Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Yoann Gourcuff (Olympique Lyonnais)

Read 8318 times
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Yoann Gourcuff (Olympique Lyonnais)
      May 27, 2011 01:08:34 am

Paul Doyle
      guardian.co.uk, Thursday 26 May 2011 08.46 BST

''Liverpool are contemplating trying to revive the career of Lyon enigma Yoann Gourcuff, who fluctuates puzzlingly from being the new Zinedine Zidane to the new Bruno Cheyrou.''

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/may/26/football-transfer-rumours-tottenham-hotspur
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Re: Yoann Gourcuff (Olympique Lyonnais)
      Reply #1: May 27, 2011 01:46:57 am
      But I'm confused, Bruno Chayrou is the new Zidane, so would that make Gourcuff the new Zidane or the new new Zidane?

I all seriousness though, I'm not sure about him for the very reasons they mention. He looked amazing at times but then seems to have slipped away. Maybe Neitsab can give us an idea of how he's been playing week in, week out.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2: May 27, 2011 01:51:46 am
      All I've heard are great things about him. Then I watch him play...
      Shemy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 591 posts |
      Reply #3: May 27, 2011 04:14:19 am
      too bad its not a guarantee signing him will unlock all that potential he has bottled up, no question hes talented but the guys head doesnt seem to be focused on football atm, he rather be a model/actor
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #4: May 27, 2011 04:25:17 am
      Absolutely brilliant at his best, his time at Bordeaux was brilliant. Crap at his worst though, definitely needs more consistency.

If anyone can get him going, its Kenny.
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #5: May 27, 2011 04:34:43 am
      His wiki says he cost 22M just a year ago. I can't imagine we'd spend anything near that on him?
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #6: May 27, 2011 04:38:41 am
      His wiki says he cost 22M just a year ago. I can't imagine we'd spend anything near that on him?

I'm sure we could negotiate lower as long as no other clubs came in, considering his form was not as good this season.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #7: May 27, 2011 02:19:24 pm
      Don't know why, but have a feeling he'd succeed here. More of a hunch than anything. Hasn't impressed me at Lyon this season though, and at his price he's probably a big risk.
      « Last Edit: May 27, 2011 02:31:36 pm by Dexter »
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #8: May 27, 2011 02:22:23 pm
      I think he's a proper quality player when he wants to be, but he does not appeared %100 fully focused or driven for what ever reasons, but Much like you Dexter I think he would succeed here and maybe the change of the secenery would help him focus on realising his potential.
      Tim LFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 765 posts | 15 
      Reply #9: May 27, 2011 02:31:11 pm
      He seems to have lost himself a bit. He needs guidance and Kenny can give him that. He could also learn from Gerrard as well. He needs to get away from Lyon and it will do him good. It helped Nasri moving away because you mature as a person. How much would he cost though.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #10: May 27, 2011 02:33:52 pm
      Actually rate him alot when he was at Bordeaux. Could yet fulfill his full potential here.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #11: May 27, 2011 05:36:28 pm
      Should add that he is proper man crush material as well :D Get him here playing good football, and you'll see this entire forum swooning :D
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #12: May 27, 2011 05:40:03 pm
      Should add that he is proper man crush material as well :D Get him here playing good football, and you'll see this entire forum swooning :D

I rate him mate, said myself I'd like him here a few weeks ago in the who would you want this summer thread.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #13: May 27, 2011 05:44:18 pm
      I rate him mate, said myself I'd like him here a few weeks ago in the who would you want this summer thread.

Haven't really checked that thread, but its a good pick. I truly believe that Kenny would be one of the best managers you could ask for to get the most out of Yoann's talents. He's shown with Jay, Lucas and Meireles the effect he can have.

Remember watching in awe at some of his games at Bordeaux. Ya have to wonder if his form took a dip this year after the horror show that was the French in South Africa. Getting out of France could do a world of good for him.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #14: May 27, 2011 05:48:34 pm

Remember watching in awe at some of his games at Bordeaux. Ya have to wonder if his form took a dip this year after the horror show that was the French in South Africa. Getting out of France could do a world of good for him.

I just don't think he's the right fit for Lyon to be honest, similar to Torres at Chelsea at some clubs you just click and everything falls into place others it doesn't and you struggle.

Whether it be changes to tactics, manager, coaches, training etc etc, but he definitely has potential to be one of the worlds best, but agree he could probably realise that potential at Liverpool under Kenny's tutoring.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #15: May 27, 2011 06:25:10 pm
      He would be another Diego type signing a complete gamble that could go either way. Both players have been fairly mediocre for 2 clubs
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #16: May 27, 2011 06:50:11 pm
      Of all the CM's that we've been linked with to replace Aqua (Adam, Diego, Parker, McCarthy) I think Gourcuff would be the best option.  He was class at Bordeaux and he still has bags of talent and potential.  I think being surrounded by players like Gerrard, Suarez, and Carrol along with having the inspirational leadership of KK to guide him would bring the best out of him.  Also, having the backing of the best fans in the world would be great for his confidence  ;D
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #17: May 27, 2011 07:07:19 pm
      An interesting interview with the player here. I appreciate it's in French, but there are a lot of honest quotes from the player himself, I've highlighted the relevant ones and will sum them up after the article.

Gourcuff : "Peur de prendre des responsabilités"

Yoann Gourcuff a mis des mots sur ce que tout le monde constate à son sujet cette saison : il ne prend pas ses responsabilités, il a perdu le plaisir de jouer et il n'est plus en mesure de tenter les gestes qui l'ont rendu international. Il assure aussi vouloir rester à Lyon.

