Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Luis Suarez
      (20.9%)
      John Flanagan
      (25.4%)
      Jamie Carragher
      (35.8%)
      Someone else
      (17.9%)

Aston Villa 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 37726 times
      PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Re: Aston Villa 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #414: May 22, 2011 07:20:35 pm
      Carra MOTM for me. Only man who did his job today.
      Bit harsh on Flanagan, no?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,383 posts | 2823 
      Reply #415: May 22, 2011 07:20:58 pm
      Just got back home having left the match with us trailing in the first half.

Why?
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #416: May 22, 2011 07:23:39 pm
      Can't comment much as I had to follow the game on twitter, but sounds as if injuries hamperd our progress abit, like at West Brom. Shame we couldn't end the season with a win, but that shouldn't take away from what's been done since January.
      Timi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 608 posts |
      Reply #417: May 22, 2011 07:31:35 pm
      I think you misunderstood. I had to leave the house just before half time-little choice in the matter. Didn't leave because we were trailing. Heck no, the fact that we lost today will prove to be good for us in terms of the coming season. You can quote me on that...
      LFCexiled
      Reply #418: May 22, 2011 07:43:33 pm
      Stream was crap so my viewing 'pleasure' was limited. One thing I did see enough off that reassures me that I'm right is that we need to get Joey Cole off our wage bill, he's a very expensive squad player. I thought he might have been good for us but it didn't work out.

Fair play to Kenny and the lads for their performance since January, time to look forward to next season and the resurgence of the Liver Bird and it's flight back onto it's glorious perch.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #419: May 22, 2011 08:14:51 pm
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #420: May 22, 2011 08:28:52 pm

Didn't know that at the time, didn't even know Arsenal had got a draw!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #421: May 22, 2011 08:48:18 pm
      Kenny's Villa verdict

Kenny Dalglish admitted he could not fault the effort and commitment of his players, despite seeing Liverpool's European aspirations ended by a 1-0 defeat at Aston Villa on Sunday.

The Reds suffered a narrow loss in the Midlands after Stewart Downing netted the only goal of the game in the first half.

That result, coupled with Tottenham Hotspur's 2-1 success over Birmingham City at White Hart Lane, means Liverpool end the season in sixth position and miss out on a European berth.

However, Dalglish paid tribute to the efforts of his squad in ensuring the side went into the final weekend of the season with a chance of securing continental football.

Dalglish told reporters: "It's disappointing. I am disappointed for the players, certainly not with them. They have done fantastic to do as well and get as far as they have done, and it would have been nice to have finished on a positive.

"I think we just ran out of legs a little bit and ran out of players as well."

He added: "The most important thing for us is we did the best we possibly could. It's not their (the players') fault their legs ran out a wee bit and they came up a wee bit short - but the disappointment is for them, not with them."

Raul Meireles had Liverpool's best opportunity to salvage a point at Villa Park, but saw his goal-bound effort denied on the line by a combination of Brad Friedel and Richard Dunne.

Dalglish continued: "It was either Brad Friedel or Richard Dunne, I'm not sure but they kept it out anyway. I think with the goal we lost, on another occasion Carra would have been given a free-kick.

"I thought we could have been given a free-kick for the challenge in the middle of the box. He (Downing) struck it really well, it went in off the underside of the bar and Pepe didn't have much of a chance of saving it.

"It wasn't to be but the players gave everything in the second half and played a lot better.

"Villa had a couple of chances as well because we were pushing forward, but I think they never failed for a lack of effort or commitment."

Reporters were keen to quiz Dalglish on whether he felt a season without European football could prove beneficial in helping them stay fresh for their assaults on other competitions.

The manager responded: "It's always nice for everybody to be involved in Europe. Whether it's going to be helpful not being in it remains to be seen.

"It's a long time since this club hasn't been in Europe, so it's new ground for everybody. We need to get on with it and accept that we aren't in it, but we didn't not qualify for Europe because we lost the game today, it was because we had a bad start to the season and if you start as badly as that, you're lucky to be sixth come the end of it."

Dalglish added: "The challenge is to turn up in July and get ourselves going again. They (the players) deserve a holiday.

"Obviously some of them are a bit more fortunate than others and don't have to play in the Copa America in July. We just need to get on with it and push forward. I hope the players enjoy their break because they deserve it."

On whether not being in the Champions League could have an negative impact on his transfer strategy, Dalglish stated: "There are a lot more players who don't play in the Champions League than do.

"I think Liverpool Football Club is a big enough attraction for players. If we want to bring somebody in, I am sure the club will be a huge attraction for them. Anybody that is going to come in is going to have to be a lot better than what we've got here - and that's only a chosen few.

"We'll be selective with what we want to do and if a player doesn't want to come (here), it's their loss, not ours.

"We certainly won't discuss what we're going to do with our business, we've always done it behind closed doors."

Despite narrowly missing out on European qualification, Dalglish has overseen a major turn around in Liverpool's fortunes since being restored to the helm in January.

While pleased with the form of his team in 2011, the gaffer admits he cannot be satisfied with a sixth-placed finish

He said: "I am relatively happy but at the same time it's not a football club that has built its history and tradition on losing matches, so we don't want that to become a habit. I am really proud of the players, what they've tried to achieve and how they've turned it around."

Meanwhile, Dalglish believes the appearance of Steven Gerrard amongst the travelling fans at Villa Park is indicative of the team spirit in the Melwood dressing room.

The Reds' skipper watched the match unfold alongside Kopites and Dalglish admits it was pleasing to see.

"It's a reflection of what the club means to him," he said. "Although he's not been playing, he's been fantastically supportive to the people that are and he'll be back next season fit, fresh and raring to go.

