Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Juan Manuel Vargas (Fiorentina)

Read 10875 times
      *LFC 4EVA*
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 805 posts |
      • *LFC 4LIFE*
      Juan Manuel Vargas (Fiorentina)
      May 19, 2011 12:13:18 pm
      Liverpool fighting for €20m Vargas
      19th May 2011 - Transfer Gossip 
      20 CommentsEmailPrintShare ArchiveLFC To Go
      Liverpool will have to fight off stiff competition to sign Fiorentina's Juan Manuel Vargas after his agent revealed "there is a lot of interest" in the wing-back.

Vargas is reported to be high on Liverpool's summer shopping list and director of football Damien Comolli is willing to spend up to €20 million to bring the player to Anfield.

The versatile Peru international can fill in at full-back or on the wing, both of which are positions that need strengthening at Liverpool.

Real Madrid, Barcelona, and Juventus have all been linked to the 27-year-old and his agent, Jorge Cyterszpiler, has confirmed there are a number of clubs chasing Vargas' signature.

"Fiorentina are a great club but there are many teams interested in Juan," Cyterszpiler told Sky Italia. "We'll see if some agreement is reached, if this does not happen, Juan will happily stay at Fiorentina. We are still waiting to see what happens."

Vargas would prefer to join Real Madrid but the prospect of regular first-team football could tempt the player to join Kenny Dalglish's side.

Source: Soccernet

This story has been reproduced from today's media. It does not necessarily represent the position of Liverpool Football Club.

Author: Soccernet
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Re: Juan Manuel Vargas (Fiorentina)
      Reply #1: May 19, 2011 01:25:27 pm
      Bit expensive is he not ???
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #2: May 19, 2011 01:38:36 pm
      Bit old as well perhaps for FSG philosophy.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #3: May 19, 2011 02:15:53 pm
      Bit old as well perhaps for FSG philosophy.

Yup, he is 27 ... Definitely too old for this LFC team ...
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #4: May 19, 2011 02:32:51 pm
      To me, this sounds like his agent is trying to run up the price of him so that he can get a bigger commission from his transfer.  Also, if there are "many clubs interested in him" then he will have a better chance at negotiating for a ludicrous salary like most footballers want these days. 

I have my doubts that we are seriously looking at a player who at 27 has no experience in England, and would cost 20 million.... He has little to no sell on value, and it would be hit or miss as to whether he could adapt to the English game.  If he was priced closer to 10 million then I'd say he is well worth a punt, but not at 20 million. 
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #5: May 19, 2011 02:34:02 pm
      Can I just say... No thanks.
      Too old and too expensive.
      No way he fits the youthful influx I expect we'll see under FSG
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #6: May 20, 2011 02:53:50 am
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #7: May 20, 2011 03:44:13 am
      Yes and no. In 4/5 years Robinson will be ready to take over as Vargas declines so i don't see his age as a problem.

However he is suspect at the back. He got used as a left winger more than anything.
      Shemy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 591 posts |
      Reply #8: May 20, 2011 09:48:24 am
      Yup, he is 27 ... Definitely too old for this LFC team ...

for the rumored amount id say yea he is
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #9: May 20, 2011 12:23:42 pm
      for the rumored amount id say yea he is

I've thought that the money are no longer an issue at LFC, as long as the player is top quality ...
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #10: May 20, 2011 10:34:53 pm
      Agent talk if you ask me, trying to talk his client up and invite bids, nothing more and nothing less.

Reminds me of Lavezzi's agent.
      TeslaPhysics
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 985 posts | 32 
      Reply #11: May 21, 2011 01:09:38 am
      KD siad he would bring in better than what we got, so not going to happen!
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #12: May 21, 2011 07:32:14 pm
      I only seen him play a couple of time so I really don't know how good he is. I know many people seem to rate him in Serie A. A left footed fullback with good pace is pretty much what we need to improve this team.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #13: May 26, 2011 02:57:50 pm

Reds linked with Viola ace

The Reds have been linked with highly-rated Fiorentina wing-back Juan Manuel Vargas.

