Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Blaise Matuidi (Saint-Etienne)

Read 10076 times
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Re: Blaise Matuidi (Saint-Etienne)
      Reply #46: Jun 14, 2011 10:00:47 pm
      Good bringing it forward as well.

I just don't see how he doesn't make more sense than Adam now that we have Henderson as an option for the centre if needed.

I've been big on this lad for a few seasons now, and I think he would be perfect in our team!  I don't really rate Spearo, and I think Matuidi would be a perfect player to provide competition with Lucas for the holding midfield role.  Shame because it looks like we will not be signing him...

Another one I have been keen on for some time is Banega, but again, it looks like we will be missing out on him as well....
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #47: Jun 27, 2011 12:15:13 am

Matuidi seeking Prem switch
      French midfielder would welcome move to England

Last Updated: June 26, 2011 12:05pm

Blaise Matuidi is hoping to secure a move to England, with Arsenal reported to be planning a bid.

The midfielder is currently on the books of French outfit St Etienne, but has ambitions of competing at a higher level.

He considers the Premier League to be the best league in the world and admits he would relish the opportunity to test himself on that stage.

Reports suggest Arsenal are reluctant to meet St Etienne's valuation, but a compromise could be reached.

Matuidi hopes that will prove to be the case, with the opportunity to turn out for the Gunners too good to turn down.

"I am flattered by the interest from clubs abroad and I have always loved the Premier League," he said in the Daily Star Sunday.

"It is the best league in the world, so exciting. I really want to be part of that."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_7005757,00.html
      The Last King of Scotland
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #48: Jun 27, 2011 05:13:22 pm
      Rather him than Adam or Sissoko. Him and Lucas would be brilliant in the centre, they'd win the ball back and compliment each other perfectly I reckon.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #49: Jun 27, 2011 05:14:42 pm
      Sissoko over Matuidi without hesitation, for me.
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #50: Jun 27, 2011 05:15:21 pm
      Sissoko over Matuidi without hesitation, for me.

Interesting. Can I ask why?
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #51: Jun 27, 2011 05:19:54 pm

I'm guessing less vowels in his name.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #52: Jun 27, 2011 05:24:00 pm

Sissoko a more complete midfielder. Box to box, good passing range, good movement, athletic. Matuidi for me, a solid player but Sissoko has the chance to be a top midfielder world wide.
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #53: Jun 27, 2011 05:29:16 pm
      Sissoko a more complete midfielder. Box to box, good passing range, good movement, athletic. Matuidi for me, a solid player but Sissoko has the chance to be a top midfielder world wide.

You just named all the characteristics that Matuidi has other than he sees himself as a defensive player first and foremost whereas when I've watched Sissoko he reminds me more of Abou Diaby in the way he's more of an attacking player that can defend to some degree due to his build.

M'Vila is the most complete of the lot but Matuidi is definitely the better defender of the three for my money.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #54: Jun 27, 2011 05:31:21 pm
      You just named all the characteristics that Matuidi has other than he sees himself as a defensive player first and foremost whereas when I've watched Sissoko he reminds me more of Abou Diaby in the way he's more of an attacking player that can defend to some degree due to his build.

M'Vila is the most complete of the lot but Matuidi is definitely the better defender of the three for my money.

And Sissoko does all that, better than Matuidi. That's why I named those.

M'Vila is a much better ball winning, defensive player than the other 2. Sissoko the better box to box and Matuidi is a mix of the both of them, imo.
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #55: Jun 27, 2011 05:34:15 pm
      And Sissoko does all that, better than Matuidi. That's why I named those.

M'Vila is a much better ball winning, defensive player than the other 2. Sissoko the better box to box and Matuidi is a mix of the both of them, imo.

But if you are identifying a player for his attacking abilities then there are much better out there than Sissoko. He's a bit of a "tweener" for be.

M'Vila isn't better winning the ball than Matuidi, no one in France is. With his energy and eye for a tackle as well as ability to keep the ball moving he'd be perfect next to Lucas who has become more of a positionally sound player.

If you were looking to replace Alonso, You'd go for M'vila. If you were looking to replace Mascherano, you'd go for Matuidi.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5004 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #56: Jun 27, 2011 05:55:59 pm
      Really can't see us going for yet another CM, defensively or otherwise,we have oodles of them, we need a striker to back AC and El Pistolero, a couple of wing men a CD and a LB, especially if Adam is imminent, i'm sure either would fit in nicely but imho,i just cant see it.

