Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Pepe staying!

Read 8686 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Re: Pepe staying!
      Reply #46: May 16, 2011 07:27:56 pm
      Reina excited by "bright future" at Reds

Liverpool goalkeeper Jose Reina has committed himself to the club's "project" having sought reassurances from director of football Damien Comolli about transfer plans for the summer.

Reina admitted last week he had been unsure of his own future with the side languishing in 12th place in the Premier League earlier this season. However, the arrival of Kenny Dalglish, who signed a three-year contract on Thursday, and the turnaround in results has persuaded the 28-year-old to stay.

"In recent weeks I believe we are going in the right direction and we have to keep it like that," said Reina, who also briefly spoke to principal owner John Henry following Sunday's 2-0 defeat at home to Tottenham. "Next season it will be more positive and the quicker we react and improve the better it will be for the club.

"It won't change as quickly as night follows day, it may take a little while, but we are optimistic. I think the owners are preparing a big summer and hopefully we are going to be right in there with transfers and those players who are coming in will help us to improve the squad.

"I have been talking to Comolli as well, asking about the future, and I believe in this club and the project.

"In December and January I think most of the people, not just us players, were doubting we were good enough. I never felt I had to leave because I wanted to believe in the project but the situation was not nice and the mood around the place was not good.

"Fortunately that is not the case any more and we are prepared to take the next step forward and that is where we have to look now. It is not about the past, it is about the bright future we have in front of us.

"I am happy here and my family really wanted to stay because we are happy."

Sunday's defeat to Tottenham, courtesy of a Rafael van der Vaart volley and Luka Modric's controversially-awarded penalty, handed the advantage to Harry Redknapp's side in the race for the final Europa League place.

Reina admits they missed their chance to secure fifth place against Spurs, who inflicted Dalglish's first home defeat since he returned as manager in January.

But he stressed they would not give up the fight, even if there is a train of thought which suggests Liverpool would be better off not qualifying for Europe in order to concentrate their efforts on the league and fighting their way back into Champions League contention.

"We had it in our hands but we messed it up," added the goalkeeper.

"It is still not finished. Spurs still have to play Birmingham, which is not easy for them as they are fighting against relegation.

"The main thing is to keep fighting and win our game at Villa, which is also not going to be easy.

"Fifth position looks as close as ever. We want to play in Europe, I cannot be clearer.

"Liverpool is about Europe and being involved in every single competition. Being in those gives us the chance to win them.

"We are optimistic knowing that we have to improve and there are plenty of things to improve."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/920594/reina-excited-by-?cc=3888
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #47: May 16, 2011 07:55:19 pm
      Well in Pepe lad. Whenever he is mentioned I always think of that video of him singing on the mic with the Spanish team, classic. When he eventually packs in for Liverpool he could always become a singer.
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #48: May 16, 2011 07:57:59 pm
      Always like to read some direct quotes from the players. Thanks for posting Adryan.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #49: May 16, 2011 08:02:05 pm
      He is excited by our transfer targets that is good enough for me, obvious it is not some of the sh*te the media is linking us to. Can anyone really see Reina excited by the signings of Adam Jarvis or Long
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #50: May 16, 2011 08:18:09 pm
      He is excited by our transfer targets that is good enough for me, obvious it is not some of the sh*te the media is linking us to. Can anyone really see Reina excited by the signings of Adam Jarvis or Long
      Hopefully he knows something that we don't!
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #51: May 16, 2011 08:32:19 pm
      I think the owners are preparing a big summer and hopefully we are going to be right in there with transfers and those players who are coming in will help us to improve the squad.

"I have been talking to Comolli as well, asking about the future, and I believe in this club and the project.

"Fortunately that is not the case any more and we are prepared to take the next step forward and that is where we have to look now. It is not about the past, it is about the bright future we have in front of us.

He had a lot of doubts, and Henry and Comolli have since put big thoughts in his head.

Great news for all of us! :aaliverpool2xt1:
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,299 posts | 766 
      Reply #52: May 17, 2011 11:07:19 am
      This is another step in the right direction, Pepe as everyone knows is a world class keeper, would have been very difficult to replace.
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #53: May 17, 2011 11:32:52 am
      Great decision Pepe,great news cause it would of being a nightmare trying to replace him.
      I believe Mr Comoli was in his ear telling him the plans for the coming seasons.

With the best keeper in the world between the sticks,we have the best chance of getting some silverware next season,
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Address
      Reply #54: May 17, 2011 01:46:43 pm
      Never doubted it.
      PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Reply #55: May 17, 2011 08:04:10 pm
      He already has an assist for the Dossena goal vs Utd!
      And Riera's goal v Villa a couple of years back
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #56: May 17, 2011 08:11:47 pm

Same, I was always confident. There was lot's of talk when Torres left last January but I was still confident hw would stay to be honest.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #57: May 17, 2011 10:16:20 pm
      Whilst I wouldn't 'guarantee' anyone to stay.  I remember Xabi and Javier saying similar things - one area we probably don't want to start messing with is our keeper.

And well in to Pepe on being our most 'appeared' player this season.

He'll hit 50 for the season if he plays against Villa. Which of course he will.  If Kenny and Clarke had been there from the start of the season he would be picking up another Golden Glove.
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #58: May 17, 2011 10:19:40 pm
      And Riera's goal v Villa a couple of years back

And Torres' goal against Fulham a couple of years ago.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #59: May 17, 2011 10:35:16 pm
      Made up he is staying of course and like others, I can't help but be a little excited about the things he is saying regarding the 'Big Summer'.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #60: May 17, 2011 10:36:24 pm
      Made up he is staying of course and like others, I can't help but be a little excited about the things he is saying regarding the 'Big Summer'.

Been promised a big summer before, some how I have more faith than last time it was promised.
      AlexG05
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 136 posts |
      • We Go Again
      Reply #61: May 17, 2011 11:46:45 pm
      Should be a big summer. The new owners are a bit smarter than the last. (and I say 'a bit' very sarcastically)
      Henry at least knows that you can't build a team through the "draft"!  :lmao: :lmao:
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #62: May 18, 2011 01:27:06 pm
      people want to work with kenny. i believe pepe always favoured staying because of his passion for the club, but such was woy's skills in bringing doubt and shadow over everything he did, that even pepe prob started to question his future.

great news though, welcomed with open arms.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #63: May 18, 2011 01:36:28 pm
      This is great news.

You don't win anything unless you've got a decent goalie (see Arsenal).

Something else we haven't got to worry about and we can build on during the summer.
      HoyaRed
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 629 posts | 26 
      • YNWA
      Reply #64: May 18, 2011 01:47:11 pm
      I'm happy that this's been sorted now. It would've been a huge problem for us, if he decided otherwise.

Great news.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #65: May 18, 2011 06:28:32 pm
      You don't win anything unless you've got a decent goalie (see Arsenal).

Or a good defence (see Arsenal).

;)
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,251 posts | 924 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #66: May 18, 2011 11:37:40 pm
      Or a good forward

Quick Reply