Italy's Gazzetta dello Sport have said the Peruvian is likely to be playing his trade away from La Viola's Artemio Franchi stadium next season with Liverpool, Manchester City and Zenit St Petersburg all said to be interested.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2011/05/26/liverpool-fc-rumour-mill-reds-eye-toon-duo-viola-ace-linked-lfc-and-man-utd-in-ndinga-battle-100252-28769832/2/
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #14: Jun 13, 2011 02:53:07 pm

Winger can leave for €15M

13th June 2011
      by David Tully

According to ''La Nazione'', Fiorentina are ready to sell winger/wing back Juan Manuel Vargas. The 27 year old has been linked to moves to Liverpool and Real Madrid in the Italian press since the end of the season and the Italian club are apparently willing to do business at €15million. The Peruvian international, joined the Viola from Catania in 2008, and can play in a variety of positions including left wing, left back and central midfield.

http://live4liverpool.com/2011/06/view-from-the-kop/italian-press-winger-can-leave-for-e15m
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #15: Jun 13, 2011 02:55:44 pm
       No ta.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #16: Jun 13, 2011 03:00:18 pm
      In honesty, rather Vargas on our left wing than Downing for 15m. I'd take that most definitely.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #17: Jun 13, 2011 03:01:43 pm
      In honesty, rather Vargas on our left wing than Downing for 15m. I'd take that most definitely.

Definitely ... And the fact that Vargas can also play at left back also works in his favor ... Would be a better option than Downing, at the same price ...
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #18: Jun 13, 2011 03:03:34 pm
      Don't even mention him as a left back.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #19: Jun 13, 2011 03:06:41 pm
      Don't even mention him as a left back.

He was not bad at left back, when he was playing there at Catania ... More of a wing-back, to be honest, but he could be awesome there in a 3-5-2 ...
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #20: Jun 13, 2011 03:10:47 pm
      He was not bad at left back, when he was playing there at Catania ... More of a wing-back, to be honest, but he could be awesome there in a 3-5-2 ...

He was not even close to 'not bad'. He was sh*te for Catania at left back, thats why they shifted him forward and added another midfielder to cover for him.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #21: Jun 13, 2011 03:20:12 pm
      He was not even close to 'not bad'. He was sh*te for Catania at left back, thats why they shifted him forward and added another midfielder to cover for him.

When they've played 4-3-3, he's looked average and exposed... Once they've moved to 3-4-3, he's looked much better ... Personally, I would be intrigued at the prospect of Johnson and Vargas as our attacking fullbacks, against teams that park the bus at Anfield ...

Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #22: Jun 13, 2011 03:53:29 pm
      Yeah great, lets shift our whole formation to suit a player who is untried in the prem, is 27 yr old, would cost as much as Enrique, and is not very good defensively  :f_whistle: you build a formation around your best players and their strengths.

Well, from what I have seen of Kenny, since he's returned in January, he's tried 6 or 7 different formations, depending on the opponents ... He will eventually find the fixed formation, and build it around the right players, but we are probably very far from that moment ... In the meantime, having versatile and quality players on the team will be a huge positive ...
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #23: Jun 13, 2011 06:42:36 pm
      When they've played 4-3-3, he's looked average and exposed... Once they've moved to 3-4-3, he's looked much better ... Personally, I would be intrigued at the prospect of Johnson and Vargas as our attacking fullbacks, against teams that park the bus at Anfield ...

Vargas is a winger. If you've watched him the past 3 seasons you'd know. He's a winger who runs from deep and bursts forward. His only games as left back were when Fiorentina had no left backs and even tried Massimo Gobbi there.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #24: Jun 13, 2011 07:12:33 pm
      People are talking about selling Raul because of his age and we are getting linked to a lad less than a year younger than him
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #25: Jun 13, 2011 07:23:11 pm
      Vargas is a winger. If you've watched him the past 3 seasons you'd know. He's a winger who runs from deep and bursts forward. His only games as left back were when Fiorentina had no left backs and even tried Massimo Gobbi there.

