memorial last week the emotion he showed was a farewell to us and a closure for all concerned.

All I have is respect for an anfield managerial legend.

I wouldn't say that. I believe he'll be back in some capacity. If it was a farewell it was certainly a 'farewell for now'!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #28: Apr 24, 2011 03:18:19 am

Rafa is a free agent, Torres belonged to Liverpool. Rafa would never have willingly left Liverpool for Chelsea if he was still with us.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #29: Apr 24, 2011 08:07:00 am
      He wouldn't do that too us and he lives in and calls The Wirral his home so he won't be too far from here I think.

What does anyone reckon about Rafa to Blackburn??
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #30: Apr 24, 2011 08:43:32 am
      I wouldn't have a problem with him if he joined Chelsea. But frankly I just can't see this happening. No way Chelsea will appoint him.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #31: Apr 24, 2011 09:09:30 am
      The man has bills to pay just like the rest of us! If he's offered the job, I would have no problem with him taking it. He can't be expected to just sit around waiting for another chance to manage Liverpool.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #32: Apr 24, 2011 10:16:43 am
      He wouldn't do that too us and he lives in and calls The Wirral his home so he won't be too far from here I think.

What does anyone reckon about Rafa to Blackburn??

You got more chance of a duet christmas number 1 from micheal jackson and elvis.
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #33: Apr 24, 2011 11:20:50 am
      I don't think it would happen tbh, but if he was offered the job and he accepted I'll wish him all the best.

YNWA, Rafa.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #34: Apr 24, 2011 01:34:15 pm
      Remember Chelsea are only our rivals (loose use of the word there) because of Rafa so I'm not too bothered.  Best of luck to him wherever he goes.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      Reply #35: Apr 24, 2011 01:53:28 pm
      Truth is, can't see this happening. He & Abranovich, like fire & ice. they will crush.

But if that is the case, my best wishes to him.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #36: Apr 24, 2011 03:32:05 pm
      The man has bills to pay just like the rest of us! If he's offered the job, I would have no problem with him taking it. He can't be expected to just sit around waiting for another chance to manage Liverpool.

I don't have much knowledge of the topic, but I think the cumulative pay-off he received from us and Inter should more than pay off his bills. :D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #37: Apr 24, 2011 05:38:19 pm
      This wont happen in a million years!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #38: Apr 24, 2011 08:24:16 pm

Until he won games, then he'll be THE greatest manager ever according to Sky.
      albertared
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts | 11 
      Reply #39: Apr 28, 2011 10:35:58 pm
      If he did , he will bring the best out of el ninny. I can see him rebuilding a Chelski around El basterdo..

Torres has gone and, more to the point, has lost the punishing burst of speed he once had and will never be as good as he once was. Even saying that, at his VERY BEST he was still utter crap in any game where the opposition shut down all his space. Rafa even commented how difficult it was for him.

So, Rafa to Chelsea makes sense but Torres will only ever be "decent" from this point forward (my opinion only, obviously could be wrong) and with his fitness record, money-grabbing sulky persona methinks you DO NOT build a team around him.
      albertared
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts | 11 
      Reply #40: Apr 28, 2011 10:40:02 pm
      Rafa probably wouldn't go to Chelsea as a prime choice but how many decent options is he going to have?

Unless John Henry does the unthinkable and brings him back (unthinkable only in the sense that Kenny is doing well and I can't see Rafa tolerating Comelli so it could be pretty disruptive) I wouldn't blame Rafa for going to Chelsea. Why not? He is a professional and wants to work for a top club.

That said, Man City might be open too so let's just watch and wait.
      albertared
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts | 11 
      Reply #41: Apr 28, 2011 10:41:00 pm
      Another thought, Real Madrid may well be heaving Maureen out so that could be an option for him too.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #42: Apr 28, 2011 11:00:58 pm
      Been told Man City have Rafa on their Radar, but they will allow Mancini to stay if he gets a top 4 finish or wins the cup.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #43: Apr 28, 2011 11:04:43 pm
      Been told Man City have Rafa on their Radar, but they will allow Mancini to stay if he gets a top 4 finish or wins the cup.

Villa could be the dark horse's for his signature,lerner is a very good chairman who will support his manager in the market.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #44: Apr 28, 2011 11:09:42 pm
      Don't know Shabs just passing on what I've been told.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #45: Apr 28, 2011 11:21:52 pm
      Don't know Shabs just passing on what I've been told.

Bloody sad day to see rafa at citeh to be honest as we all know he will just make them stronger.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #46: Apr 28, 2011 11:29:03 pm
      Bloody sad day to see rafa at citeh to be honest as we all know he will just make them stronger.

Same would apply at Chelsea to be honest, Majority of that Chelsea squad are well drilled robots from Maureens time, so they'd have no problem adjusting to Rafa's methods.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #47: Apr 28, 2011 11:29:49 pm
      Same would apply at Chelsea to be honest, Majority of that Chelsea squad are well drilled robots from Maureens time, so they'd have no problem adjusting to Rafa's methods.

Apart from Benayoun.  :P
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,196 posts | 913 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #48: Apr 29, 2011 09:26:41 pm
      Rafa owes us nothing, just lost a battle at the wrong time, where ever he goes i wish him well.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #49: Apr 30, 2011 10:41:06 am
       I cannot see RAFA going to Chelsea,after putting up with backstabbing and meddling owners (Hicks and Gillett )he would not compromise himself with Ambromovich.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #50: Apr 30, 2011 10:48:53 am
      Unless Abramovich has changed his outlook on Chelsea and wants to create a long term future from the Academy up I don't think Rafa would go. Rafa said he (they) want a project, he wants to build a team.

Abramovich wants his Faberge Egg that is the CL trophy and has spent an absolute fortune in his pursuit of it. It's an obsession with the man, whether he promises the world to Rafa in his pursuit of it is a completely different matter.

Quick Reply