Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Brad Friedel (Aston Villa)

Read 16155 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Re: Brad Friedel (Aston Villa)
      Reply #92: May 30, 2011 11:19:29 pm
      Harry sticking to his usual scouting policy then!

Not bothered one way or the other on this one to be honest.
      anfieldroad
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 582 posts | 18 
      Reply #93: May 30, 2011 11:44:32 pm
      not exactly what you u call planning for the future is it though mr redknapp. what a read from this signing here is spurs have got a very tight budget this year
      Comatorium
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 696 posts |
      Reply #94: May 30, 2011 11:48:08 pm
      He's still better than Gomes though.
      I think he'd make the right choice by joining Spurs if they got rid of that Brazilian laughing stock.
      Gulasci should be Liverpool's new n. 2, Jones should transfer elsewhere and everyone will be happy.
      anfieldroad
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 582 posts | 18 
      Reply #95: May 30, 2011 11:58:53 pm
      He's still better than Gomes though.
      I think he'd make the right choice by joining Spurs if they got rid of that Brazilian laughing stock.
      Gulasci should be Liverpool's new n. 2, Jones should transfer elsewhere and everyone will be happy.

gomes shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as friedel, but as 'arry hasn't recognised how bad gomes is till now has fu**ed spurs, because if this had been december/ january time (while they were in the champions league and in contention for qualifying) i can guarantee you that they would have been linked to and probably bidding for every keeper who they thaught would be available from reina , lloris, de gea, neuer etc.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #96: May 31, 2011 12:02:37 am
      not exactly what you u call planning for the future is it though mr redknapp. what a read from this signing here is spurs have got a very tight budget this year

I don't think so tbh. They were willing to pay 35 million for Rossi in January. I think Friedel is a good value signing which would allow them to put their entire budget into a striker..

Its like us signing Marveaux, it doesn't mean we are on a tight budget.
      anfieldroad
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 582 posts | 18 
      Reply #97: May 31, 2011 12:14:47 am
      I don't think so tbh. They were willing to pay 35 million for Rossi in January. I think Friedel is a good value signing which would allow them to put their entire budget into a striker..

I don't think u can compare the 2 tbh mate IMO. friedels gone their 2 be number 1 and I respect that butat 40 years of age it wouldnt suprise me if he didn't finish the season ;D could he cope with the 2 games a week? it remains to be seen. time just isn't on his side and with quality of goalkeepers available for transfer at the minute its probably the right time to make a move for oneof them.
      it differs compared to marveuax as he is goin to be more of a squad based player at first, but he has time to develop and be nurtured into the premiership style of football

thats what i tried to say before that i believe the budget as been serveley slashed with them not getting champions league football i think they need to sell to buy
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #98: May 31, 2011 12:16:20 am
      i don't think u can compare the 2 tbh mate IMO. fridels gone their 2 be number 1 and i respect that butat 40 years of age it wouldnt suprise me if he didn't finish the season ;D could he cope with the 2 games a week? it remains to be seen. time just isn't on his side and with quality of goalkeepers available for transfer at the minute its probably the right time to make a move for oneof them.
      it differs compared to marveuax as he is goin to be more of a squad based player at first, but he has time to develop and be nurtured into the premiership style of football

has marveuax even signed yet? if he hasn't then its too early to compare us signing marveuax with anybody else wouldn't you think?
      rosscoveney
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 404 posts | -4 
      Reply #99: May 31, 2011 12:16:28 am

I might be wrong but I think I remember 'Arry talking to SSN outside the Spurs training ground on deadline and when asked about Rossi he said something along the lines of "great player, but no-chance".
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #100: May 31, 2011 12:19:18 am
      I might be wrong but I think I remember 'Arry talking to SSN outside the Spurs training ground on deadline and when asked about Rossi he said something along the lines of "great player, but no-chance".

Okay then different example, 38.5 million bid for Aguero according to his club president.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #101: May 31, 2011 12:20:07 am

Villarreal wanted more than £35m mate and he recognised that.
      anfieldroad
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 582 posts | 18 
      Reply #102: May 31, 2011 12:22:02 am
      Okay then different example, 38.5 million bid for Aguero according to his club president.

they were in contention for qualifying for the champions league and were still participating in it at that time. now they dont have that money for at least one season which will equate to more than what they were going to pay for aguero
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #103: May 31, 2011 12:23:14 am
      I don't think u can compare the 2 tbh mate IMO. friedels gone their 2 be number 1 and I respect that butat 40 years of age it wouldnt suprise me if he didn't finish the season ;D could he cope with the 2 games a week? it remains to be seen. time just isn't on his side and with quality of goalkeepers available for transfer at the minute its probably the right time to make a move for oneof them.

thats what I tried to say before that I believe the budget as been serveley slashed with them not getting champions league football I think they need to sell to buy

This will be the last post on this subject but I think Spurs have more money then you think. Falcao's agent said that Spurs were willing to bid his buy out clause (26 million)

Also I think Friedel can easily play 2 games a week, he's played nearly every game for Villa for the last few seasons. I struggle to see Marveaux play 2 games a week with his injury record.

