Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Your Istanbul story

Read 4186 times
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,183 posts | 526 
      • At the end of the storm, thereā€™s a golden sky.
      Your Istanbul story
      May 25, 2011 03:06:39 pm
      We all know what happened 6 years ago on this day, been through the forum, and there are many threads about Istanbul, but I wanted to open a new one, a different one, in which I would like to hear YOUR story about Istanbul. Here is my story.

In may 2005 I was graduating from high school, I had just turned 19, and I was getting ready for my prom night. But to properly tell this story I need to go back 4 years, the day I got into high school. I was in the class with one of my best friends, and two guys entered and sat behind us. We said hi and introduced, it turned out they were also best friends like us, and one of them was a Juventus fan, and the other was a die hard Milan fan, who knew everything about football, no matter the league, no matter the year, like  a walking football encyclopedia. We hit it off well, and for the next 4 years we were inseparable, the four of us. When weā€™d sit down and talk about football, it was great, lot of  teasing about our clubs, my Milan friend could not handle the fact that I was a Liverpool fan, would try anything and everything to win me over on his side, but after many ā€˜ā€™fightsā€™ā€™ he finally gave in and said ok you are just like me when it comes to your team, and if our clubs ever meet, we have to promise weā€™ll watch the match together, and the deal was done.

So in 2005 our both clubs were to meet for the first time, in the final of the CL. We were over the moon, canā€™t tell you how pumped up we both were, could not wait till the 25th. I go to school one day and he comes to me with the worst possible face and he tells me, his parents booked a place for his graduation party, but the party is booked for the 25th. We were devastated, it meant no watching the match, at all, cause I obviously had to go to his party as well.   

Finally the 25th came, and I had a VCR at home, at the time, so I told my mom no matter what, when the game starts, you record it, just record till the tape is done. The game started and I watched like 10 minutes cause I had to get ready for the party, we were already one down, but I was saying to myself ok itā€™s just 1-0, no worries, when my mom storms in the door and tells me itā€™s 2-0. I didnā€™t believe her, but it turned out it was true. By the time I left the house it was 3-0, I was fuming, and more so when I knew what was waiting for me as soon as I enter that party. As expected, my friend was all glowing and in my face how itā€™s all done and sh*t, I think you all know how I felt, but I took it with dignity, smiling all the time. The party went on and at one point my Juve friend comes to me and he tells me itā€™s 3-1, I said ok at least we got one goal. Minutes later he comes to me again saying its 3-2, I canā€™t believe it but as soon as I see my friends face, the Milan fan I know itā€™s true. Minutes later itā€™s 3-3, I am F***ing over the moon, and my friend canā€™t come to himself. The Juve fan tells me they played the double + 15 minutes and theyā€™ll start shooting penalties, you all felt my agony at the time, I couldnā€™t move, breath or anything, just waiting for my friend who is on the phone talking to a friend of his to tell me what is happening. But I only saw my friends face and knew, we were the champions. After that, everything is foggy, I was over the moon with happiness, only remember my friend telling me that she had never seen me happier before, and she knew me my whole life, and still till this day she says she never seen my eyes glowing like that,  on that night.

The next morning I woke up and went to play the tape straight away. After I finished it, I was in a trance, could not believe what I have seen, even thou I knew the result, it was just the most emotional and stressful thing, and I knew that if I had watched that game live, I would have most probably ended up in a hospital, with a stroke or something, even thou I was 19 and in full health  ;D

P.S My first topic so apologies in advance if something is not right, and for the length of my post, it's the shortest version :)

bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Re: Your Istanbul story
      Reply #1: May 25, 2011 04:29:42 pm
      Don't apologize Kate, great post!!

My story aint that great. Was just me waking up on a cold morning back in Australia, 4am the game was on. Walked out with my blanket and rugged up on the lounge, leftover dinner from the night before warmed up to eat while i watched. Was stuffing my face still as the first goal went in, almost choked on the food i did :D Half-time came and i was a dejected mess, just numb.

But then THAT second half came. Wow. I remember the first one going in and like you Kate, just thought well at least we scored. But then the second went in and my mind just went "Oh we got this" and then that penalty, well the tap in after the penalty, and the rest. I actually missed the winning penalty due to having to leave for school, mum wouldn't let me be late. Got her to message me the score though and i was over the moon. That day at school was just brilliant ;D

Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #2: May 25, 2011 04:39:02 pm
      Six years ago. How time flies. I was only 15 at that time and I'll try my best to remember what I can (I'm sorry, I realised it was too long after I finished!)

Though I started supporting Liverpool back in 2001, I have to admit I was mildly interested in the Reds. I loved football since a young age but I never paid any attentions to many teams. I occasionally watch Liverpool matches here and there, checked their results but I didn't watch as often as I do in the last 5 years but I was glad I didn't miss the epic 2005 Champions League Final in Istanbul.

The match started at 2.30 am in Malaysia and I was all pumped up to watch the game. Setting the chair in front the TV with a bottle of water behind me. Let's be honest, we had a weak squad and AC Milan were the favourites. 53 seconds into the game, terrible start, we were one nil down from Paolo Maldini.

