Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Why We'll Beat Spurs For 5th - Touch Wood

Read 16609 times
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,990 posts | 5047 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Re: Why We'll Beat Spurs For 5th - Touch Wood
      Reply #115: May 08, 2011 01:55:13 pm
      Like Shanks said, 1st is everything second is nothing, why change that philosophy, or reach for the sky you touch the ceiling, reach for the ceiling you stay on the floor, every competition entered should be to win it, every trophy to be fought tooth and nail for, it matters not a jot the prestige of said competition, they are set up for some club to win and if thats us all well and good, if all your after is to be champs of your league or CL champs and F**k everything else then you truly are a glory hunter, that is not in our make-up never has been, unfortunately there are some clubs, mainly made of plastic, who are hell bent on winning the CL that money seems no object, parting company with £50m on 1 unit of a team to obtain that particular accolade seems excessive, without success must seem like failure , and it is, we will beat Spuds to 5th without a doubt, they have been decent this season in the Epl and in the CL but they are now paying the price, they peaked to early, dont have a strong enough squad and were blinded by their first trip into CL football, i can see us battering them at Anfield, they have along with shitty occupied our normal league position and are now being found out, bring them on cant wait to F**k them over, and see Hairy Kneecaps melted face at the end, KUNT.
      LITTLE_RED
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      • LFC Forever
      Reply #116: May 10, 2011 11:38:02 am
      HOW MANY WILL BE BEAT SPURS BY THEN??
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #117: May 10, 2011 12:09:10 pm
      HOW MANY WILL BE BEAT SPURS BY THEN??

Don't care as long as we beat them. Obviously having a higher goal difference is nice, but 3 points is enough for me.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #118: May 10, 2011 01:13:45 pm
      Hoping for a Spurs win tonight v City.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #119: May 10, 2011 03:13:40 pm
      Hoping for a Spurs win tonight v City.

This. Couple of red cards either side wouldnt hurt either.
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #120: May 10, 2011 03:30:46 pm

Liverpool FC exists to win trophies, regardless of their name.

I thought we exsisted to be the best & settle for nothing less. Some trophies are quite simply not the same as others. If we are in the competition then some would argue that we should give our all to win it. Did Kenny see it that way in the Europa?

are far as 5th place goes.... Any thoughts on tonights game? how do we want to win? This has bearing on what I have posted earlier on this thread as well. Now, would you rather Spurs lost & therefore made it easier for us to obtain 5th or do you want the Yids to win, then we beat them on Sunday & put real pressure on City to perform in their last games or miss out on the Champs League with us taking their place.

It's what you are willing to settle for.....
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #121: May 10, 2011 03:33:14 pm
      Did Kenny see it that way in the Europa?

I'd say so as its not like he fielded the reserves against Braga, in fact he fielded what he believed was our strongest possible line-up.

That says to me the intent was there to win that game no ?
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #122: May 10, 2011 03:39:29 pm
      I'd say so as its not like he fielded the reserves against Braga, in fact he fielded what he believed was our strongest possible line-up.

That says to me the intent was there to win that game no ?

personally I dont think we showed much intent at all. Certainly in the way we played especially away from home. I must add with Poulson playing I find it hard to believe a win was on anyones mind (thats a little tongue in cheek before people create)

Of course Kenny would have taken the win, but I suspect (that's suspect, not actually know) it wasn't the be all & end all. If you know Kenny & can tell me different then I'm happy to hear it.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #123: May 10, 2011 04:03:17 pm
      are far as 5th place goes.... Any thoughts on tonights game? how do we want to win? This has bearing on what I have posted earlier on this thread as well. Now, would you rather Spurs lost & therefore made it easier for us to obtain 5th or do you want the Yids to win, then we beat them on Sunday & put real pressure on City to perform in their last games or miss out on the Champs League with us taking their place.

Most Liverpool fans would rather Spurs win than City tonight, though a draw would probably be the best result all round for us. The reason we'd rather see Spurs win is because it would leave fourth as still achivevable for us. And right now, fourth is the highest we can finish so it's where we should, and are, aiming for.

If City win, then fifth becomes the highest possible finish for us this year and that is where we should, and will be, aiming for. How do you not grasp this? It's as simple as 2 plus 2.

Nobody is settling for fifth or the Europa League, however most of us understand that if that's where we finish then we'll look ahead to next year's Europa League with anticipation. It isn't good enough for this club to be finishing fifth, it isn't good enough for this club to be finishing fourth either. But when they are the best we can do, as they are this season, then that's what we strive to achieve - the best that we can do.

Come the final whistle of the Villa game, every genuine Liverpool fan amongst us will be gearing up for us to finish first next year. The ones who get on me tits are the ones who are satisfied, or settle for, anything other than first. The ones who chuffed just to come fourth for European Cup football before a ball has even been kicked for the season.

