Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Phil Jones (Blackburn Rovers)

Read 65223 times
      Iano92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 958 posts |
      Phil Jones (Blackburn Rovers)
      Apr 27, 2011 10:58:54 am
      Kenny Dalglish is poised to go head to head with Alex Ferguson as the battle to sign Blackburn centre-back Phil Jones intensifies.

Most Recent Gossip Houllier encouraged by recovery Jones target for Dalglish King Kenny to Sir Kenny Liverpool begin talks for winger Liverpool linked with Lee and Clichy Liverpool's caretaker-boss Dalglish was at Ewood Park on Monday and saw £15million-rated Jones impress despite the 1-0 defeat by Manchester City.

Jones, 19, has emerged as one of the hottest properties in English football and has been likened to England and Chelsea captain John Terry by former Blackburn manager Sam Allardyce.

Arsenal had a firm bid of £9 million rejected last summer and Blackburn's hopes of hanging on to him will be diminished if they are relegated.

Manchester United manager Ferguson made initial enquiries at the end of last season about the defender, who signed a new contract in February which runs until 2016, with a view to following up his interest this summer.

Liverpool's need for defensive reinforcements is growing, with Daniel Agger's recurring injury problems a concern and with Sotirios Kyrgiakos likely to leave.

Dalglish has also checked on Bolton's Gary Cahill and Paris St Germain's Mamadou Sakho, but left Blackburn after 80 minutes encouraged by Jones' display.

Blackburn boss Steve Kean is adamant that the club is under no pressure to sell following the takeover by Indian firm Venkys, but their resolve will be undermined if they are relegated to the Championship.

Pepe Reina, meanwhile, has given the clearest indication yet that he will remain at Liverpool.

Goalkeeper Reina believes Liverpool can challenge for the Premier League title within two years after being buoyed by the transformation in the club's fortunes under Dalglish and new owners the Fenway Sports Group.
      http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/media-watch/jones-target-for-dalglish
      Aspi
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 156 posts |
      Re: Phil Jones (Blackburn Rovers)
      Reply #1: Apr 27, 2011 11:04:14 am
      Looks a quality prospect this lad...altho heard £15-£20m being talked about and not too sure whether that could be spent better elsewhere.

That said, he is a young english lad so that often inflates the price!
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #2: Apr 27, 2011 12:55:58 pm
      He was my favorite to get here before we got Wilson. Think he's a really good prospect, haven't seen enough of him this season though. Saw him in some games last season and he was perfect, remember him getting MOTM against manure. A 'young John Terry' for me, very solid at the back beyond his age.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #3: Apr 27, 2011 04:08:33 pm
      A young John Terry is right. A good prospect. I'd be happy to let him ply his trade here.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #4: Apr 27, 2011 04:10:37 pm
      A young John Terry is right. A good prospect. I'd be happy to let him ply his trade here.

If he's anything like John Terry he'll be more than plying his trade here if he we get him. ;D
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #5: Apr 27, 2011 04:18:28 pm
      Wouldn't he completely stifle Kelly or Wilson's development? My opinion is that Kelly's future is at CB, not RB and buying Jones would put him lower down the pecking order. Having said that this guy does look like a good talent, was very impressed with how composed he is on the ball. He can also play defensive mid, isn't that right?
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #6: Apr 27, 2011 04:22:17 pm
      If he's anything like John Terry he'll be more than plying his trade here if he we get him. ;D

The lads have been getting too chummy lately I think. I bet Suarez, Maxi and Lucas will rethink family barbecues with the wives. :)
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,154 posts | 259 
      Reply #7: Apr 27, 2011 05:58:53 pm
      :D  ;D  :lmao:

Never see him play but £15 million for 19 years old CB I hope we can do better than that.

Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #8: Apr 27, 2011 10:51:15 pm
      Wouldn't he completely stifle Kelly or Wilson's development? My opinion is that Kelly's future is at CB, not RB and buying Jones would put him lower down the pecking order. Having said that this guy does look like a good talent, was very impressed with how composed he is on the ball. He can also play defensive mid, isn't that right?
      To be honest, If he would stifle Kelly and Wilson's development it would be because he's better, if he's better than whats the problem, can't have sentiment because Kelly is local, if Jones is better than I'd be happy with him in our team at Kelly's expense.
      Burdogcallingbat21
      • Banned

• 692 posts | 38 
      Reply #9: Apr 27, 2011 11:06:49 pm
      To be honest, If he would stifle Kelly and Wilson's development it would be because he's better, if he's better than whats the problem, can't have sentiment because Kelly is local, if Jones is better than I'd be happy with him in our team at Kelly's expense.

No offence but my own personal opinion of wilson isn't pretty. Looks an awful player. lacks pace too.
      Iano92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 958 posts |
      Reply #10: Apr 30, 2011 10:00:15 pm
      Kenny at Blackburn match again today. Make of that what you will.............
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #11: May 01, 2011 01:00:19 am

Tottenham set to battle Liverpool for Phil Jones

Published 22:59 30/04/11

Tottenham will fight Liverpool for Blackburn defensive starlet Phil Jones.

Spurs boss Harry Redknapp is a major admirer of Jones and sent top spy Ian Bloomfield to watch the England Under-21 ace against Manchester City last week.

