Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

New Hillsborough Memorial

Read 8580 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      New Hillsborough Memorial
      Aug 21, 2007 01:39:20 pm
      I just read that Liverpool are considering leaving 96 seats empty in the new stadium as a memorial to the 96 that died at hillsborough. It also said that the seats would be selected to make the shape of 96. Sorry if this is posted already.

JFT 96
      « Last Edit: Aug 21, 2007 06:07:29 pm by koolkidda, Reason: Title changed from all lowercase »
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Re: new hillsborough memorial
      Reply #1: Aug 21, 2007 01:46:59 pm
      Any source for that? It hasn't been mentioned anywhere else I've looked.

I would expect to see some sort of Hillsborough tribute at the new stadium, but would rather something simple like the existing memorial. I would also like to see a memorial remain at Anfield after the new stadium's been built, regardless of what happens to the rest of the stadium.
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #2: Aug 21, 2007 02:22:49 pm
      Any source for that? It hasn't been mentioned anywhere else I've looked.

I would expect to see some sort of Hillsborough tribute at the new stadium, but would rather something simple like the existing memorial. I would also like to see a memorial remain at Anfield after the new stadium's been built, regardless of what happens to the rest of the stadium.
      I've just seen it on the BBC website.

Liverpool may leave 96 empty seats in their new stadium as a memorial to the fans who died at Hillsborough in 1989, reports BBC Radio Merseyside.
      Ninety-six Reds fans died after being crushed on the terraces during an FA Cup semi-final with Nottingham Forest at Sheffield Wednesday's ground.
      Last month Liverpool revealed their plans for a new 60,000 all-seater stadium, which is set to open in 2010.

One idea for the ground is to leave seats empty to form the shape of 96.
      A flame and memorial listing the names of the dead already stands on Anfield Road and the club plans to move it to the new stadium in Stanley Park.

An inquiry into the Hillsborough disaster led to all-seater stadia being introduced into top-flight football.
      Her's the link.http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/6956692.stm

CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #3: Aug 21, 2007 02:45:54 pm
      The Mirror has the same story too!

Empty seats tribute to Hillsborough
      Plan to honour dead at new Liverpool stadium
      Exclusive by Jeff Pickett 21/08/2007

Kop chiefs are considering the poignant tribute when their £300million Stanley Park stadium opens in 2010.

The plan has been enthusiastically backed by relatives of the 96 killed in English football's worst tragedy. Phil Hammond, who lost son Phillip, 14, said: "It sounds like a good idea. It's really good of the club to be considering this.

"Hopefully the 96 seats will be in the shape of the number 96 so it really stands out from above."

AdvertisementThe Premiership giants said it was one of a number of tributes they were mulling over ahead of the move to the 80,000-seater ground.

Club spokesman Ian Cotton said: "We're aware of the suggestions being made but nothing has been decided.

"The club is considering the proposal very carefully and will make a decision in due course." A memorial at their current Anfield home listing the victims will be moved to the new site. The 96 were crushed on terraces during an FA Cup semi-final at Sheffield Wednesday's Hillsborough stadium.

The tragedy led to the introduction of all-seater grounds.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/2007/08/21/empty-seats-tribute-to-hillsborough-89520-19665741/

I think this would be a brilliant idea! And if this would be visual at each match it would be a very poignant memorial, and visually striking to everyone!
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #4: Aug 21, 2007 03:26:41 pm
      A fitting tribute-it shows our club puts its fans first and isnt worried about 96 empty seats.
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Re: New Hillsborough Memorial
      Reply #5: Aug 21, 2007 06:09:18 pm
      After reading the Luis letter and now reading this it just makes you feel proud that the top brass and the players (despite the huge economics involved in football) still understand and have a close relationship with the fans issues.

I commend the idea whole-heartedly.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #6: Aug 21, 2007 06:11:17 pm
      I saw on the 606 debate someone's idea to put the names of those lost on the 96 seats. I think that'd make the idea even better. It's a great idea.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #7: Aug 21, 2007 06:15:59 pm
      I saw on the 606 debate someone's idea to put the names of those lost on the 96 seats. I think that'd make the idea even better. It's a great idea.

perfect
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #8: Aug 21, 2007 08:05:48 pm
      Im not to sure about this what if the folk that are sitting next to theses seats use them and what about a big european night at home and 96 fans miss out on tickets,i think the club should put something in the programme or the website for fans to send in ideas and the best ones get voted for theres plenty of time.
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #9: Aug 21, 2007 08:06:38 pm
      I think it's a fantastic idea and gesture to those true reds who never returned.

I just hope it is totally respected by all who sit round it, and that NO n*b head 'fan' attempts to sit in it.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #10: Aug 21, 2007 08:13:33 pm
      I think it's a fantastic idea and gesture to those true reds who never returned.

I just hope it is totally respected by all who sit round it, and that NO n*b head 'fan' attempts to sit in it.

Thats what i was saying imagine the stick they would get if they even tried to sit on one of the seats.
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #11: Aug 21, 2007 08:16:52 pm
      i dont think any liverpool fan would dis-respect the memory of those lost at hillsborough.  whatever the club decides i'm sure it will be an appropiate and poignant memorial.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #12: Aug 21, 2007 08:21:44 pm
      If any 'fan' were to sit on 'em, they'd be the subject of more harrasment than a bloody chelski player. Where should the empty seats be located though? Which stand and where in the stand?
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #13: Aug 21, 2007 09:09:44 pm
      I read this in The Mirror today. Sounds a good idea but I dunno if they'd want 96 seats empty.. I dunno :| See what happens innit! It's not definite but a maybe, and I think it's quite a nice, unique idea :)
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #14: Aug 21, 2007 09:36:37 pm
      This sounds like a great tribute to the 96 and with the belief that their spirits live on I'm sure those seats will never really be empty anyway.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #15: Aug 22, 2007 12:29:46 am
      Brilliant idea. I hope it happens and carries on forever. A very fitting tribute for a new era in our history.

This sounds like a great tribute to the 96 and with the belief that their spirits live on I'm sure those seats will never really be empty anyway.

Couldn't agree more mate.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #16: Aug 22, 2007 12:27:27 pm
      It's also good to know that the Americans realise how deep our history is and the fact they respect it. Should they give this the go-ahead, it shows they care too. Bit better than having a Ruski criminal hardly watching yer games isn't it?
      HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      • If I'm not back in 15 minutes.....wait longer
      Reply #17: Mar 21, 2009 05:09:55 pm
      If the seat idea doesnt come through, how about 96 club crest shields along the roof of the new Kop looking down on the ground? Each one bearing the name of one of the 96? They can watch their beloved Reds forever.
      « Last Edit: Apr 15, 2009 04:50:32 pm by HampshireRed »

Quick Reply