Don't remember us having much of the ball in during that half and it eventually went to 2-0 and then 3-0 within 5 minutes towards the end of the first half.

And honestly, I was going to go to bed. (I know, you may all shoot me) but just when I was to head upstairs, I said to myself, "Meh, maybe I'll watch 10 minutes of the second half.

54', 56' and 60' are the three numbers I still remember to this day. We've seen Stevie score magnificient goals with his foot from anywhere outside the box but to head it from quite a distance, was simply remarkable. 54th minute, we pulled on back. If I remember rightly, there was some movie being played on another channel and hoping for some magic to happen, I went to browse through other channels and when I came back to the game, Vladimir Smicer had just released a shot from 20-ish yards to make it 3-2 in the 56th minute. I knew we had a chance once it was 3-2 but I still went on to check other channels hoping for us to score another goal and when I came back to the game for a second time, Stevie makes a run into the box with a chance to shoot but was brought down by Gennaro Gattuso. Stepped up, Xabi Alonso ... it was such an important moment. He could have been a hero to make it 3-3 or he could feel the blame on his shoulders had he not scored and two seconds after the whistle was blown ... he missed. Luckily for us, Xabi was faster to react than anyone else and slotted the rebound in with his left foot and I really think Baros almost choked him by pulling his jersey!

"Mission impossible is accomplished. Liverpool, were 3 nil down five minutes ago and now, look at the score," were the exact words by the commentator when Xabi equalised.

Fast forward an hour, an we were crowned Champions of Europe. I eventually watched the whole game and even through the trophy presentation and then it was time to go to school :laugh: with a huge grin on my face.

In Istanbul, we won it five times. This time, it's for keeps.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #3: May 25, 2011 04:45:07 pm
      Was settling down to watch the preview show on sky, wondering how long it would be before Thommo would snap at Gray and Keys when I got the call: "Lad, bit of a problem." "What." "I'll call round in five minutes and explain it then"

Five to ten minutes later, the lad pulls up in his car, so I go and dive in, "What's up Paul" "I've lost my passport, ripped the house apart looking for it, I just can't find it, I feel F***ing sick, you know the way I'm feeling." True, it had been two weeks or so since everyone had sorted out their flights and I was missing out, Ā£200 short, a nan dying not long after promising to try and help me if I got stuck, another nan so F***ing stingy, I wouldn't even ask to borrow a tenner.

"We should be able to get the flight sorted in your name, might cost you Ā£20/Ā£25 but your going to Istanbul, lad!" Took me a few minutes for it to register and seeing as I'd felt so F***ing miserable for the previous week, I wasn't going to start acting like a soft c**t, so I told Paul again was he sure he couldn't remember where he had left his passport. "I usually have it in a file with the missus' and kid's passports. It's not there." Just as he was about to drive us down to Speke.

"Then I'd better go and get mine."

So we got to the airport, enquire who we have top speak to, the actual person we had to speak to wasn't there, but we were told they'd be there in the morning, it would cost Ā£25 to change the flight details. F***ing brilliant I'm going!!

Spent a few hours going through every conceivable reason that would stop me leaving the country, while attempting to watch some telly and eventually get my head down. Sky news was left on as they kept replaying the scenes from Taksim Sq of the first mob of scouse invaders were rattling through some of our numbers. I eventually managed to get an hours kip between 3 and 4am, before being awoken with a bacon and egg sarnie and a cuppa.

Shower, throw some clothes on, my first European Cup Final, went to Dortmund but didn't wear a red shirt that night, so decided to wear the red shirt from the season before.

We get to the airport for around 5am, flight is sorted in my name, it's F***ing official, nothing's stopping me now cu*ts!! Get interviewed by some girl for Radio Merseyside as we checked in, some of the banners on show are F***ing class and funny all at the same time. Some loon has tied a red scarf around the John Lennon statue, a red pork-pie style hat is added!!

Queuing up to get through passport control we see some of the WAGS, then we see Kirkland, Diao and Pellegrino (who both look tall cu*ts up close), Pongolle and some moody gobs***e in a trackie snarling at some of us, a few lads start giving it "who the F**k does he think he is?" Turns out it's Anthony Le Tallec!!

All through Passport Control there are various outbreaks of songs, I've seen since myself on the official DVD singing ring of fire in the airport. It's the clip just after the lad waiting to board says: "No way Jose" I've got glasses on and a copy of The KOP paper slapping it against my other hand!

Finally at around 8am we find out our plane is ready to board, turns out our plane is one of those banned from landing in Germany or Holland for various reasons. So we sit on the plane, waiting and waiting. It appears we've missed our slot, a bit more of a wait, the sky crew hanging around by the door filming scenes get the brunt of our anger: "GET OF OUR F***ing PLANE, GET OF OUR F***ing PLANE, GET OF OUR PLANE, GET OFF OUR F***ing PLANE!"

