Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Luis Suarez
      (20.9%)
      John Flanagan
      (25.4%)
      Jamie Carragher
      (35.8%)
      Someone else
      (17.9%)

Aston Villa 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 37690 times
      Burdogcallingbat21
      • Banned

• 692 posts | 38 
      Re: Aston Villa 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #391: May 22, 2011 06:11:07 pm
      drik kuyt cannot be allowed to play as a winger. He's piss poor technically and cant beat a man. Successive manaagers keep making this mistake.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #392: May 22, 2011 06:12:21 pm
      Blackpool and Birmingham, two championship teams are both in the Europa league and the biggest club in England are not in Europe at all.

You mean Fulham and Birmingham!!

yorkie18
      • Forum David Johnson

• 236 posts |
      Reply #393: May 22, 2011 06:12:28 pm
      Gutted we didn't win, but really looking forward to the new season. A summer without football is such a long one, but I have a feeling this one will be worth the wait :)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #394: May 22, 2011 06:13:04 pm
      drik kuyt cannot be allowed to play as a winger. He's piss poor technically and cant beat a man. Successive manaagers keep making this mistake.

I'd say he's only playing there cos we're a bit short in that area.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #395: May 22, 2011 06:13:16 pm
      Major overhaul needed. At least 6-7  players needed of high qualiy Some really poor players in our team and squad. Big Big summer for FSG and the club

Knee jerk thread isn't here mate.
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #396: May 22, 2011 06:13:21 pm

One of our most influential players over the past handful of seasons. Everytime he's been dismissed by the fans, he's come back with some huge performances.

He'll be a vital part in our squad next season, even if he becomes a squad player.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #397: May 22, 2011 06:13:45 pm
      Out of the 18 available points from the relegated teams, we achieved 7.

This and not the results from the last 2 games are the reason we are not in Europe.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,632 posts | 6940 
      Reply #398: May 22, 2011 06:16:40 pm
      When was the last time we didn't qualify for European football.

We ended up today with the same number of points (58) that got Houllier fired in 2004, yet qualified us for the Champions League that we went on to win!

Totally bizarre.

Apologies.

58 points was Rafa's first season in charge.  Identical wins/draws/defeats. But we did have that night in Istanbul.
      Redangel

• 8,313 posts | 1007 
      Reply #399: May 22, 2011 06:16:43 pm
      Really wanted us to go out with a win , not too bothered about Europa League , but a win would have been nice.
      We never really looked to be up for it today.
      That's got to change if we seriously want to challenge for the league.
      We've got to have the desire to win any match be it a Champion's League Final or a game of tiddly winks !!
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #400: May 22, 2011 06:17:47 pm

Fulham? Fulham don't get Europa league football.

Blackpool and Birmingham do. Blackpool are top of the fair play league (according to the guardian)
      sirignano
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 307 posts |
      Reply #401: May 22, 2011 06:18:04 pm
      terrible season.

but at least kenny's here for sure, so he can tweak (hopefully more than tweak) the squad so that it suits him, get a good pre season with some new decent players and we can build on from there. personally hoping for top 4 next season, glad we finished 6th after the bad start, but we should be aiming higher!
      sirignano
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 307 posts |
      Reply #402: May 22, 2011 06:20:16 pm
      Out of the 18 available points from the relegated teams, we achieved 7.

This and not the results from the last 2 games are the reason we are not in Europe.

the relegated teams make no difference, theres a load of teams down there that could have been relegated and i'm sure we had a similar record with them aswell.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #403: May 22, 2011 06:21:24 pm
      Fulham? Fulham don't get Europa league football.

Blackpool and Birmingham do. Blackpool are top of the fair play league (according to the guardian)

Even the local Blackpool paper are saying they miss out to Fulham!!

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/blackpool_to_miss_out_on_european_place_1_3372463?commentspage=2
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #404: May 22, 2011 06:22:22 pm
      the relegated teams make no difference, theres a load of teams down there that could have been relegated and I'm sure we had a similar record with them aswell.