Qu'il le veuille ou non - et il ne le veut pas trop - il est une star du foot français depuis la saison 2008-2009, où son niveau de jeu avec Bordeaux l'a placé dans la case des joueurs "à part", les fuoriclasse comme on dit en Italie. Quand Yoann Gourcuff apparaît sur un plateau télé, c'est un événement, et ce qu'il avait à dire dimanche sur Canal+ était susceptible d'éclairer se mauvaise passe à l'OL, où il n'est plus titulaire indiscutable et avec qui il reste sur une sortie à la pause sur le terrain du PSG (1-0). Sur le plateau du CFC, Gourcuff n'a pas fait de déclaration fracassante, dimanche, mais il a mis des mots clairs et courageux sur ce que tout le monde constate depuis des semaines. "J'ai perdu beaucoup de spontanéité dans mon jeu, je réfléchis plus, je prends moins de responsabilités" a-t-il dû admettre, confronté aux images de son automne-hiver 2008-2009. "Je ne me sens pas trop capable de faire des gestes comme ça, qui sont la conséquence de certitudes avec le ballon".

Une urgence pour Goucuff, qui a traîné sa peine durant toute l'année 2010 et le début de l'année 2011 : "Retrouver du plaisir sur le terrain et essayer de...(hésitation) retenter des choses, quitte à louper. Il ne faut pas être timide. Si on l'est, on ne peut pas faire de grandes choses. J'ai peur de prendre des responsabilités aujourd'hui, je ne devrais pas. Si je loupe, ce n'est pas grave. Il faut que je trouve le plaisir, c'est ce qui m'a fait avancer dans ma carrière."

"Je suis déçu de ce que je fais..."

Gourcuff reconnaît que la pression médiatique lui pèse
      : "Je n'ai rien demandé, je fais du football, c'est vous qui faites ce que vous voulez" a-t-il dit aux journalistes du plateau. Pierre Ménès lui a demandé si l'effervescence qu'il suscite pouvait le conduire à s'exiler à l'étranger. En hésitant, il a bredouillé un "non" trop long à venir pour être honnête, ajoutant : "On peut être mal à l'aise, je suis discret. Avant on parlait de moi en bien, maintenant en mal, dans les deux cas, c'est un peu exagéré, ça ne convient pas trop à  ma personnalité et ma façon d'être." Suite à une autre question sur la tentation de l'étranger, il a complété : "Non, je ne sais pas, pour l'instant je suis bien à Lyon, je viens d'arriver et je n'ai pas totalement pris mes marques. C'est un bon groupe et j'ai envie de faire de très belles choses avec Lyon. Je suis déçu de ce que je fais, je n'arrive pas trop à me lâcher."

Interrogé sur l'écart entre la qualité de ses prestations à Lyon et en équipe de France, Gourcuff a surtout cherché à écarter l'hypothèse d'une 'Puel-incompatibilité'. "Je ne sais pas, c'est difficile de répondre. Il  y a eu une interprétation à partir du moment où un journaliste m'a posé la question sur la différence entre les deux entraîneurs. J'ai dit ce que je pensais sincèrement et après ça a été mal pris." Une certitude au moins après ces dix minutes d'entretien : Gourcuff a enfin une évaluation juste de ses performances, après de longs mois de dénégations.

Eurosport.fr

Gourcuff states that, following his excellent football with Bordeaux, when he moved to Lyon he was basically put under the spotlight in the media. His every move was analysed, the French public obviously had high hopes for him internationally, and all this has weighed heavily on his shoulders.

He says he has somewhat lost the simple pleasure of playing the game, and has played less instinctively for fear of making errors, leading him to be far less effective. For him, this is the centre of the problem, though doesn't seem to put his finger on a solution.

The question is raised as to whether the change of manager has also had an impact on his game.

Whilst I have absolutely no idea whether we are genuinely looking to sign him, I do think that surrounded by Kenny and our Liverpool "family", he would feel protected and encouraged to play his game. We know Kenny stands up for his players against the media, perhaps this support would help this seemingly honest, shy player to return to his best.

On the downside, he says at the beginning of the article that he doesn't plan to move! :D
      lerpwl_am_byth
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 566 posts |
      Reply #18: May 29, 2011 10:16:02 am
      Big admirer of this fella, but not sure we need another central attacking midfielder. We need a minimum of one winger with a couple of defenders, but not another CAM.
      PenguinOfTroy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 17 
      • One by one the penguins steal my sanity
      Reply #19: May 29, 2011 06:49:17 pm
      And he's sooooooo dreamy *swoons*
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #20: May 29, 2011 07:04:18 pm
      Absolutely sublime player, when he wants to be.

I think Kenny would bring some consistency to his game though, would be a good signing i feel.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #21: May 29, 2011 07:56:26 pm
      Something missing from this thread.

Yoann Gourcuff - It's Just Magic || HD || 16:9 ||

;D
      anfieldroad
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 582 posts | 18 
      Reply #22: May 29, 2011 08:58:45 pm
      would be a great addition to us IMO i think we need to lose at least 2 midfielders in the summer and bring 1 high profile signing in, Javier Pastore would be my 1st choice though, there was small press talk linking him to us a week or so ago but it seems dead in the water, however would probably cost a great deal more than gourcuff.

Quick Reply