Finally we get the green light, the plane starts to taxi towards the runway and the songs flow "Liiiiiiiiiiiiiivvvvvvvve eeeeeeeerrrrrrrrpppppppp pppooooooooooooooool" "Oh when the reds" and some others, we're all clapping and stamping our feet, the Turkish stewardesses are nearing a breakdown "Noooooooooooooo" hasn't dawned on some of us that we shouldn't be stamping our feet that hard!!

Four hours later we're there, Sabia Gockhen (spelling) airport, YNWA pan pipe style getting played through speakers in passport control and then were out into the Turkish air, we decide to jump on one of the free buses heading to the ground, knowing we've missed most of the shenanigans in Taksim.

The stadium is alcohol free apart from the alcohol-free amstel sh*t they're selling, we find out that some taxi drivers are basically taking fans to get ale, my brother and few leds jump into a taxi to go grab some.

Me and two other lads hang around just by the road which led down to the ground and across we can see the biblical style mass of Red Army making it's way down to the ground. I blag a couple of cans from a lad heading towards the stadium so we sit off for a bit watching Statto being harassed by a load of Reds, while he does a piece to camera, they form a ring around him and begin singing their heads off.

I also see a stage where Pete Wylie is playing Heart as Big as Liverpool, the stage gets invaded and some Turkish loon gets on the mic telling everyone to get off the stage or the stage will collapse and they will all die, everyone laughs and and a load of flags are paraded.

Around an hour to an hour and a half later I see a taxi coming around the corner and heading down, I swear I can see my brother, I'm sure it's him, it is! He's hanging out of the taxi Joker style in the Dark Knight thumping the top of the cab's roof, with a can in the other hand singing his head off. BOSS!!

So the drinking begins, we find a few lads that sit around us and begin a good old sing song, it's starting to get dark, still well over an hour and a half to kick-off, let's sing and drink some more!! A few photies are taken, lads jump in on some the photies, everyone is having a laugh, I end up giving one of the smaller banners with us away to some Turkish lad, I must be merry at this point.

Before entering, we join in a massive YNWA, some lads have jumped on top of the burger vans outside and are lighting flares, the whole scene looks F***ing brilliant. We head around to the gates we have to enter, apparently the turnstiles have broken, so they're just ripping the tickets and letting you enter.

We get in, and see a nice little corprate tent with all kinds of food and drink, we try the sneak effect to try and get in, but were spotted by two security guards who usher us away, us ordinary fans will have to make do with the massive selection of a few bags of crisp and either coke or water.

We get to our seats and immediately begin joining in with the singing. Everyone knows what happens next!

Half-time and I'm kicking F**k out of the seat in front, screaming and muttering something about "pride" my brother is calling Kewell all the shithouses going, everyone's gutted. My brother is looking at me thinking I'm gonna go on about how we're never beaten, I can't find the words, FFS this is AC Milan in the European Cup Final, not some over-hyped premiership sh*te.

I look around again my brother has disappeared, he's now marching up and down the steps with another lad screaming at everyone to start singing, "get behind them, they're a bunch of arl tw*ts, they'll be fu**ed in the second half, F***ing hell even PSV scored three against these geriatric Itie cu*ts."

YNWA kicks off, everyone joins in, although as it dies down, some soft cu*ts decide to give it "where gonna win 4-3" they are given the I'm not impressed stare and are suitably rebuked "save that sh*te for the Crystal Palaces and other non-existant sh*te teams of this world, We're Liverpool, we don't sing that sh*t."

obviously the celebrations are a little muted for the first, it's more a yesssssss, we're back in this, Smicer scores and suddenly the craziness is back. And for the pen, there is that split second where desolation starts to sink in and then forgotten as the atom bomb goes off. F***ing GET INNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN N XABI!!

Extra time and we're all buzzing and laughing, we know we need to go for it, but the lads are looking a bit tired, we're gonna have to defend for our very lives.

Dudek makes THAT double save, although being right on line with it, had Shevchenko not tried to blast it and tried placing it we would of been fu**ed, we're still in it and it's pens. I'm convinced now number five is all ours.

As Shevchenko grabs the ball and starts to walk up to place the ball, a voice a few rows behind pipes up "what happens if he misses"

Within a split second I respond: "WE F***ing WIN!"

"YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSS, We've F***ing done it, getttttttt innnnnnn, yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, me and my brother are just hugging each other and hugging anyone else around us, what a F***ing night.

All the songs are going off, everyone is ripping their shirts off and swinging it around their heads singing ring of fire, some poor lad in front can't take any more and is just overcome with it all and spewing his ring, the emotion is just too much for this teenage lad as Steven steps up to lift Big Ears. I can't help myself, I just grab his head up and tell him:  "Never, ever forget this!"

I'm devoid of any feeling on the coach as we head back to the airport, everyone else is buying kebabs outside before going in the little tent that was set up over the road by the airport. We get some more ale, although out of the three pints that were given to me, I hand two off to some Irish lads as we queue up to get into the smallest airport in Istanbul that has to deal with all the travelling reds.