"The fact he's taken the time to come and watch the lads is an indication of the bond in the dressing room between the players, which is always helpful."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/kenny-s-villa-verdict
      RedsTillIDie
      • Banned

• 127 posts |
      • Open my veins I'm red to the core
      Reply #422: May 22, 2011 08:57:34 pm
      Thought Stevie G sitting among the fand was wonderful. True reds legend don't care what anyone says, hes our main man and he'll prove it next season ! YNWA
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #423: May 22, 2011 09:29:30 pm
      Thought Stevie G sitting among the fand was wonderful. True reds legend don't care what anyone says, hes our main man and he'll prove it next season ! YNWA
      Will be like a new signing, hes getting on too, I can see him really putting in some performances, 11/12. Good words from Kenny.
      Xavier79
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 169 posts | 17 
      Reply #424: May 22, 2011 10:09:37 pm
      Didn't saw the game today, barelly saw the villa goal and that's it! Good thing i didn't blink at the time cause i would have missed it!
      Thanks to Sky showing mainly the manc game (like the result is going to change something... :roll:) and Canal +, who, like most of the french sports journalists is all about arsenal (and chelsea).
      Too bad for the europe but that will give us more time and energy to focus on the league.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #425: May 22, 2011 10:40:00 pm
      Working today so missed the game and not expecting any great highlight time on MOTD but disappointing but the game last week is probably where we lost the Europa place.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #426: May 22, 2011 11:28:15 pm
      Just read through the thread after getting back from Villa Park ½ hour ago.  To be brutally honest, it was a shocker of a game which Villa, narrowly, deserved to win.  Downing was by head and shoulders the best player on the pitch, Joe Cole by far the worst.  Aurelio did well considering the lack of support he was given by Cole and if Villa had been more aware, they would have exploited it a lot more, but frankly it looked like most the  players were already on their hols. Flannagan was torn apart in the second half, not just by Villa, but Carra was constantly on his back, seemingly indicating he was out of position.  Thought Skrtel was a good-ish again today, better than Carra today anyhow.  Spearing injured far to early, never really had a chance to get in the game and his replacement, Shelvey worked hard, without showing much finesse.  Lucas, for me our best player today, got in a few important tackles, was the only player who seemed to get his head up when on the ball, and whilst not all his passes came off, he was at least showing some ambition and when nothing was on, he'd do the sensible and correct thing, retain possession.  Miereles, for the large part, was mediocre and whilst Kuyt was tireless, he was ineffectual.  Suarez was out of sorts today, some heavy touches, mistimed flicks and was isolated on his own. I'm of the feeling this was a swan song for at least 3 players who played today.

Villa stewards very 'officious today', removing Liverpool banners for no good reason, as far as I can tell, including one that, to paraphrase, told Gary Neville to grow a proper 'tash or have a shave.

Now despite my disappointment with the game and the result, both sets of fans upset me more today.  Villas fans spent the whole game singing about Birmingham and the reception they gave Peter Withe, an absolute legend for them, was poor at best.

Some of our fans though, ashamed to say, were disgraceful at the end.  Some of our lads came over, chucked some memorabilia into the crowd, I saw punches thrown, at least two cuffed and led away by the police, who were given no option but to intervene.

sqirg
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 160 posts |
      Reply #427: May 23, 2011 12:02:33 am
      How did Cole play today?
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #428: May 23, 2011 12:13:03 am

I can sum it up in one word: sh*te.
      sirignano
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 307 posts |
      Reply #429: May 23, 2011 12:19:25 am
      But these are the 3 worst teams over the season, it DOES make a difference.
      What I am saying is that this team, could not over come these teams that are relegated, the 3 shittest teams in the league.

Those "lost" 11 points would have put us 4th, if we'd won them.

Water under the bridge.

sorry about the delay, i know what you mean but just because we dropped points against the 3 shittest teams in the league doesnt mean that its ok to drop points against the teams above them, there's teams like blackburn and wolves who we dropped points against and just because they got lucky and stayed up doesnt mean they arent sh*t...
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #430: May 23, 2011 12:24:26 am
      Im happy.
      6th.  No Debt  ....and no European diversions for 2011-12.
      Garett
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 377 posts |
      Reply #431: May 23, 2011 12:27:20 am
      U guys think we can attract good players to the KOP?
      without Europe.
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #432: May 23, 2011 12:28:44 am
      Only really saw the highlights on sky & some bits on a dodgy stream but, from what I saw it was quite a disappointing end to the season. The last time we'll see a few of those players in a LFC shirt, I hope.

Don't think anyone had a stand out performance. Although, 1 or 2 did better than others.

At the end of the day though, things could have ended much worse for us this season, much worse indeed. Imagine if we still had the other two con men 'running' the club and roy was still at the helm. Doesn't bare thinking about, does it?

At least now we can look forward to investment in the club and a world class King managing us.

The future belongs to us!

YNWA
      without Europe.

In short, yes.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #433: May 23, 2011 12:29:10 am
      Im happy.
      6th.  No Debt  ....and no European diversions for 2011-12.

Does that mean we just call you Red next season?
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #434: May 23, 2011 12:31:08 am
      without Europe.

Yes.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #435: May 23, 2011 12:31:36 am
      without Europe.

Yes. Simple as that.

And if players don't want to play for this club that's fine. Rather have players who want to be here than those who want a big pay day.

The name and history of Liverpool Football Club will be enough to attract very good players to play here.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #436: May 23, 2011 12:43:04 am
      Does that mean we just call you Red next season?
      This man deserves to be called a "Red" for life.Over the last 4 years,some have worked tirelessly to rid the club of gobshites,at great personal sacrifice,and now deserve the privelege,to view their opinions at the end of the season,which is our Liverpool Way.

Quick Reply