Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Phil Jones (Blackburn Rovers)

Read 65672 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Phil Jones (Blackburn Rovers)
      Reply #46: Jun 03, 2011 01:00:21 am
      I'm going to be totally honest here.

I have rarely seen Phil Jones in action. How good can he be?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #47: Jun 03, 2011 01:01:16 am
      Besides Kelly the others have played first team football over the past couple of years on how many occasions? Whenever Wilson has played he has looked shakey. Jones is ready to play first team football now, he could slot straight into the back four and i'm certain he would not be out of his depth.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #48: Jun 03, 2011 01:02:00 am
      I'm going to be totally honest here.

I have rarely seen Phil Jones in action. How good can he be?

He's got a lot of potential mate going back to the Blackburn game against the Mancs as an example, he was the stand out player on the pitch for both sides.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #49: Jun 03, 2011 01:06:21 am
      He's got a lot of potential mate going back to the Blackburn game against the Mancs as an example, he was the stand out player on the pitch for both sides.

Do you think he could walk straight into the first eleven here? Do you think we will get him? How does he compare to say Kelly?

Sorry for the interrogation!  ;D   I do know of Jones but I just haven't seen enough of him to form an opinion!
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #50: Jun 03, 2011 01:08:26 am
      I think Jones would be a terrific buy at 15 million. Although I can bet you that Blackburn would want more. He will be a top center back for the next 10 years if he doesn't get any injuries.

Also I don't believe the Henderson will ever be coming here, 1. I don't believe the rumor, 2 Sunderland would want 20 million which we would not pay and 3. I think we'll go with other options like Adam or McCarthy.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #51: Jun 03, 2011 01:12:02 am
      Besides Kelly the others have played first team football over the past couple of years on how many occasions? Whenever Wilson has played he has looked shakey. Jones is ready to play first team football now, he could slot straight into the back four and I'm certain he would not be out of his depth.

Doesn't really matters ... All our 4 talented central defenders are at the age of 18-21 ... For a central defender, that is kindergarten age ... We should be very careful of not repeating the Mikel San Jose mistake ... We've sold him for £2.7 million, and now (12 months later) he is a regular at Athletic Bilbao and the Spanish U-21 team, being targeted by Barca as the possible replacement for Puyol ...
      « Last Edit: Jun 03, 2011 01:26:31 am by Macedonian_Red »
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #52: Jun 03, 2011 01:13:38 am
      Do you think he could walk straight into the first eleven here? Do you think we will get him? How does he compare to say Kelly?

Sorry for the interrogation!  ;D   I do know of Jones but I just haven't seen enough of him to form an opinion!

I think he'd be 4th Choice center back behind Carra Agger and Skrtel, but he'd be the natural successor to Carra if he came, he's a bit like Carra in that he'll throw his body in front of anything, he's quicker than Carra, noticed a couple of times he has a bit of pace about him, decent header of the ball, he's calm and reads the game well, he's a better passer than Carra, (not a hoofer from what I've seen), If I've got to stick my neck on the line, I'd say he'd have no problem making the step up here from what I've seen him. He's probably a little ahead of Kelly IMO, but in a way its unfair to draw that comparison as we haven't really seen Kelly at CB in the premier league.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #53: Jun 03, 2011 01:20:26 am
      I think he'd be 4th Choice center back behind Carra Agger and Skrtel, but he'd be the natural successor to Carra if he came, he's a bit like Carra in that he'll throw his body in front of anything, he's quicker than Carra, noticed a couple of times he has a bit of pace about him, decent header of the ball, he's calm and reads the game well, he's a better passer than Carra, (not a hoofer from what I've seen), If I've got to stick my neck on the line, I'd say he'd have no problem making the step up here from what I've seen him. He's probably a little ahead of Kelly IMO, but in a way its unfair to draw that comparison as we haven't really seen Kelly at CB in the premier league.

:gt-happyup:
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #54: Jun 03, 2011 08:54:31 am
      Like the lad, good prospect think he would be a much better signing than Scott Dann
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #55: Jun 03, 2011 09:01:53 am
      Could add weight to the rumour that Agger will be moved on some time this year. I understand what people are saying about us already having young CBs but if Agger and Sotis go, Carra is getting on and Skrtel can be a bit hit and miss, I don't think it's a bad idea to buy a proven CB, whether they're 20 or 26.
      « Last Edit: Jun 03, 2011 02:48:53 pm by Reprobate, Reason: typoooo »
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #56: Jun 03, 2011 09:10:39 am
       This lads got all you need to be a top centre half, but once again it's potential rather than finished article. 15 mill will look cheap if he comes on and makes it, but if the coaching staff/Kenny/Comolli think it's there then lets get him.

We are at least one centre half short and probably two numerically, while quality wise we are always looking for one who is going to replace Carra.