We get back somewhere between 8.30am and 9am and immediately as we were waiting to leave the plane, people's phones are going off all over the place and everyone is saying the same: "Have you heard what that pr**k Andy Gray said at half-time, I bet he loved that second half the bluenose pr**k."

We eventually get a taxi back to our estate in Huyton, my voice has all but turned into a gravelly whisper, as we head into the shop we get a few looks, everyone knows where we've been, plenty of lucozade and newspapers are bought, get back to ours, have a smoke and spend the rest of the day watching the replays from the night before and getting goose-pimples from reading every account of the previous day/night.

DER DER DER DER DER DER!

« Last Edit: May 25, 2011 10:29:19 pm by HUYTON RED »
      KopiteKid
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts |
      • Scouse Solidarność
      Reply #4: May 25, 2011 04:56:44 pm
      The most vivid memory I have from that night was this. My dad, who was obviously gearing up for one of the best nights of all our lives cracked open a beer as soon as the match kicked off. After Maldini's goal, he didn't touch it once for the rest of the night until Steven was hoisting big ears above his head. We were just in shock right from the off; shocked that Milan went 3-0 up so easily, and shocked that we came back against all odds and won. Honestly I probably would have walked out and went to bed at half time if I wasn't stuck to the couch in amazement - just silent and motionless.

After we'd won I just remember hugging my dad and going ballistic for about five minutes in the living room, but my mum was just sitting on her bill crying. The fact that she's not even that into football brought home how big of an occasion it was. Best night of our lives.
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,183 posts | 526 
      Reply #5: May 25, 2011 05:34:58 pm
      Great stories people, simply enjoyed reading them :)
      Huyton I am so envious of you mate
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #6: May 25, 2011 06:07:14 pm
      Well for any Liverpool fan this was a great day and a great story.

I was coming to the end of 2nd year in my secondary school, aged 14. The whole day I had a feeling of anticipation and excitement. I had never felt this way before in my life and my mind was transfixed by the possibilities of what could happen that evening. I recall talking to many that day at school. 90% of them said Liverpool had no chance. My brother was the only one who said they'd win. I never made a prediction because I thought it was too precious a match to make one. I had confidence but I promised myself not to get cocky at the thought. From the end of school that day right up until I went to bed it was a sole concentration on this match. I watched the hour build up on ITV. I saw the end of the news in which famous faces around Britain wished Liverpool well including PM Tony Blair! But the time finally came at a quarter to eight that Wednesday 25th May. Moments later me and my brother were gobsmacked and in disbelief as Paolo Maldini hooked in a free kick to give Milan the lead. We just looked at each other shaking our heads. I don't remember much of that half but a feeling of resignation and emptiness. And then Crespo scored two. The second was tough, the third seemed a formality for the game. Not many words were exchanged that half or half time between myself and my brother. My brother was so shocked that he left the room and suggested to me that we turn it over. I absolutely said no. I didn't leave my seat. I was going to sit through the second half in search of a consolation goal. Sure the thought of losing even 6-0 contemplated my mind - Milan were playing that well in the first half. But something told me to sit down and wait. And then the second half started and then a shot of sunlight as Gerrard headed Riise's cross in to the net. I remember instantly the fists went up. There was no scream or anything but I had got what I want - a consolation. And then moments later was probably the most unbelievable moment of the night (bar Schevchenko's penalty save at the end). Vladimir Smicer sees an opportunity, takes it and the ball is just guided towards the net avoiding every player. I sit in the chair with my hands over my mouth. My brother is ecstatic. My sister who is now in the room is even excited and she doesn't even like football! And then a penalty comes for us! What the hell am I witnessing here I thought! I was literally speechless at what came! I even predicted in my mind that I thought Alonso could miss the penalty but score on the rebound! And he only bloody did! The reality of being 3-0 down and then 3-3 within moments only came to realisation after the games end. I sat back and relaxed for the rest of the game. I was so proud of Liverpool's immense fightback and how we held on in extra time was immense. The penalty's came and I was still no further down that road of belief in thinking Liverpool could actually win this. I would only believe it when I saw it. I knew we wanted penalties. Up steps Serginho - and it's still one of the worst penalties I have seen! My brother was up immediately! I, being the measured calm self throughout the whole self said 'it's not over yet...but this is an advantage!' Hamman the ever reliable Hamman converted his so well! And then up steps Pirlo of all people and Dudek only goes and save it! My brother is now almost celebrating. I am still calm and still only believing until I see it. Cisse converts (like myself not much emotion on Rafa's face either!). Riise misses, Thomasson scores as well as the pressure is put on Smicer...who converts BEAUTIFULLY! And then up steps Schevchenko.