Now he is waiting to get the nod from chairman Daniel Levy to make a bid.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Tottenham-set-to-battle-Liverpool-for-Blackburn-star-Phil-Jones-article730163.html
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #12: May 01, 2011 05:24:21 pm
      Tottenham set to battle Liverpool for Phil Jones

Published 22:59 30/04/11

Tottenham will fight Liverpool for Blackburn defensive starlet Phil Jones.

Spurs boss Harry Redknapp is a major admirer of Jones and sent top spy Ian Bloomfield to watch the England Under-21 ace against Manchester City last week.

Now he is waiting to get the nod from chairman Daniel Levy to make a bid.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Tottenham-set-to-battle-Liverpool-for-Blackburn-star-Phil-Jones-article730163.html

Spurs' excellent scouting policy of going after players we are linked to right there.
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #13: May 01, 2011 08:15:02 pm
      Great prospect this lad would be made up if we got him
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #14: May 01, 2011 11:17:14 pm
      Spurs' excellent scouting policy of going after players we are linked to right there.

Redknapp doesn't have a scouting policy. He just opens the newspaper and looks who everyone else is linked with and tries to buy them regardless if he needs them or not.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #15: May 01, 2011 11:23:51 pm
      I don't know if this had been considered, but maybe we copy Spurs scouting system? I'm sure Spurs fans think that.

Phil Jones is an amazing defender IMO. He seems just a complete player already. Seems like a young Carragher but with slightly better distribution. In a few years time he'll be one of the best defenders in the world IMO. Would be a fantastic signing, hopefully we an cherry pick him from Blackburn if they get relegated.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #16: May 01, 2011 11:40:50 pm
      I don't know if this had been considered, but maybe we copy Spurs scouting system?

You've nailed it, well done.  :gt-happyup:

This post may contain vast amounts of sarcasm.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #17: May 01, 2011 11:47:24 pm
      If we were to spend 15mill on any central defender I would prefer us going for Cahill. An already established and hugely impressive player who I think would dove tail with Agger (if fully fit for a season) perfectly.
      Jones is a great prospect and is different to any of our current defenders but I would rather cahill.
      Also, let's not forget Ayala who I think has grown massively on loan this season. A very classy type with elements of Hansen about him. Not a bad mentor I reckon!
      I would like to see Wilson given a season on loan next season to get some proper toughness and to see kelly come in to give carra a break at times next season.

Its just great to be linked with proper players again and actually believe we could afford and attract them.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #18: May 02, 2011 02:44:35 am

They do it all the time do Spurs. Even every player Arsenal are chasing and have found Spurs always poke their nose in. They've got no credibility in their hunt for players at all.
      Cuttsy888
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 295 posts |
      Reply #19: May 02, 2011 03:09:24 am

No offence but my own personal opinion of wilson isn't pretty. Looks an awful player. lacks pace too.

when hes played at CB he has looked fine but at cover for left back he has no clue, should loan him out
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #20: May 02, 2011 04:42:07 pm
      I don't know if this had been considered, but maybe we copy Spurs scouting system? I'm sure Spurs fans think that.

Yeah, thats what Commoli gets paid millions each year for.  :nod:
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #21: May 05, 2011 12:10:44 am

Arsenal's 'pretty' style catches the eye of highly-rated young Jones

By David Fearnhead
      Thursday, 5 May 2011

Phil Jones, Blackburn's much-touted teenage defender, has given the biggest hint yet as to where his future may lie should he leave Ewood Park. The 19-year-old, who will represent England in this summer's Under-21 European Championship, has been linked with a host of clubs including Manchester United, Liverpool, and Spurs. However it is Arsène Wenger's Arsenal whose style Jones most admires.

"I think Arsenal play the prettiest football in the Premier League," Jones said. "Obviously money helps. Having more money allows you to play in a certain way, but that's the beauty of the Premier League – there are so many different styles. You know it's not easy for Arsenal to go to Stoke and win a game there anymore. It's not knocking anyone's style, it's just the nature of the Premier League and that's why everyone loves it."

Arsenal are known to have been monitoring Jones, alongside his team-mate Steven N'zonzi, but Blackburn have made it clear anyone looking to prise the home-grown player from the club will pay a high price. Arsenal may also face competition from Liverpool, with manager Kenny Dalglish showing an interest. You might expect Jones to favour a link-up with the Scot; after all, it was Dalglish who delivered the title to Blackburn – the club Jones has supported since childhood. However, as Jones points out, he was only three years old in 1995, too young to remember the success under Dalglish.

Jones insists all the transfer talk has not distracted him from his commitment to a Blackburn side still fighting relegation. "I can't afford to think about any of that, I just need to be concentrating on keeping Blackburn up," he said. "I tend not to read the papers or listen to what the pundits say about me. My mates will tell me they saw me in the newspaper linked to this club and that club, but to be honest it goes in one ear and out the other."

Manager Steve Kean has said Blackburn probably only need two more points to be sure of safety but Jones says the players will not be playing for a draw at West Ham on Saturday. "Perhaps we do only need two more, but you can't go into any game thinking we only need a point."

As for his own future he says: "Obviously I want to win things, and hopefully play for England at senior level. Representing your country is a massive achievement."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/arsenals-pretty-style-catches-the-eye-of-highlyrated-young-jones-2278965.html
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #22: May 14, 2011 01:58:32 pm
      He's having a cracking game against United here, looks very solid and hasn't put a foot wrong all game.

Quick Reply