You say quality keepers are available, who is available that would go to Tottenham? I can't think of many.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #104: May 31, 2011 12:25:19 am
      they were in contention for qualifying for the champions league and were still participating in it at that time. now they dont have that money for at least one season which will equate to more than what they were going to pay for aguero

They've set their sights lower but I still see them investing again to get back in that top 4. Only problem I see is that I think one of their star players will leave. I think Modric will go to United this summer.
      anfieldroad
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 582 posts | 18 
      Reply #105: May 31, 2011 12:27:01 am
      This will be the last post on this subject but I think Spurs have more money then you think. Falcao's agent said that Spurs were willing to bid his buy out clause (26 million)

Also I think Friedel can easily play 2 games a week, he's played nearly every game for Villa for the last few seasons. I struggle to see Marveaux play 2 games a week with his injury record.

You say quality keepers are available, who is available that would go to Tottenham? I can't think of many.

well why were they bidding for aguero, if you dont think any quality keepers would go there why would Kun???
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #106: May 31, 2011 12:28:04 am
      This will be the last post on this subject

Not quite your last post then mate :f_tongueincheek:
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #107: May 31, 2011 12:28:57 am
      well why were they bidding for aguero, if you dont think any quality keepers would go there why would Kun???

Just because they might have bid for Aguero doesn't mean he would go there.
      anfieldroad
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 582 posts | 18 
      Reply #108: May 31, 2011 12:29:36 am
      theres keepers like given and handanovic who IMO would probably love to be playing for spurs and are both of top quality
      anfieldroad
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 582 posts | 18 
      Reply #109: May 31, 2011 12:33:12 am
      how do you know the players rejected the bid it was probably the clubs not wanting to lose there main strikers on deadline day, with the fact they knew they could still comand the same fee in the summer as spurs offered if they wanted to sell there players
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #110: May 31, 2011 12:34:30 am
      Not quite your last post then mate :f_tongueincheek:

Meh, I never live up to my word ;D
      Just because they might have bid for Aguero doesn't mean he would go there.

Agree. Clubs can bid for whoever they like but the player can choose to reject them. I think Sours bid for Forlan, Llorente, Aguero and a couple others who all rejected to join Tottenham. They are still a small club.
      theres keepers like given and handanovic who IMO would probably love to be playing for spurs and are both of top quality

I rate a 40 year old Friedel over both of them.

Now this is the last post on this topic, nah who am I kidding ;D
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #111: May 31, 2011 12:36:40 am

You are correct on Given ... As for Handanovic, you are way off mark ... He is a top keeper ...
      anfieldroad
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 582 posts | 18 
      Reply #112: May 31, 2011 12:42:11 am
      Meh, I never live up to my word ;D
      Agree. Clubs can bid for whoever they like but the player can choose to reject them. I think Sours bid for Forlan, Llorente, Aguero and a couple others who all rejected to join Tottenham. They are still a small club.

Now this is the last post on this topic, nah who am I kidding ;D

fair do's pal but I just think to sign a 40 year old keeper to be your number 1 just isn't sensible, and to be honest I would take the two I mentioned over friedel even if he was in his prime, and giving both there situation givens unhappy on the bench and handanovic has 1 year remaining on his contract me as a manager I would personally bid for 1 of these if funds were available
      « Last Edit: May 31, 2011 12:47:47 am by anfieldroad »
      Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Reply #113: Jun 03, 2011 04:08:35 am
      He announced on FSC that he is going to Tottenham.

Friedel set for Spurs move
      FOX Soccer.com
      PRINT RSS
      Updated Jun 2, 2011 10:16 PM ET

Former U.S. international Brad Friedel is set to leave Villa Park to join Tottenham Hotspur, sources have confirmed to FOX Soccer.

The 40-year-old goalkeeper, having finished a three-year run at Aston Villa, will move to White Hart Lane on a free transfer, with an announcement from Spurs expected early Friday.

Friedel, whose ongoing streak of 275 consecutive appearances is a Barclays Premier League record, will be joining his fourth club in England's top division, having previously played for Liverpool (1997-2000) and Blackburn (2000-2008) before his stint in Birmingham.

Friedel had been in discussions with Liverpool about a return to Anfield, with Arsenal also having shown interest in bringing the veteran goalkeeper to the Emirates. Ultimately, Friedel agreed to play for Harry Redknapp and Spurs, though details of his new contract were not available.

In his 14 seasons in the Premier League, Friedel has made 428 appearances, winning a League Cup in 2002, earning a runners-up medal in 2010 in the same competition last year. He was chosen Blackburn's Player of the Year for the 2002-03 season and also won the Turkish Cup while with Galatasaray in 1996.

As a member of the U.S. men's national team, Friedel made 82 appearances, the last of which came in February 2005. In 2002, Friedel was in goal as the United States reached the quarterfinals of the World Cup, the States' deepest venture in the competition.

During coverage of the 2011 UEFA Champions League final (on which Friedel appeared), FOX Soccer Channel analyst Eric Wynalda referred to Friedel as the best goalkeeper the United States has ever produced.

He now joins a Spurs club coming off back-to-back top five finishes, Tottenham having relied on Heurelho Gomes in goal since the 30-year-old Brazilian moved from Ajax in 2008.

Gomes is currently in discussions with Serie A champions AC Milan about a move to Italy, a transfer that would leave Friedel with undisputed claim to Spurs' starting goalkeeper position.
      http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/england/story/brad-friedel-moves-to-tottenham-hotspur-from-aston-villa-free-060211
      Shemy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 591 posts |
      Reply #114: Jun 03, 2011 04:18:41 am
      sucks to lose out on him, not as if we truly needed him, wouldve been nice to keep him away from a rival that will be in competition for a top 4 spot

Quick Reply