Schevchecko, who I remember watching as a 12 year old, who scored the winning penalty two years previously in the final was stepping up. I had a lot of faith in Dudek. I remember him confidently, sympathetically even handing over the ball to Schevchenko. And then Schevchenko steps up strikes it and hits something. There was a bit of a delay in my brain. Did he just smash the back of the net? Did he hit score via hitting the post? No - he really did hit it onto Dudek. And then all my tension was released, all my hopes revealed and my quiet confidence broken as I leaped off my seat and gave off the biggest cry of the night! I didn't believe it then. I still barely believe it today. I went to bed that night on cloud 9. I had a unique feeling of immense warmth and delight throughout school the next day. I'm not the most vocal of Liverpool fans as I'm a fairly quiet person but that unique feeling that night and the days after proved to me that I didn't have to be a loudmouth Liverpool fan. I was so unbelievalbly ecstatic that I went to the bathroom and looked in the mirrors and saw tears in my eyes. It clearly meant more to me than anything else. That flame of hope and never say die attitude that was lit that night is still alive inside me 6 years on and forever more. And Liverpool FC did that to me! They inspire me for that reason.

This may be a dreadfully long post and I can understand (like all of you I'm just unstoppable when it comes to that night) why you won't read it all but as far as I'm concerned that day 6 years ago will never be topped. We could win title 19 and win as many more titles and cups in the future but nothing will top that day. As far as I'm concerned I as a Liverpool fan had ascended to heaven there and then and anything else achieved beyond that was a bonus. Looking at teams like Man, Utd, Chelsea or Barcelona dominating club football the past years does not make me jealous because I know that supporting Liverpool alone, no matter how successful or unsuccessful they are, is the biggest victory of them all for a football fan.
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,183 posts | 526 
      Reply #7: May 25, 2011 06:26:09 pm
      Frankly, Mr Shankly I agree with every word in your last paragraph, and I don't think there was a fan that night that didn't roll a tear, was just an electrifying night.
      And I also remember that Shevchenko scored the winning penalty for Milan, and he missed the last one, that was the last drop that broke my Milan friend to pieces, cause for him Sheva was a god, and no need to tell how I glowed that moment  >:D
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #8: May 25, 2011 06:32:26 pm
      I like how we won the 2005 Champions League final, the 2006 FA Cup final, the 2001 UEFA Cup and 2001 FA Cup all in style.

Come back Kings, FTW!
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #9: May 25, 2011 06:34:16 pm
      Back then I was still working for Toyota. There were 3 Liverpool fans on the line where I worked, Tony, Gurdeep and myself. The other two were eternal pessimists, forever banging on about Liverpool teams of old and refusing to believe that the current team could ever amount to anything. I'd come to work almost every day with transfer rumours that I'd heard or news from the reserve and youth teams about players coming through. They would constantly take the piss out of me for being so optimistic and I struggled to see how they could even call themselves fans.As we progressed in the competition, however, they started to get more excited and wonder 'what if'.

To book holidays at Toyota, you really needed to put your request in in September of the year before. I put in for time off around school holidays and it didn't leave me with many days left so I didn't book any time for the CL final. By the time we reached the knockout stage, 2 people (not Tony or Gurd) had already booked that shift off and that was the limit for our group, nobody else could have time off on that day, I was due to work nights. When it came to the day before the final, I called in sick. My team were in the final, there was no way I could go to work!

So I was sat at home watching the match and obviously I was gutted when the first 2 goals went in. I then got a text from Tony, which I wish I'd kept, 'what a load of sh*t. I told you they're f***in w*nk' (note how he said 'they' rather than 'we').
      I replied, 'Don't give up yet, we're still in this'.
      Then of course the 3rd went in.
      At half time, Gurdeep called me. '3 - 0, we're fu**ed. What a load of sh*t, this is embarrassing, Benitez hasn't got a f***in clue...!'
      Honestly, hand-on-heart, my reply was, 'We can still do this. Rafa can send the players out with nothing left to lose and tell them to sweat blood, do anything to get back into this game. Milan will think they've won this, they'll be vulnerable'
      Gurda went mad with me, calling me delusional and saying I wanted my head looking at. I just kept saying, we can do this. He laughed and hung up.
      My reaction to the rest of the match was pretty much as you might expect. My arse barely touched the settee and as our players finally ran forward in celebration, arms aloft, screaming in delight, I was on my knees in front of the tv with my arms in the air, welling up. My heart was pounding and I barely slept a wink all night.

I returned to work the next day, passing other Liverpool fans on the way in to shouts of "COME ONNN!" and "FIVE TIMES!".

Then I got to my group area to find Tony and Gerda already there. Gerda looked up at me with a big smile on his face and and started to shout, "YESSS... COME O.." and I pointed straight at him and said calmly, "you can shut the F**k up".

I hope he learned something about being a Liverpool fan that day. Always believe.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #10: May 25, 2011 06:48:24 pm
      My story has been mentioned before but here goes again:

During the entire 04/05 season I used to go to MiciG91's house to see the games and ever game I went to watch we either drew or lost. These included:

Chelsea home and away in league
      Man United home and away in league
      Carling Cup final
      Blackburn away where Cisse broke his leg
      Arsenal away in the league
      Everton away in the league etc

I had not gone to one European game at his house but as it happened I was set to watch the Champions League final at his house. He was pissed off to see me as my luck had been sh*te the entire season.

At half time, we all know what the score was....... It was there and then that I decided I had to go home for the second half and so I did......

