Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Phil Jones (Blackburn Rovers)

Read 65225 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Phil Jones (Blackburn Rovers)
      Reply #23: May 14, 2011 02:04:20 pm
      Jones doing well against Rooney alright
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #24: May 14, 2011 05:36:44 pm
      Would love the lad at Liverpool. Could be Carragher's replacement, only seen him play a handful of times but he looks solid.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #25: May 14, 2011 05:43:10 pm
      Was very good today.
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #26: May 14, 2011 07:51:26 pm
      What do you lads figure he's worth? Is it 15M? Or, let me ask another way, is he worth as much as Cahill?
      wegot5bigears
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 201 posts |
      Reply #27: May 15, 2011 01:12:23 pm
      i think he will be better did not put a foot wrong yesterday agains utd ,looked very solid and will only get better
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #28: May 30, 2011 11:14:23 pm

Blackburn star warned against joining Liverpool

Published 23:01 30/05/11
      By Alan Nixon

Blackburn starlet Phil Jones has been told to stay away from a top-four super power just now – by boss Steve Kean.

England Under-21 centre-half Jones is wanted by Liverpool and Arsenal, with Tottenham and even Manchester City among his list of admirers as Rovers fear a massive bid.

But Kean is pleading with Jones to stay with his local club where he can make better progress as a regular rather than risk a fight for a game at a giant outfit.

“I don’t know if Phil would go straight into the team at a Champions League club," said Kean. "And he wants to play. He wants to be a central defender - where he is looking fantastic.

“He is also a supporter and it’s great for the fans to see one of their own playing. He was outstanding at the end of the season.

“You always brace yourself for bids - we have had offers before for him and I am sure there will be solid ones in again. He will move on some time, but I can see him being captain here first.”

Jones is expected to cause a stir with England in the European Under-21 finals next month and Kean added: “He is a Rolls-Royce, he is a fantastic player and is bound to attract interest.

“He plays like a 28-year-old, he’s got experience and calmness and when needed he has got that turn of pace.”

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Liverpool-transfer-news-Blackburn-Phil-Jones-has-been-warned-subs-bench-awaits-if-he-joins-Reds-Arsenal-Tottenham-Mancheser-City-article743037.html
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #29: May 30, 2011 11:17:34 pm
      Read like a clever advertisement that.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #30: May 30, 2011 11:21:50 pm
      What is he a car sales man or a manager. Rolls Royce? All these managers thinking it's Christmas when the transfer window opens
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #31: May 30, 2011 11:23:03 pm
      I would much prefer this lad than Dann potential to be a much better player
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #32: May 30, 2011 11:23:42 pm
      What is he a car sales man or a manager. Rolls Royce? All these managers thinking it's Christmas when the transfer window opens

Just hope he doesn't turn into to Holloway if we bid. Talk your player up for a move to a big club then cry like a baby when the club in question makes a bid.
      Comatorium
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 696 posts |
      Reply #33: May 30, 2011 11:29:30 pm
      I actually agree with Kean, I'd love this lad here, but I'm not sure how often he'd be given the nod over the likes of Carra, Kelly, Agger and even Wilson (who needs lots of game time to fulfill his potential). It would be a better career choice for him to stay another year or two.
      rosscoveney
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 404 posts | -4 
      Reply #34: May 31, 2011 12:17:50 am
      I actually agree with Kean, I'd love this lad here, but I'm not sure how often he'd be given the nod over the likes of Carra, Kelly, Agger and even Wilson (who needs lots of game time to fulfill his potential). It would be a better career choice for him to stay another year or two.

From that interview Kean is advertising Jones out more than anything.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #35: May 31, 2011 12:23:21 am
      We don't want or need a Terry, we need another Agger, without the injury probs.
      Arnie
      • Forum John Toshack

• 249 posts |
      Reply #36: May 31, 2011 01:24:17 am
      Rather have this lad than Cahill or Dann. He's a massive talent and local to the North West so it'd be easy for him to settle in. For me he's got the potential to be one of the best centre backs in the league.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #37: May 31, 2011 11:29:06 pm

Spending £15 million on this kid would be huge waste of resources ...
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #38: Jun 02, 2011 11:39:57 pm
      EXCLUSIVE: £30m Kop swoop! Liverpool near mega deal for young England duo Jones and Henderson
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1393674/Liverpool-close-Blackburns-Phil-Jones-Sunderlands-Jordan-Henderson.html#ixzz1OA2fbCes
      Liverpool are closing in on a £30million swoop for two of England’s hottest prospects — Blackburn defender Phil Jones and Sunderland midfielder Jordan Henderson.

The Anfield giants increased their initial offer of £13m for Henderson, 20, to £15m yesterday and are hopeful Sunderland will compromise on their asking price of £18m

Liverpool are also ready to make a formal offer to Blackburn for £15m-rated Jones, though they face a battle for him with Arsenal and Tottenham.

The moves are part of Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish’s strategy of buying top English talent, having signed striker Andy Carroll in January for £35m from Newcastle.

The club have also asked about the availability of midfielder Lee Cattermole at the Stadium of Light.

Henderson and Jones are in Spain with the England Under 21 party preparing for this month’s European Championship in Denmark. Stuart Pearce’s squad fly home tonight before travelling to Southampton for Sunday’s friendly against Norway, but Henderson is on stand-by to travel to Merseyside and complete the deal as soon as the two clubs agree a fee.

Liverpool’s move for Jones will alert Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger, who has made it known he wants to build his back four around the 19-year-old. Wenger was prepared to wait a year while signing Jones’s Blackburn team-mate Chris Samba now.

That deal is advanced but Liverpool’s move may force Wenger to rethink his plans for Jones, who has impressed in the centre of defence and midfield since making his Premier League debut against Chelsea in March last year. He signed a five-year deal that May and extended it by 12 months in February.

Blackburn would prefer to keep their prize asset and sell Samba but accept that they will not be able to stand in Jones’s way if the right offer comes in.

Dalglish has already signalled a change of direction at Anfield since succeeding Roy Hodgson by handing first-team opportunities to 17-year-old Jack Robinson, 18-year-old John Flanagan and 21-year-old Martin Kelly, and giving a new deal to Jay Spearing, 22.
      rosscoveney
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 404 posts | -4 
      Reply #39: Jun 03, 2011 12:13:56 am
      I'd prefer him to Cahill and definatly to Dann. Cahiil is not actaully that young and I have never been a fan of Dann personally. Jones is young, top class and won't spend half the season on the treatment table. Snap him up before the Mancs or Arsenal get interested.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #40: Jun 03, 2011 12:34:16 am
      Spending £15 million on this kid would be huge waste of resources ...

Why do you say that?
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #41: Jun 03, 2011 12:45:20 am

Because we already have 4 central defenders, at a similar age, that are equally talented as Jones ... The youngest one is probably even more talented than Jones ...
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #42: Jun 03, 2011 12:51:38 am
      who are the 4?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #43: Jun 03, 2011 12:53:47 am
      Doesn't make sense to me. Sign a left back. Use Kelly as utility along the back four. Further Wisdom's progress in the youth setup with some cup games. Don't see why we need a centre back at all. Left back without doubt. Centre back not needed. Unless we are shipping out some during the summer
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #44: Jun 03, 2011 12:53:56 am

Kelly, Ayala, Wilson and Wisdom ...
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #45: Jun 03, 2011 12:58:02 am

I agree. Kelly, who will probably end up as a CB, and Wisdom are both as good as or better than Jones.

Quick Reply