No, we go into every competition with the expectation of winning it. Europa League included.

We didn't set out to finish fifth this year but that's what it's come to due a disgraceful start. Fifth is no achievement. What is in an achievement is that we're still talking about finishing in a European place with two games to go when it looked like a F***ing impossible acomplishment when Kenny took over.

He's got us into this position, and he sure as F***ing hell deserves to see us strive for the best we can do this year - that is currently fourth. After tonight it could be fifth. Kenny won't be proud of us coming fifth, not many will be. However, if it's the best we can do this year, then it's what we aim to achieve.

Then we start again next year, striving to finish first. The way Liverpool Football Club should.
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #124: May 10, 2011 04:10:59 pm
      Personally I'm up for the fight & I want the Yids to win tonight. It will make Sundays game massive & really put the pressure on City to get something from their games. Wtf are you suggesting I can't grasp Dunlop? I fully understand the concept of doing the best we can & that after tonights game 5th is the best we can hope for. That has NEVER been my point.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #125: May 10, 2011 04:55:02 pm
      Another of those threads that gets turned by the spoilt fuckers amongst us. The UEFA Cup has been kind to this club over the years, good enough for Shanks, good enough for Bob and good enough for Ged so it's damn sure good enough for me.

Is finishing fifth good enough? Is it bollocks. Is finishing fourth good enough because it gives us a chance to play in the European Cup? Is it bollocks. Is finishing second or third good enough? Is it bollocks. First is the only thing that will be good enough for Liverpool Football Club and if we're in the Europa League due to a disappointing League season, then we're in the Europa League to win it.

This, all day long.

I can't stand how nowadays all players and fans want is to play in the Champions League. The league is more important and always will be.

I want players here who want to win titles, not merely play in the Champions League. I want our fans to want trophies more than finishing F***ing 4th. Second is nothing, let alone fourth.
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #126: May 10, 2011 06:08:35 pm
      Great post DLS, really sums up how I and I guess most of us feel.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #127: May 10, 2011 06:50:20 pm
      Mmm, spot on DLS.

I want Spurs to win tonight because I'm fully confident in our team to go out and beat Spurs (minus Modric + Bale too) on Sunday and overtake them.

paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #128: May 10, 2011 10:15:50 pm
      We need to get 5th now. Even six days without us playing is doing my head in at the moment.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,615 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #129: May 11, 2011 07:18:45 am
      Spuds are sh*te, we must beat them on sunday. a draw will do, but we will then need to win away last game of the season.
      Lofti Rider
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 656 posts |
      Reply #130: May 11, 2011 07:20:54 am
      finishing on fifth do we have to go through those early qualification rounds ?.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #131: May 11, 2011 07:31:43 am
      finishing on fifth do we have to go through those early qualification rounds ?.

We start in the 4th qualification round (ie. we win our 2 legged play-off and we're in the group stages).
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #132: May 11, 2011 07:32:49 am
      Spurs losing probably helps us as they will have to come out fighting for a win on Sunday, which will in turn expose them at the back.

So nice for it to be in our control now though.
      Lofti Rider
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 656 posts |
      Reply #133: May 11, 2011 07:58:46 am
      We start in the 4th qualification round (ie. we win our 2 legged play-off and we're in the group stages).
      thanks vitez :)
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #134: May 11, 2011 08:01:47 am

No worries, let's hope for another 'famous victory' :)
      Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 59 
      Reply #135: May 11, 2011 10:10:09 am
      have to remember that this season we had our worst start for something like 50 years, everyone was asking if liverpool were too big to go down.

Now we're 5th and 2 pts clear of 6 who we have to play at home to pretty much decide European football

To people who are saying that we shouldn't accept 5th as we are liverpool, go back to just before Woy left and ask yourself if you'd take being in the hunt for champs league and being above spurs with just a couple of games to go? so this season 5th is an achievement.

i wouldnt accept us taking 5th next year, and expect to be challenging for honours

MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #136: May 11, 2011 11:37:10 am
      This, all day long.

I can't stand how nowadays all players and fans want is to play in the Champions League. The league is more important and always will be.

I want players here who want to win titles, not merely play in the Champions League. I want our fans to want trophies more than finishing f**king 4th. Second is nothing, let alone fourth.

The thing is you arnt anywhere near challenging for anything worth winning (if you class yourself as a big club) if you are in the Europa League. Indeed if you are in the Champions league you are believe it or not at Europes top table playing the games that LFC should be involved in & guess what? It means you tend to finish higher up the table! For me the EPL is th be all & end all, I'd take it over anything. Champs League is a nice glory moment for me on top of anything else.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #137: May 11, 2011 12:04:51 pm
      "Liverpool Football Club exists to win trophies"

Last time I looked the Europa League is a trophy that can be won.

Quick Reply