And then what happened :) :)

So you can all thank me for going home that night or the Miracle in Istanbul would never have happened :)
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #11: May 25, 2011 07:05:43 pm
      I hope you're barred from MiciG91's house now?!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #12: May 25, 2011 07:15:50 pm
      As far as I'm concerned 25th May for Liverpool fans will always be our Christmas Day!
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #13: May 25, 2011 07:22:09 pm
      I supported Liverpool since I was 10 and now being 32, it's almost 22 years old. Back in the early days, there were less information about Liverpool especially during the 90's when we were not performing that well, so I got very little info about the team.

There are more Scums than there are the true Reds. Everytime and where ever you go every Saturday or Sunday nights, it's all about Scum. In where I live, the only place that I can watch our game is here

(maybe Adryan knew this place)
      Although maybe some pile of s**t Scums came here, but still this is our meeting place.

Back to Istanbul, it was 2.30 am and I was with my friends, to be exact there were 6 of us. Me being a Liverpool fan while other just occasional football fans. I was like this is the moment for us and I know it is, eventhough on paper our team were far inferior than Milan in terms of squad size, popularity, skill and technique. But to be honest, I didn't expect us to even get through to the quarter finals. So being in the final did surprised me a lot in a good way.

Kick-off and Milan switched to 3rd gear while we were still adjusting to the game. First minute,Traore conceded a foul and Pirlo free kick was converted by a volley from Maldini. How on earth did this stupid old Italian could scored? But I was not worried as it was still early in the game. Liverpool launched series of attack as well as Milan but unlucky we were hit by a counter and Crespo converted. 2-0 and I still thought we still got a chance. Minutes later, Kaka created an opportunity for Crespo and that ba***rd scored his 2nd and Milan 3rd. I was like what the f**king hell happened?

Halftime and my friends all taunting me on how this was already over. What's the point of even watching the 2nd half. Eventhough I was kind of agreeing but deep in my heart I still knew it was still far from over. We got 45 more to settle the score.

2nd half started and I was like please God let it be a goal. Then a Riise cross was met by Gerrard and I exploded. 3-1 and minutes later Smicer made it 3-2 from outside the box. After Alonso's penalty I knew we could win this. This lead to that and finally the big ears arrived at Liverpool.

That day I called in sick.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #14: May 25, 2011 07:59:15 pm
      Such an amazing story HR! You had half told me bits of it before, but such a great read! :)

I suppose my Istanbul story really starts off the week before when I was over in Liverpool for the Villa game. I had just turned 15 the week before and was my first Liverpool game. That in itself was such an amazing feeling, let alone the atmosphere and the buzz all around the city as we were playing in the European Cup final the following week! It was the one word on everyone's lips- Istanbul! I'll never forget the hotel where I stayed, first off cos I met a couple who I had just DJ'd for a few weeks before and they were on their honeymoon!! But there was a lad who worked there, around 40ish, and of course we started talking about the football and he just goes to me, "I've got something to show you", straight away I was like WTF ??? And he pops out 2 tickets for the final, let me have them for a minute as I tried everything in the book to convince my dad to throw our house at him just for the tickets :D

But that year, I had my first set of exams, and my trip to Liverpool set me back a good few days so spent the days up to Istanbul frantically trying to finish projects, study...etc. Then I realised I had forgetting one thing, my woodwork practical! Luckily I knew a lad who lived in a joinery so I spent the day there making my project, finished just in time to start the match. I didn't feel comfortable whatsoever. In a foreign house, with people I barely knew and couldn't watch the match in my own way like.

I had my Mam rang to collect me at half time and bring me home, kept making sure she would come in time cos my house is 15 mins away, perefect timing like. Just sat down, the first goal went in. I was shocked but nothing major, we still had 89 mins to go in the match, we could do it. 2nd goal and my head drops a bit, 3rd goal, it's gone and the abuse starts, all the messages and calls I'm getting. I just wanted to leave the place, where the F**k is my mother!! Anyways, as usual she eventually arrives late and starts to bring me hope. I try to hurry her but of course being a mother she stops the car to F***ing lecture me!!

I eventually get in home and I see Vladi celebrating. WTF have I missed!! I see that it's 3-2 and I go mad with joy and then anger at my mam for making me miss it!! Alonso scored and I went stone cracked!! I was roaring the house down and by the time penalties came and the whole family was in watching me more than the match! :D I When I saw Sheva miss, I didn't know what to do at all!! I was in shock and then it set in! :) I went mad! :) Started running up and down the street in my Liverpool flag until I ran up to these Polish fella's who were living near me at the time, they were absolutely hammered and we were just there singing YNWA and songs about Dudek! :D Being practically the only Liverpool fan I knew around the time it was just unreal to celebrate the victory with someone, even if they didn't know who I was! :D

Next day at school, got sent home cos I was wearing was my Liverpool kit! ;D
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #15: May 25, 2011 11:31:20 pm
      Six years ago, I was a school lad gearing up for me SATs but education always came second best when it came to choosing between that or Liverpool Football Club. My club always won that battle and always will.