On a side note, I am even more astounded than normal when some posters say "we don't need a John Terry". Dispicable character though he is, he was the best central defender in the league for three or four years IMHO, and absolutely indisputeably ONE of the best if you don't rate him as high as I do. Hopw on earth we don't need one of those is a complete mystery to me. Maybe it's the stats, or when he heads it out of play from under the crossbar it goes down as an "uncompleted pass" or something. An incredible statement to make though nontheless.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #57: Jun 03, 2011 09:34:36 am
      On a side note, I am even more astounded than normal when some posters say "we don't need a John Terry".

;D

« Last Edit: Jun 03, 2011 09:41:26 am by bad boy bubby »
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #58: Jun 03, 2011 09:44:17 am
       A good picture "bad boy", but it's an incredible statement. It's akin to saying we don't need a Christiano Ronaldo, or we don't want a Cesc Fabregas. None of us like the personalities of such players because they play for rival clubs, but to say you "don't need" footballers who are amongst the best in the league is daft.

Arrogant to point it out? I don't think so, and I cannot teach the person who made the statements anything whatsoever on the subject of arrogance, that is for sure.   
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #59: Jun 03, 2011 01:45:42 pm
      Could add weight to the rumour that Agger will be moved on some time this year.

Very unlikely ... Agger is on a £70,000 per week, and no-one would accept that contract, considering his recent injury record ...
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #60: Jun 03, 2011 02:15:21 pm
      Another thing, Jones can also play in midfield and is similar to Coady in that he's comfortable on the ball.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #61: Jun 03, 2011 02:51:36 pm
      Very unlikely ... Agger is on a £70,000 per week, and no-one would accept that contract, considering his recent injury record ...
      Fair enough, let's say he stays. I wouldn't put money on him managing a 15-20 game run without injury so it's a gamble to count him as cover.
      Arnie
      • Forum John Toshack

• 249 posts |
      Reply #62: Jun 03, 2011 05:06:21 pm
      Phil Jones is an absolutely quality player, would be a great signing if we could get him. I've seen him play numerous times and each time he's the stand out player on the pitch. Hard to tell how he compares to a player like Kelly because what we've seen of Kelly has been at RB. Personally Jones is as impressive at centre back as Kelly has been for us since Kenny came in. Thinking of a back four of Flanagan, Kelly, Jones and Johnson for the future is fantastic. He's local to the North West too I think.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #63: Jun 03, 2011 06:03:20 pm
      Phil Jones = Carras replacement. Scott Dann = Sottos replacement. These older players have to be replaced some time and Kelly is prefered RB and Wisdom is nowhere near ready at the moment.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #64: Jun 03, 2011 07:40:49 pm
      A good picture "bad boy", but it's an incredible statement. It's akin to saying we don't need a Christiano Ronaldo, or we don't want a Cesc Fabregas. None of us like the personalities of such players because they play for rival clubs, but to say you "don't need" footballers who are amongst the best in the league is daft.

Arrogant to point it out? I don't think so, and I cannot teach the person who made the statements anything whatsoever on the subject of arrogance, that is for sure.    

Nah mate, you seem to have misunderstood. I wasn't, for one minute, suggesting any arrogance, on your behalf, for pointing that out: far from it - I happen to agree with you as it stands.

The arrogance, to which I made reference, was the way you were "EVEN MORE ASTOUNDED THAN NORMAL" that folk should disagree with you but you already knew that; didn't you?

If truth be known 'mick: I actually found it funny that you are normally astounded by "some posters" opinions. Hence the 'smiley' -  ;D

On topic: I haven't seen enough of Jones to make my mind up but if the hype's anything to go by; I'm glad we're being linked with players who are in demand. Changed times; eh?

« Last Edit: Jun 03, 2011 08:43:53 pm by bad boy bubby »
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #65: Jun 03, 2011 08:17:29 pm
      Phil Jones = Carras replacement. Scott Dann = Sottos replacement. These older players have to be replaced some time and Kelly is prefered RB and Wisdom is nowhere near ready at the moment.

Glad i am not the only one that thinks that, there are a few that seem to be living in 2016 or something when they think Wisdom is going to play a majority of first team games next season.
      sqirg
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 160 posts |
      Reply #66: Jun 04, 2011 01:29:04 am
      YES PLEASE!!
      RedsTillIDie
      • Banned

• 127 posts |
      • Open my veins I'm red to the core
      Reply #67: Jun 04, 2011 02:13:25 am
      Jones is my first choice CB for the summer. I don't see why would move Kelly back to centre defence. He has blistering pace and it would be a shame to waste it! That would leave us with Carra,Jones,Skrtel,Agger. Possibley the best defence in the league with the addition of J.Enriqué?
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #68: Jun 04, 2011 07:39:24 am
      Jones is my first choice CB for the summer. I don't see why would move Kelly back to centre defence. He has blistering pace and it would be a shame to waste it! That would leave us with Carra,Jones,Skrtel,Agger. Possibley the best defence in the league with the addition of J.Enriqué?
      Kelly, Carra, Jones, Skrtel, Agger, Enriqué would indeed by a brilliant defence. Doesn't leave us with many players for midfield and attack though   :D

Quick Reply