I think he means that we've struggled playing against teams who are battling relegation. We've dropped far to many points against the weaker teams.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #405: May 22, 2011 06:24:26 pm

That was published over a week ago. The guardian writers just wrote on twitter that they believe Blackpool got into Europa via the fair play league. I trust them over a newspaper article from over a week ago.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #406: May 22, 2011 06:25:50 pm
      the relegated teams make no difference, theres a load of teams down there that could have been relegated and i'm sure we had a similar record with them aswell.

But these are the 3 worst teams over the season, it DOES make a difference.
      What I am saying is that this team, could not over come these teams that are relegated, the 3 shittest teams in the league.

Those "lost" 11 points would have put us 4th, if we'd won them.

Water under the bridge.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #407: May 22, 2011 06:26:47 pm

He doesn't play as a winger.  Rightly or wrongly he plays as a right sided forward/front player, or sometimes left for Holland.  Probably works better in a system other than 4-4-1-1.

I'd say, yes he had a world cup hangover for half the season, but since Kenny took over, he has put in some massive performances for us and was rewarded with a contract extension.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #408: May 22, 2011 06:29:54 pm
      Is the team qualifying through fair play the team with the best disciplinary record over the 38 games?

I actually believe Blackpool get it because they've got no cards against Man United whereas Fulham got two yellows and a red.

Zoltan Gera may have just cost Fulham a place.

Fulham, 38 games, 52 yellowcards, 1 red card = 55 points
      Blackpool, 38 games, 46 yellowcards, 2 red cards = 52 points

EDIT

andddddddddd... the lack of pace on the wings is so evident that it's disastrous.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #409: May 22, 2011 06:33:09 pm
      I personally blame Andy Caroll for disrupting our pass and move style of play today
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #410: May 22, 2011 06:33:50 pm
      Oh well at least we have the second round of the league cup to look forward to.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,547 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #411: May 22, 2011 06:38:23 pm
      Glad to see the back of that season. Ended as it started ... and went on ... for quite a while... My abiding memory will be the time in the relegation zone, did not feel good. Roy got the boot, Kenny restored pride. Would've taken the arm off at the elbow if offered 6th at that point. And not worried about the Eurofizz, wouldn't help attract player. The focus next year has to be getting back in the top 4 and making a better fist of the domestic cups. The longer we're out of the top 4, the harder it will be to get back in. Fingers crossed Kenny can attract some good players in the summer and clear out the deadwood. And hold onto players like Reina when the bids come in. Usually I miss the footy in the summer, but at this stage I'm not bothered. Thank Christ we go into next season united behind the manager and with some hope. Roll on 2012!
      Timi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 608 posts |
      Reply #412: May 22, 2011 07:12:26 pm
      Just got back home having left the match with us trailing in the first half.
      Don't really understand what has happened to us in the last couple of matches but the good news is, as many have already said, thank heavens this season is over.
      6th was good going in light of the debacle that was Roy Hodgson. 6th was fantastic in terms of the ownership tussle that threatened to rip this great club apart. 6th is a good springing point to launch our assault on the domestics and the Premiership and starting to get this club back to where it belongs- at the top!
      Sad end to a sad season, but what great prospects await going in to the new season. We have hopefully weathered the storms of the recent past. Putting it all behind us can now look forward to a future full of genuine promise.
      Suck it up boys and gals, cause good times here we come!
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #413: May 22, 2011 07:13:23 pm
      I didnt see any of the game- and by the sounds of it, i didnt miss much!

Would have been nice to at least end the season on a win, but its done now.

New season, new owners, a manager that no one has a bad word to say against, New strikers, a couple more players (which positions will always be up for debate!) And we are set for the 2011/12 season.

F**k the Europa league, again it would have been nice.
      We all know its nothing compared to the Champions League- and thats where we should be! But we have got to look at the silver lining- less games, we can concentrate on the league a little more, Get into the top 4 next season!

Going to be an intresting summer...

Quick Reply