So with Liverpool getting ready for my first European Cup final, was I really gonna be worried about jumping the bus down to Aigburth? Of course not, I was more interested in donning my Liverpool shirt, in front of the telly from 9am Monday morning to god knows when.

It wasnā€™t just a one-day build up in our household, it was the entire week. It started on the Monday with me arl fella letting me stay off to soak up the atmosphere. When me mam had a go at him, he said something Iā€™ll never forget. He said ā€œitā€™s one week, itā€™s not gonna kill him and anyway, he might not get to witness many days like thisā€. He was right, that week off school didnā€™t kill me but the week that was about to unfold almost did.

So anyway, Monday morning and we had any station on the telly or radio that was talking about the game. Any little bit of news was taken in by us, it just had that feeling that something special was about to happen.

Tuesday was exactly the same. Me and me dad both getting every last bit of information we could. We would of been there in Turkey except money problems stopped that dream happening. But that didnā€™t stop us feeling like we where there.

We sang our hearts out during the Wednesday morning, afternoon an right up to kick off. Me dad slapped the video in and taped what was to become the greatest final of all time. Both wearing our colours, scarves on the back of the couch and our voices well and truly tuned. Oh yes, this was gonna be something special.

What happened between the first whistle and the half time whistle, well Iā€™m still looking for an explanation on that one. It just didnā€™t seem real, that our club could do so badly in such an important game.

Me and me dad looked at each other in disbelief, fuming with our club. But, like the thousands in Istanbul, we found our voice once more and belted out a few songs, amongst other things, trying to lift ourselves more than anything. Me mam thought we were cruising the noise we were making.

Then obviously the most incredible thing happened. We pulled it back from three down to draw level and that again set us off. The roof came off our front room when Xabi scored the rebound. It was just unreal. Things like this only happened in dreams, surely?

But all dreams have an happy ending and our dream did. Just in case our fans hadnā€™t been through enough, the players decided penalties would ease our nerves a bit more. Some hope lads.

I stood in me good luck charm, behind the couch while me arl fella just sat there motionless. I remember when they missed their first two and we scored ours, I walked over and grabbed me dad round the back of his neck.

Then they scored and we missed and he chucked me off him. Told me to F**k off cos it was bad luck. So I did, back to me own end of the couch. And then three penalties later we had the Cup in our hands.

F***ing hell, that was that. The tears flooded out of me an me dad. We grabbed each other, jumping up and down. I flew into the garden screaming with delight. Couldnā€™t believe what Iā€™d just witnessed.

Donā€™t think I slept a wink that night, in fact donā€™t remember even going to bed. Think it was an all night party. Forget school, this was far more important. Liverpool Football Club had just won our fifth European Cup. It was ours to keep.

Watching the lads celebrations afterwards, and then Stevie lifting the Cup up was more than anything else Iā€™d witnessed as a Liverpool fan. Seeing the pride on our boysā€™ faces, the felt the same joy as I did, as we did, it was fantastic. Seeing them parade the trophy around with our fans was a sight Iā€™m never gonna forget. Nights like that donā€™t happen too often, so make the most of them when they come. I know I did.

The homecoming, almost tipped the actual night for enjoyment. Because I didnā€™t have the anxiousness of whether or not Iā€™d be celebrating at the end of the night. I knew the outcome of the homecoming, I didnā€™t know what would happen on the 25th. That was the difference.

But I didnā€™t expect the homecoming to be quite as good as it was. We left ours at 5 on the dot when me mam came home from work. Me, me dad, me sister, me uncle Tony and three cousins ā€“ Mark, Ant and Lyndsey. Down the road, through the cathredral car park, down Rodney St, past where Rapid used to be, past Lime St and onto St Georgeā€™s Hall. The crowds were massive. Everybody seemed to be there,

Constantly bumping into familiar faces. The party atmosphere. Everything was perfect. The singing was non-stop. People were everywhere you could imagine, even in places you couldnā€™t imagine. And just like the previous night, me an me dad were singing our hearts out this time with many thousand like minded people.

Then as the night went on, me dadā€™s dodgy leg got worse and we split up from the rest of the family. Me and him went an sat down by the Empire only to get shifted by one of their staff. So we sat on one of the statues in front of the museum.

It started getting darker and colder and I didnā€™t have me coat with me so me dad was saying do you wanna go home, heā€™d had no tea so I was asking him the same question. Neither of us wanted to go an both of us were making excuses to stay, while trying to look like we were really concerned for the other. Were we F**k, we both only cared about staying. We both knew that.

Then over the tannoy we heard the coach would be at least another two hours. Must of been around nine we heard this, and then both of us started asking that question a little more strongly. But I wasnā€™t bothered about the cold and me dad wasnā€™t bothered by his hunger. The only thing that mattered was seeing our boys with our trophy.

Well if it was two hours, it flew by because it seemed to be there within half an hour. The first coach came down and everybody ran to see it, I think that was just the press bus though. Then came our boys. Our coach. Our trophy.

