Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Smoking cessation via Champix. A diary. (Packing in)

Read 27335 times
      LFCexiled
      Re: Smoking cessation via Champix. A diary. (Packing in)
      Reply #23: May 08, 2011 10:32:37 am
      Thanks for popping into the thread folks.

My heart lies with the people who've had to endure loved ones fight with cancer. Horrible disease.

I have to say though my decision has nothing to do with losing my Sister and Dad to it in the last couple of years.It's more what Racer said, losing breath after walking 500 yards or throwing my little girl up and down for a bit. I have a beautiful family and I really want to enjoy them for as long as possible. My last objective in life is to hurt them and by smoking I'm potentially doing that and that's a very selfish thing for me to do for something that gives me so little pleasure.

As regards the packing in, not much to report really, I think it's going to be like this till day 7 when I stop completely. I bought myself 40 smokes last night and they'll be the last I buy, ever.

Sound good.

I'll be back when there's more to report.

Talk amongst yourselves.

;)
      LFCexiled
      Reply #24: May 09, 2011 02:49:39 pm
      Day 5.

Not much to report, again. The most boring diary ever.

Had a smoke last night and got half way through and then cigarette tasted horrible. Hard to explain really as it didn't actually taste horrible but my brain registered it as tasting horrible. Mind altering drugs without the fun bit, strange.

I'm down to about 10 a day now in preparation for Friday which I've designated pack in day, fly in the face of superstition and all that. I haven't had any nightmares or disturbed sleep yet (did on the patches) but I only upped the dose last night and started taking the night time tablet so time will tell on that score.

I'll pop back tomorrow, hopefully after a good nights sleep.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #25: May 09, 2011 02:52:21 pm
      You have indeed got a beautiful family hun, I remember them well....do it for them as well as for yourself.

It's all in the mind....if you're in the 'right mind' you will do it.

We'll watch this space, but we're 100% behind you  :gt-happyup:
      LFCexiled
      Reply #26: May 10, 2011 03:08:46 pm
      Day 6.

My mouth got a bit sore before bed last night, my gums to be specific. Must be a side effect as it's not the norm. Had a few weird dreams through the night that woke me, in 1 someone was watching me (felt paranoid) and another was in a very dark house, don't remember much else. Both dreams are attached to something that happened to me yesterday so my brain is just recycling the days actions.

Why can't my brain put me in a dream I'd like? I watched Family guy yesterday, wouldn't mind being in an episode of that.

My taste for cigarettes isn't diminishing dramatically but it is diminishing.

I'll pop back on day 7, unless something dramatic happens.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #27: May 10, 2011 03:11:16 pm
      Why can't my brain put me in a dream I'd like? I watched Family guy yesterday, wouldn't mind being in an episode of that.
      He wants to be Quagmire's bi*ch.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #28: May 10, 2011 03:43:04 pm
      He wants to be Quagmire's bi*ch.

Giggety!

Not. When there's all this on offer?

For some reason I'd just like to hear Stewie call me a b***ard, just once.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #29: May 10, 2011 05:33:12 pm
      Just bored with them and they've become pointless and expensive to boot. 20 years of hectic hedonism and I can justify packing in, they've been with me through thick and thin but their purpose is no longer required.

This ^ ^ ^all day.

Keep it up mate. ...big pat on the back and much respect.  :nod:

Eleven weeks (tomorrow) for me and it still ain't overly easy although my 'cravings' are more psychological than physical so i'm beating the fuckers.  >:D

A wee visit to this thread every now and then can only give strength. Nice one.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #30: May 10, 2011 05:51:07 pm
      This ^ ^ ^all day.

Keep it up mate. ...big pat on the back and much respect.  :nod:

Eleven weeks (tomorrow) for me and it still ain't overly easy although my 'cravings' are more psychological than physical so i'm beating the fuckers.  >:D

A wee visit to this thread every now and then can only give strength. Nice one.

Thanks and well done to yourself Bub, don't let the cravings win mate.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #31: May 11, 2011 10:21:27 am
      Day 7.

Woke up this morning and as soon as I opened my eyes I felt a bit down and my mind was racing but not focused on anything in particular. I can't say this has never happened before as it has and there's things in my life right now which would lead to this. Now worried about it at all.

Sound nights sleep. I can forego Stewie calling me a b***ard if it means I don't have nightmares. My gums are still a bit sore but the ulcer I got early on isn't hurting any more which is good.

Had my first smoke just and it tasted rank, hopefully I'm turning a corner.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #32: May 11, 2011 10:43:01 am
      Day 7.

Had my first smoke just and it tasted rank, hopefully I'm turning a corner.

Excellent !!!

