Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Brad Friedel (Aston Villa)

Read 16154 times
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Re: Brad Friedel (Aston Villa)
      Reply #23: May 16, 2011 07:45:08 pm
      Well I think their have been signs this year that his age is catching up with him, not been as impressive as his first few seasons at Villa or his time at Blackburn.

As a number 2 though, with a view to a coaching role then cool beans, he is still better than Brad Jones.
      Shemy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 591 posts |
      Reply #24: May 17, 2011 12:43:37 am
      I wouldnt mind it, could serve as a mentor to the likes of the many young keepers we have here
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #25: May 17, 2011 01:46:01 am
      I think he's decent, but don't think we should fork out for his wages.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #26: May 17, 2011 01:50:23 am
      For any games that Reina cannot play next season, I would much prefer Gulasci to play, prefer to get a good look at the future rather than a lad on one final pay day.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #27: May 17, 2011 12:22:21 pm
      Initially I was shocked and found this a bit strange but he is still a brilliant goalkepper and I would certainly have him back. I think, if anything, he could help Pepe and the other young GK's we have.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #28: May 18, 2011 12:04:57 am
      Be a great signing, just because we could wear Harry Henderson masks in the Kop, worth signing him just for that.

Always though he was more of a ringer for Hellboy

BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #29: May 18, 2011 01:23:31 am
      For any games that Reina cannot play next season, I would much prefer Gulasci to play, prefer to get a good look at the future rather than a lad on one final pay day.

Also this.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #30: May 18, 2011 01:26:51 am
      I rate Friedel but I'd rather much see a youngster cover for Reina.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #31: May 18, 2011 02:56:39 am
      At his age, why would he want to sit on the bench?

He might aswel retire if he is going to do that!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #32: May 18, 2011 02:58:41 am
      At his age, why would he want to sit on the bench?

He might aswel retire if he is going to do that!

MONEYYYYYYYYYYY
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #33: May 20, 2011 07:45:35 pm
      Just a tweet, so nothing concrete, just passing it on - but one saying that someone has heard from a very good source that he will sign with Spurs on monday.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #34: May 20, 2011 08:02:42 pm
      Just a tweet, so nothing concrete, just passing it on - but one saying that someone has heard from a very good source that he will sign with Spurs on monday.
      Mate, my heart was in my mouth then. I was aiming for the Eden Hazard thread and clicked the wrong one, then I read your post!
      I'm a worse shot than Ngog!
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #35: May 23, 2011 10:46:48 pm

Liverpool join Tottenham in race to sign Brad Friedel

• Out-of-contract American alerts a number of Premiership clubs
      • Villa talks on hold because of Houllier and O'Neill situations

Andy Hunter
          guardian.co.uk, Monday 23 May 2011 22.18 BST

Brad Friedel has been offered the opportunity to re-sign for Liverpool this summer after Kenny Dalglish joined Tottenham Hotspur in the chase for the veteran American goalkeeper.

The 40-year-old is out of contract at Aston Villa and talks over an extension at Villa Park are on hold due to the uncertainty over the manager Gérard Houllier's future. That has alerted several Premier League rivals to the prospect of an astute free transfer and it is understood Liverpool and Spurs have emerged as front-runners for his services.

Friedel joined Liverpool from Columbus Crew in 1997 but made only 25 league appearances for the Anfield side over three years before moving to Blackburn Rovers, where he established himself as one of the finest keepers in the Premier League. However, a return to Merseyside would only be as back-up to José Reina, with the Spain international having recently ended doubts over his long-term future at Liverpool, and the prospect of more regular first-team football at White Hart Lane in place of the erratic Heurelho Gomes could work in Harry Redknapp's favour.

West Bromwich Albion are also interested in the former USA international while Villa have not given up hope of convincing him to extend his successful three-year stint in the Midlands. Speaking before the final game of the season on Sunday, a 1-0 win over Liverpool secured by Stewart Downing – another Dalglish target – Friedel said: "The contract talks at this moment have been put on hold because of Mr Houllier's health and also the ongoing court case with Martin O'Neill.

"Myself and my advisors wanted to get to safety first and foremost before we started diving into things of that nature. I still feel very good, I still think I've got a year or two left in the legs and we'll see what happens. I've enjoyed every minute of my three years here, so we'll just have to see what the future brings."