Me an me dad walked down from where we sat to this little clearing and the bus parked perfectly for us. Right in the middle of these two trees we had a great, clear view.

We saw the European Cup glisten in the dark while being lifted by Carra. At the back of the bus was Djimi and Djibril dancing around. I think little Luis Garcia got hold of the Cup while were there an all.

Then Youā€™ll Never Walk Alone was belted out by everybody and off we went again, crying our hearts out. God knows who was next to me, but I just grabbed him and started singing with him. That was the kind of night it was.

Walking home, me dadā€™s leg got worse and I had to run up Hope Street to ours to get the wheelchair for him. Then just as Iā€™m half way up the street, this car pulls up beside me with some random fella and his wife in and in the back is me dad. Theyā€™d said theyā€™d take us home. Only Liverpool fans could do that.

Weā€™d asked me mam to tape the homecoming on Sky Sports News before we left, so when we got home we watched it all over again. We asked Ste and Louise (the couple whoā€™d given us a lift home) to come in for a cuppa but they said they had to get home as they had work in the morning.

Well I had school but that was well not happening. I was too busy partying again. Another night with little, if any, kip. Too excited to kip.

And every time I think of that night I get that same excitement. I know Iā€™ll never witness a night like that again. Me dad was right about that. Itā€™s also a night Iā€™ll never forget.

It really was one of those one off nights. Nights that need to be cherished. I am delighted to say I saw it and to say I was there for the homecoming. The homecoming was so special as well.

Iā€™ll still remember these events as vividly in fifty years. Thatā€™s how special the night was.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #16: May 25, 2023 09:26:03 am
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #17: May 28, 2023 10:38:03 pm
      I went outside, pitch dark, early hours of the morning here in OZ....sat against the brick wall of my house crying at HT.

Got up, had 2 bongs and a cigarette and paced up and down for the whole interval.

Came inside, changed into my FA cup winning top and proceeded to watch us score three in 6 minutes and win on Pens.

Have not changed routine since, apart from the crying bit and now I wear that shirt for every match day.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #18: May 28, 2023 10:50:41 pm
      Hairs on the back of the neck job....even after all these years...That Gerrard header
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #19: May 28, 2023 11:48:50 pm
      Hairs on the back of the neck job....even after all these years...That Gerrard header

That Smicer hit with Baros moving out the way.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #20: Jun 01, 2023 03:04:30 pm
      That Smicer hit with Baros moving out the way.

That Xabi penalty miss, then slotting the rebound only to get garrotted by Baros in the celebrations, my wee boy was barely six months old and only the second time I wasnā€™t at home since his birth, I was a bag of sh*t worrying about my wee fella and as the third went in wanting to go f***in home and just hold him close, but my late mate, RIP you P**ck, persuaded me to stay, dunno why but I did, even if old rotten corpse took the piss, f**ker supported Blackburn so I laughed loudest and longest, anyhoo, after Stevie Gā€™s napper got the boys rallied and Vladi slotted the second I knew,

I canā€™t be the only one who has to think long and hard to decide what our best ever fight back was, from Super Sub David Fairclough in ā€˜77ā€™ Vs St Etienne, Dejan heading that last seconds winner Vs BvB, those glorious six minutes against arguably the best Ancelotti side ever, or that mad mad crazy Robbo/Messi head wobble in that 4-0 Catalan killing miracle in ā€˜19ā€™, (loved what Robbo did, basically saying, f**k you cunty Bollocks, This Is ANFIELD !!) this is our party!!

Tough call isnā€™t it ??

YNWA

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #21: Jun 01, 2023 03:16:03 pm
      I watched 1sts half in campus glasgow, got annoyed blamed that pub, moved onto another pub to watch the comeback, I was right campus was too blame. l o l

Walked thru park on way home singing YNWA. at midnight.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #22: Jun 03, 2023 12:53:35 am

That Xabi penalty miss, then slotting the rebound only to get garrotted by Baros in the celebrations, my wee boy was barely six months old and only the second time I wasnā€™t at home since his birth, I was a bag of sh*t worrying about my wee fella and as the third went in wanting to go f***in home and just hold him close, but my late mate, RIP you P**ck, persuaded me to stay, dunno why but I did, even if old rotten corpse took the piss, f**ker supported Blackburn so I laughed loudest and longest, anyhoo, after Stevie Gā€™s napper got the boys rallied and Vladi slotted the second I knew,

I canā€™t be the only one who has to think long and hard to decide what our best ever fight back was, from Super Sub David Fairclough in ā€˜77ā€™ Vs St Etienne, Dejan heading that last seconds winner Vs BvB, those glorious six minutes against arguably the best Ancelotti side ever, or that mad mad crazy Robbo/Messi head wobble in that 4-0 Catalan killing miracle in ā€˜19ā€™, (loved what Robbo did, basically saying, f**k you cunty Bollocks, This Is ANFIELD !!) this is our party!!

Tough call isnā€™t it ??

YNWA

Yeah, Milan almost clotheslined him to the ground!!

Quick Reply