Keep up the good work :gt-happyup:
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #33: May 11, 2011 10:44:57 am
      Chewing gum like an addict today. Really want a cig. Groggy as F**k
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #34: May 11, 2011 10:46:10 am
      Smokers outside a hospital door - playing on the radio now. Ha
      MsGerrard
      Reply #35: May 11, 2011 10:51:29 am
      Chewing gum like an addict today. Really want a cig. Groggy as F**k

Just tell yourself you don't want one and they taste like poo  :)
      LFCexiled
      Reply #36: May 11, 2011 10:55:21 am
      Just tell yourself you don't want one and they taste like poo  :)

slur alco's poo. All whisky and bile.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #37: May 11, 2011 12:07:51 pm
      The Mrs tried Champix. Worked for a bit but then went back on them.

Then, similar to Kenny, she just stopped one day and that was it hasn't smoked since.

All these smoking cessation aids work only if you believe they are working.  Ultimately, and no matter how much assistance you want, it's mind over matter.  Either the brain wins or the nicotine wins.

If you really want to have a crack at stopping smoking, book yourself a holiday to California.  You'll be clean within a week.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #38: May 11, 2011 03:08:57 pm
      If you really want to have a crack at stopping smoking, book yourself a holiday to California.  You'll be clean within a week.

Mostly I'm packing in for me, the family & health. I'm also skint.

This California idea intrigues me, I'm also happy to receive your backing for me and the girls to go and give it a go.

Cheers JD you're a Gent, I'll sort some prices and get back to ya. ;)
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #39: May 11, 2011 03:12:22 pm
      I quit smoking the day i found out my then girlfriend was pregnant with our kid

I havent touched one since.  Still have the pack with 4 left in it.

I'd strangle a parrot to have another one though i miss it so much
      LFCexiled
      Reply #40: May 11, 2011 05:16:42 pm
      I quit smoking the day i found out my then girlfriend was pregnant with our kid

I havent touched one since.  Still have the pack with 4 left in it.

I'd strangle a parrot to have another one though i miss it so much

I take it you don't own a parrot?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #41: May 11, 2011 08:05:46 pm
      Take a picture of your last cig. Smoke it. Then look at the picture and tell yourself that was your last cig.

Then don't let yourself down.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #42: May 11, 2011 08:51:55 pm
      Good luck with it Exiled, just noticed this thread - i smoked from 18 through 20 (so not too long in comparison) and just dropped it one day. Still have cravings when im stressed/tired, and i have occasionally snuck one at parties and such - but they never have quite the same feeling as when i smoked regularly, and it makes me feel shitty after awhile, so i never have the desire like i did in those days.

Plus you don't have that smoker stench, and its an extra $20 a week in my pocket (that can be, and is, spent on booze ;D )

You'll be way better off without it, and so will ya family. Keep it up mate :)
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #43: May 11, 2011 10:44:58 pm
      I've not had a cig since 5th January. Keep up the good work!
      Lukemeister
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 69 posts |
      • Anything is possible
      Reply #44: May 11, 2011 11:11:35 pm
      I keep saying im going to quit smoking, i am going to after this week, i need to for football to get to peak fitness ha ha
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #45: May 12, 2011 01:57:58 am
      Thanks for popping into the thread folks.

My heart lies with the people who've had to endure loved ones fight with cancer. Horrible disease.

I have to say though my decision has nothing to do with losing my Sister and Dad to it in the last couple of years.It's more what Racer said, losing breath after walking 500 yards or throwing my little girl up and down for a bit. I have a beautiful family and I really want to enjoy them for as long as possible. My last objective in life is to hurt them and by smoking I'm potentially doing that and that's a very selfish thing for me to do for something that gives me so little pleasure.

As regards the packing in, not much to report really, I think it's going to be like this till day 7 when I stop completely. I bought myself 40 smokes last night and they'll be the last I buy, ever.

Sound good.

I'll be back when there's more to report.

Talk amongst yourselves.

;)

Good on you exiled mate I hope you pull through.

My old man used to be a big smoker 2 packs a day from an early age I think around the time he was 18. In 1999 he had a mild stroke I'll never forget the night he came back home late after a night out on the piss with his work mates. It was about 1am and I heard my mum crying in the living room my old man was pale as a ghost, weak and was sweating, a daunting sight considering my old man is over 6 foot 6 and weighing about 115kg at the time. We called him an ambulance and my auntie and mum went to the hospital with him and he stayed the night. I was up awake all night worried sick and crying myself to sleep I was 14 at the time. My little sister was 7 and my mum had twins who just turned 1 a month prior to the incident. My dad was 38 and looked fairly fit and healthy on the eye he works in construction a very physical job.

Point of the story from that day on he gave up on 2 packs a day cold turkey no patches, pills or anything like that the sheer thought of leaving a young family behind distraught changed his mind and perspective overnight. It has been 12 years since and he has not had a single cigarette yet. He looks much better now he has gained some weight but up until a year ago he was taking 40 minute jogs in the park 3 times a day. In my eyes he will forever be a hero  and I will always have admiration for him for making that drastic change for the sake of his kids and family.

Quick Reply