IKWT  YNWA
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #57: Jun 27, 2011 06:13:53 pm
      But if you are identifying a player for his attacking abilities then there are much better out there than Sissoko. He's a bit of a "tweener" for be.

M'Vila isn't better winning the ball than Matuidi, no one in France is. With his energy and eye for a tackle as well as ability to keep the ball moving he'd be perfect next to Lucas who has become more of a positionally sound player.

If you were looking to replace Alonso, You'd go for M'vila. If you were looking to replace Mascherano, you'd go for Matuidi.

Disagree. Think M'Vila is the modern aged CDM. Sissoko is a box to box, not a tweener. Box to box midfielders are rare and great to have.

Doubt any of the 3 are coming to LFC, not this summer.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #58: Jun 27, 2011 06:15:01 pm
       Sissoko would be more similar to raul than say adam. I wonder would sissoko be a replacement raul couldnt see him as a fall back for adam different style midfielder
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #59: Jun 27, 2011 06:24:23 pm
      Sissoko would be more similar to raul than say adam. I wonder would sissoko be a replacement raul couldnt see him as a fall back for adam different style midfielder

Definitely. Raul style but more athletic, better in the tackle. Raul a bit better in the attack.

Sissoko for me a bit like Gerrard.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #60: Jun 27, 2011 06:27:35 pm
      Not an expert by any means but remember reading, probably on here, Matuidi had won possession more times than any other Ligue 1 player. So harsh to say he isn't a good DM. 
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #61: Jun 27, 2011 06:54:02 pm
      Comoli said it in an interview in france
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #62: Jun 27, 2011 07:04:54 pm
      Not an expert by any means but remember reading, probably on here, Matuidi had won possession more times than any other Ligue 1 player. So harsh to say he isn't a good DM.  

Not saying he isn't a good DM. No one has said that. I'm a follower of Ligue 1 and gave my opinion.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #63: Jul 05, 2011 12:16:35 am

Saint-Etienne slap £13m price tag on Matuidi as Premier League clubs eye swoop

By Colin Young
      Last updated at 11:29 PM on 4th July 2011

Saint-Etienne have put a £13.3million tag on midfielder Blaise Matuidi who is attracting interest from Liverpool, Arsenal and Newcastle.

Saint-Etienne's vice-president Roland Romeyer has confirmed that 24-year-old Matuidi has a release clause worth 15m Euros - and will leave if any club stumps it up.

Romeyer said: 'When he extended (his contract) with a big pay rise ... we all signed an agreement with his agents for 13m Euro plus 2m Euro bonus clauses.

'Below this rate, he is not allowed to leave. This is because he is not for sale. But it is obvious that if someone offers that amount, we will meet our commitments, and he will leave.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2011268/Saint-Etienne-want-13m-Blaise-Matuidi.html
      OoLiaaaaaMoO
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,813 posts | 11 
      • In King Kenny WE Trust!
      Reply #64: Jul 05, 2011 12:25:21 am
      Would be a good deal for that amount.
      Devil Hunter
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 358 posts |
      Reply #65: Jul 25, 2011 08:12:28 pm
      Liverpool miss out on Matuidi

25th Jul 2011 - Transfer Gossip

Liverpool have missed out on transfer target Blaise Matuidi after the 24-year-old France international completed a move to Paris Saint-Germain.

The St Etienne midfielder had reportedly been a long-term target for the Reds, but PSG, who are now backed by Qatar Sports Investments, have beaten them to his signature along with the capture of Roma midfielder Jeremy Menez.

The news will come as another blow to Liverpool's rebuilding plans which have already seen them miss out on Connor Wickham and Gael Clichy this summer but Kenny Dalglish has other problems in that position as he looks to secure the exits of Alberto Aquilani and Christian Poulsen from an already overcrowded midfield.

Source: TalkSport

This story has been reproduced from today's media. It does not necessarily represent the position of Liverpool Football Club.

Author: TalkSport
      http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/media-watch/liverpool-miss-out-on-matuidi

So another linked player file is going to be archived and closed  :)
      achilleas10
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 168 posts |
      • Born Red, Live Red, Die Red
      Reply #66: Jul 25, 2011 09:18:39 pm
      I think it's time to lock it...

Quick Reply