Roy Hodgson, the Albion manager, could decide to turn his attention to Preston's Andy Lonergan, who impressed in the Championship last season and has also been on Birmingham City's radar.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/may/23/brad-friedel-return-liverpool-aston-villa
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #36: May 23, 2011 10:52:22 pm

Goalkeeper Friedel snubs Villa stay to play second fiddle to Reina at Liverpool

Last updated at 10:30 PM on 23rd May 2011

Brad Friedel will re-join Liverpool after rejecting offers from West Bromwich Albion and Aston Villa to remain in the Midlands.

The veteran keeper has agreed a two-year deal with Kenny Dalglish to be Pepe Reina's understudy.

Villa offered Friedel, 40, a deal on less money but with a greater bonus for appearances.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1390175/Brad-Friedel-join-Liverpool.html
      Comatorium
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 696 posts |
      Reply #37: May 23, 2011 10:58:57 pm
      A good player, shame we won't see him much (could improve kit sales in USA?).
      This probably means the departure of Brad Jones, who was wasted on the bench for his age and the kind of money we bought him for.
      Friedel will be a good tutor for Gulacsi and a bunch of academy keepers.

Shemy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 591 posts |
      Reply #38: May 23, 2011 11:02:29 pm
      ^agreed

hes 40 last chance @ good paycheck and better chance for him to win some silverware before he retires soon.....we saw yesterday he still can be a good keeper, but looking @ Pepes injury record, doubt we will need him (*knocks on wood*), will end up with a coaching role once he retires, and can serve as a good mentor to the likes of Gulasci, and the other young keepers....his signing could mean Gulasci going on loan somewhere to gain first team experience
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #39: May 23, 2011 11:15:18 pm
      Still have a good source telling me he's certain he's signing for Spurs.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #40: May 23, 2011 11:39:36 pm
      Purely his agent trying to up the stakes in his contract negotiations.

On a side note, I always felt we dropped a bollock letting him go, good keeper.

Agreed - and yet amazingly, some have him in their "worst Liverpool" team.

He won't be coming, or I very much doubt it, but we WILL be looking for a good back-up keeper at a reasonable price, IMO.

Trouble is, any good keeper wants game time, and Pepe hardly ever gets injured, which means limited opportunities.

Still, competition is healthy in ALL positions.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #41: May 23, 2011 11:52:14 pm

Liverpool lining up international goalkeeper

Published 23:00 23/05/11

Brad Friedel is set to quit Aston Villa and make an emotional return to Liverpool.

Anfield boss Kenny Dalglish is confident he has won the race to sign the former USA international on a free transfer.

Liverpool have offered golden oldie Friedel, 40, a two-year deal and he is ready to return to his first Premier League club.

Friedel spent three years at Anfield after arriving from Columbus Crew in 1997 and will go back as Pepe Reina's No. 2.

Spurs, West Brom and Schalke have also been keen to sign him but the lure of Anfield and the length of deal offered looks set to work in Dalglish's favour.

Villa have been battling to convince Friedel to sign a new deal there but he will quit the Midlanders after three years.

Friedel currently holds the Premier League record for the most consecutive appearances with his 275th ironically coming against Liverpool on Sunday.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Liverpool-transfer-news-Keeper-Brad-Friedel-is-in-line-for-shock-return-to-Anfield-as-free-agent-after-Aston-Villa-contract-expired-article740221.html
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #42: May 24, 2011 12:42:58 am
      Heard he may be close to joining which I'd be delighted with. We've lacked a decent 2nd goalkeeper for years and this would be a lovely addition to the bench for a season or two. Great guy who would be respected massively by all the players - perfect.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #43: May 24, 2011 12:52:37 am
      Unless I'm mistaken or mad, both likely, wasn't there talk that Friedel would be taking up a place on the bench with a view to a coaching role?

Pepe hasn't been happy since his coach went with Rafa, maybe something to do with this?
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #44: May 24, 2011 07:59:44 am
      Why ???
      Some of the people making these rumors are such tossers. Reina is basically staying.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #45: May 24, 2011 08:28:30 am
      Dont get this one at all

A) Reina would clearly be 1st choice, why would Friedel go somewhere he wouldnt be first choice at his age?

B) His age...hes 40

C) It doesnt fit in with the supposed policy of FSG of buying young

In saying that if he's happy to cover Pepe Im happy to have him

Quick Reply