Vargas has became a winger at Fiorentina, since they have a good left back in Manuel Pasqual, so they have decided to use Vargas as a left winger ... He was not a left winger at Colon Santa Fe, and was definitely not a left winger at Catania ...
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #26: Jun 13, 2011 09:11:59 pm
      Vargas has became a winger at Fiorentina, since they have a good left back in Manuel Pasqual, so they have decided to use Vargas as a left winger ... He was not a left winger at Colon Santa Fe, and was definitely not a left winger at Catania ...

I know he became a winger at Fiorentina. I said that. He got permanently moved under Prandelli midway through his first season in '08 when the Viola fans started branding him a flop already just months after signing for his sh*te displays at left back.

He cannot defend nearly well enough to be a left back for us. He is a winger and nothing else barring any major injury at Fiorentina.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #27: Jun 13, 2011 09:21:51 pm
      I know he became a winger at Fiorentina. I said that. He got permanently moved under Prandelli midway through his first season in '08 when the Viola fans started branding him a flop already just months after signing for his sh*te displays at left back.

He cannot defend nearly well enough to be a left back for us. He is a winger and nothing else barring any major injury at Fiorentina.

I agree that his defending is shaky, when playing in a classic four at the back ... His best position is probably as a wing-back, in a 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 ... Would definitely take him over Downing as a left winger ...
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #28: Jun 13, 2011 10:10:12 pm
      Talking about Fiorentina players... has Jovetic come back from injury already? He looked like a fantastic young talent, shame he was out for so long
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #29: Jun 13, 2011 10:29:16 pm
      Talking about Fiorentina players... has Jovetic come back from injury already? He looked like a fantastic young talent, shame he was out for so long

He has returned on the pitch last week for Montenegro (as a substitute), despite the opposition from Fiorentina ...
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,254 posts | 2800 
      Reply #30: Jun 13, 2011 10:55:47 pm
      Jovetic tore us apart in the CL. Great player.

As for Vargas, good player indeed but I'd rather have Downing, Mata or Hazard.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #31: Jun 14, 2011 01:42:56 pm
      I agree that his defending is shaky, when playing in a classic four at the back ... His best position is probably as a wing-back, in a 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 ... Would definitely take him over Downing as a left winger ...

His best position is a winger - that's why he's playing there. On the Serie A show, every goalkeeper said they feared Juan Manuel Vargas the most. He gets ridiculous crosses in, and his shot s as lethal as they come.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #32: Jul 18, 2011 01:58:03 am

Aston Villa look to Viola Vargas

Sunday 17 July, 2011

Aston Villa are reportedly pushing to take Juan Manuel Vargas from Fiorentina, especially after his Peru performances.

The 27-year-old winger scored a decisive goal in last night’s 2-0 Copa America quarter-final victory over Colombia in extra time.

The Peru captain had already been linked with Villa, but his price-tag could well have risen after that showing.

It’s believed the offer so far stands at €15m, although there is competition for Vargas’ signature from Juventus and Liverpool.

http://www.football-italia.net/jul17k.html
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #33: Aug 11, 2011 07:38:28 pm
      Its givemefootball  gossip I know ,But

Liverpool aim to trump Juventus in £13m winger race - reports

Liverpool – Juan Manuel Vargas may not be headed to Juventus after all

Liverpool will make a last ditch bid for Florentina winger Juan Manuel Vargas, with the club hoping to steal the march on Juventus, according to Peru news outlet Andina.

Vargas was said to be close to agreeing a deal with Junventus worth £9 million. The Peruvian has made 80 appearances for Florentina and scored 12 goals.

