Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Juan Manuel Vargas (Fiorentina)

Read 10887 times
      *LFC 4EVA*
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 805 posts |
      • *LFC 4LIFE*
      Juan Manuel Vargas (Fiorentina)
      May 19, 2011 12:13:18 pm
      Liverpool fighting for €20m Vargas
      19th May 2011 - Transfer Gossip 
      20 CommentsEmailPrintShare ArchiveLFC To Go
      Liverpool will have to fight off stiff competition to sign Fiorentina's Juan Manuel Vargas after his agent revealed "there is a lot of interest" in the wing-back.

Vargas is reported to be high on Liverpool's summer shopping list and director of football Damien Comolli is willing to spend up to €20 million to bring the player to Anfield.

The versatile Peru international can fill in at full-back or on the wing, both of which are positions that need strengthening at Liverpool.

Real Madrid, Barcelona, and Juventus have all been linked to the 27-year-old and his agent, Jorge Cyterszpiler, has confirmed there are a number of clubs chasing Vargas' signature.

"Fiorentina are a great club but there are many teams interested in Juan," Cyterszpiler told Sky Italia. "We'll see if some agreement is reached, if this does not happen, Juan will happily stay at Fiorentina. We are still waiting to see what happens."

Vargas would prefer to join Real Madrid but the prospect of regular first-team football could tempt the player to join Kenny Dalglish's side.

Source: Soccernet

This story has been reproduced from today's media. It does not necessarily represent the position of Liverpool Football Club.

Author: Soccernet
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Re: Juan Manuel Vargas (Fiorentina)
      Reply #1: May 19, 2011 01:25:27 pm
      Bit expensive is he not ???
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #2: May 19, 2011 01:38:36 pm
      Bit old as well perhaps for FSG philosophy.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #3: May 19, 2011 02:15:53 pm
      Bit old as well perhaps for FSG philosophy.

Yup, he is 27 ... Definitely too old for this LFC team ...
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #4: May 19, 2011 02:32:51 pm
      To me, this sounds like his agent is trying to run up the price of him so that he can get a bigger commission from his transfer.  Also, if there are "many clubs interested in him" then he will have a better chance at negotiating for a ludicrous salary like most footballers want these days. 

I have my doubts that we are seriously looking at a player who at 27 has no experience in England, and would cost 20 million.... He has little to no sell on value, and it would be hit or miss as to whether he could adapt to the English game.  If he was priced closer to 10 million then I'd say he is well worth a punt, but not at 20 million. 
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #5: May 19, 2011 02:34:02 pm
      Can I just say... No thanks.
      Too old and too expensive.
      No way he fits the youthful influx I expect we'll see under FSG
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #6: May 20, 2011 02:53:50 am
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #7: May 20, 2011 03:44:13 am
      Yes and no. In 4/5 years Robinson will be ready to take over as Vargas declines so i don't see his age as a problem.

However he is suspect at the back. He got used as a left winger more than anything.
      Shemy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 591 posts |
      Reply #8: May 20, 2011 09:48:24 am
      Yup, he is 27 ... Definitely too old for this LFC team ...

for the rumored amount id say yea he is
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #9: May 20, 2011 12:23:42 pm
      for the rumored amount id say yea he is

I've thought that the money are no longer an issue at LFC, as long as the player is top quality ...
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #10: May 20, 2011 10:34:53 pm
      Agent talk if you ask me, trying to talk his client up and invite bids, nothing more and nothing less.

Reminds me of Lavezzi's agent.
      TeslaPhysics
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 985 posts | 32 
      Reply #11: May 21, 2011 01:09:38 am
      KD siad he would bring in better than what we got, so not going to happen!
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #12: May 21, 2011 07:32:14 pm
      I only seen him play a couple of time so I really don't know how good he is. I know many people seem to rate him in Serie A. A left footed fullback with good pace is pretty much what we need to improve this team.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #13: May 26, 2011 02:57:50 pm

Reds linked with Viola ace

The Reds have been linked with highly-rated Fiorentina wing-back Juan Manuel Vargas.

Italy's Gazzetta dello Sport have said the Peruvian is likely to be playing his trade away from La Viola's Artemio Franchi stadium next season with Liverpool, Manchester City and Zenit St Petersburg all said to be interested.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2011/05/26/liverpool-fc-rumour-mill-reds-eye-toon-duo-viola-ace-linked-lfc-and-man-utd-in-ndinga-battle-100252-28769832/2/
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #14: Jun 13, 2011 02:53:07 pm

Winger can leave for €15M

13th June 2011
      by David Tully

According to ''La Nazione'', Fiorentina are ready to sell winger/wing back Juan Manuel Vargas. The 27 year old has been linked to moves to Liverpool and Real Madrid in the Italian press since the end of the season and the Italian club are apparently willing to do business at €15million. The Peruvian international, joined the Viola from Catania in 2008, and can play in a variety of positions including left wing, left back and central midfield.

http://live4liverpool.com/2011/06/view-from-the-kop/italian-press-winger-can-leave-for-e15m
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #15: Jun 13, 2011 02:55:44 pm
       No ta.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #16: Jun 13, 2011 03:00:18 pm
      In honesty, rather Vargas on our left wing than Downing for 15m. I'd take that most definitely.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #17: Jun 13, 2011 03:01:43 pm
      In honesty, rather Vargas on our left wing than Downing for 15m. I'd take that most definitely.

Definitely ... And the fact that Vargas can also play at left back also works in his favor ... Would be a better option than Downing, at the same price ...
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #18: Jun 13, 2011 03:03:34 pm
      Don't even mention him as a left back.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #19: Jun 13, 2011 03:06:41 pm
      Don't even mention him as a left back.

He was not bad at left back, when he was playing there at Catania ... More of a wing-back, to be honest, but he could be awesome there in a 3-5-2 ...
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #20: Jun 13, 2011 03:10:47 pm
      He was not bad at left back, when he was playing there at Catania ... More of a wing-back, to be honest, but he could be awesome there in a 3-5-2 ...

He was not even close to 'not bad'. He was sh*te for Catania at left back, thats why they shifted him forward and added another midfielder to cover for him.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #21: Jun 13, 2011 03:20:12 pm
      He was not even close to 'not bad'. He was sh*te for Catania at left back, thats why they shifted him forward and added another midfielder to cover for him.

When they've played 4-3-3, he's looked average and exposed... Once they've moved to 3-4-3, he's looked much better ... Personally, I would be intrigued at the prospect of Johnson and Vargas as our attacking fullbacks, against teams that park the bus at Anfield ...

Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #22: Jun 13, 2011 03:53:29 pm
      Yeah great, lets shift our whole formation to suit a player who is untried in the prem, is 27 yr old, would cost as much as Enrique, and is not very good defensively  :f_whistle: you build a formation around your best players and their strengths.

Well, from what I have seen of Kenny, since he's returned in January, he's tried 6 or 7 different formations, depending on the opponents ... He will eventually find the fixed formation, and build it around the right players, but we are probably very far from that moment ... In the meantime, having versatile and quality players on the team will be a huge positive ...

Quick Reply