But Liverpool have reportedly decided that they will up that offer to £13 million, and beat out their Italian counterparts to sign Vargas before the transfer window closes at the end of the month.

Kenny Dalglish reportedly sees Vargas as the perfect partner for Liverpool newboy Stewart Downing, and will be looking to wrap up a deal in quick succession to signing Jose Enrique.

The summer has been extremely successful for Liverpool, with the club spending well in excess of £50 million, and over £100 million since Dalglish took over the managerial post in January.

If a deal for Vargas goes through, the door will no doubt be opened to a possible deal for Aquilani to leave Liverpool and head in the opposite direction.http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/liverpool-aim-to-trump-juventus-in-13m-winger-race
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #34: Aug 11, 2011 07:39:27 pm
      Perfect partner for Downing, strange that, i think the signing of Enrique finishes this
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #35: Aug 11, 2011 08:30:29 pm
      I am 99% sure this deal won't happen BUT if it was to happen then surely it would mean Enrique - left back, Vargas - left wing, Downing - right wing. Or he could be back up but i'd rather a centre back or back up striker.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #36: Aug 28, 2011 03:54:53 pm

Liverpool look to Vargas

Sunday 28 August, 2011

Fiorentina could still release Juan Manuel Vargas this summer, as Liverpool and Bayern Munich are showing interest.

The winger had been a long-term target for Juventus over the past year, but that move did not go through.

It is now reported that Liverpool are looking to bring Vargas to the Premier League and the Reds have enquired after him.

There is also interest from the Bundesliga, as Bayern Munich are considering the Peruvian international.

http://www.football-italia.net/aug28q.html
      OoLiaaaaaMoO
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,813 posts | 11 
      • In King Kenny WE Trust!
      Reply #37: Aug 28, 2011 05:15:20 pm
      Would love him here, Downing on the right & Vargas on the left...
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #38: Aug 29, 2011 02:21:12 pm

Liverpool Sound Out Fiorentina On Juan Manuel Vargas

Monday, 29th August, 2011

Reports in Italy suggest Liverpool have contacted Fiorentina over Peru international Juan Manuel Vargas.

La Viola’s star has been the subject of interest from a number of sides this summer, but the Serie A club wish to hold on to the left sided player.

But Liverpool are the latest club to eye the 28-year-old and according to Sportmediaset, have contacted Fiorentina to make it clear they would be interested in Vargas.

Whether Fiorentina entertained Liverpool’s approach is unclear, but the Peru star would undoubtedly be keen on a switch to Anfield.

Vargas joined Fiorentina in 2008 from fellow Italian side Catania for €12M after being chased by Real Madrid.

Known as "El Loco", Vargas clocked up 24 appearances in Serie A last season, scoring four goals in the process.

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2011/08/29/liverpool-sound-out-fiorentina-on-juan-manuel-vargas/47951/
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #39: Sep 22, 2011 10:56:20 pm

Arsenal eye £10m Fiorentina winger

Published 22:30 21/09/11
      By John Cross

Arsene Wenger is ready to go back for Fiorentina’s Juan Manuel Vargas in January.

The Arsenal boss was interested in versatile Vargas in the summer, but decided he wanted to continue to scout him this season.

The 27-year-old Peruvian can play left back, left midfield or central midfield. He also has a reputation as a tough nut, which could help the Gunners strengthen their line-up.

Juventus are also keen on Vargas, who could be sold for around £10million, but Arsenal are weighing him up as an option to improve their squad if their campaign does not pick up.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Arsenal-are-eyeing-Juan-Manuel-Vargas-in-a-10m-January-move-but-Juventus-want-the-Fiorentina-winger-too-article802411.html
      OoLiaaaaaMoO
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,813 posts | 11 
      • In King Kenny WE Trust!
      Reply #40: Sep 23, 2011 01:07:18 am
      Isn't he a bit to old for Wenger. :D

Quick Reply